Forum

Forum (http://forum.dstv.com/index.php)
-   PVR Decoders (http://forum.dstv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   The DStv WiFi Connector (http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=24408)

MC Brenda 2014-11-12 18:33

The DStv WiFi Connector

When we launched our the DStv Explora last year, we promised our customers we’d connect it to the internet before the end of 2014, and now we’re delivering on that that promise!

We’re pleased to announce that your DStv Explora can now be connected to the internet.

By linking the DStv Explora to the internet, customers will get access to Connected Services* – namely [B][COLOR="Blue"][URL="http://selfservice.dstv.com/self-service/decoders/dstv-explora/dstv-catch-up-plus/"]DStv Catch Up Plus[/URL][/COLOR][/B] and [COLOR="Blue"][B][URL="http://selfservice.dstv.com/self-service/decoders/dstv-explora/remote-recordings/"]Remote Recordings[/URL][/B][/COLOR].

To go with this, we now have a [B]DStv WiFi Connector[/B].

[IMG]http://forum.dstv.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4183&stc=1&d=1415802027[/IMG]

The DStv WiFi Connector allows customers to link their DStv Explora to the router in their home. It does so easily and wirelessly.

[B][COLOR="Blue"]How much is the DStv WiFi Connector?[/COLOR][/B]
The recommended retail price is [B]R399[/B].

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Where can I buy a DStv WiFi Connector?[/COLOR][/B]
You can buy a DStv WiFi Connector from any of the DStv service centres, MultiChoice agencies or at major retailers (from next week).

[B][COLOR="Blue"]What does the DStv WiFi Connector come with?[/COLOR][/B]
The DStv WiFi Connector comes with cabling and a basic user guide.

[B][COLOR="Blue"]What is the warranty on the DStv WiFi Connector?[/COLOR][/B]
The DStv WiFi Connector comes with a 12-month warranty from the date of purchase.

[COLOR="Blue"][B]How do customers connect their DStv Explora to the internet using the DStv WiFi Connector?[/B][/COLOR]
You can find helpful "how to" videos [URL="http://selfservice.dstv.com/self-service/decoders/dstv-explora/connecting-to-the-internet/"]here[/URL] and also download step-by-step instructions that you can print to help you set it up.

[I]*Data charges apply when using Connected Services on the DStv Explora and we recommend an uncapped ADSL account, with a minimum 2Mbps download speed. Downloading video consumes large amounts of data so please be aware of data package limits and costs. DStv will not be held responsible for data usage. R75 access fee payable. DStv Catch Up Plus exclusive to DStv Premium customers. Terms and Conditions apply. Visit [/I][URL="www.dstv.com/getconnected"]dstv.com/GetConnected[/URL] [I]for more information.[/I]

Simon 2014-11-12 19:18

What about connecting [I]without[/I] a WiFi connector?

ivanj 2014-11-12 19:20

Hi Simon

You can connect the explora directly to your current home network as well via Ethernet

Simon 2014-11-12 19:22

[QUOTE=ivanj]You can connect the explora directly to your current home network as well via Ethernet[/QUOTE]

Thanks, just found that.

Raptorx 2014-11-12 19:27

Will you be able to schedule the downloads to only download between 12am and 7am? For the telkom softcap People.

MC Brenda 2014-11-12 19:32

There is no way to "pick" the time they download unless you switch your internet connection off outside of those periods.

Simon 2014-11-12 19:35

[QUOTE=Raptorx;206942]Will you be able to schedule the downloads to only download between 12am and 7am? For the telkom softcap People.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't you just start your downloads at midnight? I know it's the low tech solution you didn't want to hear.

