Forum

Forum (http://forum.dstv.com/index.php)
-   PVR Decoders (http://forum.dstv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   UNWANTED SD PVR REBOOT (http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=37245)

Geoff D 2017-02-15 20:44

UNWANTED SD PVR REBOOT

:mad:

At 18:00 today, my SD PVR rebooted and then failed to complete its boot cycle. I had to restart the reboot myself, which took a very very long time to complete. And then the chaos with the EPG, especially for the FTA channels had to be seen to be believed! :mad: Even the SABC last night apologised on the Afrikaans news for the mess that the SABC EPG was in!

Congratulations MC. If the plan is to annoy us SD PVR hangers on you are succeeding. BUT if you think that is going to make us jump ship think again! :mad:

ShaunB 2017-02-15 21:23

I also had to do multiple reboots earlier tonight.

*sigh*

MC Mpho 2017-02-16 14:46

Hi All,

It looks like there were issues with the TV Guide for SD PVR.
We are checking with our technical monitoring team.

Regards,
MC Mpho

Aadil 2017-02-20 02:30

Conspiracy theory. I think DSTV is forcing reboots on the SD PVR to get people to upgrade

Optimist 2017-02-20 08:49

Not impossible, but I don't think so in this case - a few of us had been monitoring what's going on and we were being affected at different times, plus some noticeable work / corrections have been going on which I presume is EPG related from MC Mpho's post.

What bothers me is why these less than immediate efforts must happen on the subscriber base... :(

MC Marietjie 2017-02-20 11:42

[QUOTE=Aadil;331593]Conspiracy theory. I think DSTV is forcing reboots on the SD PVR to get people to upgrade[/QUOTE]

Definitely not!

Remember that these decoders first came out when we had a handful of channels - now we have well over 100 plus a number of other services running. So the simple truth is these decoders are older technology - it's like expecting an old 230MB laptop to run Windows XP and then complaining about intermittent issues.

Geoff D 2017-02-20 11:58

[QUOTE=MC Marietjie;331692]Definitely not!

Remember that these decoders first came out when we had a handful of channels - now we have well over 100 plus a number of other services running. So the simple truth is these decoders are older technology - it's like expecting an old 230MB laptop to run Windows XP and then complaining about intermittent issues.[/QUOTE]

Not a good analogy. A properly configured laptop (regardless of its memory capability) can work with any of the new OS's provided one eliminates the "junk" sw.

This issue arises just about exclusively because of the continued (unnecessary in my opinion)tampering with the authentication system for the SD PVR and the very poor EPG support we now get. The decoder itself is a solid design.

MC Marietjie 2017-02-20 12:33

Pls keep in mind that the authentication is critical to have in place due to our contracts with content providers. We have to illustrate that we are actively managing security on our network as this is a key concern for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geoff D 2017-02-20 20:49

More crazy issues with the EPG on the SD PVR this afternoon. Fortunately, it did not trigger a reboot. Problem lasted for about 3 hours after which all returned to normal again.

Geoff D 2017-02-20 21:50

And another one. This time on the UEC 4 tuner. The EPG is frozen showing 3 days back iso 8 days forward

lordpiet 2017-02-21 06:27

[QUOTE=Geoff D;331950]And another one. This time on the UEC 4 tuner. The EPG is frozen showing 3 days back iso 8 days forward[/QUOTE]

Strange, at about the same time I was watching a recording on my 2P when playback stopped as if it was paused, although it was not paused. After I managed the get out of the playback screen, it was black screens on all the channels, even those not part of the Extra package without any error message. Eventually it rebooted and after that about every 15 or 20 minutes. The reboots stopped after a hard reboot.

Luke7777 2017-02-21 07:43

[QUOTE=MC Marietjie;331740]Pls keep in mind that the authentication is critical to have in place due to our contracts with content providers. We have to illustrate that we are actively managing security on our network as this is a key concern for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]Then I suppose it is equally critical not to disrupt or interfere with the viewing experience of the consumer :)

Optimist 2017-02-21 09:59

[QUOTE=Luke7777;331971]equally[/QUOTE]

More so IMO, the customer is the reason the service can exist.

Geoff D 2017-07-10 10:45

So the peace with inexplicable reboots on the SDPVR, came to an abrupt end this past weekend!

Started on Friday night round about 18:00. 5-6 reboots per 24 hours over the weekend mostly at the most inopportune moments. Always associated with a EPG update display on the screen! :mad:

MC Mpho 2017-07-10 13:23

Hi GeoffD,

The Infield Support team is looking into this issue. I'll feedback as soon as there is a response.

