Forum

Forum (http://forum.dstv.com/index.php)
-   PVR Decoders (http://forum.dstv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   "This is a PVR" notification (http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=38032)

Genesistt 2017-04-11 20:04

"This is a PVR" notification

Hi guys

Ok, so 2 nights in a row at roughly the same time we have had the "This is a PVR decoder" notification where it stops whatever you're busy watching on recording or Catch Up and messes with the recordings currently busy.

And of course after this stupid little blip, you can't go back into your recording or Catch Up and just resume, because it refuses. Not until either a fair amount of time has passed for it to get its head straight, or you manually reboot the decoder. And right now rebooting the decoder isn't an option, because we're busy recording!

Very annoying!

RyanDavid 2017-04-12 21:35

Had this a while back, thankfully it's stopped for us now (but not before ruining some of my 'Bond Season' recordings :()

Jan Horn 2017-04-12 22:06

The 102.29 problem has been with us for sometime and as RyanDavid said ruined some of the Bond season for some of us.

Here is a quote of what was promised at the time.

[QUOTE=Optimist;333762]Posted elsewhere;

Originally Posted by MC Mpho
Dear Customers,

To solve the E102 error message (PVR issues), please remove and re-insert the smart card. This is independent of the channel.
We are hoping to download software to resolve this issue at the end of March, the exact date is not set yet.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Regards,
MC Mpho

[/QUOTE]

@MC Mpho What has happened about the promised software fix?

MC Marietjie 2017-04-13 09:18

We're hoping for the software update to go next week - will only be able to let you know on Tuesday.

MC Marietjie 2017-04-19 12:36

Pls note that the software update will only go early May - to be confirmed.

Jan Horn 2017-07-25 11:13

[QUOTE=MC Marietjie;340837]Pls note that the software update will only go early May - to be confirmed.[/QUOTE]

I have not seen this error popping up foe a long time but since the latest software update it reared its ugly head again.

Last night during the recording of The Good Fight it popped up and although it cleared after pressing the "return button" on the remote the recording continued but it now show the little error triangle and the decoder rescheduled for tomorrow.

It is amazing how MC keep breaking something that was previously fixed with their software updates.

Now we will have to wait for in investigation into what is causing the problem and then for the fix and then the testing and for the release of the then next update again.

Krugie 2017-07-25 11:16

I also saw it for the first time in quite a while a few days ago - but no recording was in progress at the time.

Optimist 2017-07-25 11:26

I think this must be what affected a problem recording I had a few days back as well, which was reported elsewhere. When I finally watched it I noticed that there was actually 3 such interruptions during this movie.

I've come to the conclusion that MC have had to backtrack in some of their s/w development, therefore rebuilding some s/w modules. I've no doubt if so it's absolutely necessary, and one would expect that they're going through all their logs to ensure all past issues are addressed again. Hopefully we'll see the end of all of this shortly.

Jan Horn 2017-07-25 20:42

It happened again tonight at 20:23 during the recording of Hawaii Five-0.

Apart of the missing few minutes of recording this is really becoming irritating.

MC Mpho 2017-07-26 09:06

Hi JanHorn,

Apologies for this.

I've escalated your queries and will feedback as soon as I can.

Regards,

Mpho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caneman 2017-08-12 12:04

I also had this on Friday when I tried to watch a recorded program.

MC Mpho 2017-08-15 14:58

Hi Caneman,

Please advise of your smartcard version number.

Thanks,
Mpho

caneman 2017-08-15 17:14

[QUOTE=MC Mpho;357900]Hi Caneman,

Please advise of your smartcard version number.

Thanks,
Mpho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

PM Sent with requested information.

Jan Horn 2017-08-15 18:20

[QUOTE=MC Mpho;355422]Hi JanHorn,

Apologies for this.

I've escalated your queries and will feedback as soon as I can.

Regards,

Mpho

This promised feedback never materialised. I am still experiencing the problem, in fact it popped up at 18:12 tonight.

My smartcard version V7.0.0

Optimist 2017-08-15 18:50

[QUOTE=Jan Horn;357957]I am still experiencing the problem, in fact it popped up at 18:12 tonight.[/QUOTE]

Not related to this thread but still very interesting is the fact that my SD PVR became ultra slow to respond to remote commands again at exactly that time tonight.

Jan Horn 2017-08-15 19:06

Interesting indeed. I am not a believer in coincidence. On the other hand not much we can do about it but point it out to MC. Hopefully someone would be able to find the relationship and do something with it.

MC Mpho 2017-08-17 09:55

Hi there,

The new software release (Load Version L73) is still being rolled out.

This software has a fix for V7 smartcards.
Please monitor and feedback.

Thanks,
Mpho

bothafire 2017-08-19 02:30

Should SD PVR subscribers be wary of a new software update is the service going to deteriorate even more after this update - sceptical that DSTV is trying to improve SD PVR performance.

Optimist 2017-08-19 08:41

[QUOTE=bothafire;358377]Should SD PVR subscribers be wary of a new software update is the service going to deteriorate even more after this update - sceptical that DSTV is trying to improve SD PVR performance.[/QUOTE]

No, my fault for posting mention of the SD PVR here so sorry for that.
The SD PVR is tech discontinued so will not get further software updates, and any adjustments will be made on their side - by now I'm certain the reboots issue must relate to their new system installed a few weeks ago so a bit complex to sort out.

