Old 2012-04-03 , 15:16
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Angry Remote not working

Help..since the new software was downloaded to my pvr the remote doesn't work properly..it will do the 1st step of a function ie go to tv guide and then it freezes.The light just flashes red on the remote whenever I try to use it..ggrrrr
Old 2012-04-03 , 15:45
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda View Post
Help..since the new software was downloaded to my pvr the remote doesn't work properly..it will do the 1st step of a function ie go to tv guide and then it freezes.The light just flashes red on the remote whenever I try to use it..ggrrrr

Can you see if the decoder responds to the keystrokes on the remote? look for an LED that flashes on the FP. If there is a flash (this is the case on the UEC HDPVR), then the remote is okay and the decoder is the problem.

Otherwise it may be that the batteries in the remote have enough for oompfh one key only.
Old 2012-04-04 , 12:40

Smile

Thanks Geoff
Old 2012-04-07 , 12:56

Geoff, look at my post under problems. It is probably not your remote but the huge payload brought about by the upgrade. Every hour and Half-hour this happens.
Old 2012-04-07 , 15:23
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossie Bossert View Post
Geoff, look at my post under problems. It is probably not your remote but the huge payload brought about by the upgrade. Every hour and Half-hour this happens.
Not me but Linda, and yes saw your post and yes it has been picked up and reported to MC. Your conclusions are the same as the rest of us - re processor overload, which has beeen getting worse and worse.
What I can't say I have noticed is the periodicity of the problem -- I will watch out for it.

Last edited by Geoff D; 2012-04-08 at 16:16. .
Old 2012-04-08 , 11:16
Changes remote batteries daily

Lightbulb flasher!

Quote:
..........The light just flashes red on the remote whenever I try to use it.........
Hi Linda, I suspect with all the hoo-hah about issues (real and imaginary) that have been attributed to the recent software upgrade, that clues get overlooked stuff gets bundled in the "upgrade issues" pot.

So, if it really is the light flashing red on the remote control and not on the decoder's front window, then it's a remote control issue; assuming you have a genuine MC remote control.
When working properly, the original (UEI) Multichoice A3 remote will always flash green when being used for normal operation.

So, if we are talking about a red flashing light on an original MC remote control unit, make sure the rotary dial is not rotated halfway between positions; also replace the batteries with fresh ones.

PS If you have some hokey-kokey 2000, cloned remote control, and not a genuine MC one, it's quite possible that it can no longer talk to the decoder as some RC coding has recently changed, causing some cloned remotes to stop working.

Cheers, K.

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2012-04-08 at 11:47. .
Old 2012-04-18 , 07:42

Hi Sandtonman..my remote is still giving me grief..I nearly threw it out the window last night!Yes it's a genuine remote that came with the PVR and worked fine until the new software issues!Last night I could access my recordings..page left and right go up and down but when I pressed ok to watch something..THE DREADED RED LIGHT!!! so I couldn't watch any of the progs.I'd recorded..I'm telling you it has a life of it's own..lol
Old 2012-04-18 , 07:53

Quote:
......my remote is still giving me grief.........I pressed ok to watch something..THE DREADED RED LIGHT!!! .......
Hi Linda, thanks for the feedback.We've established you have a genuine remote, but please answer the key question posed in #6 above

Which is the red light that you are talking about?

A) On the remote control itself?
B) On the front panel of the decoder?

If A), the red light you are talking about on the remote control itself, then there is an issue with the remote.
There is no feedback from the PVR to the remote; so the remote is completely "unaware" of what software you are running on the PVR.
First this to do is fresh batteries in the remote.

If B), the red light you are talking about is on the front panel of the decoder but the decoder is not responding to commands, (the remote itself should still flash green), then it looks like there is an issue with your PVR following the firmware upgrade.

Let us know which, please.

Cheers, K.

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2012-04-18 at 08:05. .
Old 2012-04-18 , 08:54

Wink

The Red Light is on the remote over the number 1 (sorry I'm not very technical lol)It's had new batteries and the decoder is about 14 mths old....I suppose it's on it's way to Remote Heaven!!!
Old 2012-04-18 , 11:41

Smile

Quote:
The Red Light is on the remote over the number 1 (sorry I'm not very technical lol) It's had new batteries and the decoder is about 14 mths old....I suppose it's on it's way to Remote Heaven!!!
OK, linda; so this is a problem with the remote. It has nothing to do with the decoder or decoder firmware.

Possibly a silicon heaven candidate, but these things are exceptionally reliable, (except that the "trick mode" toggle occasionally breaks off). So it would be most unusual if it has failed.

Are you sure that the "new" batteries were just not an old unmatched pair, of unknown pedigree, knocking around in the same draw that years-old mobile phones live in?

I'd still plump for some fresh batteries rather than the remote having failed; new ones, out of a packet?

Also rotate the dial away from "1" and then back again to make sure it has locked properly in the "1" position; I've seen that problem giving the red flash.

Let us know. Cheers, K.