Regards,
Mpho

MC Mpho 2017-07-10 14:50

Hi again GeoffD,

Feedback from Infield Support:-

It is likely that the SDPVR Guide Data size has grown again. They have escalated further to the Headend team to see if they are able to reduce the guide data by one day.

Regards,

MC Mpho

MC Mpho 2017-07-11 08:09

Our Headend department has reduced they guide data to 6 days basic and 3 days extended info.
Let's see how it goes this weekend.

Glock26 2017-07-15 19:13

Multiple reboots again right now...as soon as it comes back, it reboots again.
You realize you aren't annoying us enough to change to the Explora, right? Just enough to ditch DSTV completely and go with streaming 24/7

Glock26 2017-07-15 19:38

4th time in an hour!
It is playing perfectly fine, and then just suddenly reboots.
My exact thoughts are best left unwritten right now... :mad::mad::mad:

Zango 2017-07-16 20:35

MC still switches the SD PVR on an off at their whim while the account is paid up on a stop order. My SD PVR switched off 3 times in 2 hours this afternoon. I have spoken to Luis this at MC call centre who refused to call his manager and dropped my call. Where is the broadcast commission at this stage. They need to investigate this matter. My PVR cost me R3800-00 years back, that would be R10 000-00 worth in today's value. I did not invent the decoder but bought it from MC via outlets. Why should I suffer if I do not want their HD thing ... 2 years it will change again(how many new models were introduced after mine). My SD PVR offers 2 channels and both can access recordings. MC has no facility like that. I have been paying damage isuarance on this unit for all the years .... now what.

DPA1 2017-07-16 21:56

Can confirm multiple reboots the past few weeks on my SDPVR, and previously relatively stable. Last weekend and this weekend on Saturday between 18:00 and 19:30 when the Bachelorette recorded, 2 reboots each time, and I had to reset to record on Sunday. Somethings up.

An old issue is when a recording stops, the machine will reboot sometimes, but I learned to accept this. But the recent reboots happens whenever.

DPA1 2017-07-16 21:59

[QUOTE=Glock26;354144]4th time in an hour!
It is playing perfectly fine, and then just suddenly reboots.
My exact thoughts are best left unwritten right now... :mad::mad::mad:[/QUOTE]

Same time as mine it seems. I am sure Multichoice might have stats on machines rebooting, and should act when number very high. Software?

DPA1 2017-07-16 22:04

And there mine goes again 3000 code. other times mostly 816d, but this for a few years now. 16 Jul 22:02. Also went off earlier tonight 18:03

Geoff D 2017-07-17 09:29

Can confirm all the reboots reported!. Most annoying!

And it is NOT faulty SD PVRs or installation related either.

It seems now standard practice, that between 18:00 and 19:00 every evening ([B]Prime viewing time in most households[/B]), that EPG update will trigger the reboot of the SD PVR.

Last night it happened 3 times in quick succession during this period.

This morning the SD PVR rebooted again just before 06:00.
MC has to do something about the continual fiddling with the EPG data stream for the SD PVRs. Already it has to be a special stream for the SD PVR. So structure the stream to suit the SD PVR and get it over with.

Optimist 2017-07-17 10:46

Same reboot issues with mine and another friend's.

[QUOTE=Geoff D;354225]So structure the stream to suit the SD PVR and get it over with.[/QUOTE]

Maybe the answer is to get rid of the All Channels & My Channels EPG sections on the SD PVRs, rather let people use the EPG by genre choice alone with each one loading fresh. A bit of a delay nuisance with any extensive EPG usage, but we may actually gain back some extra days this way.
Thoughts?

Geoff D 2017-07-18 13:44

The chaos continues! :mad:

Full reboots and scans now seem to happen at the following time every single day!

Between 06:00 and 07:30
Then again just after 13:00
and then again between 18:00 and 19:00 at night,
and between 23:30 and midnight!

This is becoming really irritating! And completely unnecessary.:mad:

Optimist 2017-07-18 13:53

Also happened here just after 15:00 yesterday.

As for the EPG theory, I'm now calling it a theory as what has actually changed to make it top heavy again? - the last channels changes were quite a few days before this latest spate of reboots started, and appear to have changed little re EPG volume anyway. And didn't an EPG day just get subtracted a few days ago??

