Forum > Decoders > Installation > DSTV WiFi connection problems with different IP address
Old 2017-03-23 , 12:51
Still gets up to change channels

Default DSTV WiFi connection problems with different IP address

Hello all,

Been using the Wifi connector for ages without issue. All that has now changed. Would appreciate some assistance.

We switched to a WISP - as in Wireless ISP. The change required that I no longer use DHCP on the router side, but connect all of our devices via a static IP address. I've managed to do this with everything in the house, and all works as I should.

The underlying problem though, appears to be that I needed to change our IP address from 192.168.1.0 to 192.168.0.1...

Connected the device to my Macbook, using the cable and as per the instructions. When I'm in the Device interface, it's not letting me save the new IP address. It just hangs.

Doing the check on the decoder, it is 'seen' and listed as connected, but just clearly it's not connecting to the internet.

Is this something I need to spend time with through the call-centre, or can some kind soul help me here?
Old 2017-03-23 , 13:06

Sigh. Ok - now I cannot even connect it to my laptop. Cannot "see" the Wifi Connector with Ethernet plugged into my laptop.

Joy.
Old 2017-03-23 , 13:09
MultiChoice

Have you tried to de-register it all, then link it up again under the new IP address?
Old 2017-03-23 , 13:10

Nope - didn't know that was an option, Marietjie. How would I deregister it?
Old 2017-03-23 , 13:16

What IP address can I use to connect to the Wifi connector? Leaving it on "use DHCP" is not working.
Old 2017-03-23 , 13:26
Technical Myriad

You are jumping the gun here. How do you normally run your router? Are all the devices you connect to the router on static IP addresses?

Have you tried to connect the decoder directly to a laptop? This will eliminate any issues you may have on the router?

One should take small logical steps when diagnosing problems, not try everything at once.

De-registering the decoder off your ID connect and account profiles will sort out any possible issues at MCs end but will not influence anything going on physically about the connectivity to the decoder.

I would first make sure the router is connecting properly to all other devices you have on your local LAN and then address the decoder issues, by following the manual configuration process.

For us to help we need to know how you normally configure any new device you want to connect to your Internet router. (Is it set for DHCP or not, etc?)
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-03-23 at 19:38. .
Old 2017-03-23 , 13:29

Will do, thanks for the help.

Last edited by MC Marietjie; 2017-03-23 at 13:42. .
Old 2017-03-23 , 13:43
MultiChoice

Thanks got your email - have sent to the team to get in touch.
Old 2017-03-23 , 14:06

Default DSTV WiFi connection problems with different IP address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
You are jumping the gun here. How do you normally run your router? Are all the devices you connect to the router on static IP addresses?

Have you tried to connect the decoder directly to a laptop? This will eliminate any issues you may have on the router?

One should take small logical steps when diagnosing problems, not try everything at once.

De-registering the decoder off you ID connect and account profiles will sort out any possible issues at MCs end but will not influence anything going on physically about the connectivity to the decoder.

I would first make sure the router is connecting properly to all other devices you have on your local LAN and then address the decoder issues, by following the manual configuration process.

For us to help we need to know how you normally configure any new device you want to connect to your Internet router. (Is it set for DHCP or not, etc?)

Geoff - thanks for trying to help.

Just replied in detail - but after submitting: nothing!

Will give it another go...

1.) All is working as it should, so the issue is not on the router side.

By way of background: We were running ADSL, with the standard IP address of 192.168.1.1. Our devices connected wirelessly to the router, that had DHCP enabled.

2.) We then switched to an WISP.

So we have a Ubiquiti aerial managing things, coming into the house via an ethernet cable into the WAN port. As a result, we were asked by the WISP to switch DHCP off on the router, switch the Router's IP address to 192.168.0.1, and use static IP addresses on all of our devices.

3.) So to set up a new device, I allocate a unique IP address to each device: 192.168.1.xx; 255.255.255.0 and Router address of 192.168.0.1, with 8.8.8.8 for DNS.

When the switch was made, the Wifi Connector obviously lost connection to the Internet - and I need to allocate a new, unique IP address to it as well.

This is where I am stuck.

4.) When I plug the Connector into my laptop using the ethernet cable and USB power cable, after switching off Wifi on my laptop, no matter what ethernet settings I play around with, I cannot access the Wifi Connector's interface through Safari at http://dstvwifi.local/. It simply will not "see" the device. So I cannot add a new static IP address to it.

Hope this explains things??

Appreciate the assistance!

Last edited by Cassady; 2017-03-23 at 14:25. .
Old 2017-03-23 , 14:58
Changes remote batteries daily

Maybe the Macbook doesn't like the connector ?
40Mb VDSL (ISP AH Capped Unshaped)
------------------------------------------
DSD1110 in holiday mode
DSTV Mobile via Drifta WiFi (S5& iPad)