Forum > Decoders > Installation > 3 Way XtraView
Old 2017-03-25 , 20:54
Still gets up to change channels

Default 3 Way XtraView

I own a Explora1, planning on Purchasing two more Explora2's.

Currently I have the Explora and a 4 Tuner PVR(setup to use SatCR LNB)connected to the 1st edition SMARTLNB(4unicable and 2legacy ports with 80CM Dish)linked RF out to RF out via F type T-piece and 4 way SLX to allow for maximum functionality when using the remotes on the 4 TV links.

So what I need help with:

Do I get the 1 in 4 out SLX replaced with a 2 in 4 out SLX splitter?

My understanding is that all 3 decoders would be set to RF OUT for heartbeat.

Let me label the decoders

1.Explora (TV ROOM)
2.Explora 2 (MAIN BEDROOM)
3.Explora 2 (GEUST BEDROOM)

TV ROOM will be the primary.
Do I Run RF OUT from the TV ROOM to input port 1 on the SLX?

For The BEDROOMS, do I join Both RF OUT ports via a normal F-Type T Piece with the other end wired to input port 2 on the SLX or is there another component to join the bedroom decoders to the SLX instead of the F-Type T Piece?

Each decoder will be connected to a TV via HDMI however I have 4 extra TV's in the maids room and bar etc. that I want to run on co-ax via SLX using 4 TV links.

Decoder settings:

I am aware of changing UHF frequency's on all decoders to avoid conflict(do I set them to low or high numbers and also how far apart?)

Auxiliary power for TV Links(do I only enable this on the primary decoder or must I set all decoders to supply the SLX and TV links with aux power?)

Allocating remote numbers, I am capable of setting.

Can you help me with user band settings if using 3 Explora's?
Old 2017-03-26 , 08:36
Changes remote batteries hourly

I'm just going to get you going, but will leave the main setup itself to those more familiar with some of the finer details involved.

Which of those 4 additional rooms need RF access and decoder control of which Explora is unimportant as the setup will normally carry all 3 of the Exploras' RF feeds and TV Link capability to all additional rooms.
If privacy of some sort is needed, such as not wanting the maid's room to view the main BR (bedroom)'s channel choices, then it's usually just a matter of not tuning in that Explora on that TV.

What hasn't been made clear is if any or all of the 3 main rooms also needs RF feed access to the other main rooms' Explora(s), and perhaps RCU (remote control unit) decoder control of the distant Explora(s) as well.

Follow-up help from someone other than me may not be available for a day or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipster View Post
My understanding is that all 3 decoders would be set to RF OUT for heartbeat.
We are told that the setting itself has no effect anymore. HB (heartbeat) is always available on either RF port these days.
I won't go into which actual ports to use, that's part of what other Forumites (probably mostly @Geoff D) will cover.

Quote:
I am aware of changing UHF frequency's on all decoders to avoid conflict(do I set them to low or high numbers and also how far apart?)
Low RF channel numbers will carry better, at least 2 (I prefer 3) numbers apart. Some RF channels will be less than pure due to some interference, and which 3 you choose can sometimes cause an effect on each other, so it takes a bit of experimentation.
Try to use RG6 cable throughout as this will help to keep the RF and TV Link signals strong.

For the same reason it's also best to use an amplified SLX splitter with such an elaborate setup. (I will leave the choice of SLX splitter to others as well.)

Quote:
Can you help me with user band settings if using 3 Explora's?
There are many choices (but some restrictions), this is the simplest option;
(Which 2A is which makes no difference.)

Explora 1 -
Tuner 1: Index 0 , Frequency 1210
Tuner 2: Index 1 , Frequency 1420
Tuner 3: Index 2 , Frequency 1680

First Explora 2A -
Tuner 1: Index 3 , Frequency 2040
Tuner 2: Index 4 , Frequency 1006
Tuner 3: Index 5 , Frequency 1057

Second Explora 2A -
Tuner 1: Index 6 , Frequency 1108
Tuner 2: Index 7 , Frequency 1159
Tuner 3: Index 8 , Frequency 1261

Others have recommended setting all of the indexes first before setting the frequencies.

All the best with it :-)

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-03-26 at 11:47. . Reason: Index 8 info completed
Old 2017-03-26 , 09:11

Please answer this important question before further help is posted, even if a full decision hasn't been made yet some indication will help with understanding the bigger picture of your needs;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
What hasn't been made clear is if any or all of the 3 main rooms also needs RF feed access to the other main rooms' Explora(s), and perhaps RCU (remote control unit) decoder control of the distant Explora(s) as well.
EDIT: For others reading this thread;
Usually, people want the option to also view another decoder's recordings in one of the other main rooms.
Many would then prefer a better connection for that, but some do opt for just a RF feed for this need.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-03-26 at 10:53. .
Old 2017-03-27 , 18:57

I think having the RF options available in the main rooms where the 3 decoders will be situated will be a cool feature(probably not necessary but seeing I'm going to rewire everything I might as well go all out.

will I need tv links in the 3 main rooms or can I set the decoders to relay RCU commands via the heartbeat?

Privacy is not really an issue.

Last edited by Flipster; 2017-03-27 at 19:04. .
Old 2017-03-27 , 22:03

Ok, here then is the rest of what I can add.

Quote:
will I need tv links in the 3 main rooms or can I set the decoders to relay RCU commands via the heartbeat?
I'm sure that will be done via the HB cables. Can't say more myself, relay etc. commands is not my strong point.