---------

For any others - there's a thread for anything more about the SD PVR, this one is about false PVR related notifications on the Explora (now believed sorted out).

caneman 2017-08-20 22:34

[QUOTE=MC Mpho;358176]Hi there,

Thanks,
Mpho

It happened again last night(Sunday)while watching a recording of Jack Reacher. I do have the latest software.

Jan Horn 2017-08-26 15:52

The new software update did not solve the problem. Since the update I have experienced the problem a few times. The latest was today at 15:30 while recording the F1 qualifying session.
When this happens during a recording the recording is flagged as incomplete and the decoder will attempt to record the session again at a later stage and where the highlight of that event is named the same as the original it will override your recording with the highlight package. This is most annoying

MC Sandipa 2017-08-30 14:06

Hi All

Please note that we are currently testing a fix for this issue and hope to deploy sometime in September...

Thanks for your patience.

Silk 2017-09-07 10:37

FYI, got the "This is a PVR" notification once during the day yesterday and again last night around about 20h30.

Jan Horn 2017-09-11 21:19

[QUOTE=MC Sandipa;359670]Hi All

Please note that we are currently testing a fix for this issue and hope to deploy sometime in September...

Thanks for your patience.[/QUOTE]

Three times this evening during the recording of Madam Secretary. This is really spoiling my viewing of one of the few programs that I really like.

This is extremely annoying. I will now have to wait for CU,

This problem has been with us for months and some of the software updates supposedly included a fix. Please MC do something about it.

caneman 2017-09-18 21:06

When in September? I had another "This is a PVR" notification at 20:05 last night.

Jan Horn 2017-09-19 10:03

There are a few other threads that were started prior to this one regarding this problem.

In this thread post #3 show a quote from one of these threads where it was promised that the problem would be resolved by end of March this year.

In this thread Post #5 Promised a solution by end May

Post #17 the software fix is being rolled out

Post #22 the fix is being tested and will be rolled out during September.

All this just adds to the list of problems that seemingly MC are unable to resolve.

Jan Horn 2017-09-22 14:41

No response from MC. Just a reminder of the responses we have had from MC so far.

[QUOTE=MC Marietjie;340195]We're hoping for the software update to go next week - will only be able to let you know on Tuesday.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=MC Marietjie;340837]Pls note that the software update will only go early May - to be confirmed.[/QUOTE]

Thanks,
Mpho [/QUOTE]

caneman 2017-09-25 09:07

Again last night at 20:40 will watching Showmax! :mad::mad:

MC Sandipa 2017-09-26 15:29

Hi All

A software fix for this was rolled out as communicated but a broadcast configuration still needs to be completed. This is in testing now. As soon as we have a confirmed date, i will let you all know.

Ta

RyanDavid 2017-10-11 15:26

Was just watching something I'd recorded earlier (Explora1) when I got one of the annoying blackscreen freezes, then "checking decoder status" messages (seriously, these are ridiculously frequent these days, I assume related to your recent changes/upgrades in this regard, but it's a poor show that they have to interrupt our viewing in this way).

When this authorisation check had finished I had been kicked out of the recording I was watching. When I try to resume now I get the dreaded "This is a PVR, if you upgrade your decoder" message and so can't continue watching. I guess I'll try again later, maybe after rebooting the decoder.

Trying to remain reasonably polite here but I'm seriously annoyed with all this, it's a joke that these errors are still going on after so long. Will they actually be resolved before the Explora 1s are retired from service?

Jan Horn 2017-10-26 22:26

Its been nice and quiet with what seem to be the problem solved for almost month of no " this is a PVR" error message and then 3 in a row during the recording of NCIS:New Orleans to night. @ Mc when will this be sorted out. Its been going on for a Looooong time now.

Geoff D 2017-10-27 07:33

I have lost faith in MC completely. There is no resolve anywhere visible that anyone in MC cares about their customer base anymore. It should be a relatively simple task to set up a simple spreadsheet with a list of service authentication commands and columns for the decoders and establish which commands each decoder type can handle properly.
That should then inform their service authentication people of what they can and can't do.

What incentive is there for any customer currently being treated like a piece of dirt on his existing decoder to have the assurance that his new decoder will not suffer from some or other similar problem?

It is absolutely shameful for a company the size of MC to be so inward focussed .

I attended a conference yesterday where a CEO said in public that no internal process would ever deviate him from keeping the customer at the top.
Maybe MCs senior people should all take a long hard look at what is driving them and if they can't accept that their customer base is paramount, they should cash in and leave.

Jan Horn 2017-10-27 08:27

It seem to me that most of these problem like "this is a PVR" and some of the chronic reboots are authentication related in some way. Surely MC can schedule the authentication process to random times between 01:00 and 05:00 (off peak) where it would be just as effective in eliminating any unauthorized viewing. MC is paranoid in ensuring that only legitimate customers are using their services but in the process inconvenience those that are loyal and through their support ensure that they are kept in business.
I have been following the "unwanted reboots" thread with some interest. It annoy me that I followed the advice given to me at the time during the HD 2P saga to ditch the 2P and switch to an Explora. So now I sit with an Explora periodically mess up a scheduled recording and then try to record it at a later stage creating a recording conflict in my recording schedule.
I fully endorse what Geoff is saying regarding the customer should be kept on top after all the customer is paying your salary. Without customers there will not be a MC.

