Forum

Forum (http://forum.dstv.com/index.php)
-   Broadcast Errors (http://forum.dstv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Channels scheduling mistakes (http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=39246)

Optimist 2017-06-29 09:08

Channels scheduling mistakes

Continuing with this issue in its own thread...

This morning's repeat of this week's Graham Norton show on ch. 120.
Scheduled from 00:20 to 01:11
Started 4 min. late, ended 3 min. 15 secs. late.

(Info based on the Explora 1 recording's Status Bar markings.)

MC Sergio 2017-06-29 10:38

[QUOTE=Optimist;352305]Continuing with this issue in its own thread...

This morning's repeat of this week's Graham Norton show on ch. 120.
Scheduled from 00:20 to 01:11
Started 4 min. late, ended 3 min. 15 secs. late.

(Info based on the Explora 1 recording's Status Bar markings.)[/QUOTE]

Hi, Optimist,

We've checked the latest times provided by the channel and it was 00:20. We've escalated the issue to the BBC team to see what happened with the late start.

Optimist 2017-06-29 10:44

Thanks Sergio.

I know you people are trying hard, the recent bug aside IMHO things have vastly improved with the EPG in the last couple of years. This thread is to try show just how much is missed, if I and others have the time and interest to invest in it.

MC Sergio 2017-06-30 07:08

[QUOTE=Optimist;352338]Thanks Sergio.

I know you people are trying hard, the recent bug aside IMHO things have vastly improved with the EPG in the last couple of years. This thread is to try show just how much is missed, if I and others have the time and interest to invest in it.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Optimist.

We have received a response from the BBC regarding this specific incident. Here it is below:

In common with other broadcasters, our programmes may sometimes begin slightly earlier or later than their scheduled time. This flexibility allows us to plan for slight differences in running times or unexpected changes elsewhere in the schedule. However, our aim is to begin all programmes no more than one minute earlier or three minutes later than their stated start time.

In this particular case, the start time for The Graham Norton Show was amended from 00:20 to 00:25, but unfortunately this was not reflected in our most recent schedule update, for which we apologise. We have raised this with the relevant teams here at BBC Worldwide Channels, who will work to ensure that future schedule changes are fully communicated.

Optimist 2017-06-30 07:43

Thanks Sergio.

I must dispute BBC's response...

Shortly before seeing the post I decided to check the recording's content.
The previous program, [I]Mrs. Brown's Boys[/I], ended on time.
Then, at that time of the morning, all these ads were played out (would be unusually lengthy and many for the channel even during prime time);
BBC Lifestyle ad - 30 secs.
DStv ad - 30 secs.
What's on DStv channels ad - 45 secs.
DStv ad - 1 min. 5 secs.
SuperSport ad - 10 secs.
BBC Brit ad - 27 secs.
BBC Lifestyle ad - 30 secs.
BBC Brit ad - 10 secs.

My conclusive opinion: automation preparation error or failure

Full automation is a myth, an (empowered) human consciousness always needs to be in charge at least as a backup.

Optimist 2017-07-12 10:12

The scheduling on this one is not date & time related but still uncertain.

On 108 next Wed. @ 20:30 is the mini-series(?) called "Above And Beyond".

It's been called a mini-series in the theme part of the synopsis, and it's been made a SBR, but there's no episode number and the description is general and not episode specific.

It's a day or so too early to check the Wed. after on the online guide. (A typical problem, wish they would give it the extra day asked for so many times.)
There is what is scheduled as a repeat (of E01?) the next morning @ 11:40.

So if not a mini-series please correct, or set it up properly.
TIA

MC Sergio 2017-07-12 10:43

[QUOTE=Optimist;353793]The scheduling on this one is not date & time related but still uncertain.

On 108 next Wed. @ 20:30 is the mini-series(?) called "Above And Beyond".

It's been called a mini-series in the theme part of the synopsis, and it's been made a SBR, but there's no episode number and the description is general and not episode specific.

It's a day or so too early to check the Wed. after on the online guide. (A typical problem, wish they would give it the extra day asked for so many times.)
There is what is scheduled as a repeat (of E01?) the next morning @ 11:40.

So if not a mini-series please correct, or set it up properly.
TIA[/QUOTE]

Hi, Optimist,

Thanks for this. We've asked the team to investigate the issue.

Optimist 2017-07-13 11:41

Thanks Sergio. Here's some follow-up.

The Wed. night premiere has been corrected, not a mini-series and the SBR option was removed.

The Thurs. morning repeat has not been corrected and it's the one I need.
The software doesn't recognise it as a repeat of the corrected one yet, not going to force the issue as setting things right on an already corrected item is better.

MC Sergio 2017-07-13 12:03

Hi, Optimist,

I've asked the scheduler to investigate this urgently.

MC Sergio 2017-07-13 12:11

Hi, Optimist,

I've received the following feedback from the scheduler:

The title was initially automatically linked to the wrong dictionary entry that labelled it as a miniseries. It has since been corrected, and labelled as a documentary movie. Which is correct according to the information supplied by the channel as well as IMDB, please see the link below.

[url]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2704752/[/url]

The one the customer is referring to is the 2006 mini-series of the same title.

