Forum > Decoders > Installation > Two Subscriptions on 1 Dish
Old 2015-03-16 , 14:41
Still listens to the wireless

Default Two Subscriptions on 1 Dish

Hello all

I would like to know if the following setup would work (it's a bit complicated, sorry about that):

2 Satellite Dishes with Dual LNB on each
2 HD PVR Decoders
1 SD Decoder

Currently I have my grandfather at the back who has his own Dish with a HD PVR Decoder, then in the main house I have the other HD PVR Decoder and SD Decoder connected to the other Dish in the extra view setup (Primary, secondary, with Heartbeat cable). What I would like to do is run a heartbeat cable to the back to connect the two HD PVRs together (to share the costs of Premium) and then have the SD Decoder on its own DSTV package. But I would like to leave the setup as it is now. I just want to add the HB cable. Is it possible?

What this boils down to is if it's possible to connect a HD PVR and SD decoder to one Dish with a Dual LNB receiver but they both run separate DSTV packages and are not connected to each other (no HB cable).

Thanks for you time, I realise it's quite a lengthy question.
Old 2015-03-16 , 14:50
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyd7 View Post
Hello all

I would like to know if the following setup would work (it's a bit complicated, sorry about that):

2 HD PVR Decoders
1 SD Decoder

Currently I have my grandfather at the back who has his own Dish with a HD PVR Decoder, then in the main house I have the other HD PVR Decoder and SD Decoder connected to the other Dish in the extra view setup (Primary, secondary, with Heartbeat cable). What I would like to do is run a heartbeat cable to the back to connect the two HD PVRs together (to share the costs of Premium) and then have the SD Decoder on its own DSTV package. But I would like to leave the setup as it is now. I just want to add the HB cable. Is it possible?

What this boils down to is if it's possible to connect a HD PVR and SD decoder to one Dish with a Dual LNB receiver but they both run separate DSTV packages and are not connected to each other (no HB cable).

Yes you can, you would need a Multiswitch

The LNB and heart beat is unrelated and subscription independent.

You could also use public services off the same dish
Old 2015-03-16 , 15:16
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Hello all

2 HD PVR Decoders
1 SD Decoder

I am guessing the distance to cottage is quite far? If so leave well alone and DO NOT change the LNB cabling at all, keep the dual LNB and the separate antennas as is.

I presume these are HD PVR 2P decoders?

Also there must be a 2 x 4 MS in place in the home. and the cottage HD PVR is connected direct to the two LNB ports.

All you have to do is run a the HB cable between the two HD PVRs.

Leave all the LNB cabling as is, nothing changes.

Are you distributing RF to other place in the home? Is the HD PVR and the SD PVR in the same room?

Why do you want to couple the two HD PVRs under XV? Are all the decoders registered in your name? If not, there will be plenty of issues of transferring the second HD PVR to your name first before you do anything. Are you intending to use the SD PVR also for a Premium package? If so leave well alone and just take over payment for the second HD PVR payment.

IF you intend taking a different subscription out on the SD PVR, THEN what you are proposing will make sense.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2015-03-16 , 16:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
Yes you can, you would need a Multiswitch

The LNB and heart beat is unrelated and subscription independent.

You could also use public services off the same dish
Thank you very much for your quick reply. I really appreciate it.
Old 2015-03-16 , 16:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I am guessing the distance to cottage is quite far? If so leave well alone and DO NOT change the LNB cabling at all, keep the dual LNB and the separate antennas as is.

I presume these are HD PVR 2P decoders?

Also there must be a 2 x 4 MS in place in the home. and the cottage HD PVR is connected direct to the two LNB ports.

All you have to do is run a the HB cable between the two HD PVRs.

Leave all the LNB cabling as is, nothing changes.

Are you distributing RF to other place in the home? Is the HD PVR and the SD PVR in the same room?

Why do you want to couple the two HD PVRs under XV? Are all the decoders registered in your name? If not, there will be plenty of issues of transferring the second HD PVR to your name first before you do anything. Are you intending to use the SD PVR also for a Premium package? If so leave well alone and just take over payment for the second HD PVR payment.

IF you intend taking a different subscription out on the SD PVR, THEN what you are proposing will make sense.
Thanks for your quick reply, I really do appreciate it.

The distance to the cottage is about 10 meters.
Yes it is HD PVR 2P decoders.
There is a 2 x 4 MS in place in the home.
Yes I'd like to distribute RF to another room.
The HD PVR and SD decoder is not in the same room. The HD PVR is in the lounge and the SD decoder is in one of the rooms.
I want to connect the to HD PVRs under XV so that we can share the cost of the Premium package with my grandfather who stays at the back.
Unfortunately the two HD PVRs are registered under different names. The one is under my grandfather's name and the other under mine. The SD decoder is also under my name.
The SD decoder will run one of the cheaper DSTV packages.
Old 2015-03-16 , 16:49
Technical Myriad

Okay then, so the first thing to do is transfer ownership of the second HD PVR into your name. Get all this out of the way before you start changing the coupling between the decoders. See The DSTV.com website for what is required to do this.

