Old 2010-01-18 , 11:07
Knows how to use a remote

Default DSD990 still OK for new subscriptions?

If one subscribes to DStv (i.e. new account), would the DSD990 still be usable? That is, would DStv issue a SIM that would be compatible with the DSD990, in the light of the fact that the DSD1110 and its SIM must now travel together.

Thanks
Jack
Old 2010-01-18 , 11:12
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

You definitely can use a dsd990 with a new subscription. You don't need to be issued a new smartcard. You just need to register the smartcard that came with the decoder.
Old 2010-01-18 , 11:18
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit View Post
You definitely can use a dsd990 with a new subscription. You don't need to be issued a new smartcard. You just need to register the smartcard that came with the decoder.
Now there is an interesting thought! Can a SC from one of the newer decoders (HD, 1110, 1131, SD) be used in an older decoder without any problems,by simply registering it against that decoder also?

May be an insteresting solution to the "travelling on Holiday" issue.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2010-01-18 , 11:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Now there is an interesting thought! Can a SC from one of the newer decoders (HD, 1110, 1131, SD) be used in an older decoder without any problems,by simply registering it against that decoder also?
Good question...
Old 2010-01-18 , 11:35
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Quote:

It is an interesting thought that maybe C4 or someone in the know could comment on but from my understanding the new smartcards must be locked to the decoder. So if the new smart cards are compatible with old decoders (no software changes needed) then they should not work in a different new decoders. If the new smart cards are not compatible with old decoders then Multichoice must have to carry stock of the older smart cards in case someone for some bizarre reason looses the smart card that came with their older decoder.

Last edited by gambit; 2010-01-18 at 11:41. .
Old 2010-01-18 , 11:39
Changes remote batteries daily

We had a DSD990 with a very old card, when the card gave up MC swopped it for R80. This was while the DSD1110 was in stores.
Look what they made, they made it for me, happy technology.
Old 2010-01-18 , 14:24
MultiChoice | Customer Care

Quote:

Hi,

If the smartcard has already been 'paired' with the new decoder, then you cannot just re-insert it into an old decoder, because it will not work.

If, on your older, non-secure decoders, your smartcard is somehow faulty or missing, you can purchase a new smartcard at any agency or branch, where they will immediately link the new smartcard to the decoder on your account.

The current cost for a smartcard is around R 120.00.
Old 2010-01-18 , 14:40
A big, eagle-eyed baobab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCA CCS Natasha View Post
Hi,

If the smartcard has already been 'paired' with the new decoder, then you cannot just re-insert it into an old decoder, because it will not work.

If, on your older, non-secure decoders, your smartcard is somehow faulty or missing, you can purchase a new smartcard at any agency or branch, where they will immediately link the new smartcard to the decoder on your account.

The current cost for a smartcard is around R 120.00.
Sorry I'm not quite up to date on all this smartcard stuff & thought everything had to be paired, I have a 910 card, if I activate this can it be used on a 990 decoder?

And if I activate it for a weekend will I just get charged pro rata or will I also be billed connection and/or disconnection fees?
Old 2010-01-18 , 15:08

When I replaced my broken DSD660 with a DSD990, I migrated my SC from the former to the latter. The DSD990 also packed up, but has since been repaired, so I can now pair it with its original SC, which has never been previously used or paired.
Old 2012-05-30 , 17:10
Still gets up to change channels

Hi, same question just 2 years later :-) I have an old DSD990 (with its smart card) at home & would like to sell/transfer it to a colleague at work. Can this decoder still be used?