Dashprod 2017-07-18 14:48

Joined the forum just to confirm getting the same issues every day. I usually wake at about 5am with a reboot that has stuck, and have ot do a manual reboot. Then when I am showering at about 7:00 there is another one...and more in the evenings. Many of them do not complete and I have to manually reboot by pressing the 2 buttons. Otherwise they hang.
I am beyond frustrated with this, and with needing the 2 PVR environments, I am not changing to an Expora since it would cost me too much, never mind the nightmare of feeding them to 6 tv's across the house and the additional expense.
Even with a care contract that would replace with 1 Expora, I would need to buy an additional one..something I am not prepared to do.
Paid for 2017 in advance, and looking to submit for a refund if I have to give up on DSTV

bothafire 2017-07-18 16:30

[QUOTE=Geoff D;331059]:mad:

At 18:00 today, my SD PVR rebooted and then failed to complete its boot cycle. I had to restart the reboot myself, which took a very very long time to complete. And then the chaos with the EPG, especially for the FTA channels had to be seen to be believed! :mad: Even the SABC last night apologised on the Afrikaans news for the mess that the SABC EPG was in!

Congratulations MC. If the plan is to annoy us SD PVR hangers on you are succeeding. BUT if you think that is going to make us jump ship think again! :mad:[/QUOTE]

Mine from the 14th when DSTV phoned about changing to Explora every time they phone and are rejected suddenly after weeks of hardly a reboot 2 to 3 reboots occur every day. I suppose they will say coincidence I am currently sitting through another reboot second for today.

Glock26 2017-07-18 20:31

Few reboots today, and another one right now.
Takes about 10 minutes to rescan.
MC is conspicuously silent in this thread.

beetle bailey 2017-07-19 11:36

If anyone here is using the interactive sport, weather and news apps and experiencing these reboots then STOP using them with immediate effect. They were the cause of my numerous reboots.

Not saying this is the same problem but just may be of assistance to one or two of you. This was ocurring with both my 2U and 2P decoders.

Dashprod 2017-07-19 12:19

Nope, do not use any of those services at all. Just regular viewing.

MC Mpho 2017-07-19 13:06

Dear All,
Please see below info from the Infield Support team:

3000 Abort:
This relates to a memory failure.

816D Abort:
When the decoder freezes up or stops responding for a period of time, the software watchdog will reboot the decoder with this abort code.

The EEPROM memory on the SDPVR is only guaranteed for 1000000 writes. After 1000000 writes have been processed the device is not guaranteed to work. From that point, random failures are expected resulting in issues like memory corruption, loss of settings, box lockup or random reboots. Once the memory device fails it needs to be replaced.

If the EEPROM memory fails, it could explain why the decoder is showing both of these abort codes.

Optimist 2017-07-19 14:37

Feedback appreciated but there's hardly a chance that such an EEPROM type failure is affecting so many people all at once, and in my case the unit was not in use for many years as it was a spare. Something changed on MC's side has to be triggering it.

I was a little bit hopeful as for the first time since Saturday there hasn't been a reboot here or at my friend since last night, maybe something altered and not widely known about has been changed back again now?
I will post as soon as another reboot happens if it does.

MC Mpho 2017-07-19 14:54

That feedback for the abort code 3000 was specifically for the one customer "DPA1".

We are not expecting this error code on the other SDPVR decoders. But it won't be surprising if a few customers are experiencing such failures as most of these decoders are more than 10 years old.

We just need clarity on the error code displaying on their decoders when the reboots happen.

Optimist 2017-07-19 15:28

Thanks for clearing that up Mpho.

In my case I've seen both errors, one or the other when I've been present for the reboots, so unfortunately re the fault-finding it's not just triggered by age. Most recent ones were "3000" and I think the last one was "816d". Don't know re my friend.

Geoff D 2017-07-19 17:42

[QUOTE=MC Mpho;354615]Dear All,
Please see below info from the Infield Support team:

3000 Abort:
This relates to a memory failure.

816D Abort:
When the decoder freezes up or stops responding for a period of time, the software watchdog will reboot the decoder with this abort code.

The EEPROM memory on the SDPVR is only guaranteed for 1000000 writes. After 1000000 writes have been processed the device is not guaranteed to work. From that point, random failures are expected resulting in issues like memory corruption, loss of settings, box lockup or random reboots. Once the memory device fails it needs to be replaced.

If the EEPROM memory fails, it could explain why the decoder is showing both of these abort codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

The SD PVR currently in service is 10 years old physically, but less than one year in service.

My old one exceeded that figure I am sure. The final failure code was 816D and it turned out to be a mother board failure. Mined the memory for use in another SD PVR .... :p

bothafire 2017-07-20 19:27

SDPVR reboots

DSTV comparison of computers being old and not performing people are still operating on Windows XP and Windows 7 even though Windows 10 is now the norm. amazingly these operating systems were the choice of the customer because Windows went in the wrong direction with Windows 8 and only partially corrected this with Windows 10. Customer choice not supplier enforcement your subscribers are satisfied with SDPVR functionality not with Explora. These 100's of channels most probably most people only use about 30 of them and some of those are poor quality viewing or low interest. Listen to your subscribers.

