Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > DStv BoxOffice Snatching SA moviegoers

Old 2012-05-05 , 14:58
Changes remote batteries daily

Bigger screen!! Insane sound 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick No 1 View Post
The video and audio are dreadful, not to mention the dirty seats and inconsiderate patrons.

In what way, to you, is the cinema experience better than home?
Old 2012-05-06 , 11:42

In the cinema it is mostly dark and your attention is more focused on the screen than in the home where something drawing your attention away from the film is more likely to happen. Well, that was my experience when I used to go to the cinema many years ago.

This in addition to the sound system available in the cinemas these days.
Old 2012-05-07 , 12:34

The reality for me is as follow ...
  • When I watch a movie on the big screen, I get the big screen and sound experience and for a number of blockbusters I consider this good value.
  • When I rent from the large selection of Blu ray movies available for home viewing, I get superb quality picture (1080p/letterbox) which could include 3D as well has lossless sound. Again, I consider this, good value.
  • When I watch a movie on Box-Office, I get the same experience as watching it as part of the regular subscription. The only things is that I move the "viewing window" forward a few months which has the knock on effect of reducing the available titles when those movies become part of my regular subscription. I, personally, consider this a rip-off.
So, back to the original post and other comments. My movie watching is at reasonably modern cinemas in upmarket malls. I go to Ster-Kinekor because they have good deals linked to Discovery and I normally have a great movie experience. I also categorise my movies into "That will be great on the big screen" and "I can wait to watch that on DSTV". So, if I'm prepared to wait to watch it on the regular subscription, what on earth would possess me to shell out to bring the viewing window forward a month or two?

I still believe, that with great marketing and deals, the movie houses can bring back those patrons and everyone will win.

Last edited by Simon; 2012-05-07 at 12:36. .
Old 2012-05-07 , 19:59
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
The reality for me is as follow ...
  • When I watch a movie on the big screen, I get the big screen and sound experience and for a number of blockbusters I consider this good value.
  • When I rent from the large selection of Blu ray movies available for home viewing, I get superb quality picture (1080p/letterbox) which could include 3D as well has lossless sound. Again, I consider this, good value.
  • When I watch a movie on Box-Office, I get the same experience as watching it as part of the regular subscription. The only things is that I move the "viewing window" forward a few months which has the knock on effect of reducing the available titles when those movies become part of my regular subscription. I, personally, consider this a rip-off.
So, back to the original post and other comments. My movie watching is at reasonably modern cinemas in upmarket malls. I go to Ster-Kinekor because they have good deals linked to Discovery and I normally have a great movie experience. I also categorise my movies into "That will be great on the big screen" and "I can wait to watch that on DSTV". So, if I'm prepared to wait to watch it on the regular subscription, what on earth would possess me to shell out to bring the viewing window forward a month or two?

I still believe, that with great marketing and deals, the movie houses can bring back those patrons and everyone will win.
I'm not sure I understand the rip off here, you have a choice? Just like renting a movie, also brings the window forward?

G
Old 2012-05-07 , 20:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
Just like renting a movie, also brings the window forward?
I'm not sure that you actually bothered to read the post, which is unlike you. I explained quite clearly the difference between renting a movie and box-office. The viewing window was specifically not one of the things that I mentioned.

The viewing window was mentioned specifically as a difference between Box-Office and watching the movie under my regular subscription.
Old 2012-05-08 , 07:56
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
I'm not sure that you actually bothered to read the post, which is unlike you. I explained quite clearly the difference between renting a movie and box-office. The viewing window was specifically not one of the things that I mentioned.

The viewing window was mentioned specifically as a difference between Box-Office and watching the movie under my regular subscription.
I did read post, not sure I understand the logic. BO is direct compitetion and timeline with rentals. Agree Bluray offers 1080p which to you and I make a difference but to 90% of people are not bothered.

G

Last edited by MC Nic; 2012-05-08 at 08:37. . Reason: Typo
Old 2012-05-08 , 09:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
BO is direct compitetion and timeline with rentals.
Please take some time to read it again. The ONLY think that BO offers over the regular subscription experience is moving the timeline forward and by knock on effect, reducing the "available" movies under your regular subscription. That to me is a rip off.

The other methods (Big Screen / Video Rental) offer value for OTHER reasons. I have already detailed those quite clearly.

Get it?
Old 2012-05-08 , 11:26
MultiChoice

Quote:
Please take some time to read it again. The ONLY think that BO offers over the regular subscription experience is moving the timeline forward and by knock on effect, reducing the "available" movies under your regular subscription. That to me is a rip off.

The other methods (Big Screen / Video Rental) offer value for OTHER reasons. I have already detailed those quite clearly.

Get it?
I've mentioned this before in this thread but I'll re-post it because I think it's valid given the context of what you're saying here.

I think it's unfair to call BoxOffice a "rip-off" for two main reasons:

First, you have a choice. Using your definition, simply bringing the viewing window forward and "reducing the "available" movies under your regular subscription" is something that DVD rentals (not Blu-ray) also do. You're charged a fee for the privilege to see the movie before it's made available on Pay TV or public access.

Surely renting a blockbuster movie (which will eventually end up on Pay TV anyway) from a DVD store is also "reducing the "available" movies under your regular subscription"?

