Forum

Forum (http://forum.dstv.com/index.php)
-   PVR Decoders (http://forum.dstv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   DSTV Explora - Very disappointed (http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=38895)

mbeylis 2017-06-05 08:46

DSTV Explora - Very disappointed

Just over 2 years ago I opted for the DSTV Pricelock option and got the first model DSTV Explora as part of the deal

2 years down the line now and my 3rd Xplora has just broken

The 1st one the HDMI and Ethernet port stopped working after a couple of months. This was then replaced with a refurbished model which worked fine for a couple of months and then the same thing happened. After this I was given a new one which lasted a bit longer until yesterday when the same thing happened. The HDMI port went on this one too

From my point of view I dont think very highly of the quality of this decoder. I never had a single days hassle with my old Dual View or HD PVR 4. I have surge protectors etc connected to all my equipement so they are protected

In principle now I refuse to spend another R700 bucks to get a refurbished Xplora which will just break a couple of months later

I would really appreciate it if someone from Multichoice would contact me to make alternative arrangements and sort this out

Thank You

MC Marietjie 2017-06-05 08:54

Please can you send your details though to MC Lindi on Private Message, then she can arrange for someone to speak to you.

Optimist 2017-06-05 09:05

This is not a commonly reported fault on the forum to any degree, and the fact that it's happened three times suggests there may well be something else wrong. I suspect you could have a faulty TV that's damaging the Explora, or similar.

mbeylis 2017-06-05 09:43

Each time decoder was replaced I used a difdifferent hdmi port on the TV. Also the TV used to be used with HD4PVR and it never had any hassles or faults

Optimist 2017-06-05 09:58

Which port doesn't say that the TV isn't faulty, it could affect all ports. The Explora is considered more sensitive although I wouldn't know in this respect, and the fault could have developed later.
Either way, something to consider and look into.

Geoff D 2017-06-05 11:09

[QUOTE=mbeylis;348447]Each time decoder was replaced I used a difdifferent hdmi port on the TV. Also the TV used to be used with HD4PVR and it never had any hassles or faults[/QUOTE]

How does the HDMI cabling run? Is it in the same duct as any other cables?

Is the TV and the decoder fed form the same power socket or two different sockets maybe even on different circuit breakers?

mbeylis 2017-06-05 11:34

HDMI cable is loose, connected between Xplora and TV

Have now had to connect the RCA cables to get picture again

TV and Xplora powered by same Multi-plug

mbeylis 2017-06-06 08:19

[QUOTE=Optimist;348456]Which port doesn't say that the TV isn't faulty, it could affect all ports. The Explora is considered more sensitive although I wouldn't know in this respect, and the fault could have developed later.
Either way, something to consider and look into.[/QUOTE]

Wouldnt explain though why the HDPVR4 which is connect to same TV to another of the HDMI ports has never given a days hassle

And I have switched the HDPVR4 and Explora on all the HDMI ports on the TV at various points

Each time the HDMI port on the Explora would go I would immediately test the Explora on the HDMI port that the HDPVR4 was using to see if it was the port ( as I knew the port to which the HDPVR4 was connected was working but it would for the Explora). I would then also test the HDPVR4 on the port the Explora was connected to and it worked fine

I am now sitting at home with 2 Explora with the same fault where the HDMI port and Ethernet port no longer work. Everything else on the Explora's seem fine (tested via RCA video connection)

Optimist 2017-06-06 08:42

You're not getting my point, but let's not worry about further detail. It is merely a possibility, for instance there could be faulty voltages from the TV that the Explora is more sensitive to, posted to try help you to consider that there could be a problem elsewhere. Doesn't otherwise matter if I'm wrong or right.

EDIT: I wonder who one should go to if wanting to test all of this, any ideas Geoff?
Maybe MC are able to assist as part of their investigation.

mbeylis 2017-06-06 08:54

[QUOTE=Optimist;348636]You're not getting my point, but let's not worry about further detail. It is merely a possibility, for instance there could be faulty voltages that the Explora is more sensitive to, posted to try help you to consider that there could be a problem elsewhere. Doesn't otherwise matter if I'm wrong or right.[/QUOTE]

Hi

I appreciate the suggestions and I do get what you are saying. Its just that there is nothing funny with my setup and the TV itself is no more than 2 years old itself ( doesnt mean it cant be faulty agreed)

Anyway Multichoice have indicated that they will send someone out to assess my setup rather than just replacing the Explora and it happens again after a few months

Optimist 2017-06-06 08:58

Great.
BTW, I edited my post just before you posted - looks like we're all having similar thoughts ;-)

Please let us know if anything further happens or becomes certain.

chrisvdh 2017-06-06 09:10

You say Ethernet port as well? Three times?