Raptorx 2014-11-12 19:53

[QUOTE=Simon;206952]Couldn't you just start your downloads at midnight? I know it's the low tech solution you didn't want to hear.[/QUOTE]

Yes you can. Will need to try the Parental controls on my router. But it's 2014 every other download device in my home can be scheduled :confused:. But we finally have internet access on the device so glad for that at least.

gwalker 2014-11-12 22:27

[QUOTE=Raptorx;206959]Yes you can. Will need to try the Parental controls on my router. But it's 2014 every other download device in my home can be scheduled :confused:. But we finally have internet access on the device so glad for that at least.[/QUOTE]

We were told tonight that a 'download manager' is in the works for a later release

Hubert 2014-11-12 23:08

Few questions:

- will we need a software update before the functionality is enabled?
- it's clear that the dongle will only be available next week, but for peeps who have Ethernet close to their decoders, is the functionality working already, or will it only be enabled once the dongles are available?
- the link in the first post to "[URL="http://selfservice.dstv.com/self-service/decoders/dstv-explora/dstv-catch-up-plus/"]catchup plus[/URL]" is incorrect

gwalker 2014-11-12 23:13

[QUOTE=Hubert;206990]Few questions:

- it's clear that the dongle will only be available next week, but for peeps who have Ethernet close to their decoders, is the functionality working already, or will it only be enabled once the dongles are available?
- the link in the first post to "[URL="http://selfservice.dstv.com/self-service/decoders/dstv-explora/dstv-catch-up-plus/"]catchup plus[/URL]" is incorrect[/QUOTE]

Yes new software been rolled out this week

The is no dongle. It is a WiFi Ethernet connector. It simply plugs into the Ethernet port with a LAN cable. It is powered by an USB port. If you have a LAN cable available you can use that.

Functionality will work once software is updated.

Raptorx 2014-11-12 23:20

[QUOTE=gwalker;206981]We were told tonight that a 'download manager' is in the works for a later release[/QUOTE]

That will be very nice:). Got my router's parental control to only allow it to connect between 12am - 7am. That will have to do for now.
My Explora has a Ethernet cable connected to it for the last week:p

nelis 2014-11-13 13:36

I'm curious to know now that the Explora is Internet connected..

Is the Explora only going to be used for the already mentioned features or will Multichoice also be pulling information back from these devices in the background to see what people are up to ?

Either way, it will not take us long to figure out if they are but I'm interested to know nevertheless.

I take my privacy very seriously(not that I have anything to hide).

Nelis

MC Brenda 2014-11-13 13:44

Hi Nelis
We have had a research panel for a number of years already.
This is where we connect a device to your decoder that then sends data and feedback to us via the internet.
This is done with your knowledge and consent (ie. the panelists are aware that we are drawing viewing data from their decoders).
The info that we get cannot be shared at a user level, ie. user x watched channel Y for 1 hour. We use the data at a broader level to understand what are customers are watching and how they are using the decoder.
Be rest assured, we will not be tapping into your particular viewing habits without your knowledge.

nelis 2014-11-13 14:05

[QUOTE=MC Brenda;207105]Hi Nelis
We have had a research panel for a number of years already.
This is where we connect a device to your decoder that then sends data and feedback to us via the internet.
This is done with your knowledge and consent (ie. the panelists are aware that we are drawing viewing data from their decoders).
The info that we get cannot be shared at a user level, ie. user x watched channel Y for 1 hour. We use the data at a broader level to understand what are customers are watching and how they are using the decoder.
Be rest assured, we will not be tapping into your particular viewing habits without your knowledge.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the information Brenda.

Nelis

seanred 2014-11-13 18:08

[QUOTE=Hubert;206990]Few questions:

- the link in the first post to "[URL="http://selfservice.dstv.com/self-service/decoders/dstv-explora/dstv-catch-up-plus/"]catchup plus[/URL]" is incorrect[/QUOTE]

Not ready as of 1800. I have connected vie Ethernet, went to Help, but no Tools available, did a reboot, no luck, early days yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MC Brenda 2014-11-13 18:11

[QUOTE=seanred;207183]Not ready as of 1800. I have connected vie Ethernet, went to Help, but no Tools available, did a reboot, no luck, early days yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
The software is due to roll out tomorrow morning, keep an eye out for updates then

seanred 2014-11-13 18:19

Tapatalk is slow, thanks for update Brenda. I shall see tomorrow.

Kang 2014-11-14 05:02

My Explora is in my bedroom and as at 4am this morning the new features are there.
It's not connected to my router yet but will be later today.

seanred 2014-11-14 09:28

Mine too. Mediocre series and OLD movies. Waiting for the Box Sets. Early days I guess. I like the stated movies size in MB and Gigs. House of Lies, could we please have episode 1&2, I missed them.
I guess MC needs a thumbs up for trying to better our viewing experience.

