Forum > Content > General > Twin Peaks mania hits M-Net in May
Old 2017-05-05 , 17:38

Default Twin Peaks mania hits M-Net in May

Twenty-five years ago, a dark murder-mystery unfolded every week on television in the peculiar little town of Twin Peaks. That thrilling drama became a hit cult classic and now, more than two decades later, M-Net is bringing viewers the brand new season of the show that had everyone asking, “Who killed Laura Palmer?”

Starting Tuesday 23 May at 21:30 on M-Net channel 101 on DStv, a new season of Twin Peaks will immerse fans in a fresh era of dark mystery, helmed by acclaimed director David Lynch, creator of the original ground-breaking series. The much-anticipated revival will see Golden Globe winner and Emmy®Award nominee Kyle MacLachlan reprise his role as FBI Agent Dale Cooper.

And that’s not all: hardcore fans and newly-intrigued interlopers will be delighted to know that M-Net will also be screening the first two seasons of the cult classic for a binge-worthy refresher course like no other.

On Saturday 6 May, M-Net Binge channel 900 on DStv will be airing the original season one of Twin Peaks, where the dark side of the 90s began. Viewers can catch all 9 episodes of season one from 21:30 to around 04:00, or record these for an ultimate murder-mystery binge experience later. Then, on Sunday 7 May viewers can get hooked on season two of Twin Peaks, in back-to-back episodes from 21:30 to around 04:00. Thereafter, season two will continue on Saturday 13 May from 21:30 to around 04:00 and finally, viewers will be all caught up with season two’s conclusion by Sunday 14 May from 21:30 to around midnight.

Following a brutal murder in a quaint town, Twin Peaks unpacks the sometimes-eerie-mostly-disturbing investigation into the death of high-school homecoming queen and popular student, Laura Palmer. For a town filled with secrets, Twin Peaks revealed much more than the killer and delved instead into a darker examination of human nature.

Though shrouded in mystery, the new season promises to be a continuation of where the old one left off, meaning that viewers can expect more drama, intrigue and chilling homicide.

Returning cast members alongside MachLachlan include show creator David Lynch himself, Sherilyn Fenn (Shameless), Mädchen Amick (Riverdale), Dana Ashbrook (Chicago P.D., Rosewood), James Marshall (A Few Good Men), Peggy Lipton (A Dog’s Purpose), Everett McGill (JAG), Wendy Robie (The Magnificent Seven) and Sheryl Lee (Dirty Sexy Money, Rosewood).

Newly added cast members include Laura Dern (Big Little Lies), Naomi Watts (Diana), James Belushi (According to Jim), Michael Cera (Arrested Development), Jennifer Jason Leigh (Weeds) and Tim Roth (Pulp Fiction). Series creators and executive producers David Lynch and Mark Frost are on board to write and produce all nine episodes of the limited series. Four-time Oscar® nominee David Lynch will direct every episode.

For more information and updated schedules, visit mnet.tv. Follow M-Net on Twitter @MNet (#TwinPeaks #MNetBinge) and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/MNet/
Old 2017-05-05 , 18:08
Knows how to use a remote

Thanks for the info. In terms of the 'refresher', wouldn't it also be worth showing the Twin Peaks movie (Fire Walks With Me)? It was a prequel,had a rather different tone and was polarising in terms of fan reception, but for the sake of completeness it seems a good opportunity to show it.
Old 2017-05-05 , 18:35
Changes remote batteries hourly

Here's an old IMDb.com review about the original series, it's convinced me... damn! I already watch too much TV

User Reviews

David Lynch's masterpiece
9 February 2003 | by Mike (St Louis, MO)

I have to admit when I first watched the pilot episode of Twin Peaks a couple of years ago, I wasn't sure what to think. I knew about David Lynch, having recently seen Blue Velvet, and I knew he was a director that was on the outlandish side. I borrowed the rest of the series from a friend, and after I watched the first 3 or 4 episodes, I was still scratching my head. I thought the murder premise was well done but I kept asking myself "why are these characters so strange?"

However, as I got more into the series, I found myself obsessively hooked. The series, in it's own ominous way, was extremely funny and there were so many great one liners ("that's a damn good cup of coffee") and the characters kept you second guessing. Though some characters were obviously villains, others had intentions that were often indistinguishable.

As I relentlessly watched the show over a three week period, I found myself laughing out loud and being disturbed at the same time. Ben Horne's meltdown is one of the funniest things I have ever seen in any TV series, I chuckle just thinking about it. Only David Lynch could think of something that was so eccentric and funny at the same time.