Must be a common source for this problem. Some form of spike is occurring and Geoff mentioning power is the first place I would look...an arcing plug is more likely than three faulty or "soft" Exploras.

Geoff D 2017-06-06 09:39

There have been quite a few cases before on the older decoders where a voltage potential between decoders and TVs have been found, even when connected to the same power socket.

I would check for:

(1) arcing on the multiplug
(2) replace the multiplug with a surge protected one such as sold by Clearline for home entertainment systems.
(3) Use a multimeter to see if there is a potential difference between decoders and TV chassis when any connecting cables are disconnected.
(4) Try and always connect 2 pin power plugs the same way round with the Live and neutral always the same for all devices.

Do you experience any other major surges on the power feeds to other appliances?

mbeylis 2017-06-07 12:56

[QUOTE=MC Marietjie;348414]Please can you send your details though to MC Lindi on Private Message, then she can arrange for someone to speak to you.[/QUOTE]

Good Day

Is there any feedback on my issue?

Roger from multichoice was at my house yesterday to test the equipment

Thanks
Mark

MC Marietjie 2017-06-07 12:57

We have not yet received any feedback - will ask Lindi to follow up

mbeylis 2017-06-08 09:09

[QUOTE=MC Marietjie;348981]We have not yet received any feedback - will ask Lindi to follow up[/QUOTE]

Hi

Any news?

I did PM her but no reply

Thanks
Mark

mbeylis 2017-06-12 07:38

Good Morning

Still no feedback as to what the way forward is

Please can I get some feedback

Thanks
Mark

mbeylis 2017-06-12 12:39

[QUOTE=Geoff D;348675]There have been quite a few cases before on the older decoders where a voltage potential between decoders and TVs have been found, even when connected to the same power socket.

I would check for:

(1) arcing on the multiplug
(2) replace the multiplug with a surge protected one such as sold by Clearline for home entertainment systems.
(3) Use a multimeter to see if there is a potential difference between decoders and TV chassis when any connecting cables are disconnected.
(4) Try and always connect 2 pin power plugs the same way round with the Live and neutral always the same for all devices.

Do you experience any other major surges on the power feeds to other appliances?[/QUOTE]

In a nutshell

Both Decoders (HDPVR4 and Explora) are connected directly to USB ports on TV
Both Decoders (HDPVR4 and Explora) are plugged into same multiplug which has built in power surge protection
This multiplug interm is plugged into an additional power surge plug protector (which I used to protect my phone line)
HDPVR never given me a days hassle. Explora failed 3 times now

Geoff D 2017-06-12 12:54

Sorry I can't be of further help here. I will be checking my daughter's installation again this week some time and will check for the following on the SLNB.

Any signs of water ingress.
Will check for stray earth currents that may be flowing via the SLNB.

MC Lindi 2017-06-13 09:28

Hi mbeylis

I've been keeping you updated via Private Messages - I apologise that you don't seem to be receiving my messages. I'll look into that urgently.

I escalated your query to the Field Services team on Monday last week - who then sent out a technician to do trouble shooting.

I've also arranged for a customer care rep to contact you with feedback. His name is Tebogo. After his call with you Tebogo has arranged to have Decoder Support collect your decoder for testing at our lab in Randburg.

We're also struggling to pick up your previous 3 decoder swaps. I understand this was done through your insurance. Please could you (via Private Message) send me the dates of the previous decoder swaps. The team is trying to figure out what DStv agency your insurance has been using to swap your decoders as each decoder has a unique smartcard number.