Optimist 2017-07-21 08:25

Can't agree. I've got an Explora & SD PVR and prefer the Explora, though the SD PVR still has much to offer re its sharing design. Hardware on older PCs won't necessarily compare to older decoders which have more specific tasks and unavoidable newer stresses.
As for the channels, long ago it was explained that there's many different interest groups in our region that are being catered to, it's unlikely that any particular one group will find value in more than a few dozen of the channels of their choice.
But agree that MC needs to listen to their customers more, some of these changes they've made have turned out counter-productive.

Re the reboots - had the first one since it stopped @ 20:08 last night, f/p not seen at the time.
Their was very sluggish performance on the unit about an hour before.
Nothing further since.
I don't plan to feedback more, MC should have enough clues about the nature of this by now.

DPA1 2017-07-22 19:09

Thanks for error code keys. My 816d comes for years now, some periods not rebooting for weeks and then suddenly the reboots are starting. So as suggested by other members previously, maybe rather a software problem. Tonight as usual on the past few Saturdays, it is rebooting after 18:00, now the 2nd time (19:00).

(I have given up a few years back swapping my SDPVR wasting a few hours every time in the queues, since the problems are just coming back. Now I just wait it out and the problems come and go.)

Glock26 2017-07-22 19:12

Repeated reboots now...again.
Both error codes. This is getting ridiculous, and being experienced on most of the SDPVR users who post here. You claim that it is suddenly our decoders and not your software? Have you NOTICED we are all posting the same reboot times???!!!
If this continues, I will consider my decoder broken, and because of my care contract paid a year in advance will expect a swap out to put me back in the same position I am now. That means that I can watch 2 and PVR 2 at the same time. That is what is expected. So I would expect 2 decoders to get me where I am now.

DPA1 2017-07-22 19:42

I know they will not do it. But what if I can choose the few channels we watch and configure the PVR for these 20-30 only. Of course still paying for all the channels. But to let this work, enough capacity.

Krugie 2017-07-22 20:00

[QUOTE=Glock26;355017] I can watch 2 and PVR 2 at the same time[/QUOTE]

It's watch 2 and record a 3rd isn't it? You can set recordings from both environments but not 2 recordings at the same time.

Krugie 2017-07-22 20:02

[QUOTE=DPA1;355020]I know they will not do it. But what if I can choose the few channels we watch and configure the PVR for these 20-30 only. Of course still paying for all the channels. But to let this work, enough capacity.[/QUOTE]

I think the issue is that there is no further software development on the SD PVR and this would almost certainly require a software change. Future prospects are looking a bit bleak...

Glock26 2017-07-23 16:23

[QUOTE=Krugie;355023]It's watch 2 and record a 3rd isn't it? You can set recordings from both environments but not 2 recordings at the same time.[/QUOTE]
What I mean is be able to pause/continue on both channels.
I don't care about recording. I need to be able to pause, rewind, fast forward on both channels.
Don't care about recording a second channel. But the Explora won't allow me to pause/resume on both channels, will it? Unless I fork out for a second one and pay the huge extra additional installation costs to 6 tv's.

Glock26 2017-07-23 17:03

17:00 on the dot, and there go the reboots again.
Is MC still going to ignore this?

DPA1 2017-07-23 23:35

Yes, mine went of at about 17:40. Radio Kosmos playing (876) and Life below zero on BBC Earth recording. Two interruptions on recording so probably also went off at 17:00

DPA1 2017-07-23 23:45

MC, is this covered by the Decoder care insurance? Not that I want to swap for as long as it is still working.

**"The EEPROM memory on the SDPVR is only guaranteed for 1000000 writes. After 1000000 writes have been processed the device is not guaranteed to work. From that point, random failures are expected resulting in issues like memory corruption, loss of settings, box lockup or random reboots. Once the memory device fails it needs to be replaced.

If the EEPROM memory fails, it could explain why the decoder is showing both of these abort codes."**

DPA1 2017-07-29 19:02

And there as usual on Saturday, SDPVR rebooted at 19:00. Could not see the codes.

DPA1 2017-07-29 19:38

And another reboot now at 19:38.

Geoff D 2017-08-03 23:57

Another one this evening at 18:30! :mad:

DPA1 2017-08-04 22:21

Eventually managed to tape Bachelorette this afternoon, 3rd time lucky, no reboots during the recording.

