Forum > Decoders > Installation > Explora Multi-switch Query
Old 2017-04-20 , 10:09
Knows how to use a remote

Default Explora Multi-switch Query

Is it just me, maybe I am misunderstanding something but if I read through the installation manual for the Explora multi-switch (original one) it states that you cannot have 2 Explora's connected to the Explora switches (ie ports A and B) at the same time

Why then would you ship such a device with 2 ports if you cannot use both ports. Should have just shipped with one

The solution it seems is to daisy chain 2 multi-switches together and connect them via the ports 1 and 2 on the out and the dual lnb in ports on the other and then have one explora connected to the first multi-switch on Port A and then the other explora connected to Port B on the second multi-switch

These seems rather tedious to me

Am I missing something

PS - Anyone reading my thread about my problem with the SLNB please not that my above query relates to before I bought the SLNB so while this is no longer my setup my question is still valid

Thanks
Mark
Extraview 2 : Coming Soon
Cables : Many
Old 2017-04-20 , 10:25
Changes remote batteries daily

Had something to do with the tuner frequencies IIRC , but I'm sure someone will correct me
100/50 Fibre (OpenServe/AH Capped)
------------------------------------------
DSD1110 in holiday mode
DSTV Mobile via Drifta WiFi (S5& iPad)
Old 2017-04-20 , 10:28
Changes remote batteries hourly

Firstly, please don't call them Explora "MultiSwitches" as they're not purely that and it confuses - they're just called Explora Switches (ES), and the latest 24-1Z model is also called a Smart Switch

They haven't been supplied with Exploras for ages now, anyone buying a new Explora, of either model available, has to buy one separately (if that's what they chose to use).

Daisy chaining of the old ES units could work, but with future "Hi Band" changes coming it would be more complex than you suggest - four universal outputs from ES1 would have to feed the 4 universal inputs on ES2.
So just academic, hardly a practical consideration.
More is explained in this thread: Explora Switch (ES) / Smart Switch installations and settings
Old 2017-04-20 , 11:29
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

it depends on the decoders you are gonna connect and also which model of explora switch you have.
5-1 switch doesn't allow both ports.
5-2 switch allows both ports but is restricted by userbands, so only like models of explora decoders will work.
Old 2017-04-20 , 11:32

MC FS is referring to just using one ES. Daisy chaining would still work, but doing it that way is diminishing the signals so never recommended.
Old 2017-04-20 , 12:45
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
...... Daisy chaining would still work, but doing it that way is diminishing the signals so never recommended.
Out of interest we still have daisy chained Multiswitches in our Complex's distribution cabinets; these feed two signal cables to each apartment.

Also, before the 24-1Z came along, I had two 5.2 Explora switches daisy-chained in my HT rack, feeding 3 Explorae and a 2P Absolutely no issues at all and excellent signal quality and strength.

Provided the incoming signal from the antenna is excellent and the switches (Spaun in our case) cabling and connectors are all of good quality, then daisy chaining is not an issue.

Cheers, K.
Old 2017-04-20 , 12:51

Hi

Look I understand that daisy chaining will work

I am just confused as to why the 5-1 came out with a Port A and Port B for the explora's if you could use both together. Surely it should just have come with 1 Port A

Unless the flaw was already known and 5-2 was already in the pipe line?
Old 2017-04-20 , 12:59

Agreed Sandtonman, although that is a more professional communal application. Single unit setups wouldn't normally be equipped to handle the load with any certainty.

@Mark - the 5-1 was either determined to not be capable enough or faulty after launch, or couldn't meet more modern requirements at that stage.
As per my other thread on the subject, it can work with both ports, but success is uncertain at best.

All years ago though...
I can't see the point of going on with this thread's subject, so that's it from me. Need to give my time to your other thread.
Old 2017-04-20 , 13:07

Thanks for the input

I know its irrelevant

Was just asking out of curiosity. A thirst for knowledge

:->
Old 2017-04-20 , 13:15
Technical Myriad

Agreed to most of what has already been stated.

The ES 5-1 was certainly intended to allow for 2 Explora decoders to be connected one to each port.

The ES 5-1 switch provided with the Explora 1 was found to not work too well when both ports A and B were used. Hence why MC started informing us that the better way at that time would be to daisy chain two ES 5-1 switches when connecting 2 Exploras to one signal setup.

MC then released the ES 5-2 shortly after that presumably after sorting out the issue with the ES design. The ES 5-2 works very well. I have one available for testing Explora decoders.

At this late stage in the process, the discussion on the use of the ES 5-1 is moot at best. The better solution for a home user would be to replace the ES 5-1 and existing TWIN LNB with a SLNB.

PS: I am currently running a setup that includes the use of a ES 5-1 connected to a 2 x 6 MS as a temporary measure and it is working perfectly well.

The 5-1 switch is one that was given to me as being broken and I fixed it by simply replacing a connector.

I will be testing a so-called problematic Explora 1 soon and will connect it to the same setup but using both a the 5-1 and the 5-2 switch s part of the tests.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15