Forum > Decoders > Installation > Smart Lnb + 2 seperate dstv subscriptions
Old 2017-04-19 , 20:54
Knows how to use a remote

Default Smart Lnb + 2 seperate dstv subscriptions

My parents have just moved into the granny flat we built them

I bought a smart lnb with the view of using the 3rd xtraview option in the grannt flat and not have to run a new heartbeat cable but rather put a diplexer at each explora (primary decoder is explora and so is decoder in granny flat)

I havent managed to get the diplexers yet so have been trying to run both subscriptions (mine and theirs) off the smart lnb. Is this allowed and possible?

I had it working but had to change the user bands of the home network of one decoder. This only lasted a couple of hours though

It seems to me the 2 subscriptions interfere with each other. I can get tuners 1 and 3 to pick up signal on primary decoder but not tuner 2 but then i get tuner 2 on tertiary decoder but not tuners 1 and 3 so a reverse of primary decoder

I know this is all irrelevant as i am going to install the diplexers and cancell the one dstv subscription but i would still however like to know if it is possible. 2 seperate dstv subscriptions on 1 smart lnb.

Thnx
Mark
Old 2017-04-20 , 07:25
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Cant see why not. Your decoders setup like this?

Explora 1:
Tuner 1 - Index 0 - Frequency 1210
Tuner 2 - Index 1 - Frequency 1420
Tuner 3 - Index 2 - Frequency 1680

Explora 2
Tuner 1 - Index 3 - Frequency 2040
Tuner 2 - Index 4 - Frequency 1006
Tuner 3 - Index 5 - Frequency 1057
Old 2017-04-20 , 08:45
Technical Myriad

The process of linking the decoders together under one subscription is completely separate to the process of setting up the hardware. So, if you have set the user bands as indicated by Shaun, both subscription should work fine and not interfere with each other.

Which Explora decoders are you referring to? Explora 1 or Explora 2A?

Only the Explora 1 decoders and the HD decoder ( single view) will require diplexers if you want to use the LNB cabling for the HB connection.

What is important is to avoid any sharing of user bands between decoders connected to one SLNB.

Which model SLNB do you have in place? LMX501 or the older one LMX 500?

With an SLNB in place, remember, that power must always be available to the SLNB. You cannot switch off the decoders completely ever.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-04-20 , 09:24

Hi

Yes I will be getting the diplexers for the heartbeart for both Explora's as my ulimate solution in having extraview 3 in the flat and cancelling my parents current subscription. the 2 seperate subscriptions for now is just as an interim until I get the diplexers

Initally I had lots of hassles with the 2 decoders "interfering" with each and other and then finally realized it was the user bands so I changed them to be completely different for all 3 tuners and indexes on both explora's. Does it matter which set of user bands I use on which decoder and SLNB port. currently the port B/ granny flat explora has the default user band settings and my explora in the lounge I changed the user bands

I have the original model 1 Explora as primary and in granny flat

Like I said this was working 100% fine, went to bed, woke up and it had stopped working. Both decoders were saying no signal. Checked the LNB it was fine. Rebooted my Decoder and Tuner 1 and Tuner 3 came back but not Tuner 2

Check my parents explora and none of the tuners had signal. Even hard rebooted by pulling power and nothing. Eventually took out the unicable connection to decoder and put back and now it has Tuner 2 (the one I am missing) but nothing else so they can basically watch catch up but nothing else.