Geoff D 2017-10-27 09:46

Certainly on the UEC HD PVR 4T and the SD PVT, MC is hell bent on doing these checks every 6 hours just after midnight, at 06:00 in the morning, then again at Midday, and then again at 18:00.

IF the process fails, the affected decoder will have a string of reboots thereafter for many minutes until either MC stops sending the messages or the decoder simply clears its storage buffers. The only way to short circuit this nonsense is as soon as the reboot strikes, is to power down the decoder, wait a few minutes and then reboot. This forces the buffers to be cleared BUT sometimes also means decoder defaults are restored and you have to go and work through the customizations.

MC Marietjie 2017-10-27 09:57

Folks security checks happen several times an hour on all decoders, and are necessary contractually with our content providers. It is not something that can be scheduled for only certain times of the day - it defeats he purpose of preventing piracy.
It is only at certain times that these older decoders cannot cope with these requests, which then causes a reboot. That is why these decoders were placed in end of Support 3 years ago.

Jan Horn 2017-10-27 10:05

So what is causing the 102 this is an PVR error message and how and when will it be resolved.

MC Marietjie 2017-10-27 10:10

@Jan this is a different error, and will be resolved with the next software release going in the next few days.

Jan Horn 2017-10-27 10:21

It now that far from November already.:mad:

Geoff D 2017-10-27 11:09

[QUOTE=MC Marietjie;367698]Folks security checks happen several times an hour on all decoders, and are necessary contractually with our content providers. It is not something that can be scheduled for only certain times of the day - it defeats he purpose of preventing piracy.
It is only at certain times that these older decoders cannot cope with these requests, which then causes a reboot. That is why these decoders were placed in end of Support 3 years ago.[/QUOTE]

This is precisely what I was referring to. An inward perceived requirement that your suppliers are imposing on you that IS destroying the customer experience.

Nothing else matters. IF these checks numerous times a day are okay for all the decoders, what is so special about the 6-hourly actions going on? What makes them necessary at all? What happens then that the older decoders can't ride the storm? Too many simultaneous checks being done at the same time or one after the other?

None of MCs arguments hold water! The internal processes should be structured in such a way that ALL the decoders still in operation out there are able to handle the process Nothing else is acceptable to your customer base.

Clearly I have struck the nail spot on! MC does not care about its customer base and is totally inward focused.

RyanDavid 2017-10-27 11:35

[QUOTE=MC Marietjie;367698]Folks security checks happen several times an hour on all decoders, and are necessary contractually with our content providers. It is not something that can be scheduled for only certain times of the day - it defeats he purpose of preventing piracy.
It is only at certain times that these older decoders cannot cope with these requests, which then causes a reboot. That is why these decoders were placed in end of Support 3 years ago.[/QUOTE]

The Explora1 also appears to struggle with these checks, is that also classed as an "older decoder" already? I've written before about the freezes/blackscreen, followed by "checking decoder status" message. When watching a recording sometimes one is kicked out of it and then greeted with "This is a PVR" error - forcing a reboot.

Recently after the authentication check freeze I was then greeted with a "disk is full" error, even though the disk is only half full. Reboot.

All my friends report similar, varied issues since this new authentication system went in. Clearly it is poorly coded and buggy, and passing the buck on to contractual requirements doesn't wash when you are ruining the viewing experience for us, your paying customers.

I'm not trying to shoot the messenger here as I really appreciate you interacting with us on the forums, but please, please understand that this is very frustrating - and becoming more so. Whoever works on your software, whether internal or an external consultancy, needs to have their performance reviewed and if necessary you guys need to invest in more skilled people. Surely these ongoing (and apparently worsening, looking at the current "watch button" farce) problems can't continue like this. :(

hilt_ctn 2017-10-27 11:57

[QUOTE=MC Marietjie;367698]

This has to be the single worst justification for rubbish service that I've ever seen :mad:. It's outright insulting. You'll happily take the customers money but not provide the service they pay for ? For shame MC. For shame.

Would you be happy if say Ford or VW had the same attitude toward your car ? I doubt it

Geoff D 2017-10-27 12:24

Conveniently us poor owners of UEC and SD PVRs are told it is our problem. Then we have PACE 4 tuners and 2 tuner decoders being told that "they are working on a solution". And now those with Explora 1's the so-called modular decoder also having the same issues, all related in one form or another to "authentication checks".

So it is a sliding scale.

The sooner the UEC and the SD PVR dies the better for MC, then they can re-classify the Pace 4 tuner and 2P accordingly. And keep the process going only supporting the newest decoder.

But hiding in their cupboard are the thousands of 1131, 1132, 1110 decoders in commercial premises that are still there! Can't upset the commercial customer base! After all they are probably also major shareholders in NASPERS. But the ordinary bums in the street? Who cares about them?

RyanDavid 2017-11-07 15:50

Had more fun and games with the authentication checks and "this is a pvr" error recently. Last Sat night, shortly before midnight, I started watching 'La Porta Rossa' on my PVR (Explora1) which was about halfway through recording. After a bit I got the dreaded freeze - black screen - "checking viewing status" sequence, when this finally finished I was thrown out of the episode I was watching.

Tried to resume playing, got the "this is a pvr" error. Didn't want to reboot just yet as I was hoping the recording was still going, so waited for that to finish. Noticed that a bunch of channels were missing, eg I had nothing between 100 and 108 plus many others missing. When the recording finished I rebooted and checked the recording, sure enough it had an exclamation mark and a section was missing.

