Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > Signal strength / quality on Explora
Old 2014-07-10 , 06:37
Still gets up to change channels

Default Signal strength / quality on Explora

I have a new Explora installation. Done by an agent along with a dish replacement ( bigger ) as well as a LNB replacement. So without the cabling, everything is new and done by an "expert".

My signal strengths are:

Sig 1: 75% odd and 100% quality
Sig 2: 84% odd and 100%
Sig 3: 78% odd and 100%.

I understand from other posts on this site that Sig 1 is for viewing, 2 is for CatchUp and 3 is for Box Office.

Every now and then I check on the signal strengths and I find that Sig 2 is 0 and 0%. I cannot see that I am missing anything on catch up so I don't know if is this is an error or not. When I check a few minutes later it goes back to the 84/100 or close enough.

On all 3 signals the strength tends to vary a bit but not a lot, the qualities seem to be 100% all the time.

Any thoughts? Is it normal? If there is a fault is it the decoder or the splitter or what? The splitter I am using is the one supplied with the Explora.
Old 2014-07-10 , 07:16
Changes remote batteries daily

Hi there,

Tuner one is for viewing, tuner 2 for recording and tuner 3 for catchup/boxoffice/EPG etc. So generally tuner 2 will only show signal quality while a recording is in progress.

No reason to worry - your percentages are pretty much in line with most people.
DSTV Explora (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI Picture and Audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. RF connection from Explora & HDPVR 2P to bedroom for Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2014-07-10 , 08:45
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunix View Post
I have a new Explora installation. Done by an agent along with a dish replacement ( bigger ) as well as a LNB replacement. So without the cabling, everything is new and done by an "expert".

My signal strengths are:

Sig 1: 75% odd and 100% quality
Sig 2: 84% odd and 100%
Sig 3: 78% odd and 100%.

I understand from other posts on this site that Sig 1 is for viewing, 2 is for CatchUp and 3 is for Box Office.

Every now and then I check on the signal strengths and I find that Sig 2 is 0 and 0%. I cannot see that I am missing anything on catch up so I don't know if is this is an error or not. When I check a few minutes later it goes back to the 84/100 or close enough.

On all 3 signals the strength tends to vary a bit but not a lot, the qualities seem to be 100% all the time.

Any thoughts? Is it normal? If there is a fault is it the decoder or the splitter or what? The splitter I am using is the one supplied with the Explora.
I see Krugie has replied, he is our resident Explora expert and he has 2 of them.

(1) All MCs multi-tuner decoders work the same way - even the SD PVR. Live TV requires permanent access to a tuner, and at least one other tuner is required for recording. When no customer recordings are in progress, the recording tuner will show no signal and quality values as it is " OFF" or at least on "STBY".

SD PVR: a 3-tuner device.
Tuner 1 = TV1 viewing
Tuner 2 = TV2 viewing
Tuner 3 = Everything else, user recordings, EPG downloads, decoder management data streams, BO, CU. (Conflict between user recordings and BO, CU downloads, user recordings take precedence)

HD PVR: a 2 Tuner device.

Tuner 1 = TV1 viewing
Tuner 2 = Everything else user recordings, EPG downloads, decoder management data streams, BO, CU. (Conflict between user recordings and BO, CU downloads, user recordings take precedence)

HD PVR: a 4 Tuner device

Tuner 1 = TV1 viewing
Tuner 2 = Rec 1
Tuner 3 = Rec 2
Tuner 4 = Everything else, user recordings, EPG downloads, decoder management data streams, BO, CU. (No Conflict between user recordings and BO, CU downloads)

Explora: 3 tuner

Tuner 1 = TV1 viewing
Tuner 2 = User recordings
Tuner 3 = Everything else, EPG downloads, decoder management data streams, BO, CU. (No Conflict between user recordings and BO, CU downloads)

With regard to signal strength and quality measurements:

The older decoders, SD PVR and older, display a pretty accurate "value" for Signal Strength and Quality, when compared to the readings one would get with a FSM. The rest of the decoders, not so good, as the values are only a rough indication.

There are reports that with sufficient care and time (installers do not have the patience and don't really care in general [and I don't care what certificates they have]), ALL the decoders will display excellent values from a properly installed antenna.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2014-07-10 at 08:48. .
Old 2014-07-10 , 16:29

@Geoff.

So what do you say then if the HDPVR (4tuner) shows 98% Strength and 100% Quality on all tuners. The Explora showing 100% Quality on all tuners and strengths on Tuner 1 -71%; Tuner 2 - 85%; Tuner 3 -74%.

Would you say this looks ok?
Old 2014-07-10 , 20:47
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
@Geoff.

So what do you say then if the HDPVR (4tuner) shows 98% Strength and 100% Quality on all tuners. The Explora showing 100% Quality on all tuners and strengths on Tuner 1 -71%; Tuner 2 - 85%; Tuner 3 -74%.

Would you say this looks ok?
Gwalker and at least one other person has reported much better figures than those after some effort by an installer.

The 100% quality is what you want, but the signal values are low in my book. (that is if the values reflect what actual values are.
The issue is what happens in rainy weather? Do you lose signal sooner than you should be?
I have limited exposure to the Explora so I cannot really say if the signal levels are good enough.

Last edited by Geoff D; 2014-07-10 at 21:57. .
Old 2014-07-10 , 21:54
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Gwalker and at least one other person has reported much better figures than those after some effort by an installer.

The 100% quality is what want, but the signal values are low in my book. (that is if the values reflect what actual values are.

The issue is what happens in rainy weather? Do you lose signal sooner than you should be?

I have limited exposure to the Explora so I cannot really say if the signal levels are good enough.

Explora value on signal strength is much lower representation than other decoders.
Old 2014-07-11 , 08:12

Correct - some Explora strengths are in the low 60's and quality is still at 100%.
DSTV Explora (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI Picture and Audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. RF connection from Explora & HDPVR 2P to bedroom for Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2014-07-14 , 18:37

We installed an Explora on the weekend, removing the perfectly working HDPVR2.

The Explora signal has been giving us endless hassles, the signal on tuner 1 is sometimes in the 70's and then drops to 0 for quite some time. Turner 3 is at a constant 80%.

The HD PVR has been moved into the bedroom, plugged into the output from the Explora's switch and it has an over 90% signal quality and strength.

The viewing on the Explora is not very good, all of the HD channels are not there ,some of the SD ones are. The HDPVR has every single channel, and can record etc etc,

DSTV call centre have blamed everything from the installation to the cables to the LMB. Is the Explora at fault or do I need to look at the LMB, the cables, or even the dish itself?
Old 2014-07-15 , 06:37
Technical Myriad

Check signal and quality on all channels on the HD PVR 2P. If these are okay leave the cables LNB dish and Explora switch alone.

Then make sure cable from the switch to the Explora is okay on the right port A and the settings on the Explora are correct.
Then see what happens.
After that it may be necessary to first check out the Explora at MC

Last edited by Geoff D; 2014-07-15 at 06:41. .
Old 2014-07-15 , 09:19

Hi, thanks for the feedback.
I checked the Explora before leaving home this morning and everything is working again, tuner 1 and 3 both have signal and all the channels working. Let's seeing it is still the same this evening