Kang 2014-11-14 11:25

Apparently the MWEB Fon wifi extender can be used in the Explora. Any confirmation if this works?

Sandtonman 2014-11-14 11:29

[QUOTE=Kang;207336]Apparently the MWEB Fon wifi extender can be used in the Explora. Any confirmation if this works?[/QUOTE]

Any WiFi extender that has an on-board Ethernet port will work; provided, of course, that it is in decent wireless range of the router when installed next to the Explora.

Just patch the Ethernet port on the WiFi extender to the Ethernet Port on the back of the Explorer, then perform the connectivity check.

Ethernet over mains power is another very good way to get Ethernet to the Explora, in the event that its position is out of Wireless range of the Router. This is how I typically connect.

Cheers, K.

Kang 2014-11-14 11:39

Woo hoo! And I was all depressed that I had to buy the DStv connector. Thanks

Hubert 2014-11-14 12:08

[QUOTE=Sandtonman;207338]

Ethernet over mains power is another very good way to get Ethernet to the Explora, in the event that its position is out of Wireless range of the Router. This is how I typically connect.

Cheers, K.[/QUOTE]

Correct. I hooked up my [URL="http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=105_TPL-401E2K"]Trendnet Ethernet over powerline adapter[/URL] last night and it worked straight away. Plugged one point in the kitchen mains, another in the lounge mains, hooked up the Ethernet cable, and voila! :cool:

seanred 2014-11-14 12:49

[QUOTE=Sandtonman;207338]Any WiFi extender that has an on-board Ethernet port will work; provided, of course, that it is in decent wireless range of the router when installed next to the Explora.

Just patch the Ethernet port on the WiFi extender to the Ethernet Port on the back of the Explorer, then perform the connectivity check.

Cheers, K.[/QUOTE]

Have you got a price and where available? Thanks.

Sandtonman 2014-11-14 16:46

[QUOTE=seanred;207374]Have you got a price and where available? Thanks.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Brought mine in from the UK some years ago; but believe there are now plenty available locally.

The only thing you need to be aware of, if you have 3-phase power in your dwelling, is that the two components of the Ethernet-over-the-mains extender, must be on the same phase of the mains supply.

Cheers, K.

Hubert 2014-11-14 19:08

Picked mine up from Incredible Corruption about 6 months ago and have it connected in four different rooms. At the time the Trendnet starter kit was about R599, but there are multiple suppliers and options these days.

seanred 2014-11-14 19:32

Thanks Hurbert, Have ordered online for mine.

Kang 2014-11-15 19:06

I'm quite angry. 1stly the mweb extender is a POS. It just does not want to connect to my router, even manually.
2ndly because the DSTV website said the wifi connector is available at a MC service centre I drove all the way to Randburg only to find out they don't have and will only have on Monday. Website says retail outlets will have the connector from Monday. I even phoned the call centre to confirm if MC Randburg had stock.

I guess I should just accept the 'sorry for the inconvenience' I got.

MC Fathima 2014-11-15 19:17

@kang
apologies that you could not get the DStv WiFi connector- it will be available in stores from Monday
Where do you live - i will then confirm which outlets have stock. Our branches will also have stock then

Kang 2014-11-15 19:59

I live at home. LOL.
I'm in the Kensington / Bedfordview area.
I called the branch in greenstone and they said they don't know which day next week they will have them.
Will MC Randburg have on Monday?

MC Fathima 2014-11-15 20:15

:)
Let me check with the branch and I will revert in the morning

Terminator 2014-11-17 07:09

MC, I have the Pace 4 Tuner. It has an Ethernet connection. Will it be activated to be used like the Explora or is the wifi dongle limited to the Explora?

ivanj 2014-11-17 07:23

[QUOTE=Kang;207240]My Explora is in my bedroom and as at 4am this morning the new features are there.
It's not connected to my router yet but will be later today.[/QUOTE]

I expect it will be explora only

Kang 2014-11-17 08:15

Yes. The other PVR's do not have the capacity or software for all the cool stuff. I read something like that on the forum somewhere.