Today I had another authentication check freeze, afterwards the (Dolby Digital) sound on the channel I was watching was very, very low. A reboot fixed it. Pretty worrying that there are so many different errors resulting from this process.

Again, whatever these authentication checks involve, whether it's something processor-intensive like extra decryption or whatever else, the decoders can't handle it and still operate normally. Please sort it out, surely this is unacceptable and should have been picked up during testing. Our decoders were bought about 18 months ago, yet using them sometimes feels like an endless battle against new software problems.

MC Marietjie 2017-11-07 16:07

@RyanDavid - this issue was fixed in the latest software update for Exploras which was sent between 1-3 Nov. Pls check you have the latest version of the software - details in a thread under PVR section of this Forum

RyanDavid 2017-11-07 16:23

Checked last week that I had the latest (L79) software version, which fortunately fixed the "watch button" bug (thks). But it definitely did not fix the problems with the authentication checks or eradicate "this is a pvr" errors going by my experience.

Jan Horn 2017-11-07 16:54

@MC Marietjie are you sure that the software update fixed the "this is a PVR" problem.

I got a PM form MC Sandipa on 1 November saying

"Our Technical team have asked me to contact you so we can further investigate the "loss of PVR functionality" issue that you had reported.

We think we have a patch that may fix the issue and would be interested in sending you a new version of the smartcard if you don't already have the latest version.

If you would like to assist, please send me your smartcard number and i'll provide feedback soonest.

Thanks "

I did Reply to the PM but have had no feedback yet.

The timing of the PM I received suggest that the problem have not been addressed by the latest software release.

Jan Horn 2017-11-07 16:57

@MC Marietjie are you sure that the software update fixed the "this is a PVR" problem.

I got a PM form MC Sandipa on 1 November saying

"Our Technical team have asked me to contact you so we can further investigate the "loss of PVR functionality" issue that you had reported.

We think we have a patch that may fix the issue and would be interested in sending you a new version of the smartcard if you don't already have the latest version.

If you would like to assist, please send me your smartcard number and i'll provide feedback soonest.

Thanks "

I did Reply to the PM but have had no feedback yet.

The timing of the PM I received suggest that the problem have not been addressed by the latest software release.

RyanDavid 2017-11-07 16:57

Yes, I got the same pm. I think our smartcards are pretty new versions, but I responded with the numbers anyway. I also followed-up with another pm explaining what happened on Sat night when I had the next "this is a pvr" error.

Haven't heard anything further on those pms.

Jan Horn 2017-11-07 17:03

The same here I have a ver 7 smartcard Explora 2 only 7 months old.

I see for some reason my post was duplicated . Tried deleting the duplicate but it did not work.

Krugie 2017-11-07 17:28

[QUOTE=Jan Horn;369035]Tried deleting the duplicate but it did not work.[/QUOTE]

Delete is a bit tricky. :) After clicking on Delete you again need to tick the Delete This Message under Deletion Options, enter a Reason for Deletion and then again click on Delete This Message.

caneman 2017-11-07 17:32

I got the PM as well from MC Sandipa and replied,not heard anything more.

Jan Horn 2017-11-07 18:20

[QUOTE=Krugie;369038]Delete is a bit tricky. :) After clicking on Delete you again need to tick the Delete This Message under Deletion Options, enter a Reason for Deletion and then again click on Delete This Message.[/QUOTE]

Krugie that is how I did it twice and now tried again. It still refuse to go. Whatever caused it to duplicate is perhaps blocking the delete.

MC Marietjie 2017-11-07 19:14

Folks there is a fix for this which is why she contacted you. Pls be patient - she has been on sick leave and will respond to you.

Geoff D 2017-11-08 13:55

Hi all who are having these issues. Could you please see what the error message is for recordings with an alert triangle is please?

The loss of channels can only be because the tuner/s used for recordings were somehow either switched off completely or at least experienced a power cut.

Whether MC wants to acknowledge it or not, something in the authentication process is interrupting the power feeds to the tuners involved in the processes. The more I think about this the more it makes sense that the error is the same across ALL the decoders.

RyanDavid 2017-11-08 14:13

Hi Geoff
Unfortunately my decoder has managed to replace the episode in question (remember because I checked it while the new recording was in progress and chuckled as the decoder stated the current recording was being recorded "tomorrow", just another bug for the pile) but I'll check next time. I don't record that much so not sure if/when I'll catch it next.

There was the alert indicating an error/incomplete recording and when I went into the recording the status bar at the top of the screen indicated a missing section, when watching it seamlessly jumped from the middle of one scene to the next. Interruption wasn't too long though.

Jan Horn 2017-11-08 16:41

Like with RyanDavid the decoder has rerecorded all those recordings involved but I will post as soon as it happen again.

Jan Horn 2017-11-20 23:01

This PVR error again this evening at around 22:36. A recording of The Handmaid's Tale was in progress. I will see if I can get the information when the recording is complete.

Jan Horn 2017-11-20 23:08

Can someone please tell me how to retrieve the error massage Geoff requires.

Optimist 2017-11-21 06:43

There's often no message at all. It would be part of the recording's synopsis in the Playlist or sometimes logged in the Schedules' Failed Recordings tab.

Jan Horn 2017-11-21 08:02

Nothing in failed recordings or the playlist. I noticed that lately the triangle is replaced with a circle with an exclamation mark inside which intimate that some information regarding the incident is available.

