Forum > DStv Products > Standard decoder > Build your own decoder
Closed Thread
Old 2012-04-04 , 16:41
Still listens to the wireless

Default Build your own decoder

Before I begin. Please note that this is NOT a query for free DSTV. To those who don't understand I will still be decoding channels and authenticating my DSTV subscription using my smart card.

After recently 'upgrading' from a TD850IMC to a TDS865IMC I've had enough of low end multichoice decoders. On top of the hardware cost there is an overpriced installation cost to avoid voiding your warranty.

I would like to setup DSTV without a DSTV decoder anywhere in the picture. I would prefer a single media centre box that does satellite, DVD's, web browsing (including youtube etc) and some casual gaming. I've already assessed what hardware would be required and it works out at approximately the same as a decoder installation yet it's far superior in every way.

What baffles me is why a product or a smart card reader cannot be used for encryption/decryption. Preferably it needs to be a low profile card as I'd prefer a slim PC that would be more aesthetically pleasing in my TV cabinet. It also needs to be able to record more than one channel at a time (Like their old decoders) I can then drop kick my DVD player along with my decoder while I'm at it.

Last edited by MC Marietjie; 2012-04-05 at 10:03. . Reason: External links advertising non-supported products
Old 2012-04-04 , 19:07
Changes remote batteries daily

Hi PsiCoRe, dream on!
This has raised before, more than once; quite simply put it won't be considered by MC.

MC has gone out of its way to marry its smart cards with its own decoders, by decoder ident number, primarily in order to avoid fraud. This degree of integration has increased over time and is now very tight indeed.

Additionally, in order to keep the smart card active, there is a regular handshake that takes place between it and the decoder when prompted over the air. This handshake will not happen without an MC decoder, so the smart card would simply turn off; assuming you could get it to operate in the first place, which I very much doubt.

There is no way that MC will budge a micron from this position. Cheers, K.

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2012-04-04 at 19:14. .
Old 2012-04-05 , 08:42
Technical Myriad

but if you want to and it is just a hobby, keep playing around --- it will not be easy and you will need to steel yourself for plenty of dissappointment ----
Old 2012-04-05 , 13:12

I think it would be an interesting project. I might do it when I have around R2K to throw at it. Alternatively next time I get a new PC or upgrade. Maybe I can scrounge some parts together for a test setup.

I am curious to know what fraud or other issues they have with a project like this. I can understand it if they're trying to protect from valid exploits, but they could at least provide better hardware choices than the awful ones we have right now. A project like this would then only be for academic reasons.
Old 2012-04-05 , 13:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsiCoRe View Post
.......but they could at least provide better hardware choices than the awful ones we have right now.......
Not a fair comment IMHO, PsiCoRe; the baby Pace 2P is an absolutely super little box, and its two predesessors were pretty much the best around at the time they were released.

They have been limited only by shortfalls in MC's underpinning layers of code which continue to blight us even today. Cheers, K.
Old 2012-04-05 , 14:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post
Not a fair comment IMHO, PsiCoRe; the baby Pace 2P is an absolutely super little box, and its two predesessors were pretty much the best around at the time they were released.
Well compared to other decoders and set top boxes out there it's quite good, but it's nothing compared to the media centre I have in mind ( final specs may vary):

AMD / Intel dual core: 1.8Ghz or higher
1GB DDR2 or better
HD5450 512MB low profile GPU or higher
2x SATA hdd's (240GB or higher)
DVB-S2: Anysee E30 PS2 Plus or better

This hardware also won't suffer from the cooling issues that the pace decoders seem to suffer from and most importantly it will be a multifunctional media centre (Media server, satellite decoder, DVD player, web browser, low end gaming PC and video streaming for online rentals and purchases). I would like to see detailed specs of the TDS865IMC to compare. It will most likely run Ubuntu and I would like to investigate using Ubuntu TV as its media centre. Alternatively it will use MythTV for viewing satellite channels.
Old 2012-04-07 , 18:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsiCoRe View Post
Well compared to other decoders and set top boxes out there it's quite good, but it's nothing compared to the media centre I have in mind ( final specs may vary):

AMD / Intel dual core: 1.8Ghz or higher
1GB DDR2 or better
HD5450 512MB low profile GPU or higher
2x SATA hdd's (240GB or higher)
DVB-S2: Anysee E30 PS2 Plus or better

