Forum > Decoders > Installation > Using multiswitch packaged with old Explora
Old 2017-04-05 , 10:23
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly View Post
Thank you.

So the adjustments as per Jan above involve changing the indexes? How do I go about doing this? Is it in the settings menu on the decoders?

Is there a preferred userband for the primary decoder?
It involves changing the Indexes (what he has just called "user bands") and the associated Frequencies.
Note that his first section is just there to confirm you've got the correct settings on the old Explora model 1.
Go to Settings \ Satellite Settings \ Home Network

There's no preferred userband indexes, but just stick to Jan's tables and there won't be any problems. His Explora 1 section is the defaults.
Old 2017-04-05 , 10:57
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

A user manual Screenshot of the recommended settings for using two Explores of the same model with the MS note the difference to my original post because the limited user bands on the switch.

To change the settings go Blue DSTV button goto settings>Satelite settings> home network
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dstv Multi switch.JPG (90.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 2017-04-05 , 11:08

It's not called a "MS" Jan.

For clarity - note that Jan is now referring to the option if you end up using 2 x Explora 2A models.
Also note that the tabled frequencies in the screenshot are not the same as his earlier post, those in the screenshot were the original ES frequencies recommended and so should be used instead if ending up using the ES.
Lastly note that in this table MC made a mistake and mixed up where they used the technical terms "index" and "frequency".

I suggest we leave it there until Curly has made decisions and asks anything further, else this thread could become confusing again.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-04-05 at 12:08. . Reason: Typo
Old 2017-04-05 , 11:18

BTW, all these ES considerations, and more, are explained in post #3 of Smart LNB (SLNB) installations and settings
Old 2017-04-05 , 12:38
Technical Myriad

Just for the sake of clarity:

(1) The Explora Switch (ES) version 5-1 never really worked properly with two Explora model 1 decoders connected ports A and B. Port A was the only one that worked reliably.

(2) The ES version 5-2 did support two Explora model 1 decoders connected to ports A and B, but with the second Explora model 1 requiring the changes as posted by Jan in with the attachment.

(3) MC Field Services states that you cannot mix Explora models and connect them to ports A and B on an Explora switch version 5-2. The reason is the Explora model 2A cannot share userbands with other decoders.

(4) The only future proof installation (at the moment) is to replace a TWIN LNB and ES (either version) with a SLNB 501.

What has not been tested and shown to work of not is the following:

(a) An Explora 2A connected to port A on either of the ES switches 5-1 or 5-2.
(b) The connection of an Explora model 2A to port A and an older Explora connected to port B on a 5-2 switch.

Someone with the decoders available could do us all a favour by testing the above scenarios.

The reason why this would be useful to know is to be able to come up with temporary fixes for persons who are not able to easily get their installations upgraded when faced with decoder failures such as @Curly posted.

On the surface anyway, the only reason why this would not work would be because the Explora 2A cannot share any userbands with another decoder.

So @ Curly, we would really be very interested to know which model ES you have available.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-04-05 at 12:41. .
Old 2017-04-05 , 14:30
Knows how to use a remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
It's not called a "MS" Jan.

For clarity - note that Jan is now referring to the option if you end up using 2 x Explora 2A models.
Also note that the tabled frequencies in the screenshot are not the same as his earlier post, those in the screenshot were the original ES frequencies recommended and so should be used instead if ending up using the ES.
Lastly note that in this table MC made a mistake and mixed up where they used the technical terms "index" and "frequency".

I suggest we leave it there until Curly has made decisions and asks anything further, else this thread could become confusing again.
I assumed after MC Fields stated that mixing of different exploras will not work, I have bought two Explora 2A decoders. I want to try them both out together on the ES switch. In this scenario, as per Jan's breakdown of indexes, the "old explora" settings will be for one of the explora 2A decoders, and the second setting will be for the other explroa 2A decoder, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Just for the sake of clarity:

(1) The Explora Switch (ES) version 5-1 never really worked properly with two Explora model 1 decoders connected ports A and B. Port A was the only one that worked reliably.