Jan Horn 2017-11-23 08:15

Just a reminder that after several months this problem still has not been resolved.

To refresh you memory below a summary of what has been said by MC

[QUOTE=MC Marietjie;340195]We're hoping for the software update to go next week - will only be able to let you know on Tuesday.[/QUOTE]

By Mc Marietjue on 13 April

By MC Marietjie on 19 April

Thanks,
Mpho

By MC Mpho on 17 August

By MC SAndipa on 17 August

[QUOTE=MC Sandipa;363321]Hi All

A software fix for this was rolled out as communicated but a broadcast configuration still needs to be completed. This is in testing now. As soon as we have a confirmed date, i will let you all know.

Ta[/QUOTE]

By MC Saandipa on 26 September

[QUOTE=MC Marietjie;367710]@Jan this is a different error, and will be resolved with the next software release going in the next few days.[/QUOTE]
By MC Marietjie on 27 October
[QUOTE=MC Marietjie;369017]@RyanDavid - this issue was fixed in the latest software update for Exploras which was sent between 1-3 Nov. Pls check you have the latest version of the software - details in a thread under PVR section of this Forum[/QUOTE]

By MC Marietjie on 7 November

[QUOTE=MC Marietjie;369059]Folks there is a fix for this which is why she contacted you. Pls be patient - she has been on sick leave and will respond to you.[/QUOTE]

By MC Marietjie on 7 November

MC Marietjie 2017-11-23 13:06

I have asked Sandipa to respond to you on here. Apologies for the delay.

Jan Horn 2017-11-27 10:05

I notice from MC Sandipa's profile that she has not logged onto the forum since the 9th of November. Maybe she is still off sick.
The Explora now also periodically display a pop up "Checking Smart card" Apart from being very annoying also cause recording errors.

hilt_ctn 2017-11-27 13:08

Sounds more like the usual silent treatment because they still can't fix the problem after several months

MC Marietjie 2017-11-27 13:53

Not at all, have asked the guys to answer on behalf of Broadcast Technology in Sandipa's absence.

MC Sandipa 2017-11-27 14:27

Sorry for the delay - We are engaging with the project team directly for a definite reply and ill revert.

Thanks

Jan Horn 2017-11-28 10:52

Another "this is a pvr" message followed by directly there after by "checking smart card" last night

caneman 2017-11-29 20:35

[QUOTE=Jan Horn;370799]I notice from MC Sandipa's profile that she has not logged onto the forum since the 9th of November. Maybe she is still off sick.
The Explora now also periodically display a pop up "Checking Smart card" Apart from being very annoying also cause recording errors.[/QUOTE]

I had this "Checking Smart card" tonight at ±18:45 while watching a film on CatchUp :mad:

Jan Horn 2017-11-30 08:31

Well if you read all the comments by the mods the fix for the problem has been around for some time now but it seem that nobody at MC care enough to implement it.

hilt_ctn 2017-11-30 09:22

My personal feeling is that there is no fix because they can't actually find the problem. How many months have they been saying the fix rollout is imminent ? C'mon

Geoff D 2017-11-30 09:32

[QUOTE=hilt_ctn;371405]My personal feeling is that there is no fix because they can't actually find the problem. How many months have they been saying the fix rollout is imminent ? C'mon[/QUOTE]

I don't agree. MC knows what the problem is and even has a fix, BUT to implement it will break their strategy to try and force all with older decoders to replace them ....

:mad::mad:

The strategy is to irritate users until they replace or leave.

hilt_ctn 2017-12-01 07:52

Reading MC's comments ( or lack thereof ) on this thread, I'm reminded of Depeche Mode's " Enjoy the Silence "

MC Marietjie 2017-12-01 09:08

Folks in Sandipa's absence, spoke to the team. This issue has been escalated to Irdeto - they are currently testing a fix. Unfortunately they cannot confirm when they will release this to us. We will keep you updated.

Jan Horn 2017-12-06 07:06

1 Attachment(s)
@Marietjie If the software update that was rolled out yesterday contained the fix for this problem it did not work because the error window containing the message popped up twice again yesterday. See my screenshot.

MC Marietjie 2017-12-06 07:37

@janhorn as per my message on Friday, they are still testing a fix. This means yesterday’s update did not have a fix in it.

Apologies for the continued frustrations.

RyanDavid 2017-12-11 10:06

I'm also still getting this. Last night was watching a movie, but had paused for a while so was about 20 mins behind live. Around 11:45pm the decoder gave the dreaded "checking status" message, when it finished I had been thrown out of my timeshifted version and was now 20 minutes ahead of where I had been. Trying to pause or rewind resulted in the "This is a PVR" message, and I didn't want to change channels and risk losing the ability to rewind at all, so sat and waited until eventually I could rewind back to where I was. When I did, found a strange glitch right around the time when the status check happened, a bit of an ad from one of the SS channels I think.

What is the point of having decoders with functions like timeshifting when your own authentication checks cripple them in this way? This has gone on for a long time now, surely this has to become a top priority to sort out as there is clearly something very wrong with the authentication system as currently implemented and the decoders can't handle it while still operating properly, which is ruining our viewing experience. And this incident can't be blamed on me for running 'outdated' hardware unless the Exploras we bought last May are already obsolete.

Please sort this out now!

Geoff D 2017-12-11 17:41

You might have told us before but I presume the decoder you have is an Explora 2A? Connected to a LMX 501 SLNB?