Thank you for your patience as we're trying to resolve this.

mbeylis 2017-06-13 09:48

Good Day MC Lindi

I have sent you a PM now

Awaiting feedback from Teboga this morning

Thanks
Mark

MC Lindi 2017-06-13 09:54

I've received your message, thank you. Please send me as much information as you can - serial numbers would be very helpful.

mbeylis 2017-06-13 10:21

I was wondering

I am sure I read somewhere that you can now transfer the content from one explora to another but only once

But I cant seem to find the press release or thread which stated this

Is this correct though and what are limitations?

mbeylis 2017-06-13 10:23

ok found the thread

[url]http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=38254[/url]

mbeylis 2017-06-14 13:25

Thank you Multichoice for sorting out my problem and especially to Thebo for keeping me updated. Awesome customer service

mbeylis 2017-06-19 08:25

So my excitement was short lived

Apparently the decoder I was given was not a new decoder as originally indicated but rather a refurbished one

Set it up on Friday afternoon and it immediately started making an all to familiar sound to me - mechanical failure on the hard drive

This was further confirmed when I tried to record anything and kept getting the error message "hard drive failed"

This is really annoying and frustrating to me. This is really a huge inconveniene to have to keep going back to the multichoice centre on a regular basis. Is there a misconception that I like doing this? NO. All I want is DSTV Decoder that works without hassles and clearly the Explora models are not able to do this just judging by the number of decoders being brought in the service centre

I do not want a refurbished Decoder. There is clearly a reason it was needing to be refurbished in the first place and yes it might work for a couple of months and then break and then I am left with the same fight and hassle again to get it replaced

Counting the Decoder given to me Friday this in now the 4th one

I kindly request that I be given a NEW Explora as promised to me over the phone by the multichoice agent

Please would someone from multichoice contact me in this regard

Optimist 2017-06-19 08:39

Terrible experience :(

If you maybe do want to try get it working in the meantime, here's a procedure that is known to best help, even if you can't get into the menus - worked for me and I've never looked back since.

FP = Front Panel

[QUOTE=MC Fathima;205064]Press and hold the standby key, the decoder will reboot. Then press the P+ immediately, until CODE is displayed

Then Press the below key combination. 0101 will be displayed on the FP when these keys are pressed.

P- P+ P- P+ for HDD format(0101)
then once again P+ (1) to confirm
you will see "hddf" in front panel display[/QUOTE]

mbeylis 2017-06-19 08:50

The Decoder itself works in that I am able to watch TV

Non of the extra features though like pause, rewind, record etc are working

I dont want to risk getting an obviosly faulty HDD working only for it to crash with all my recordings at a later stage

What I want is simple, well at least I thought it was : a working Decoder

Luke7777 2017-06-19 08:59

On DCC you will always get a refurbished one
[QUOTE][FONT=sans-serif][SIZE=3]In the event of a mechanical or electrical fault, we will replace your Approved Decoder at your [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=sans-serif][SIZE=3]nearest MultiChoice service centre, with a refurbished Approved Decoder on a like [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=sans-serif][SIZE=3]for [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=sans-serif][SIZE=3]like basis [/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

MC Marietjie 2017-06-19 09:01

This could be to do with your account and whether the Access Fee is activated correctly. And not with the decode at all.
Pls log in to your account in My DStv online or on the DStv Now app and check if there is an Access Fee against your account and an Explora decoder with the smartcard number of the current one.

mbeylis 2017-06-19 09:02

Approved by Who?

'Cause I am tired of the Decoder Round Robin that I am having to play. 4 Explora Decoders in 2 years whereas prior to the Explora not one hassle with other models

Optimist 2017-06-19 09:06

[QUOTE=MC Marietjie;350847]This could be to do with your account and whether the Access Fee is activated correctly. And not with the decode at all.
Pls log in to your account in My DStv online or on the DStv Now app and check if there is an Access Fee against your account and an Explora decoder with the smartcard number of the current one.[/QUOTE]

Normally a possibility, but I don't think so in this case;

[QUOTE=mbeylis;350814]...Set it up on Friday afternoon and it immediately started making an all to familiar sound to me - mechanical failure on the hard drive

This was further confirmed when I tried to record anything and kept getting the error message "hard drive failed"...[/QUOTE]

mbeylis 2017-06-19 09:11

[QUOTE=MC Marietjie;350847]This could be to do with your account and whether the Access Fee is activated correctly. And not with the decode at all.
Pls log in to your account in My DStv online or on the DStv Now app and check if there is an Access Fee against your account and an Explora decoder with the smartcard number of the current one.[/QUOTE]

With all due respect the terrible sound being made by the hard drive as well as the "Hard Drive Fail" Error displayed by the explora has nothing to do with the Access Fee

Luke7777 2017-06-19 09:22

Everytime I've swopped out a decoder or had something fixed, they made sure everything was working prior to me leaving, including testing recording. I assume this wasn't done in your case ?

