Forum > Decoders > Installation > Xplora & Dual view SDPVR xtraview using DSTV smart LNB
Old 2015-07-01 , 02:04
Still gets up to change channels

Default Xplora & Dual view SDPVR xtraview using DSTV smart LNB

Hi,

I just need to find out if its possible to install an Xplora as the (primary) connected to a Dual-view Sdpvr (secondary) in an xtraview setup using the new DSTV smart LNB. If this is indeed possible, does the DSTV smart lnb eliminate the need for the DSTV multi-switch that gets supplied with the Xplora?

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Phillip
Old 2015-07-01 , 05:59
Knows how to use a remote

Phillip, the short answer is: Yes I'm sure it is possible and you can eliminate the DSTV switch with the Smart LNB installation.

However, I'm not certain whether you're looking at a new Explora installation or just changing an existing Explora installation with a DSTV switch to a Smart LNB.

If you're buying a new Explora, you must keep in mind that MC does not supply either a DSTV switch with the Explora anymore and that you will have to get a DSTV switch or Smart LNB separately for the installation to work.

Either way, I am sure the following connections to the Smart LNB and the decoders will work:
1. A single cable from one of the SATCR/Unicable ports of the Smart LNB connected directly to the Unicable In port of the Explora.
2. Two cables from the two legacy ports on the Smart LNB connected directly to the LNB In ports of the SDPVR.
3. A heartbeat cable between RFin or RFout ports of the two decoders for Xrtraview.

The DSTV switch is not required for this installation.

With the suggested Smart LNB installation you will have three cables running from the LNB to the decoders, while with a normal twin legacy LNB and DSTV and switch combination there are only two cables from the LNB. But, as I understand, the latter will not future proof your installation.

Last edited by AndriesP; 2015-07-01 at 06:07. .
Old 2015-07-01 , 08:38
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipster View Post
Hi,

I just need to find out if its possible to install an Xplora as the (primary) connected to a Dual-view Sdpvr (secondary) in an xtraview setup using the new DSTV smart LNB. If this is indeed possible, does the DSTV smart lnb eliminate the need for the DSTV multi-switch that gets supplied with the Xplora?

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Phillip

Hi Phillip.

As indicated by AndriesP, the installation will work until the SD PVR is no longer supported by MC.

See this post for details on how to set the Explora, and this thread for full details on the SLNB.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2015-07-01 , 15:53
Knows how to use a remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Thank you for the reference to the derived technical details about setting up the system with the Smart LNB Geoff D, details which MC seems loath to disclose outside the realms of the few accredited ones. Your efforts are much appreciated.

As for my own installation (80cm dish with a twin LNB feeding into a DSTV switch and an Explora as primary decoder and a SD PVR as Xtraview decoder), I feel that the most prudent approach is to leave things unchanged and only add the Smart LNB when compelled by technological imperatives. At this stage, there seems to be very little to gain.