RyanDavid 2017-12-11 17:52

Sorry forgot to specify this time, Explora1.

Geoff D 2017-12-11 20:41

And connected to the LMX 501 SLNB? 3 Unicable ports with one legacy?

RyanDavid 2017-12-12 09:49

[QUOTE=Geoff D;372837]And connected to the LMX 501 SLNB? 3 Unicable ports with one legacy?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I didn't make a note of the model when they upgraded our installation last year, only know it's a Smart LNB - that we had to get at the time as our old LNB for our SD-PVR apparently wasn't suited to our new setup.

Optimist 2017-12-12 10:17

[QUOTE=RyanDavid;372927]...only know it's a Smart LNB - that we had to get at the time as our old LNB for our SD-PVR apparently wasn't suited to our new setup.[/QUOTE]

Did your SD PVR continue getting used after your SLNB was installed?
If so you have the older LMX 500 model.

The only other thing you can do to check is go to the SLNB and see how many ports it has.
Perhaps Geoff's working on a theory, or maybe it's just curiosity.

RyanDavid 2017-12-12 11:02

No, we got one of our Exploras by trading in our SD PVR. Thought I had all the details from the installation somewhere but can't track it down right now, but these problems do seem to be affecting a range of people with different decoders and installations.

Jan Horn 2017-12-12 13:08

I agree with RyanDavid. The problem affects different installation combinations. My sett up as can be seen from my signature is Explora 2A primary HD PVR 2P secondary 80cm Dish with a LMX501 SLNB. If I may add the dish is perfectly aligned with 100% signal strength and 100% signal quality on both horizontal and vertical polarized channels. all channels

Al cables and the dish are new and installed when the Explora and SLNB was installed.

What I have noted is the problem mainly occur when you are watching either a recording or from the buffer and when you are recording something else at the time. Also sometime when you are watching and recording the same show. The later could be a perception because we are doing that a lot so we can fast forward through the add breaks.

Optimist 2017-12-12 13:19

As mentioned I don't know if Geoff has a working theory. I had none, but your usage pattern is an interesting possibility now Jan.

(And if anything I would say your LNB part of both your setups is now determined to be either very similar or the same, but again, we may be theorising about something no-one is investigating ;):cool:)

Geoff D 2017-12-12 13:48

Viewing a recording that is still in progress at the time you start viewing it has always been a bit of an issue, never really explained by MC or anyone else.
BUT now, there are these inexplicable things happening with error messages popping up when the authentication process kicks in.

Another thing you could please check, is what is being recorded at the time of the error message showing up. Something on a Horizontal channel by any chance? Is the recording on a channel that is on one of the transponders on the new satellite? Or are you viewing a channel that is on one of the transponders on the new satellite at the time when the error message pops up?

@RyanDavid, It is relatively easy to check which SLNB you have.

The LMX 500 has 4 + 2 = 6 ports. -- this one draws quite a lot of power.
The LMC 501 has 4 ports. -- This one draws less power.

Optimist 2017-12-12 13:57

[QUOTE=Geoff D;373038]Another thing you could please check, is what is being recorded at the time of the error message showing up. Something on a Horizontal channel by any chance? Is the recording on a channel that is on one of the transponders on the new satellite? Or are you viewing a channel that is on one of the transponders on the new satellite at the time when the error message pops up?[/QUOTE]

Here's a list to help those interested to do so;

[B]Older IS20 satellite;[/B]