DPA1 2017-08-05 18:34

18:32 Saturday, as usual, the now usual reboot. Nothing recording now, touched the remote not for at least since the rugby started.

DPA1 2017-08-05 18:55

18.54, there it goes again.

DPA1 2017-08-07 18:16

Sunday, three times between 17:30 and 19:30.

Today Monday - all day working from home, listening to channel 876, no reboot. But 18:05 reboot, still on 876, no other activity.

DPA1 2017-08-09 18:15

Today, watching since 10, while busy on PC, . Rebooted now first time 18:12. Talking to myself.

Glock26 2017-08-09 18:20

Rebooting now... about 18:16
Seems a lot of us are having them at the same time. Too many for it to be random, or our hardware.
And they still continue to ignore us...

DPA1 2017-08-09 18:37

18:36 rebooted again, but while watching recorded Game of thrones.

Glock26 2017-08-09 18:38

Yes..mine just rebooted again.
I think I am going to have to take this to the media, since posting here is doing F all.

Glock26 2017-08-10 18:55

3 Reboots in the past 25 minutes. Almost the same times as yesterday.

Edit to add: Make that SIX reboots in an hour.
The contempt you show your customers is truly staggering.

MC Mpho 2017-08-11 08:54

Hi there,
Please can you confirm the abort code displayed on the front panel of the decoder?

Thanks.

MC Mpho 2017-08-11 09:20

Please can you also confirm the version of smartcard.
This is found on the CA Status Screen.

To access the CA Status screen:

Please press Menu> 6>3>2>1

Thanks.

DPA1 2017-08-11 12:47

[QUOTE=Glock26;357192]3 Reboots in the past 25 minutes. Almost the same times as yesterday.

Edit to add: Make that SIX reboots in an hour.
The contempt you show your customers is truly staggering.[/QUOTE]

Yes, not at home yesterday, but my wife confirmed 6 times between 6pm and 8pm. Rest of evening fine, no reboots.

Glock26 2017-08-12 18:14

[QUOTE=MC Mpho;357228]Please can you also confirm the version of smartcard.
This is found on the CA Status Screen.
To access the CA Status screen:
Please press Menu> 6>3>2>1
Thanks.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Version 5.4

More reboots. Seems they are consistently between 6pm and about 6:45pm.
Getting extremely frustrating. Yesterday it was 7 in a short space of time. Then it settles down until the next day. It is NOT my hardware. Too consistent and concurrent with other users.

Glock26 2017-08-12 19:43

Ok..so I have not been able to watch for the past hour and a half due to repeated reboots.
I have had enough now.

MC....I have a paid up care contract. I have 6 tv's being fed the signal.
I am NOT putting up with this anymore.
If I swap for an Explora, not only am I NOT getting 2 PVR environments, but I will need a change of equipment, and will NOT be able to feed all 6 tv's without me spending considerable money finding an installer to link up all tv's, and then finding a way to change channels remotely like I do now with remote blasters.

I am NOT paying for a second decoder, PLUS expensive installations, and links to remotes etc..all to get me where I am now.

So YOU TELL ME what you are going to do to get me where I am now without having 10 $$%#%'ing reboots every damn night!!

Had enough!
This is BULL. Get someone in charge to authorize whatever you need to do, I am NOT paying thousands just to get me where I was before you screwed with the damn software. You were happy to take my year in advance payment. Now sort it out!

Glock26 2017-08-13 18:02

On the dot 6pm and the reboots have started!
This is a deliberate and calculated campaign to frustrate SD PVR users into changing to the Explora, right?
Timed daily during peak time, multiple reboots that are supposed to make us thing it is only our faulty hardware?

JOHHNYD 2017-08-13 18:55

Mine is been doing it for the past month. Had all the cables checked and took the decoder to dstv agents. nothing nada can be traced.. exactly 18:00 and again at 19:25 it reboots

JOHHNYD 2017-08-13 19:12

reboot again at 19h10 MC..................What the hell????

Dashprod 2017-08-14 08:17

Mine too...similar times. At least a few every evening, starting at 6:00pm for the past few weeks.
Like others here, I am not willing to spend money to get less than I have now, and the second PVR environment is critical to my household.
I can be contacted if this needs to go to a consumer protection representative.

MC Mpho 2017-08-15 01:48

Hi All,

Please see feedback from our Tech Team.

Glock26 has a V5.4 smartcard.
This version is quite old and has a significantly slower response compared to newer smartcard versions.

SD PVR decoders should ideally have a V6 however these are no longer available in the market.

