Old 2009-11-17 , 09:51
Knows how to use a remote

Default Holiday Home installation

Just a question regarding a holiday home installation...

We've got a holiday home which the whole family shares, the house is split in sections so everyone has their own place. We've all got DSTV subscriptions and over the december holidays someone takes their decoder with. our single lnb is busted and needs to be replaced, can I install a dual or quad lnb and run 2 normal decodes (on the dual) or 4 decoders on the quad ? I've got a HD PVR so maybe I need to take a dual lnb through a 6x multiswitch and connect the PVR to the 4 calbles and the spare two to the other two decoders... will this work ? I've got a SATCR setup at home so I should just make those changes when going on holiday.

is it possible to split a single lnb feed though a multiswitch of some sort to get more feeds ?
Old 2009-11-17 , 09:55
MultiChoice

I suggest you get a twin LNB run two cable to a 6 way multiswitch - four cables to a HD PVR and the remainng two to the other single decoders. No, it is totally not recommanded to split a single LNB to a multiswitch.
Old 2009-11-17 , 10:13
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booysenc View Post
Just a question regarding a holiday home installation...

We've got a holiday home which the whole family shares, the house is split in sections so everyone has their own place. We've all got DSTV subscriptions and over the december holidays someone takes their decoder with. our single lnb is busted and needs to be replaced, can I install a dual or quad lnb and run 2 normal decodes (on the dual) or 4 decoders on the quad ? I've got a HD PVR so maybe I need to take a dual lnb through a 6x multiswitch and connect the PVR to the 4 calbles and the spare two to the other two decoders... will this work ? I've got a SATCR setup at home so I should just make those changes when going on holiday.

is it possible to split a single lnb feed though a multiswitch of some sort to get more feeds ?
(1) The decision should governed by:
(a) How "independent" do you want each of the family branches to be?
(b) How many decoders are involved and what is the chance that all will be present at the same time? Are these decoders a mix of old and new ones?
(c) Is there any talk that XV would be implemented at some stage?

It all depends on how much effort you want to put into doing all the cabling!

If the home is large, consider more than one antenna as another very effective option because it reduces the amount of cabling and improves on overall performance as the cables tend to be shorter

(2) SINGLE LNB split using a splitter or a MS?
A BAD idea because then all would need to watch the same group of channels that others would watch = independence affected.

(3) My recommendatation would be to provide for at least a quad LNB, running cables from that to each of the independent units according to what they need:

Those with single view decoders need one feed, those with dual decoders will need two, and those with HD PVRs will need two.

This will maintain independence as each decoder will be able to control its own settings, activations etc

In your case two feeds combined with a 2x4 MS, will give you all you need for your PVR.

The dual decoder could be fed off the same two feeds from a 2x6 MS if it is practically possible to run cables from the MS to the site where the dual view decoder is installed.

You can always add a MS to the other feeds when it becomes necessary as long as you work in pairs.

In other words the quad LNB with 2 (2x6) Ms's will effectively give you the ability to run two HD decoders and 2 dual view/ SD decoders, Or 4 single view decoders combined with the 2 HD decoders off one LNB, provided it is practically possible to locate the MS's at a point where the cable distribution is possible.
IF you choose this optoin, then I would suggest you get "self powered" MS's that can be installed away from the decoders, nearer the antenna location, because then MS's will not be dependent on any specific decoder being present at any time. (SAMSAT make such MS's)

(4) A Twin LNB with a 2x6 MS will allow one HD decoder, with 2 single view decoders
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.

Last edited by Geoff D; 2009-11-17 at 10:27. .