10970 V[COLOR=silver]....[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [B]SD 138[/B], SD 144, 154, 176, 189, SD 200, SD 206, SD 207, 262, 401, 402, 451, 452[COLOR=#c0c0c0].... [/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=blue]858, 870, 876[/COLOR]
[COLOR=purple]10970 H[/COLOR][COLOR=#c0c0c0]....[/COLOR][COLOR=black] 118, SD 119, SD 125, 126, 131, SD 170, 183, SD 186, 310, 407, 507[/COLOR]
11010 V[COLOR=#c0c0c0]....[/COLOR][COLOR=black] 100, 191, 192, 193, 319, 404[COLOR=#c0c0c0].... [/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=blue]857[/COLOR][COLOR=#c0c0c0]..[/COLOR]
[COLOR=purple]11010 H[/COLOR][COLOR=#c0c0c0]....[/COLOR][COLOR=black] 129, 178, [B]342[/B], 430, 431, 435, 446, 453, 455[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][COLOR=purple][B]11050 V[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#c0c0c0].....[/COLOR][COLOR=black]HD 112, HD 117, HD 119, HD 121, HD 123, HD 125, HD 184, HD 186[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#c0c0c0].... [/COLOR][COLOR=red]DVB-S2[/COLOR]
[COLOR=purple]11050 H[/COLOR][COLOR=#c0c0c0]....[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [B]114[/B], SD 120, 135, 136, 168, 171, 174, SD 184, 305, 306, 308, 450, 457[/COLOR]
[COLOR=purple]11090 V[/COLOR][COLOR=#c0c0c0]....[/COLOR][COLOR=black] 127, 130, 137, 179, 301, 303, 304, 307, 309, 322, 323, 400, 411, 454[COLOR=#c0c0c0].... [/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=blue]850, 851, 852[/COLOR]
[COLOR=purple]11090 H[/COLOR][COLOR=#c0c0c0]....[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [B]SD 108[/B], SD 112, SD 117, SD 121, 122, SD 123, 124, 128, 141, SD 175, SD 325, 326, 508[/COLOR]
11130 V[COLOR=#c0c0c0]....[/COLOR][COLOR=black] SD 110, SD 111, 190, SD 194, SD 203, 239, 327, 408, [COLOR=teal]980[/COLOR][COLOR=#c0c0c0].... [/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=blue]751 to 790 (DMX)[/COLOR]
11130 H[COLOR=#c0c0c0]....[/COLOR][COLOR=black] HD 101 [COLOR=red](DVB-S)[/COLOR], 180, 182, SD 204, 251, 331, 403, 406, [/COLOR][B][COLOR=silver]470[/COLOR][/B]
11170 H[COLOR=#c0c0c0]....[/COLOR][COLOR=black] 165, 167, HD 202 [COLOR=red](DVB-S)[/COLOR], 209, 210, 212, [B]311[/B], 410[COLOR=#c0c0c0].... [/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=blue]826, 875, 878, 879, 880, 884, 887[/COLOR]
11474 H[COLOR=#c0c0c0]....[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [B]SD 140[/B], SD 147, 152, [B]196[/B], 341, 347, 409, 413, 447, 515, 517[COLOR=#c0c0c0].... [/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=blue]866, 869, 871, 885, 888, 889[/COLOR]
11514 H[COLOR=#c0c0c0]....[/COLOR][COLOR=black] HD 103, HD 115, HD 199, [B]HD 200[/B], HD 205, HD 206, [B]HD 208[/B], [B]HD 211[/B], [B]HD 900[/B][COLOR=#c0c0c0]....[/COLOR][COLOR=red]DVB-S2[/COLOR][/COLOR]
11554 V[COLOR=#c0c0c0]....[/COLOR][COLOR=black] HD 104, [B][COLOR=#ff8c00]HD 109[/COLOR][/B], HD 110, HD 144, HD 201, HD 203, HD 204, [B][COLOR=darkorange]HD 213[/COLOR][/B], [B][COLOR=darkorange]HD 330[/COLOR][/B], HD 901[COLOR=#c0c0c0]....[/COLOR][COLOR=red]DVB-S2[/COLOR][/COLOR]
11554 H[COLOR=#c0c0c0]....[/COLOR][COLOR=black] HD 105, HD 106, HD 147, HD 161, HD 194, HD 207[COLOR=#c0c0c0].... [/COLOR][COLOR=red]DVB-S2[/COLOR][/COLOR]
11594 V[COLOR=#c0c0c0]....[/COLOR][COLOR=black] SD 101, SD 104, [B][COLOR=darkorange]SD 109[/COLOR][/B], SD 115, SD 161, [COLOR=gray](196)[/COLOR], SD 199, SD 201, SD 202, SD 205, [COLOR=darkorange][B]SD 213[/B][/COLOR], [B]235[/B], SD 320, 456[COLOR=#c0c0c0].... [/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=blue]859, 861, 872[/COLOR]
11594 H[COLOR=#c0c0c0]....[/COLOR][COLOR=black] SD 105, SD 106, 146, 153, [B]SD 195[/B], [B]SD 240[/B], 260, 261, 265, 321, 340, SD 901[COLOR=#c0c0c0].... [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]801 to 819[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]11634 V[/COLOR][COLOR=#c0c0c0]....[COLOR=black] SD 116, 132, 156, 164, 181, 197, SD 198, 263, 302, [COLOR=darkorange][B]SD 330[/B][/COLOR], 412, 437[COLOR=#c0c0c0].... [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=blue]835, 853, 854, 855, 856, 860, 865, 867, 868, 882[/COLOR][COLOR=#c0c0c0].[/COLOR]
11674 H[COLOR=#c0c0c0]....[/COLOR][COLOR=black] SD 103, SD 139, SD 145, SD 163, 166, SD 208, [B]SD 211[/B], 343, 390, 405, [B]SD 900[/B][COLOR=#c0c0c0].... [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]820 to 823, 825[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][B]Newer IS36 satellite;[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][COLOR=purple][B]11728 V[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#c0c0c0]....[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [B]HD 108[/B], [B]HD 120[/B], [COLOR=darkred][COLOR=black]HD 170[/COLOR][COLOR=black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]HD 175, HD 325[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=darkred][COLOR=#c0c0c0]....[/COLOR][COLOR=red]DVB-S2[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#808080]...[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]11808 V[/COLOR][COLOR=#c0c0c0]....[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [COLOR=darkred][COLOR=black]HD 111, HD 116, HD 145, HD 163, [B]HD 198[/B], [B]HD 240[/B], [B]HD 320[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#8b0000][COLOR=#c0c0c0]....[/COLOR][COLOR=red]DVB-S2[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][B]11848 V[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#c0c0c0]....[/COLOR][COLOR=black][B]HD 138[/B],[B] HD 139, HD 140[/B],[B] HD 195[/B][COLOR=#c0c0c0]....[/COLOR][COLOR=red][B]DVB-S2[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#808080][COLOR=#c0c0c0][COLOR=black][COLOR=black]([/COLOR]11888 V[COLOR=#c0c0c0]....[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=teal][B]981[/B][COLOR=black])[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Jan Horn 2017-12-12 15:00

Recordings are easy. 99% of our recordings are on channel 101 and 5 of the 6 incidents I reported on in this thread involved recordings of channel 101. the other one was during a recording of the F1 grand prix on channel 206 also horizontal polarized. I seem to remember 1 instance of a recording of Rosewood which would have been on HD117 also Horizontal polarized.