So in the end, I must say I found this show endlessly amusing. Almost every person on the show has their own idiosyncrasy, appearances by future stars like Heather Graham and David Duchovny injected humor and depth into the show, and heck, there was a sheriff named Harry S Truman, what else do you need?

I am glad to see the first season is on DVD, I can't wait until the rest is released. I wish this show had been on much longer but it is such a bizarre show that I can understand why mainstream America did not understand it. I wouldn't recommend this show to anyone that likes TV shows which are light-hearted or straightforward. Be warned, the final episode is completely bizarre, and not necessarily funny.

As a whole, the show has a very alien feel to it and may chase many people away, but if you understand David Lynch's warped sense of humor and can see the sheer lunacy of the show, you will find it endlessly entertaining.
Old 2017-05-05 , 20:22

As someone who's watched both series, I can say they're definitely worth watching, but very different to most stuff you see on TV. When you watch the bizarre pilot, you'll wonder what you've got yourself into, but the first series in particular has a great atmosphere and an excellent cast. The second series has more episodes and inevitably strays closer to soap territory, but by then you'll either be hooked or have stopped watching.
Old 2017-05-05 , 21:22

The numbering of the episodes on the binge channel is erratic. We are missing 2 episodes between the first and second series?

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
Old 2017-05-05 , 21:47
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleOCD View Post
The numbering of the episodes on the binge channel is erratic. We are missing 2 episodes between the first and second series?

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
I was just about to ask the same question. I suspect it is just the numbering that is wrong though as the episode titles appear to be correct.

We go from Season 1 episode 9 to season 2 episode 13 though? Why does season 2 episode numbering not start at 1 as it should? This has been discussed many times on the forum in the past and MC agreed this is the correct way.
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2017-05-06 , 08:24

I decided not to post about the episode numbering last night, was worried that with the current Explora bug (if still at large) a late change could do more harm than good...

To add to the confusion - according to Wiki the first season only has 8 episodes, so the channel would seem to have sub-divided again although I can't think why in this case as it's all only being used once and back-to-back

Anyway, as long as it works. I've set SBR's - Hope great care has been taken to accurately schedule and have enough of a lead in for each episode so we don't miss any important bits.
Old 2017-05-06 , 09:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Portia View Post
On Saturday 6 May, M-Net Binge channel 900 on DStv will be airing the original season one of Twin Peaks, where the dark side of the 90s began. Viewers can catch all 9 episodes of season one from 21:30 to around 04:00, or record these for an ultimate murder-mystery binge experience later. Then, on Sunday 7 May viewers can get hooked on season two of Twin Peaks, in back-to-back episodes from 21:30 to around 04:00. Thereafter, season two will continue on Saturday 13 May from 21:30 to around 04:00 and finally, viewers will be all caught up with season two’s conclusion by Sunday 14 May from 21:30 to around midnight.
Sat. 6 (tonight) - scheduled to end @ 05:00 on Sun. morning.
Sun. 7 - scheduled to end @ 05:00 on Mon. morning.
Sat. 13 - the last one ends @ 00:43 on the morning of Sun. the 14th.
Sun. 14 (seen on the online guide) - only scheduled to start @ 22:20, the last one ends @ 01:45 on the morning of Mon. the 15th.
Season 2 ends with episode "35", which means there's 23 episodes for this season from the channel (Wiki says there should be 22).

Thanks to MC Portia for her efforts, thumbs down to the people who supply her with info etc... so unprofessional :-/
Old 2017-05-06 , 11:11
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
To add to the confusion - according to Wiki the first season only has 8 episodes, so the channel would seem to have sub-divided again although I can't think why in this case as it's all only being used once and back-to-back
The first episodes of each of the season were originally double length episodes, but are being shown as two parts, which accounts for the extra episodes. It might not be the channel's fault as the episodes may have been split for future broadcast and that's how it was supplied to them.
Old 2017-05-06 , 11:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citanul View Post
The first episodes of each of the season were originally double length episodes, but are being shown as two parts, which accounts for the extra episodes. It might not be the channel's fault as the episodes may have been split for future broadcast and that's how it was supplied to them.
Thanks Citanul, good to hear this isn't one of the problems then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDavid View Post
As someone who's watched both series, I can say they're definitely worth watching, but very different to most stuff you see on TV. When you watch the bizarre pilot, you'll wonder what you've got yourself into, but the first series in particular has a great atmosphere and an excellent cast. The second series has more episodes and inevitably strays closer to soap territory, but by then you'll either be hooked or have stopped watching.
Have any of you who've seen it also seen Fargo? Sounds like it could be a similar type of bizarreness