Granted, Blu-ray does offer a vastly superior viewing experience for A/V-philes like you, me and probably lots of other people on this forum. But, technicalities like aspect ratio, audio encoding etc. don't mean anything to people who just want to sit down in front of their TV, turn it on and want to be entertained.

Second, BoxOffice offers you, at the very least, the same kind of service as a DVD rental, just a lot more convenient.

And judging by the hugely positive response we've had form our customers, it's what people want.

I can't give exact numbers for legal reasons, but, Simon, I think you'll be very surprised to see how many rentals we have per day on BoxOffice.

People really are liking and using the service, exceeding our expectations on many levels. If the service was a rip-off, I don't think we'd be seeing even a third of the usage we're experiencing at the moment.

BoxOffice isn't for everyone and we're okay with that - I'll admit. For people who are video and audio enthusiasts, who like their movies to be in perfect 2.39:1 aspect ratio with Dolby Digital sound, people who know their stuff...BoxOffice won't be their thing.

But, these people are in the minority, and judging by the response we've had from the majority of our customers, the majority of people who use BoxOffice think it's good value for money because:

- You don't have to get in your car and drive to the DVD store (or wait to have the movie delivered to your house)
- You don't have to worry about "booking" the movie or phoning to find out if it's available
- You don't have to worry about the disc being damaged or unplayable, or going missing, or ending up in the dog's belly
- You don't have to worry about returning the disc to the store or "late fees" for missing the deadline
- You can keep the movie for 48 hours (so, essentially, it's R12,50 per day - WAY cheaper than any DVD store for a New Release)
- The service is open 24 hours a day. You can rent Real Steel at 3AM if you like
- You can hire movies even if you live far from any movie rental business - like in the middle of the Kalahari...
- Instant gratification - you can watch the trailer on your PVR, make a decision on the spot and have the movie ready to watch in a few minutes
- We don't charge a premium for HD movies
- You have full control over who watches the movies on your PVR. If you don't want the kids to watch an R-rated movie, you get full parental controls

I'll say it again, many people who have DStv still rent movies form DVD stores as well. There's no difference between having DStv and renting movies at the DVD store; and having DStv and renting movies on BoxOffice.

Whether you choose to pay a DVD store owner to rent a DVD or Blu-ray for 24 hours or you're paying DStv to rent a movie on your PVR for 48 hours, you're still paying for the privilege of watching a movie sooner than it's made available on TV.

The only difference is that DStv has made it more convenient. But the principle is still the same.

It's really a matter of perspective. I don't mind spending R1,000 on a good bottle of Single Malt whisky. You might think it's a rip-off. But I get something out of it that you probably don't realise.

The same goes for cars, banks, clothes, technology, anything you're going to spend money on. There is perceived value in everything, and just because anyone chooses to spend money on something that adds value to their lives or gives them something they've been missing, doesn't mean that they are being ripped off.

It's all a matter of perspective.

Paying $200m for a painting by Edvard Munch - is that a rip-off?
Paying $1,700 an ounce for a Kruger Rand - is that a rip off?
Buying a Macbook Pro for R16,000 - is that a rip off?
Eating Beluga Caviar at R10,000 per 100g - is that a rip off?
Is paying R700 for 200ml of Hugo Boss a rip off?

We all have our own perceptions and realities, and there is enough space in the world for everyone to live those realities for themselves.

If you love the convenience of being able to rent movies in the comfort of your own home, awesome. DStv appreciates your business.

If you want more form your movie watching experience, like a bigger screen, better sound or a 1080p picture, awesome too, you're entitled to it.
Old 2012-05-08 , 11:47

Although I haven't made use of Box Office and am one of those who prefer to wait till the movie is available on the normal DSTV channels I must say that two members of my family have used Box Office and both have been impressed by the service.

When asked they both said that they would more than likely use the service again although not extensively and only when the need arises.

So yes for some people Box Office works very well.
Old 2012-05-08 , 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Nic View Post
Surely renting a blockbuster movie (which will eventually end up on Pay TV anyway) from a DVD store is also "reducing the "available" movies under your regular subscription"?
The point that I made (a few times) about the DVD store was to get a Blu-ray for the increased viewing experience and video quality. Not going to the store to watch a movie ahead of its box-office or Pay TV window. I think it was quite clear in my post where I felt the value offerings were both at both the DVD store and the Big Screen and for neither of those did I include the viewing window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Nic View Post
And judging by the hugely positive response we've had form our customers, it's what people want.

I can't give exact numbers for legal reasons, but, Simon, I think you'll be very surprised to see how many rentals we have per day on BoxOffice.
I'm not surprised at all. When one sits down to watch a movie in the evening and one receives some added choice, the offering is very tempting. At R25 rand, it does (on face value) appear to be a really good deal. However, I still maintain that the only real value of box-office over regular subscription is moving the viewing window forward which you can surely see reduces the number of available titles when those same movies move into the regular pay TV window. Now the subscriber is in a catch 22, trapped in a box-office cycle.

Quote:
People really are liking and using the service, exceeding our expectations on many levels. If the service was a rip-off, I don't think we'd be seeing even a third of the usage we're experiencing at the moment.
Again, I'm not surprised. But just because a lot of people get sucked into a service, doesn't mean that the whole concept isn't a rip-off.