MC Marietjie 2017-06-19 09:23

Pls let me know where you got this refurbished decoder - from which branch or agency? And I need your contact details pls - MC Lindi is not around today, so I can't get your details from her. Pls post your telephone number and account number here, and I will delete it as soon as I get it. My PMs are not activated.

MC Marietjie 2017-06-19 11:09

Thanks got your details - am escalating this to senior execs. Will be in touch.

mbeylis 2017-06-19 11:17

[QUOTE=MC Marietjie;350901]Thanks got your details - am escalating this to senior execs. Will be in touch.[/QUOTE]

Thank you

I am not trying to be difficult. All I want is to have a device that works

As mentioned previously, prior to the Explora I never had a days hassle with any of the previous models. Since the Explora I have had nothing but hassles

HDMI ports blowing
Constant freezing and having to reboot
Hard Drive Failure

MC Marietjie 2017-06-19 11:18

I just looked at your signature - have you got a Twin LNB operating your Explora and your 4-tuner?

mbeylis 2017-06-19 11:22

[QUOTE=MC Marietjie;350910]I just looked at your signature - have you got a Twin LNB operating your Explora and your 4-tuner?[/QUOTE]

Hi

No, need to update my signature, that is old

Currently have a Smart LNB and no longer use the 4-tuner as its not compatable with the new 2nd extra-view which I am in the process of setting up

MC Marietjie 2017-06-19 11:24

Oh ok, thanks for confirming as your Explora would never have worked with a twin LNB. Am chatting to the relevant execs to see what can be done.

MC Marietjie 2017-06-19 14:18

Just to close this loop for everyone else following this thread - we are sending out our field services with a replacement decoder tomorrow to double check everything and install the replacement decoder.

mbeylis 2017-06-21 08:30

Good Day

Thank you to all from Multichoice who have assisted me in resolving my Explora Issue

Thanks to MC Marietjie and MC Lindi as well as Tebogo and Roger

Roger from multichoice was at my house yesterday to install the replacement decoder

Initial signs indicate that everything seems to be working. Lets hope it stays this way

The hard drive is not making funny sounds and there are no hard drive error messages
Recordings appear to be working
Pausing and Rewinding is working
Still waiting for Box Office and Catchup to finish downloading to confirm this is fine
HDMI is working
Still need to test Ethernet Port

Thanks
Mark

mbeylis 2017-06-21 08:31

I do have a question regarding the relaying of remote signals but I will start another thread for this

beetle bailey 2017-06-21 11:35

I am curious as you say you've had numerous swap outs and all ended up giving you problems in the past? Now MC staff come, replace the decoder and all SEEMS to now be working fine?

This, to me, says one of two things. One they found something which was wrong with your set up or the settings on your decoder or two a very poor state of affairs when it comes to how the refurbished decoders have been repaired?

Can you give any explanation of why this latest decoder is working fine, and hopefully it continues to do so, while numerous others all failed?

mbeylis 2017-06-21 12:05

[QUOTE=beetle bailey;351360]I am curious as you say you've had numerous swap outs and all ended up giving you problems in the past? Now MC staff come, replace the decoder and all SEEMS to now be working fine?

This, to me, says one of two things. One they found something which was wrong with your set up or the settings on your decoder or two a very poor state of affairs when it comes to how the refurbished decoders have been repaired?

Can you give any explanation of why this latest decoder is working fine, and hopefully it continues to do so, while numerous others all failed?[/QUOTE]

Well the technician from multichoice found no problems with my setup although I am not sure as to the level of testing in terms of testing things with mulimeters etc but in terms of all cabling and devices used (eg splitters) this was all fine

With regards to the Explora's my problems were as such
[LIST][*]Original New Explora Model 1 - Electrical Damage - HDMI and Ethernet ports broken[*]Insurance Replaced Decoder ( not sure if new or refurbished) - HDMI port broke after couple months (+/- 3 months)[*]Insurance re-replaced Decoder (was told this time it was new) - HDMI port broke after some months (+/- 7 months)[*]Decoder I received from multichoice last week which was refurbished - Hard Drive physical failure Day 1[*]Current Decoder from multichoice which is said to be new is currently working fine[/LIST]As for the quality of the refurbishments I would not be able to say. If the insurance were replacing with refurbished and multichoice with refurbished then all my problems have been with refurbished models

Luke7777 2017-06-21 15:35

HDMI is a funny thing... can be anything from the cable not well supported and 'hanging' in the port, to spikes (not sure what to call it) when cables are plugged in and out with power on. No moving parts like the HDD , so not much that can go wrong there...