And please refrain from using the "D" word. MC frowns on calling it a dongle.[emoji6]

MC Fathima 2014-11-17 08:18

The DStv WiFi connector is only for use with the DStv Explora

Terminator 2014-11-17 09:24

MC, Is there any future plans for the ethernet port on the PACE or will all future plans be for the Explora or a newer decoder sometime in the future? Is the development plans for the PACE or is it an expensive doorstop in the making....?

gwalker 2014-11-17 09:46

[QUOTE=Terminator;208036]MC, Is there any future plans for the ethernet port on the PACE or will all future plans be for the Explora or a newer decoder sometime in the future? Is the development plans for the PACE or is it an expensive doorstop in the making....?[/QUOTE]

The HD PVR series decoders have their specified features and no big plans for it as the development relies on third party vendors.

The future is the Explora series of software.

As for a doorstop, the decoder still offers what it always offered. New enhanced features will not.
It is like complaining your cell phone of yesteryear can't do what a new smartphone does today.

A decoder is a piece of technology at the end of the day and will always have a life, and always budget on a new device every few years or live with what you the unit has now.

QUINTIN 2014-11-17 10:04

Where can I buy the connector in Pretoria?

Kang 2014-11-17 10:31

According to the Google Dion Wired and Kalahari only have it. No confirmation though.

Optimist 2014-11-17 10:33

[QUOTE=QUINTIN;208072]Where can I buy the connector in Pretoria?[/QUOTE]

There's five Pretoria agencies listed if you type in Pretoria here: [URL]http://selfservice.dstv.com/self-service/service-providers/agencies/gauteng/[/URL]

Best to phone them first re availability.

MC Fathima 2014-11-17 10:38

@QUINTIN
i will revert with a list

MC Fathima 2014-11-17 10:40

i can confirm that you can purchase it from Kalahari

Kang 2014-11-17 10:44

I just picked mine up from Makro Crown Mines using my ebucks.
Its still not on display though. They had to fetch it from the back.

MC Fathima 2014-11-17 10:53

for remote recordings
if the Record on Explora icon is greyed out- clear the cache

if the icon is RED, the feature should work correctly

MC Fathima 2014-11-17 11:51

available stocks:
MultiChoice branches, Selected Game stores, H&H, Makro Stores & Dion Wired stores.

MC Fathima 2014-11-17 11:56

here is the Pretoria agency details

Lakeside building A
Gordon Hood Rd
Centurion.

Kang 2014-11-17 14:25

[QUOTE=MC Fathima;208118]for remote recordings

if the icon is RED, the feature should work correctly[/QUOTE]
What do you mean? Won't the remote recording only be available when the dstvNow app is launched?

Krugie 2014-11-17 14:39

[QUOTE=MC Fathima;208118]for remote recordings

if the icon is RED, the feature should work correctly[/QUOTE]

In my case the cache can not be the problem as I even tried from another laptop from which I have never logged on to DSTV.COM before. I have also tried all the other suggestions (unlinking/linking, rebooting, signing off and on etc) with no luck.

Another standalone Explora that is not linked to the same account is working via the same ADSL router. The Explora which isn't working is a primary in a Xtraview configuration.

Geoff D 2014-11-17 15:00

[QUOTE=Krugie;208268]In my case the cache can not be the problem as I even tried from another laptop from which I have never logged on to DSTV.COM before. I have also tried all the other suggestions (unlinking/linking, rebooting, signing off and on etc) with no luck.

Another standalone Explora that is not linked to the same account is working via the same ADSL router. The Explora which isn't working is a primary in a Xtraview configuration.[/QUOTE]

What about the setting in the setup options of the Explora? Is that enabled?

I think the system is very confused between you own decoders ( the pair) and your test decoder ....

Maybe it can't handle two diff setups over one ADSL connection?

maybe you need to analyse what is going on with some Internet tools .

Krugie 2014-11-17 15:09

[QUOTE=Geoff D;208295]What about the setting in the setup options of the Explora? Is that enabled?

I think the system is very confused between you own decoders ( the pair) and your test decoder ....