New smartcards (V7 and higher) do not work on the SD PVR decoders as they use newer technology meaning that the smartcard cannot be upgraded for SDPVR decoders.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Regards,
MC Mpho

Glock26 2017-08-16 19:28

Mpho,
Thank you for the feedback. But please forgive me if I take that explanation with a pinch of salt. What smartcard issue causes multiple reboots between 6pm and 7:30pm every day, and then all is fine until the next evening?
It might be contributing, but I maintain that the fault lies elsewhere. Would help if others post their smartcard version.

But now that I have been told that my smartcard is making my decoder unusable, and that MC is unable to even upgrade my smartcard, how are you going to get me back to where I am now, without me spending lots of money?
I have that care contract, and both a faulty decoder and a smartcard.
So how are you going to get me my dual pvr channels/environments?
I mean you must be getting people handing back their SD PVR's all the time. And with those...lots of newer versions of smartcards. But you are unable to provision one of those and write it so that I can use it? Not one of those thousands? Heck..I probably have one here from a friend who emigrated and left me his SD PVR and card that I can't use.
And if not, then I would request someone to make contact and find a solution to get me a working 2 PVR environment. And at the same time, for others who are experiencing the same issues.
It is taking 15 minutes to complete a reboot, and multiple reboots (mostly manual) before the channels scan and I get a picture again.
You have told us the problem, but have not provided a solution that is not a step backwards for us users.
Looking forward to the solution, and await your news.

MC Mpho 2017-08-17 13:22

Hi Glock26,

Please note that your query has been logged with our management team.
We will provide a response as soon as possible.

Regards,
Mpho
MC Mpho

Glock26 2017-08-17 19:13

That would be nice, since I am on my 4th reboot in the past 25 minutes...always starting after 6pm of course.
And since I only get to watch tv between 6pm and about 9pm....I am losing a serious chunk of my viewing time every night. Think I can try for a partial refund due reduced service?

LesleyH 2017-08-18 12:35

We are also having the same problem each evening after 6pm??????????

bothafire 2017-08-19 02:24

Is it even necessary to report these continuous reboots or the fact that immediately after a random reboot a manual reboot is required because you don't have control everything is frozen. To log every reboot would be a full-time job and seems to please DSTV's agenda, more complaints from SD PVR subscribers proves their actions are working. Only business that actually thrives on negative response instead of quality service when it comes to SD PVR subscribers. All the HD PVR and Explora customers wait your time will come when DSTV wants to force a new decoder on it's customers.

Dashprod 2017-08-19 08:25

Gee...it's just our smart card's fault that it reboots after 6pm every day? Not MC at all. Umm..Sure.

Optimist 2017-08-19 08:57

My take on it;

[QUOTE=Optimist;358386]...by now I'm certain the reboots issue must relate to their new system installed a few weeks ago so a bit complex to sort out.[/QUOTE]

The few emergency EPG fixes over the last few months on this tech discontinued decoder tells me that MC are as interested as always in looking after it and their customers who still use it. They even do some fixes on the much older DualView decoder.
I've also got the SD PVR, a very annoying and unacceptable problem but it is really old tech now so not a total surprise.

@MC - may I suggest that regular feedback would be best even if there's little to say for now, like for those who had the 2P etc. decoders' reboots for months.

Dashprod 2017-08-19 09:49

Optimist, reading your posts as a lurker the past few months, it is hardly a surprise you are yet again the local MC cheerleader who blames "old tech" and us customers who are expecting too much from a discontinued device.
Seems to me that MC entered into an agreement to provide a service when they took on the contracts, and even taking yearly payments in advance for a device that is now not functioning, and yet they want to provide customers with a solution that is far reduced from what they have now, at a higher price.
The simple installation options offered as part of the trade in will not cover most homes (that NEVER have one just TV) and the end result is a huge inconvenience for families who have to decide which room has PVR/DVR functionality. Also the change to digital would incur costs for most customers...all while getting less at the end of the day unless we pay significant fees to purchase another device and pay additional installation.

If MC admits that they cannot fix the current SD PVR issues, then in the interests of keeping customers, perhaps they need to look at their trade in offers and make it worthwhile for someone to ditch the old tech. Especially with things like fibre making DSTV increasingly unattractive to many (myself included)

Optimist 2017-08-19 10:07

Most of what you posted makes sense to me too.

[QUOTE=Dashprod;358401]Optimist, reading your posts as a lurker the past few months, it is hardly a surprise you are yet again the local MC cheerleader who blames "old tech" and us customers who are expecting too much from a discontinued device.[/QUOTE]

Except this - absolute nonsense, but nothing personal as this is atypical of online behaviour and especially for those who are newer.