(2) The ES version 5-2 did support two Explora model 1 decoders connected to ports A and B, but with the second Explora model 1 requiring the changes as posted by Jan in with the attachment.

(3) MC Field Services states that you cannot mix Explora models and connect them to ports A and B on an Explora switch version 5-2. The reason is the Explora model 2A cannot share userbands with other decoders.

(4) The only future proof installation (at the moment) is to replace a TWIN LNB and ES (either version) with a SLNB 501.

What has not been tested and shown to work of not is the following:

(a) An Explora 2A connected to port A on either of the ES switches 5-1 or 5-2.
(b) The connection of an Explora model 2A to port A and an older Explora connected to port B on a 5-2 switch.

Someone with the decoders available could do us all a favour by testing the above scenarios.

The reason why this would be useful to know is to be able to come up with temporary fixes for persons who are not able to easily get their installations upgraded when faced with decoder failures such as @Curly posted.

On the surface anyway, the only reason why this would not work would be because the Explora 2A cannot share any userbands with another decoder.

So @ Curly, we would really be very interested to know which model ES you have available.
I will gladly test out the highlighted options above. Just need to find the time to disrupt the home TV viewing this evening.

In option A above, will you require me to test out an Explora 2A and old Explora together on a ES 5-1 or 5-2 switch, with the 2A going to unicable port A and the old explora to unicable port B? If so, I take it I will have to change the indexes as stated previously?

As an aside, my two explora 2A decoders have not been setup on MC side as yet, so will checking the connection via channel 100 be sufficient for the tests?

I will confirm what spec ES I have later this evening, and revert back.
Old 2017-04-05 , 15:22

Quote:
I assumed after MC Fields stated that mixing of different exploras will not work...
It can work, just not with the older ES options.

Quote:
...I have bought two Explora 2A decoders. I want to try them both out together on the ES switch. In this scenario, as per Jan's breakdown of indexes, the "old explora" settings will be for one of the explora 2A decoders, and the second setting will be for the other explroa 2A decoder, correct?
Not the info in his first post, the info in his later attachment. Only use the initial info if upgrading from the ES to modern options.
BTW, what type of LNB do you have?

I'll leave the other factors to the rest of you, all the best with it :-)
Old 2017-04-07 , 09:50

Hi all.

Sorry for the delay.

I have checked my ES, and it is version 5-2.

I will only be able to test out the suggestions tomorrow afternoon. I will revert back once I have done the tests.

Cheers
Old 2017-04-11 , 10:04

Hi All

Just a quick update (Sorry for the delay)

- Confirmed my ES is 5-2

- Connected Explora1 to Unicable B port
- Changed Index/Frequency to the second settings as per pic attached by Jan previously
- Scanned and confirmed Explora1 was functioning properly

- Connected Explora2A to Unicable A port
- Switched it on. It did the software upgrade as normal
- Did not change any Index/Frequency settings (left them as default)
- Channel 100 displayed as normal after upgrade and scan.

QUESTIONS:
1. Because my Explora2A is not yet commissioned on MC side as yet, I just want to know if Channel 100 displaying correctly means that everything else should function as normal?

2. I have connected a cable from the RF OUT ports on both the Explora decoders to a SLX switch. Will the HB signal be sorted out fine by doing this, as I have both decoders outputting an RF feed to the various points in the house?

I did initially set the Explora1 to RF IN, but the signal via the RF cable was very hazy. When I set it back to the RF OUT port, the picture cleared up.

Cheers
Old 2017-04-11 , 10:18

Hi,

1. You need to check both polarities. Even though other channels are E16 at this stage, you can still do so - you'll still see their signal strength and signal quality in the menus, and if there's a problem you would get another error, probably E48, or something else odd like no error at all.
Suggest you see the tuner 1 signal values when tuned to ch. 262 and then ch. 405.

Also check tuner 3 (it won't matter what channel you're tuned into for that).
But not sure if / when that tuner works if the decoder isn't activated yet.

2. No problem there.
Changing the menu port settings is supposed to make no difference these days, perhaps you changed one or more of the actual connections to the ports at the same time.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-04-11 at 10:21. .