[url]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478834/[/url]

I have updated the year to avoid confusion, as it seems the channel supplied the wrong year for the title. I will escalate this to them and ask them to rectify it in the meantime.

Optimist 2017-07-20 10:04

Hi Sergio, unfortunately I've only just seen your last reply now as the forum didn't indicate that it was a new post for some reason.

The year was not changed.
I changed my plans and successfully recorded last night's premiere.
This morning's "repeat" @ 11:40 was not corrected in any way - same SBR structure, same different dictionary as it still didn't register as a repeat before recording last night, same 2006 year.

As the feedback from your scheduler didn't make entire sense, I'm manually recording this morning's broadcast in case this is now the other show which is a mini series made in another year.
I will compare the beginnings and post further later.

This thread has become quite interesting, but it sure is a worry how much can go wrong and I'm left wondering how it may be possible to set up adequate prevention measures for some of it.
I sure don't envy your job, thanks for the efforts :cool:

[QUOTE=MC Sergio;353982]Hi, Optimist,

I've received the following feedback from the scheduler:

The title was initially automatically linked to the wrong dictionary entry that labelled it as a miniseries. It has since been corrected, and labelled as a documentary movie. Which is correct according to the information supplied by the channel as well as IMDB, please see the link below.

[URL]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2704752/[/URL]

The one the customer is referring to is the 2006 mini-series of the same title.

[URL]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478834/[/URL]

I have updated the year to avoid confusion, as it seems the channel supplied the wrong year for the title. I will escalate this to them and ask them to rectify it in the meantime.[/QUOTE]

Optimist 2017-07-20 11:47

Yep, both broadcasts were the same doccie movie.

So now the new mystery - why your scheduler was able to make sense of it, at least to a large degree, but how no further corrections managed to be made anyway :confused:
(Not that we need further details IMO.)

Optimist 2017-08-09 07:54

Ch. 121 is currently repeating S1 (and then S2) of the series [I]Impossible Engineering[/I], started yesterday afternoon @ 14:30. All of the weekdays episodes are scheduled to start at that time.
We're recording it on our Explora 1.

S1E1 - Failure re content captured.
According to what was later calculated with the successfully manually recorded repeat this morning - yesterday's current-cycle premiere of S1E1 somehow both started and ended about 22 minutes earlier than advertised on the scheduling.
As such my first attempt lost the first 11 odd minutes (my start safety net managed to get the rest of the too early content).
The early morning repeat ran exactly on time.

As a precaution I'm manually recording this afternoon's E2 "premiere" with more than half an hour added to both ends.

MC Trisan 2017-08-15 10:29

[QUOTE=Optimist;356952]Ch. 121 is currently repeating S1 (and then S2) of the series [I]Impossible Engineering[/I], started yesterday afternoon @ 14:30. All of the weekdays episodes are scheduled to start at that time.
We're recording it on our Explora 1.

S1E1 - Failure re content captured.
According to what was later calculated with the successfully manually recorded repeat this morning - yesterday's current-cycle premiere of S1E1 somehow both started and ended about 22 minutes earlier than advertised on the scheduling.
As such my first attempt lost the first 11 odd minutes (my start safety net managed to get the rest of the too early content).
The early morning repeat ran exactly on time.

As a precaution I'm manually recording this afternoon's E2 "premiere" with more than half an hour added to both ends.[/QUOTE]

Hello

I've set a recording for today's episode and I'll let you know what we see. It may have been a late start to the programme yesterday.

Optimist 2017-08-15 10:51

Hi Trisan,

No, that happened a week ago, not yesterday - in my post "yesterday" refers to the day before the date I posted it.

Thanks, but haven't seen any further major problems.

MC Trisan 2017-08-15 10:51

[QUOTE=Optimist;357831]Hi Trisan,

No, that happened a week ago, not yesterday - in my post "yesterday" refers to the day before the date I posted it.

Thanks, but haven't seen any further major problems.[/QUOTE]

I see, thanks for confirming.

Optimist 2017-09-05 09:20

[B]108 [I]The Nymphets[/I][/B]

When I first looked at an EPG entry for this film weeks ago it was a full length movie, and is indeed again this Sunday 10/09 from 03:15 to 04:30.

So then why has the channel also got it slotted as a short film tomorrow 06/09 from 14:25 to 14:40 ??

They are one and the same, using the Other-Airings feature on either entry displays the other.

MC Sergio 2017-09-05 09:26

[QUOTE=Optimist;360255][B]108 [I]The Nymphets[/I][/B]

When I first looked at an EPG entry for this film weeks ago it was a full length movie, and is indeed again this Sunday 10/09 from 03:15 to 04:30.

So then why has the channel also got it slotted as a short film tomorrow 06/09 from 14:25 to 14:40 ??

They are one and the same, using the Other-Airings feature on either entry displays the other.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for raising this, Optimist. This does indeed look like something is off. I've asked the scheduler to raise this with Sundance.

Optimist 2017-09-05 11:36

Thanks Sergio, looking forward to the response ;)

---------

I think this thread has been an interesting experiment, more of the less-realised and strange error variety from the channels than expected, and has perhaps even ended up entertaining :D

But I know MC prefers that incidents are kept in individual threads, and as no-one else got involved I'll likely make this my last post.