Someone like me, who has enough knowledge and chooses to point out the pros of a company as well, will always be targeted by those who refuse to be anything but negative.
This will not stop our efforts to keep a balance, without which there is just uneducated chaos like one finds on the MyBroadband forums.
and I personally don't care what anyone thinks about me, tough...

Now to look at it as IT WAS MEANT - Yes, I am saying the tech is old, no I am NOT saying that is an excuse for MC - read what I said again.
And yes, the time will come when the SD PVR becomes too old to be useful enough, but not yet.
And no, at no point did I say you are expecting too much from a discontinued service - like everyone else here I am saying FIX IT! But with more patience than most as I know it's not a simple problem.

I understand the huge annoyance going on, but blaming isn't the answer. Honestly I doubt anyone knows what exactly is responsible.

What I am fed up with is MC's lack of testing before implementing changes. We were once told it's too complicated to do enough of before launch, for another service that was under scrutiny - sorry, I don't buy that part.

Dashprod 2017-08-19 10:12

Fair enough. Apologies. But you are right, it is frustrating.

LesleyH 2017-08-21 08:45

As 6pm comes on the dot there the reboot starts and again at 7pm if this isn't fixed soon we are seriously thinking of giving up DSTV for good!! Find a fix for this please!!!!

bothafire 2017-08-21 23:24

I accept this so called 'old tech' story with this one major exception I have had MNET/DSTV since inception including setting up the old 'yellow-green-red' marked aerials and tuning into my stations. How many subscribers remember those times. Then dish TV and the great service we had when SD-PVR's were brought in. My viewing experience was great and hardly ever had a spurious reboot or service interruption or need to report errors. The moment DSTV brought in HD-PVR quickly followed by Explora SD-PVR problems started. As you can see I joined the forum in 2012 why because from that point on there has been a steady decrease in the quality of programming and a continuing increase in spurious errors and reboots and I include HD-PVR and Explora errors. So which other company has a service which is progressively getting worse and has no interest in consulting it's lifelong subscribers. I do not know how many online surveys I have completed until I realised that it was just window dressing cause none of my comments were acted on. Most of the questions gave limited possible choice of response so that DSTV could get the response they wanted. I never heard from DSTV now I get numerous calls telling me how bad my SD-PVR is and trying to convince me to change to this locally manufactured Explora because they made their decision now they have to make this work and I must live with it. The so-called negative responses were illicited by bad service from DSTV and that is what happens when you have monopolies well fibre and broadband is improving and is here to stay so options are opening up in South Africa thank goodness or that.

MC Sandipa 2017-08-24 12:20

Hi all

Please have a look at this thread to see the update from MC Brenda regarding those who have Decoder Insurance. Thank you

[url]http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=36930&page=3[/url]

DPA1 2017-08-26 19:52

Rebooting several times again since 6PM today. I am paying in full for a service of which I only have 30 to 40 min access only between 6 and 8PM.

As for MC response, and as I have asked before without any answer. Will this rebooting at 6 be regarded as faulty machine to be swapped by insurance?

Quote from the MC referenced threat by Optimist: "@Dashprod is one of those affected by the recent regular SD PVR reboots, but I don't think temporary widely-experienced faulty performance would be considered part of the insurance."

Please clarify for me - MC please.

MC Sandipa 2017-08-28 12:43

Hi DPA1

I am confirming and will revert.

Thanks

bothafire 2017-09-06 16:00

Looks like subscribers have finished wasting their time reporting SD-PVR reboots because they know DSTV is just not concerned.

DPA1 2017-09-09 18:10

[QUOTE=bothafire;360585]Looks like subscribers have finished wasting their time reporting SD-PVR reboots because they know DSTV is just not concerned.[/QUOTE]
Not at home last weekend. Now I am watching reboot again, as I wanted to keep an eye on the storm in FL, and the cheetahs munster game. Paying for nothing. And waiting for reply as promised.

Will replace sometime, but so far the hazzle of losing the recorded programs just postponing. and the decoder fine rest of the day.

Glock26 2017-09-09 21:08

Yes..mine also rebooting today.
Not a co-incidence they all do it at similar times. They are still screwing with it.

Glock26 2017-09-11 19:09

4th Reboot since 6pm.
For a week or 2, you had it fine, no issues. Then since yesterday morning you decided to screw with it again, and we are worse off than before.
Betting others are having the same issues at the same times.
I'm going big with this....had enough now.

MC Marietjie 2017-09-11 21:04

I'm sorry this is happening - I spoke to our insurance guys about this. They have to go back to the insurer and clarify. So we're hoping to hear soon.