Maybe it can't handle two diff setups over one ADSL connection?

maybe you need to analyse what is going on with some Internet tools .[/QUOTE]

The remote recording setting is enable (but I have switched it on and off and rebooted several times).

I have two different dstv.com accounts though - one for each Explora and each account only has the one Explora linked to it. The account with the problem does also have a 2P linked to it (Xtraview) but I have tested with that smartcard linked as well as unlinked.

MC states that, if you have two Exploras linked, you will be asked which one to record on - so the system should be able to handle two. Mine are just on separate accounts which should make it even simpler as only 1 Explora smartcard is linked to whichever account I log on to.

Soul1990 2014-11-20 20:50

The DStv WiFi Connector

I just connected my Explora using the free MWEB range extender as a Wifi connector, no problem and set a recording from my phone.

scud 2014-11-21 13:16

I have my explora online, have turned on remote recordings option, opened iOS dstv app, but see no option to record programs. Am I missing something?

MC Fathima 2014-11-21 13:17

@BruceA

i have sent you a PM

MC Marietjie 2014-11-21 13:18

Yes. The DSTV Now App only launches early Dec. For now you can remote record on the online TV guide

scud 2014-11-21 13:19

Thanks, marietjie

Sandtonman 2014-11-21 13:30

[QUOTE=MC Marietjie;209116]..... For now you can remote record on the online TV guide ......[/QUOTE]

Hi MoM, it's worth pointing out that, if using a mobile device, only the 'Full' DSTV site can be used, not the 'mobile' site.

Mobile devices default to the Mobile site and you need to click the link that transfers you to the full site.

This is understood, as the soon-to-be-launched new mobile app will obviate this requirement.
Cheers, K.

Soul1990 2014-11-21 13:31

I used the mobile site to set a recording.

Krugie 2014-11-21 13:42

[QUOTE=Soul1990;209124]I used the mobile site to set a recording.[/QUOTE]

Someone just posted on another thread that the mobile site guide is now also working for setting recordings.

Optimist 2014-11-21 13:45

Maybe it's just in Beta mode for now, so may be off & on...

Geoff D 2014-11-21 14:27

Yup still erratic last I tried ......

Sandtonman 2014-11-21 14:31

[QUOTE=Soul1990;209124]I used the mobile site to set a recording.[/QUOTE]

OK, thanks for the update, Soul990 ; I'll gladly stand corrected.
The Mobile site was not operational for remote recording throughout the beta testing period, with which I was involved as a field trialist.
I've not see a notification from MC to say this has been rectified and unfortunately cannot test as I'm currently overseas and my Explora is powered down.
Cheers, K.

MC Marietjie 2014-11-21 15:31

Mobi site can now be used.

Sandtonman 2014-11-21 15:35

[QUOTE=MC Marietjie;209151]Mobi site can now be used.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the confirmation, Mom. Cheers K.

sKuZz 2014-12-10 06:00

So I bought the wifi connector and connected it using the manual set up (the wps way didn't seem to work) everything seems fine on the device with the power and wifi lights being white as per the guide. Problem is when I try and connect the explora to the net it says it's connected to the router but not the Internet and I should check with my isp if I'm capped. That doesn't make sense when all my other devices are able to access the net with no problem. Can somebody help me please?

Optimist 2014-12-10 07:44

I wouldn't take the error report too literally, sounds like a general description for a connectivity problem that doesn't apply here.

Which ISP are you with?
It may be worth phoning them to enquire but you'll need someone there with senior knowledge and clout if it's what I suspect - some ISPs block certain ports for security reasons and one of them may be needed by the Explora.

MC Fathima 2014-12-10 08:27

@skuZz

please PM me your contact details. Our team will call to assist you

sKuZz 2014-12-10 14:41

I'm with Telkom but I've got an Afrihost and an FNB account as spare of which don't work either. I don't understand why it wouldn't but I'm no networking genius so I could be wrong.
[QUOTE=Optimist;212493]I wouldn't take the error report too literally, sounds like a general description for a connectivity problem that doesn't apply here.

