Forum > Broadcast Errors > Broadcast Errors > 101: Catch - many issues
Old 2017-03-21 , 09:38
Changes remote batteries daily. Has an entire thread named after her.

Default 101: Catch - many issues

So last night I had back to back recordings set. Given that MNet had start times all over the place, e.g. 19:37 instead of 19:30, I had to set a manual recording to shave off a couple of minutes to fit everything in, but I was happy until...

My recording of The Catch was cancelled by the Explora due to conflict!!!

Two points to note before I detail my issues: firstly, ironically, I had series recording for The Catch set as highest priority because there are no repeats, but due to the manual recording, The Catch was cancelled; secondly I checked my recordings just on 8pm and all was fine.

My issues:

1. There are no repeats So if this was not a CU series, thankfully it has loaded, I would have nothing. And telling me it is on CU+ is not an acceptable answer.

2. Why was the EPG changed so late? My recordings all reflected as good to go at 8pm, yet not 40 minutes later, the EPG had been updated resulting in my recordings conflicting and the cancellation.

3. On the new, improved MNet, are we going to have reliable start / end times? Planning our lives (recordings) with times all over the place, especially when the recordings are across multiple channels makes things impossible

Catch 2.jpg

Catch 1.jpg
Old 2017-03-21 , 10:41
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Remember channel 901 has the same schedule as 101 just 1 hour later a nice slot to fall back on to resolve conflicting recordings. I have moved my recording Pure Genius to 901 because it constantly clash with one of my other scheduled recordings.
Old 2017-03-21 , 11:51
Changes remote batteries hourly

Yep, often helpful, but the fact that we have ch. 901 to assist should not excuse schedule disruptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cat View Post
...ironically, I had series recording for The Catch set as highest priority because there are no repeats, but due to the manual recording, The Catch was cancelled
I think Mad Cat knows this, but for others - the priority rules on the Explora explain this part;

1. Top priority - MR's
2. Then - EBR's (EPG / i-Plate once-off recordings)
3. Then - SBR's

@MC;

Re 1. Not directly related to this thread's issue as this MR is a once-off, but with MR's being top priority, wouldn't it then be better for the Explora to list them at the top of the Season Manager list when they are recurring types? Fewer users are then going to get confused about how it all works.

Re 2. Also not related to this thread's issue, but it must be noted that the software doesn't handle EBR's well enough yet.
Once set (and therefore placed in the Recording Schedules), if then afterwards manually selecting an alternative Other Airings slot in its Recording Schedules' listing sub-menu, then the EBR ends up listed for both the original and the new slots, so one has to still manually delete the first EBR setting.

Back to the issue at hand;

Things had vastly improved when MC made the rule that scheduling couldn't be altered late. This was changed back, believed due to the heavy scheduling during the annual peak period, but that is now over and with the series concerned now all going to be on M-Net the scheduling's sensitivity to changes increases so needs to be made even more stable.

Regarding the also popular reality shows, which has seemed to be the main disruption cause with their overrunning at times - this is an expansion on the original idea to deal with it that was discussed years ago;

Suggested default scheduling:
reality show(s) || music filler || prime time series

Pro: The music filler works as a buffer, its length easily adjustable enough. That way schedules can be stuck to.
Con: It takes up valuable space around the start of the prime time period. Perhaps the reality shows could then start a bit earlier?

That's the last of what I wanted to contribute to the bigger picture.
Old 2017-03-22 , 07:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Horn View Post
Remember channel 901 has the same schedule as 101 just 1 hour later a nice slot to fall back on to resolve conflicting recordings. I have moved my recording Pure Genius to 901 because it constantly clash with one of my other scheduled recordings.
Thanks, I am aware. My 3rd recording was set for 901 and just a note of that one too:

Before deleting that recording from 901, I decided to have a look at what was recorded. I found it curious that 101's EPG had updated resulting in the conflict and cancellation, but 901 seem uneffected. The end of the series in my 901 was cut off

So, to summerise, 1 cancelled recording with no chance to record again and 1 recording cut short. What would be my recourse if these series were not on CU
Old 2017-03-22 , 07:31

Thanks Optimist for adding clarity, especially with regards to the MRs.
Old 2017-03-22 , 17:39

Hello

Our apologies, it was a very late update in start times from M-Net (essentially just a few hours before air). We will discuss the issue with them.
Old 2017-03-23 , 14:13

Here is the response from M-Net:
"Please note there are currently no repeats for The Catch, however from 5 April the series will have a repeat for every Thursday after midnight."

We have discussed the importance of avoiding last minute changes with them again.
Old 2017-03-23 , 14:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Trisan View Post
Here is the response from M-Net:
"Please note there are currently no repeats for The Catch, however from 5 April the series will have a repeat for every Thursday after midnight."

We have discussed the importance of avoiding last minute changes with them again.
Thank you for the replys.

Great news about the repeat and appreciate the reminder about late EPG updates.
Old 2017-04-10 , 09:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cat View Post
2. Why was the EPG changed so late? My recordings all reflected as good to go at 8pm, yet not 40 minutes later, the EPG had been updated resulting in my recordings conflicting and the cancellation.

3. On the new, improved MNet, are we going to have reliable start / end times? Planning our lives (recordings) with times all over the place, especially when the recordings are across multiple channels makes things impossible
Another example, to further help MC / M-Net see the extent of the problem and maybe help us all to somehow adjust to this changed scenario;

Last night's John Oliver show - the EPG had had it listed as being from 22:05 to 22:30 all along. I knew such a short slot was not possible so kept an eye on it.

Shortly before or during the recording the EPG updated to an end time of 22:43.
During the recording this was never reflected when examining the extended i-Plate of the scheduled recording itself. However the recording did seem to know about the change as it only ended @ 22:53 (10 min. end safety net included).

No problem for me as I had no recordings scheduled for hours afterwards, but if I did have it obviously would have caused a conflict which could have had serious results.
This behaviour is making it impossible for anyone to rely on the automation the Explora has been designed to offer.

As an aside, how is it possible that the EPG info could have been so wrong in the first place??
Conclusion - QA is still very poor, and I believe in this case on the channel's side. If we don't continue to pressurise for change then these unprofessional issues will cascade into terrible harm to the service.
Old 2017-04-10 , 17:42

BTW... next Sunday's John Oliver show has been given a slot from 22:05 to 22:35. The Sunday after (online guide) has it scheduled from 22:15 to 22:45.

In all the years I've watched it it has never been that short. Perhaps the main problem is related to unknown lengths, in which case please over-compensate instead and use music fillers when needed (isn't that how it used to be done? )

Please could this be shared with the channel, thanks for everyone's efforts to improve this.