Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > A-Team - ratio changes

Old 2011-08-14 , 22:18
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Default A-Team - ratio changes

MNetHD, 14 August @ 20:00.

The first 20 or so minutes of the A-Team had so many aspect ratio changes, I almost started to feel nauseous... Every time a shot had some overlay text on it, it was letterboxed and then back to WS. It was horrible.

Can I/we get a definitive answer, does MNet pan and scan the movies or is it received from the supplier like that?
Old 2011-08-15 , 02:29
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyequal View Post
Can I/we get a definitive answer, does MNet pan and scan the movies or is it received from the supplier like that?
I have asked this a couple of times on one of the Box Office threads where the movies are advertised (via the trailers) as cinemascope and then broadcast as 16:9.

It would appear (and I would happily stand to be corrected on this) that MNet are doing a simple zoom and crop on cinemascope content. This procedure is completely unacceptable and should be stopped immediately for reasons of content and picture quality.

On the other hand, if MNet are receiving a proper HD, 16:9 pan and scan studio master for broadcast, this is more than acceptable if preceded by the words, "This movie has been formatted for 16:9".

Note : "formatted to fit this screen" is a bit idiotic.
Old 2011-08-15 , 09:37
Knows how to use a remote

Quote:
MNetHD, 14 August @ 20:00.

The first 20 or so minutes of the A-Team had so many aspect ratio changes, I almost started to feel nauseous... Every time a shot had some overlay text on it, it was letterboxed and then back to WS. It was horrible.

I think its a good thing that they strive to fill the entire screen.
Its not MC's fault that the world can't decide whether to use 16:9 or 21:9.
If my BD player had the function to 'zoom' and remove the letterbox, I would set it to do so permanently.
Besides the A-team had so many restarts, in other movies, you dont notice it.

BTW, the 5.1 feedback on the A-team was unbelievable. The plane take off scene....
Old 2011-08-15 , 10:03
MultiChoice

Have asked the team at M-Net to give me a response on this one. Hang tight, as the channel manager for M-Net HD is away on leave, so am awaiting an answer from his stand-ins.
Old 2011-08-15 , 15:59
MultiChoice

The technical team at M-Net have investigated this and can confirm that the aspect ratio on the movie is indeed correct. On certain scenes, it changes to letterbox but this is intentional as it is an effect created by the director (if you get the movie on DVD, you will notice the same thing).

They assure me that: "Under no circumstances was the movie zoomed or changed at M-Net."
Old 2011-08-15 , 16:08
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
...They assure me that: "Under no circumstances was the movie zoomed or changed at M-Net."
That sounds like it's their all-round policy. From what I've seen generally it does seem to be so, except maybe regarding some cinemascope content (suits me, but not some others), and even that may be changing - this weekend's old flick "The Losers" on M-Action was left in cinemascope mode.

It's unclear how they fit old 4:3 content to 16:9 though. I imagine the change to 16:9 is universal enough now, so think much is possibly being done before delivery. That could explain (past?) cinemascope changes as well.

Last edited by Brian G; 2011-08-15 at 16:26. .
Old 2011-08-15 , 18:06
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Quote:
On certain scenes, it changes to letterbox but this is intentional as it is an effect created by the director (if you get the movie on DVD, you will notice the same thing).
Actually, not the DVD I watched... Everything was letterboxed to 2.35:1, as shot originally.

Quote:
They assure me that: "Under no circumstances was the movie zoomed or changed at M-Net."
Then it was their suppliers... and they also put that: "This film was formatted to fit this screen" (paraphrased)
Old 2011-08-16 , 11:03
Knows how to use a remote

Quote:
Then it was their suppliers... and they also put that: "This film was formatted to fit this screen" (paraphrased)
Curious..
Do you like watching a movie with the black bars on a widescreen tv?
Does it not defeat the purpose of a widescreen since there are no 21:9 tv's on the market?
Old 2011-08-16 , 11:09
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd1 View Post
Curious..
Does it not defeat the purpose of a widescreen since there are no 21:9 tv's on the market?
If the movies was filmed in a ratio wider than 16:9 then I'm 100% happy with black bars at the top and bottom. Any other way means that part of the picture is cropped which is always unacceptable to me. It does not defeat the purpose of a widescreen TV since - on a 4:3 TV - even more picture would be lost otherwise.
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.

Last edited by Krugie; 2011-08-16 at 11:15. . Reason: spelling
Old 2011-08-16 , 11:10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd1 View Post
Curious..
I agree with you, but this is a widely (no pun intended) debated issue discussed many times on the forum - the two concerns are loss of quality (stretching) and loss of the picure details that were on the edges of the original video.