Which ISP are you with?
It may be worth phoning them to enquire but you'll need someone there with senior knowledge and clout if it's what I suspect - some ISPs block certain ports for security reasons and one of them may be needed by the Explora.[/QUOTE]

Optimist 2014-12-10 18:09

Under those circumstances of multiple ISPs I'm certain you are right. So the next consideration is your config settings on your router, which also need someone knowledgeable.

It's also possible that you have a faulty Explora or WiFi Connector.

MC Fathima & the team would be best able to assist further here.

sKuZz 2014-12-10 18:18

I seem to have got it working now. Called the call centre after work and when I went to the Ethernet settings it was flashing between dchp and manual and I couldn't select dchp. Selected manual and tested the connection without changing any items and still had the same error but once I exited the error prompt it miraculously switched to dchp and I had and ip address and all the other fields completed.

So first impressions are that the remote recording is awesome prioritising the remote signal so that you don't miss out. The content on catchup plus is not that great and surely better compression can be used to get us HD content as all my items only offered me an SD download option at large sizes which meant a long waiting period to watch anything. I saw an option to pause downloads which is really great.

dragonmts 2014-12-16 08:28

Got a second Wi-Fi connector for my Explora in the bedroom. Set it up correctly using the manual setup version as I did with the first one. The power light goes white but the Wireless light never lights up. Checking the connectivity tester, it says that there is both links to the router & internet but Catch-up Plus titles never show.
I tried swapping my 2 connectors around, and almost immediately Catch-up Plus started showing on my bedroom Explora. With the new one connected to the lounge decoder, there is still no Wireless light and most of the Catch-up Plus titles are now just DSTV logo's instead of cover art.

Simon 2014-12-16 09:54

Marketing

As suspected, I'm starting to see confusion about this device. A colleague told me yesterday that he was off to buy an Explora and the little attachment to connect to the internet.

I asked him why he didn't just use a R10 ethernet cable.

"You can do that?"

I wonder how many others are out there.

dragonmts 2014-12-16 12:49

No issue with it when it works, but when the router is about 20m away with lots of corners, it makes sense to have a wireless option!

Simon 2014-12-17 02:07

[QUOTE=dragonmts;213201]No issue with it when it works, but when the router is about 20m away with lots of corners, it makes sense to have a wireless option![/QUOTE]

Absolutely. The confusion is that in this particular case there wasn't a need. But it's not obvious that the WiFi Connector is only IF one doesn't have ethernet available.

dragonmts 2014-12-17 07:14

@Simon. If you enjoy Ethernet cables trailing all over your house or installing trunking throughout or laying cables in the ceiling then knock yourself out. I enjoy the clean, uncluttered look. BTW, how much would 20+ metres of Ethernet cable + trunking + time or labour cost? The connector is R350 at Takealot.

Geoff D 2014-12-17 08:45

Its about performance and service quality ............ There is NOTHING to beat wired connections for long term quality and reliability.

Wi-Fi comes off a very poor second best. So I think Simon and I are both hell bent on ensuring High quality. I installed a duct system in my home about 25 years ago, which was for the security system at the time, but I catered for LAN, RF, security and UPS power. I am now in the process of replacing the copper based Ethernet with optic fibre distribution.

I use "wireless" ONLY for the "last inch" and only when it makes sense to use it.

dragonmts 2014-12-18 08:11

I totally get it about quality & performance that Ethernet gives, however, I'm renting and I'm not permitted to drill to install trunking or ductwork so I had to go for the wireless option.
Downloaded a 972Mb movie from Catch-up Plus this morning via the wireless connector and it took 28 minutes and quality is good. However for anyone that doesn't know, all the downloads are SD.

I think it's a great affordable option for the person who cannot make holes in walls to install plugs for trunking or for the DIY challenged!:)

Simon 2014-12-18 23:41

[QUOTE=dragonmts;213419]I think it's a great affordable option for the person who cannot make holes in walls to install plugs for trunking or for the DIY challenged!:)[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Although wires (as Geoff mentioned) are always the best.

HOWEVER. What you're completely missing from my point is that the person involved thought that the dongle was [I]required[/I] for internet access. In his case, a 30cm ethernet cable would have sufficed.