This hardware also won't suffer from the cooling issues that the pace decoders seem to suffer from and most importantly it will be a multifunctional media centre (Media server, satellite decoder, DVD player, web browser, low end gaming PC and video streaming for online rentals and purchases). I would like to see detailed specs of the TDS865IMC to compare. It will most likely run Ubuntu and I would like to investigate using Ubuntu TV as its media centre. Alternatively it will use MythTV for viewing satellite channels.
Yip. all of the above. But you won't build it for the subsidised R1,500 of the 2P.
Good luck anyway and keep us in the loop, please. Cheers, K.
Old 2012-04-10 , 17:12
Knows how to use a remote

In the mid-1980's, when encrypted analog MNet transmissions started out on terrestrial TV channels, I took my portable colour TV to the university lab to try to 'crack' it using lab test equipment. Like today, it used digital sound-in-sync, which I never managed to decode. Using a simple unlocked signal generator chip I was able to stabilise the image, but it kept on drifting sideways or up or down. Interesting days those were
Old 2012-04-12 , 16:46
Technical Myriad

Here's another possible candidate for your build your own decoder

http://www.comprousa.com/en/product/s900/s900.html

Now what a few of ushave done is opened one of these, Id'd the chips inside and built us a very cheap means of monitoring continuously DVBs/s2 feeds ( literally we now have a simple dongle (USB) and some s/w that can be used as a FSM.

Total cost: R 250.00
Old 2012-04-13 , 15:32
Technical Myriad

and some more .......

this IS how easy all of this stuff is!

TBS5980 is a digital satellite external TV Tuner box with USB connection for watching and recording digital satellite TV on PC. With integrated CI slot, it can be used for watching Free to Air TV and Pay TV(By inserting the correct CAM and subscription smartcard into the CI slot, encrypted pay TV will be available). Both Windows BDA driver and Linux driver up to the latest kernel are provided. The unique TBS MCE tool makes it possible to read CAM/Smartcard on Windows7 Media Center, thus your satellite subscription TV can be watched/recorded on Windows7 Media Center. On Linux platform, you can also watch paytv by using correct software. TBS5980 is compatible with Windows7 Media Center, MediaPortal, DVBlink, DVBDream, DVBViewer, ProgDVB, Skynet, TSreader, XBMC,MythTV,VDR and many other popular softwares. With use of appropriate software, e.g. MediaPortal and its’ plugins, you may stream satellite TV contents to your IPhone, IPAD or IPOD. The built in hardware blindscan capability allows you to scan satellite programs without knowing exact transponder details, this is especially useful for hunting unknown satellite feeds.
Main Feature:
Watch Satellite TV & listen to Radio on PC
DVB-S2/DVB-S SD or HD TV Receiving
Real Time and Scheduled Program Recording(PVR)
Time Shifting to Pause Live TV
Unicable/One Cable compatible
Common Interface Support
Blindscan
High reliability
Specification:
Receiving Frequency: 950~2150 MHz Tuning Range
Input level: -69~-23dBm
DVB-S2/DVB-S 8PSK QPSK Demodulator
Symbol Rate:
DVB-S QPSK 1~45Msps
DVB-S2 QPSK/8PSK 1~45Msps
Carrier Capture Range: ±10MHz
8PSK Puncture codes: 3/5,2/3,3/4,5/6,8/9,9/10
QPSK Puncture codes: 1/2,3/5,2/3,3/4,4/5,5/6,8/9,9/10.
Support Data Burst & Tone Burst
Support DiSEqC2.X and Motor
Single CI Slot
TV Box Size: 103x88x22mm (Length x Width x Height)
TV Box Weight: 200 Gram
Package Gift Box Size: 210x175x55mm (Length x Width x Height)
Package Gift Box Weight: 726 Gram
System Requirements:
Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 or Linux
DirectX9.0 or later Version
Available USB2.0 Port
Satellite Dish and LNB
For DVB-S:
1GHz CPU or above
256MB RAM or above
Graphic Card with at least 16MB RAM
For DVB-S2 HDTV:
Dualcore CPU
1GB RAM or Above
Graphic Card with at Least 64MB RAM
Package Content:
1 x TBS5980 USB DVB-S2 TV CI Box
1 x remote control
1 x Power Adapter
1 x USB Cable
1 x Software CD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13079560910.jpg (39.5 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by Geoff D; 2012-04-13 at 15:35. .
Closed Thread