Old 2012-05-06 , 15:33
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
As per http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthre...ult-8118-error, capacitor C10 (not C20) needs to replaced. I replaced the one in my DSD1110, and the decoder is up and running again! Case closed
Good stuff.

For anyone else who wants to attempt a DIY, here is what you need to replace, C10.

Last edited by Toilet Duck; 2012-05-06 at 17:29. .
Old 2012-05-06 , 21:09
Knows how to use a remote

Thanks to clues on the Internet, and some electronic repair skills, I viewed it as a challenge to fix our DSD1110, especially since it was outside of the warranty period. Given the availability of repair information, anyone with the requisite skills and tools should be empowered to fix anything from hair driers to decoders (if it is an obvious problem like PSU), just like in the old days.

It's ironic that companies like UEC would probably consider themselves to be "green", yet they make it difficult to repair their products, using e.g. torx screws to discourage people from opening up their products, and not freely publishing repair & servicing information.

In the end their products end up on the scrap heap, polluting the environment and ensuring a recurring revenue stream thanks to sales of replacement equipment...
Old 2012-05-06 , 21:27
Technical Myriad

Fully agree! This nonsense of trying to prevent anyone from opening a decoder or any other consumer electronics is nothing short of blackmail to "force" one onto a situation where the consumer feels "obliged" to deal with a decoder by handing it in for repair. Many a decoder has been repaired by myself. I have a SD PVR that is one of the very first. I have a DSD 660 that is still fully working. I have three TVs that are approaching 20 years old, NONE of these have posed any major challenge , contrary to what the suppliers try to make out. Most "hardware" faults end up being pretty basic ---- the only fault that generally can't be fully diagnosed and fixed is a lightning strike or a major power surge.

The decoders I have worked on have always had basic faults --- dirt and dust, faulty cooling fans ( mostly becuase the fans are under specc'd in the first place), HDD failure and power supply failures.

Even this absolutely disgusting UEC HD PVR I have at the moment has shown some improvement over time. The lack of access to basic circuit diagrams only delays the repair process, it does not stop it.

(aside) I have been to a "central repair facility" for MCs decoders and observed what goes on there. I was once responsible for one of the largest "panel repair" shops in the country, and I could quickly assess what I saw and I was anything but impressed.

This is the reason why I will not ever again accept a "refurbished" decoder as a swop from MC. I will rather buy a new one when my repair abilities have ended up not being adequate to fix what I have got. Better the devil you know than the one you get!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Thanks to clues on the Internet, and some electronic repair skills, I viewed it as a challenge to fix our DSD1110, especially since it was outside of the warranty period. Given the availability of repair information, anyone with the requisite skills and tools should be empowered to fix anything from hair driers to decoders (if it is an obvious problem like PSU), just like in the old days.

It's ironic that companies like UEC would probably consider themselves to be "green", yet they make it difficult to repair their products, using e.g. torx screws to discourage people from opening up their products, and not freely publishing repair & servicing information.

In the end their products end up on the scrap heap, polluting the environment and ensuring a recurring revenue stream thanks to sales of replacement equipment...
Old 2012-05-11 , 12:00
MultiChoice

The single view decoders are the most popular in our decoder range, and like most products has an end of design life. The 8118 error code means that the power supply unit needs to be replaced. Our market is vulnerable to surge, which damages the power supply unit and as a precaution we recommend purchasing a surge protector, which will not only protect your decoder but TVís and other equipment
Old 2012-05-11 , 15:55
Still gets up to change channels

My decoder also started looping the 8118 error yesterday, I took out the power supply, took it too the nearest electronic dealer, they replaced the capacitor within 5 minutes, total cost R25. Thanks to the clever guys on this forum!
Old 2012-11-29 , 13:03

I had the 8118 error code on my 1110 decoder and i took it to randburg multichoice yesterday. It was fixed within 5 minutes but they did not swop it, will I be charged the same amount as someone who swopped his decoder?
Old 2012-11-29 , 13:05
MultiChoice

8118 = power supply issue

what did they advise you at the counter?
Old 2012-11-29 , 13:40

I was told that the error as to do with the power supply and the lady said the technician will fix it. She left and cameback and checked it and it was working. I got home connected and everything was fine. I am just not sure if come end of the month i will see extra deductions from my account.
Old 2012-11-29 , 17:54
MultiChoice

Check your bill and let me know or you can contact the call centre and they can verify your bill
Old 2012-11-30 , 07:37
MultiChoice | Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skhokho- View Post
I was told that the error as to do with the power supply and the lady said the technician will fix it. She left and cameback and checked it and it was working. I got home connected and everything was fine. I am just not sure if come end of the month i will see extra deductions from my account.
Hi,

If there was a repair charge, then you would have had to pay it at the counter - and the agent who helped would then have had to inform you of such.