The additional need now will be to take the final RF (after the HB, RCU signals and RF inputs mix is all sorted out at the Primary Explora) back to the other two main rooms' TV's as well.
So double RF related cables from the Primary to the other two main rooms - one dealing with the HB / RCU / RF connected to those secondary Exploras' RF Out ports, the other delivering final mixed RF directly to the "secondary" TVs' RF inputs.

More than that is a matter of the TV Link settings for each decoder (not something I'm familiar with enough either), and finding the correct SLX etc. type equipment to handle
7 TV's ... unlikely to be truly standard, and not info I'm up to date with.

What I can add re the input side - additional input ports on a device like a SLX splitter is better than external joins with a T-piece.

Many years ago these detailed installs used to be my favourite, enjoy! :-)
Old 2017-03-28 , 10:09
Technical Myriad

The Decoders are able relay commands received by the front panel IR detector to other decoders. So no tvLINKs are required in rooms where the decoders are located.

None of the decoders are able relay commands received via a tvLINK.

tvLINKs are only required in rooms where you have a RF connection but no decoder.

The next point is, ALL rooms fed with RF MUST be connected to a common RF distribution setup for tvLINKs to be able to control any decoder from anywhere.

Thus you have to combine all the RF OUTPUTs from all 3 decoders, before distributing the RF to all rooms where you may want to use the RF.

Try and get hold of a 3-input SLX splitter with multiple RF OUT ports to do this.

The last issue is about the possible need for DC blocks. A 3 SLX splitter is supposed to be able to pick up power from all three decoders without any problems. All you then need to do is decide if you want all 3 decoders to provided power to the SLX splitter or not. If not simply disable DC power on the decoders, ensuring that at least one is active for power to the SLX splitter. The alternative is to provide the SLX splitter with it own power source.

NO 3-input SLX available? Then you need to combine two RF OUT signals via a t-piece or a combiner before connecting it to the input of say a 2-input SLX splitter. THEN you MUST make sure that only one of the decoders connected this way provides DC power to prevent possible damage to a decoder by installing a DC block on one of the legs.

There are more subtle variations but I think we should cover them depending on what SLX splitters you have available.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-03-28 at 10:19. .
Old 2017-03-28 , 10:45

Just to expand on the DC Block needs;
The 3 final RF feeds going to all 3 main room TV's RF inputs all need to use a DC Block for protection. The other 4 TV's need the DC to power their TV Links.

Let us know if you need specific Relay commands setup info, but presume you have enough of an understanding of that.

@Geoff, I'm presuming that if he can't find a SLX with 7 or more outputs that it's then best to use an additional splitter to create extra outputs?
Old 2017-03-28 , 10:49
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Just to expand on the DC Block needs;
The 3 final RF feeds going to all 3 main room TV's RF inputs all need to use a DC Block for protection. The other 4 TV's need the DC to power their TV Links.

Let us know if you need specific Relay commands setup info, but presume you have enough of an understanding of that.

@Geoff, I'm presuming that if he can't find a SLX with 7 or more outputs that it's then best to use an additional splitter to create extra outputs?
Yes, after the SLX splitter. And yes all TVs NOT equipped with tvLINKs and connected to the SLX RF distribution require DC blocks.
Old 2017-03-31 , 13:09

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Yes, after the SLX splitter. And yes all TVs NOT equipped with tvLINKs and connected to the SLX RF distribution require DC blocks.
Hi guys,

Thanks for the info provided thus far.

I will try and source a SLX this weekend and revert back.

For the combiner should I look for 1 with DC POWER PASS on 2 legs?(I'm not to familiar with these)

Cant I wire two SLX splitters in parallel? depending on the SLX lets presume I get a 2 in 4 out. so from the Main Explora RF out to a T Piece, the two wires from the T to input port 1 on both SLX's. The 2 bedroom decoders linked via T Piece or combiner into a T Piece, 2 wires from the T piece connected to the input port 2 on both SLX's?

Don't know if this will overload the decoders power supply, maybe for this two individual PSU's to power the SLX's and links with TV link power turned off on the decoders?

Last edited by Flipster; 2017-03-31 at 13:15. .
Old 2017-03-31 , 14:02
Technical Myriad

(1) You do not have to power the SLX splitters from the decoder, especially if you intend to power up 7 or 8 tvLINKs plus power 2 SLX splitters. It may be better to get separate power supplies for the SLXs in this case.

(2) It is always about cascading too many splitters, because each time you do that you cut the RF power by half, which may lead to rather poor RF signals reaching the distant end TVs.

(3) Similarly in the reverse direction, The more splits there are, the worse the control signals coming from the distant end tvLINKs is going to be.

Have a look at this site for what is available from Space TV
http://www.spacetv.co.za/pages/produ...-splitters.php

One possible solution would be to get the SLX3X2 splitter and then feed 2 1 x 4 SLX splitters to give you the 7 ports you are looking for.

the other at would be use the A28D/LTE unit to feed all the rooms you need to feed, fed from the 2 inputs, one directly from the Explora and the other fed from the two decoders via a T-piece. This last option is a cleaner better option as it has a built in power supply, meaning no power drain from the decoders and is labelled as compatible with XV. this unit is claimed to be able to feed 16 rooms with tvLINKs.

a280d-web.jpg

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-03-31 at 14:22. .