All of these were on horizontal polarized channels but I would not attach any significance to that because our recording pattern does not include many vertical polarized channels. We did record some material (die Boek Klub) on channel 144 which is vertical and there may have been an recording error there but I cannot vouch for that.

I cannot think of a single instance were the error message popped up watching anything live.
That does not mean that it does not happen during live watching.
A few recordings when we were not at home did end up with the usual error icon and were subsequently re recorded by the decoder.

Again these error may have been because of another unelated problem or it may have been due to this problem. The 2A does reset it selve and resume recording without outside help.

The irritation is mainly that it will kick you out of the recording you are watching. Watchin from the buffer you are likely to loose some of the material in the buffer, with a recording it is the irritation of having to start from the beginning of the recording and then to search through the recording to find where the spot where you were kicked out.

Optimist 2017-12-12 15:30

[QUOTE=Jan Horn;373068]I seem to remember 1 instance of a recording of Rosewood which would have been on HD117 also Horizontal polarized.[/QUOTE]

A correction, just for clarity - 117 HD is Vertical, and I physically checked to make sure that hasn't changed.

Jan Horn 2017-12-12 15:44

You are correct Brian. My mistake I had a look for it on your list above some how slipped up apologies. It is indeed vertical polarized .

Optimist 2017-12-12 16:15

No worries Jan, just to keep us all on the same page.

For others using it, my list is probably 95 to 100% ok as they don't shift channels that often, but double check in the decoder's menu. Will try update anything wrong soon.

EDIT:
[QUOTE=Optimist;373095]Will try update anything wrong soon.[/QUOTE]

Nothing was wrong.

RyanDavid 2018-01-02 14:53

Still happening. Was watching something today, paused it and went to another room, came back to find I had been kicked out of what I was watching and got the "This is a PVR" error when I tried to get back to where I was. Guess there was a viewing status check, as usual. The channel was (HD)203 which I had paused.

hilt_ctn 2018-01-03 08:29

It's been another month and not a word from MC. Classy

RyanDavid 2018-01-09 18:48

Just had an authentication check which froze my picture for a few minutes then put up the "checking viewing status" message, while I was watching Sky Sports News (on Blitz / 200HD), now I have no EPG apart from 100 Dish. If I push 'i' to bring up the i-Plate it seems to think I am on channel 100, even though I am still on 200. Guess yet another reboot is in order.

As stated before, this is on an Explora 1. Beyond a joke now, get some competent coders in to sort out this process so our decoders can still function.

MC Sandipa 2018-01-10 13:32

Hi All

I sincerely apologise for the frustration this is causing. This is still in testing. I have asked the tech lead to give me an urgent update and will let you know once i have it.

Thanks

RyanDavid 2018-01-10 13:44

Thanks for the update

MC Sandipa 2018-01-12 10:54

Hi All

The tech team have confirmed that this is receiving the highest attention. As soon as a fix is confirmed, they will let us know when it will be released.

Thanks

Jan Horn 2018-01-12 13:06

So let me see if I can make sense of what is happening regarding this problem
Apart from the numerous fixes and software updates that were reported rolled out to fix this none worked thus far. The current status is that no fix so far has been found and that it is still where we started off .
RyanDavid started this thread on April 12 2017 but prior to this date there were a few threads regarding the same problem dating far back.
On December 1 2017 Marietjie posted
[QUOTE=MC Marietjie;371579]Folks in Sandipa's absence, spoke to the team. This issue has been escalated to Irdeto - they are currently testing a fix. Unfortunately they cannot confirm when they will release this to us. We will keep you updated.[/QUOTE]
It seem that the fix irdeto were testing did not work out as MC Sandipa now reports
[QUOTE=MC Sandipa;375681]Hi All
The tech team have confirmed that this is receiving the highest attention. As soon as a fix is confirmed, they will let us know when it will be released.
Thanks[/QUOTE]

My conclusion is that there is no fix yet . MC still have no clue as to what to do the solve the problem.

hilt_ctn 2018-01-12 13:29

[QUOTE=Jan Horn;375690]My conclusion is that there is no fix yet . MC still have no clue as to what to do the solve the problem.[/QUOTE]

From November

[QUOTE=hilt_ctn;371405]My personal feeling is that there is no fix because they can't actually find the problem. How many months have they been saying the fix rollout is imminent ? C'mon[/QUOTE]

Yippers. This is still in the wind

gudnews 2018-01-15 20:49

Just experienced this for the first time whilst watching a recording. Had decoder for about a month.

AndrewD 2018-01-17 13:22

I had to exchange Explorers a couple of weeks ago and had never had this issue before. Now at least once a week while watching a recording the message "the smartcard" coms up. This is accompanied by the decoder going back to live TV. When I try to go back into the recoding I get the "this is a PVR, if you would like to upgrade ..." message. It then takes a minute or two until you can again go into the recordings.

Is this the same issue ??

Optimist 2018-01-17 13:25

[QUOTE=AndrewD;376383]Is this the same issue ??[/QUOTE]

Yep.
Also had it again this week, just as you describe.

MC Sandipa 2018-01-18 14:17

Hi Optimist - i have confirmation that it is in testing at present - this is a rigorous testing process to make sure that nothing else gets affected. Ill keep you posted on a timeline for implementation. Really sorry for the inconvenience.
Thanks