Forum > Discussions > Discussions > DStv vs Other Options (Why I came back to DStv)
Old 2016-07-31 , 14:45
Knows how to use a remote

Default DStv vs Other Options (Why I came back to DStv)

Hi All,

I have got to be honest for almost 6 months I tried other options instead of MultiChoice because it was "cheaper"

*Note I have a 40mb VDSL Line*

Netflix -Which worked well until they made changing regions a hassle.
Online Sport Streaming -One word this is rubbish, constant buffering and dealing with dodgy sites and ads.
Android Media Players -This are interesting little devices but, slow, more buffering and damn things freeze.
Downloading -Don't even go there. I don't do this and won't, even my music is legally streamed.

After 6 months of struggling I went ahead and switched on my Explora with Premium+Extra View+Showmax+BoxOffice

Is it expensive, it is but

a) I can watch DSTV in HD (Sports and Movies at least)
b) I have Catch Up and Live Streaming
c) Content is there and easily accessible =heck I can even pre download Catch Up content onto my Explora.
d) No calls from Wife on how the entertainment isn't working

If I take into account what I am getting as well as the quality DSTV is very much worth it. Even right now I have my two TV's playing and I'm in the bedroom streaming SS1.

I have made up my mind and decided DSTV this time I am keeping you on and making sure I make use of everything! That way it is great value for money.
Old 2016-08-01 , 07:32
MultiChoice

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Welcome back - hope you continue to enjoy your viewing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2016-08-01 , 08:49
Changes remote batteries daily

reminds me of the rivalry between legions of fans of the iPhone and Samsung (and the rest)

silent witness
Old 2016-08-01 , 10:58
Changes remote batteries daily

Have been with DSTV for ages and when Netflix became legal I gave it a try (HD version) and was happy with quality and that streaming did not buffer... but the content is just not there.

I dropped Netflix....there is more than enough content on DStv. I also have ShowMax which the kid uses to catch up on old series content. R99 pm is a steal. Fortunately my 10Mb/s line via Telkom and Mweb is capable.
90cm dish; LMX502 ; Explora as Primary in lounge, HD-PVR2 in flat; XV heartbeat via RF outs; Samsung 60LED7000 via HDMI and Sony 42" 576p panel via composite; Flat has 32" Hi-Sense. Denon AVRX1100 configured for 5.1; Sony BluRay; WD media player; All using HDMI/optical/coax.
Old 2016-08-01 , 11:27
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linoman View Post
Is it expensive, it is but...
Ja / Nee... if you look at its international value when converting the Rand it isn't, but like most things here these days it is somewhat in local terms now.
Old 2016-08-01 , 12:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Welcome back - hope you continue to enjoy your viewing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you, appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulani View Post
reminds me of the rivalry between legions of fans of the iPhone and Samsung (and the rest)
Never quite thought of it like that. But you do bring an interesting point across. At end of the day it is about what suits you and the family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvdh View Post
Have been with DSTV for ages and when Netflix became legal I gave it a try (HD version) and was happy with quality and that streaming did not buffer... but the content is just not there.

I dropped Netflix....there is more than enough content on DStv. I also have ShowMax which the kid uses to catch up on old series content. R99 pm is a steal. Fortunately my 10Mb/s line via Telkom and Mweb is capable.
Personally I much prefer ShowMax to Netflix SA. The content difference is night and day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Ja / Nee... if you look at its international value when converting the Rand it isn't, but like most things here these days it is somewhat in local terms now.
Agreed, if you take into account multiple viewing options. DSTV Now+Catch Up and Xtra View it isn't expensive. Just this weekend I was at the EGE and when you take into account something simple as a clock costs R500, then an additional R350 for all above is decent.

Mind you I wouldn't want to pay for premium and not have access to a PVR+all extra goodies. Then I probably wouldn't pay so much.
Old 2016-08-07 , 16:53

With the Olympics on my wife thinks I have lost the plot. Perfect example of value for money?

Explora Watching 1
Explora Recording 1
PVR2U Watching 1
PVR2U Recording 1
iPad Streaming DSTV Live
Laptop (two browsers) streaming DSTV Live
Android Tablet Streaming DSTV Live

Now tell me where else can one overload on Olympics so much and only pay one cost?
Old 2017-02-20 , 15:57

I thought I would post an update since originally posting above.

My wife and I recently moved to Gordons Bay and as a result, have my mom in law staying in the flat next to us.

She had an old SD PVR which decided to die after us having moved in. What did I decide to do?

Re-did the entire DSTV install, with 85cm Dish, Smart LNB and put down Explora's.

My point, for +- R980 a month I have

3 working Explora's (mix of model 1 and 2)
DSTV Now
Showmax
Catch Up +

My wife, mom in law and myself can enjoy full HD (on selected channels obviously). Does it break the bank, nor is it pricey? Well, it is but it sure as hell is cheaper than it would cost if it was Sky. I actually worked it out and my goodness but DSTV is cheaper.

In short I am sorry, that with getting Showmax for R69 a month (I kicked out Netflix)!

It is decent value for money!

Remember, a happy mom in law =happy wife and that = happy life

Last edited by Linoman; 2017-02-20 at 15:58. . Reason: Fixed Grammer