THEN, once this is out of the way, break the XV link between the HD PVR and the SD PVR. Once this has been done get the SD PVR activated under the new package you want so it alt least stays active. No cabling changes are required for any of the above steps.
You may find that you are still paying for 2 Premium subscriptions for one month.

Now to the cabling changes. Ads I have said. leave all the LNB cabling as is. Then run the new HB cable to the cottage HD PVR. Just connect the RF OUT port on the house HD PVR to the HD PVR in the cottage RF IN port. I presume you want these decoders to be independent of each other?

Make sure each uses a different Mode. ( but try and not disturb the settings on the home PVR, rather change the cottage mode to either to TV2 or TV3.

Then once this is working under one subscription and you are free of getting MC involved in anything, we can re-arrange the rest of the RF cabling at your leisure. Short term you may find somewhat restricted viewing of content on the SD PVR, but it is a small penalty to pay for getting the main issues sorted out. Just disconnect the cable currently running from the house HDPVR to the SD PVR, leave it in situ for later use.

How is the cabling currently running connecting the SD PVR and the HD PVR? can you give a sketch? What you need to do is disturb this as little as possible.
Old 2015-03-17 , 14:40

Quote:
Okay then, so the first thing to do is transfer ownership of the second HD PVR into your name. Get all this out of the way before you start changing the coupling between the decoders. See The DSTV.com website for what is required to do this.

THEN, once this is out of the way, break the XV link between the HD PVR and the SD PVR. Once this has been done get the SD PVR activated under the new package you want so it alt least stays active. No cabling changes are required for any of the above steps.
You may find that you are still paying for 2 Premium subscriptions for one month.

Now to the cabling changes. Ads I have said. leave all the LNB cabling as is. Then run the new HB cable to the cottage HD PVR. Just connect the RF OUT port on the house HD PVR to the HD PVR in the cottage RF IN port. I presume you want these decoders to be independent of each other?

Make sure each uses a different Mode. ( but try and not disturb the settings on the home PVR, rather change the cottage mode to either to TV2 or TV3.

Then once this is working under one subscription and you are free of getting MC involved in anything, we can re-arrange the rest of the RF cabling at your leisure. Short term you may find somewhat restricted viewing of content on the SD PVR, but it is a small penalty to pay for getting the main issues sorted out. Just disconnect the cable currently running from the house HDPVR to the SD PVR, leave it in situ for later use.

How is the cabling currently running connecting the SD PVR and the HD PVR? can you give a sketch? What you need to do is disturb this as little as possible.
Good afternoon to you.

How do I change the modes?

Also, the wiring of the HD PVR and the SD Decoder is the standard setup. Two cables coming from the Dish to a 2 x 4 MS, then one cable goes to the SD Decoder (The SD Decoder is not the PVR version, just the standard one) and two cables goes to the HD PVR + the HB cable between the two. Then there's the RF cable coming from the HD Decoder to one of the other rooms. That's all.

Why might I find that I'm paying for two Premium subscriptions for one month? I can't quite afford that risk. Is there a way to avoid it?
Old 2015-03-17 , 15:25
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Good afternoon to you.

How do I change the modes?

Also, the wiring of the HD PVR and the SD Decoder is the standard setup. Two cables coming from the Dish to a 2 x 4 MS, then one cable goes to the SD Decoder (The SD Decoder is not the PVR version, just the standard one) and two cables goes to the HD PVR + the HB cable between the two. Then there's the RF cable coming from the HD Decoder to one of the other rooms. That's all.

Why might I find that I'm paying for two Premium subscriptions for one month? I can't quite afford that risk. Is there a way to avoid it?
So which decoder do you have then? 1110, 1131, 1132, DSD3U?

Look for the advanced screen dealing with remote settings.

It is about timing and getting all the re-arrangements done all at once. If you are prepared to do without the one Premium service for a few days, then there will be no double charges.
Old 2015-03-19 , 13:15

Quote:
So which decoder do you have then? 1110, 1131, 1132, DSD3U?

Look for the advanced screen dealing with remote settings.

It is about timing and getting all the re-arrangements done all at once. If you are prepared to do without the one Premium service for a few days, then there will be no double charges.
It's the 1110.
I wonder if I do all these changes before the end of the month, then DSTV can deduct costs from the money we paid for the month.
Like we have Compact Extra running in the house, and then Premium at the back. So if we switch to a cheaper package in the house, then shouldn't the money we paid in the beginning of the month cover the switch over to the cheaper package?
And then when I connect the cottage to the house, I'd just need to pay the extra money for the Extra View feature to be turned on (it's off at the moment).
Old 2015-03-19 , 13:19
MultiChoice

@johnnyd7 - please note that you can only downgrade your packages at your next payment date, so technically you won't have credits left over at that point.