Forum > Discussions > Discussions > So what is HDTV anyway?
Old 2017-03-29 , 12:09
Technical Myriad

Default So what is HDTV anyway?

I am not sure how many of the members of the forum are aware of the row that has broken out about Telefunken Full HD TVs being sold by outlets such as Game? To summarise, Game has been forced to withdraw from its shelves, some Telefunken Full HD models because they are not equipped with 1920 x 1080 panels. and there is more to come.

This whole event has once again highlighted just how poor the understanding is out there of what HD and Full HD is.

So maybe it is time that we again put this up for discussion, starting with what MC broadcasts as HD, how the decoders handle the broadcast, and what happens when the signal is delivered to a so-called HD TV.

Anyone game for this as a discussion?

A: What does MC currently Broadcast?

As far as I know, all HD channels are now broadcast in 1080i?

Is this correct? Are there still some channels broadcast in 720p?

B: What resolution options are provided for on the Explora decoders?
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-03-30 at 09:11. .
Old 2017-03-29 , 12:14
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

That's a very important discussion as long as it doesn't end up bit a techno bubbles of stats and over complicated stats.

Also please also do one about surround sound, and what hardware you need and how to configure.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 2017-03-29 , 13:14
MultiChoice

I see you posted this in the Discussion section of the forum, which is generally the place we leave you to have your own discussions. Would you like us to respond to questions A and B?
Old 2017-03-29 , 13:26
Changes remote batteries hourly

@Rock4us2, neither Geoff nor I are into surround sound, but it's mostly straight forward. If you do a google search you'll find lots about it.
Use this as your search string: site:forum.dstv.com 5.1

------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
A: What does MC currently Broadcast?

As far as I know, all HD channels are now broadcast in 1080i?

Is this correct? Are there still some channels broadcast in 720p?

B: What resolution options are provided for on the Explora decoders?
A. Last I remember hearing - most HD is in 1080i now (except for a few sport channels , maybe others? , if that's still the case).

B.
1080i 50(Hz)
1080i 60
720p 50
720p 60
576p 50

I'm getting busy again so may not have much chance to get more involved.
It's really troubling how things like this can happen with retail, and becoming too regular :-/
Old 2017-03-29 , 13:29
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
I see you posted this in the Discussion section of the forum, which is generally the place we leave you to have your own discussions. Would you like us to respond to questions A and B?
Only saw your post now, please can you add detail for question A and anything else. I'm certain Geoff would also appreciate it.
Old 2017-03-29 , 13:52
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
I placed this here because it is not about a specific issue or a fault or any reported incompatibility issue between MC decoders and TVs.

Yes please, It would be most welcome if MC could comment on what the position is regarding HD broadcasts and what the Explora is capable of delivering to a TV.

Hopefully the debate gets to the point where anyone in the market for a HD TV knows what to look for and how to evaluate TVs on offer in the marketplace.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-03-29 , 15:23
MultiChoice

Just wanted to check @Geoff so I don't step on any toes. We recently engaged My Broadband on this, so I have an up-to-date view from our head of Video Entertainment Technology, Gerdus van Eeden.

How our content is currently broadcast

Our HD broadcasts is currently in 1080i.

Our view on 1080p

1080p takes roughly twice the bandwidth of 1080i * - this is not something we're considering switching to at present. In the average household, the size of the screen and the positioning of the viewer from that screen means that changing to 1080p won't make a significant difference in quality of viewing.

Our view on UHD/4K

Any new technology in the consumer market goes through an adoption cycle or dies. 3D started with much hype, pushed by the TV manufacturers in a big way, but it fizzled out and is now all but dead.

Our expectation is not that UHD/4K will go the same way, but until standards are clear and consumers can buy TVs with confidence knowing that for example all forms of HDR are supported, the technology is still emerging and it would be too early to introduce a service.

We will keep an eye on international developments as standards for UHD/4K broadcasting begin to emerge, and based on these developments, we will decide whether it makes sense to offer this to our customers.

Our current focus

For now, our focus is on expanding our HD offering, which we believe offers good quality viewing to our customers. Many South Africans, and DStv customers, still don't have HD viewing in their homes. This is why we now offer HD on all our packages.
Old 2017-03-29 , 16:26
Changes remote batteries daily

11 reasons why your next TV has to be an Ultra HD 4K TV

1. A 4K TV today will futureproof your viewing tomorrow
2. 4K makes today's Full HD TV look better
3. 4K does justice to your digital photography
4. 4K Blu-ray is coming - and it's going to be magnificent
5. 4K TVs aren't just about more resolution (faster frame rates as well)
6. 4K internet browsing is frickin' mind-blowing
7. 4K home movies are coming too!
8. 4K gaming is an inevitability
9. 4K TV sports coverage is better than actually being there
10. 4K panel prices are tumbling (more players join in + volume production)
11. 4K TV really isn't a 3D-like fad

silent witness
Old 2017-03-29 , 17:01
4K, baby!

Am I the only one who isn't going ga ga over HD and Ultra 4K HD televisions? Certainly an HD tv picture is better than the normal SD one but we lived with SD for years and were quite happy with it. HD came along and made the viewing that little bit better and now they come along with Ultra 4K which is exactly how much better than what we already have? HD wise that is.

Perhaps those who want super duper tv pictures should rather put their tv's off and go outside and just look at the world around them. Cannot get better picture than that

Old 2017-03-29 , 17:33
Knows how to use a remote

To be fair HD is a big improvement in the interlaced signals we had before. It's not always apparent but in fast moving action sequences (in sport especially!) it is.
What does concern me is the messing with the true HD format which I believe we don't actually experience..