I have realized that the decoders need to be on. Turning them off causes havoc on the other decoder for some reason
Old 2017-04-20 , 09:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
The process of linking the decoders together under one subscription is completely separate to the process of setting up the hardware. So, if you have set the user bands as indicated by Shaun, both subscription should work fine and not interfere with each other.
Yup have definately changed the user bands. Explora in my parents place has the default user bands. Explora in my place has the following user band settings

Quote:
Which Explora decoders are you referring to? Explora 1 or Explora 2A?
Both are Explora 1

Quote:
Only the Explora 1 decoders and the HD decoder ( single view) will require diplexers if you want to use the LNB cabling for the HB connection.
Will be using 1 diplexer at each Explora

Quote:
What is important is to avoid any sharing of user bands between decoders connected to one SLNB.
Both decoders have completely different user band frequencies and indexs for all 3 tuners

Quote:
Which model SLNB do you have in place? LMX501 or the older one LMX 500?
Think its the LMX501 the newer one. Has 3 unicable connections and one universal legacy connection

Quote:
With an SLNB in place, remember, that power must always be available to the SLNB. You cannot switch off the decoders completely ever.
What is the reasoning for this. Is this for the Heart Beat. I mean with 2 seperate decoders on 2 seperate subsciptions why does switching decoder off in say my parents place affect mine?

Last edited by mbeylis; 2017-04-20 at 09:37. .
Old 2017-04-20 , 09:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunB View Post
Cant see why not. Your decoders setup like this?

Explora 1:

Explora 2
Tuner 1 - Index 3 - Frequency 2040
Tuner 2 - Index 4 - Frequency 1006
Tuner 3 - Index 5 - Frequency 1057
Does it matter which decoder is which?

Mine are as follows

Explora 1: (parents)

Explora 2 (mine)
Tuner 1 - Index 6 - Frequency 1108
Tuner 2 - Index 7 - Frequency 1159
Tuner 3 - Index 8 - Frequency 1261
Old 2017-04-20 , 09:57
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

@ Mbeylis can you remove your parents explora's lnb cable and than run your decoder only on the smart Lnb and than confirm if it works. if it does than do the same to your parents and remove your lnb cable and see if their decoder still works. Than If their decoder works alone also , there than should be no reason why your having issues, especially since you have changed the userbands
Old 2017-04-20 , 10:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Field Services View Post
@ Mbeylis can you remove your parents explora's lnb cable and than run your decoder only on the smart Lnb and than confirm if it works. if it does than do the same to your parents and remove your lnb cable and see if their decoder still works. Than If their decoder works alone also , there than should be no reason why your having issues, especially since you have changed the userbands
Will give this a try and let you know. Can I simply unplug from back of the explora and not the actual SLNB ( bit of shlep getting up there all the time)

I do seem to recall in all my various testing over the weekend that if I turned off one decoder then the other seemed fine. Almost as if they were fighting for signal but I will confirm this this afternoon
Old 2017-04-20 , 10:06
Changes remote batteries hourly

Hi,

Firstly, it does not matter which Explora gets which settings.

However at this stage tuner 1 still has a limited range of what indexes it can use - can't remember exactly, but it will definitely be safe if you change the second Explora (whichever one you choose to call that) to ShaunB's settings given for Indexes 3, 4 & 5.

Always set all the Indexes first, then the Frequencies. (Just works better with setting it up.)

Never turn off any decoder, unless away for a lengthy period or suspending one's subscription. They need to always be "in touch".
However, doing so should not cause an issue with another decoder on a separate subscription.
For the future - on the single subscription you plan, turning off the designated primary decoder will prevent either of the other two from working, after about half an hour.

Explora Tuner 2 - it only gives correct readings when a recording is underway. So not getting a reading is not indicative of a fault. (You may get a false phantom reading anyway.)
Tuner 2 has nothing to do with getting or watching CU (Catch Up). To watch anything on the HDD (harddrive) does not require a tuner.

Let's see how you go from there.
Old 2017-04-20 , 10:13

What is the purpose of Tuner 1, 2 and 3

I thought Tuner 1 was responsible for Live TV, from the previous post it would appear Tuner 2 is for recording? and Tuner 3

What is strange to me is that while I pick up Tuner 1 and Tuner 2 on my decoder the other decoder does not and they are connected to the same SLNB hence it cant be LNB aligned and I have triple checked each cable and connection

I will try changing the userbands of the one decoder to that suggested by Shaun and see if that helps

Thnx