Glock26 2017-09-12 19:12

Thank you, I look forward to the response.
In the meantime, just like clockwork....after 18:15 the reboots have started again.
Note that these are NEVER just reboots. It reboots, then always fails to find a public operator, but finds all the rest of the bouquets etc etc.
Then it hangs there until I stop my dinner or whatever I am doing, go to the lounge, and then manually reboot. It will then do the same thing again 3 or 4 times....before eventually finding that 1 public operator, and then it will successfully connect to 1...2....3 etc etc of 26.
Once it comes back, I can carry on watching (10 minutes later) until it reboots again about 20 minutes later.
This repeats until about 20:30 when it settles down, and is fine until the next day just after 6pm.

And you think I am unreasonable when I seriously just want to go mad?

Right now, into the 3rd batch of reboots since 6pm.

Now..let me ask you. EXACTLY what are you guys doing after 6pm every night that starts this mess? Because it is too regular to just be co-incidence.

I want this solved please..and I want my 2 PVR environments back.

To those that I have contacted about this and are working on the consumer side, please note this entire thread, and others having the same issue.

Geoff D 2017-09-14 09:38

I was away for a month, returning late on Sunday 9th. I started the process of switching on everything. ( These days we power down absolutely everything possible when we go away).

Needless to say it is now been THREE DAYS of absolute hell getting the decoders to work again.

First, It took 5 hours on Monday morning to get through all the service authentication issues on both my decoders. I had every possible so called error message related to service authentication and had to reset both decoders 5 times!

Then 18:00 happened. [B]PRIME viewing time MC just in case you don't know.[/B] Everyday since Monday at almost exactly 18:15, both the UEC HD PVR 4T and the SD PVR become unresponsive, with the SD PVR rebooting shortly after. Then the UEC stops transmitting HB and that stays like that until a forced reboot.
The SD PVR will then go through a gamut of service related error messages and reboots and then stays down until the HB is restored.

The UEC HD PVR gives an error message that I am not authorized to use PVR services! Yet it will allow me to access the playlist, and it does not give any XV error messages.

This nonsense continues for most of the evening, only restoring after midnight every night so far!

If it was not for the OpenviewHD decoder I now have, there would be hell in my home!

So MC FIX this nonsense with service authentication on the older decoders before you alienate even more of your very patient and loyal customers!.

PS DO NOT tell me it is the hardware either! It is most definitely NOT the hardware as I can show that the errors are all caused by mixed service authentication messages received by the decoders.

:mad::mad::mad:

Geoff D 2017-09-15 09:28

So the saga continues! :mad:

At 18:20 last night a repeat performance, this time without the SD PVR reboots. But the loss of HB from the Primary decoder interrupted everything again.

This time I saw something happening. A brief error message flashed across the Primary decoder screen, followed the loss of HB and 20 minutes later the secondary decoder is off the air.

Why MC does an authentication check now interrupt HB? What makes it nec to interrupt working services when simply doing a service check?

Dashprod 2017-09-15 16:39

This 18:10 - 18:15 time is too consistent to be hardware, and can only be triggered by something they are doing at that time.
Considering it is peak time as you mentioned, I am losing most of my viewing time. Hardly worth paying for, when I can just download the programs and play them off a flash drive or stream Netflix.
If I had found an easy way to stream Netflix to my other tv's in the house so I can watch the same program as I go from room to room, I would have cancelled MC months ago.
Definitely heading that way though.

Geoff D 2017-09-15 17:06

I will be taking up station in front of both decoders at 17:45. I am hoping to see what that error message is that flashes across the tv screen connected to the HDPVR Primary decoder.

Glock26 2017-09-15 19:00

Reboots started at 18:06 for me tonight.
Stopped after 2 reboots for a change...stable now until tomorrow night I guess.

bothafire 2017-09-15 19:17

Two to three reboots between 18:00 and 20:00 every night for the past 2 weeks and DSTV does nothing there is no point in reporting this every day when it is obvious that DSTV does not care.

Glock26 2017-09-15 19:43

Bothafire, keep reporting. I have a few media and consumer people monitoring and asking questions.
And yes...I spoke too soon. Another reboot at 19:06

Geoff D 2017-09-15 20:52

Well I tried to see what the error message was but it flashes across the screen too fast. I tried to video the screen as well and then playback the video in slow motion but that also did not capture the error message.

Unfortunately, a member of the family tried to use the trick modes on the SD PVR, which then immediately triggers a reboot after which without a valid HB signal from the Primary decoder, means that decoder is no off the air until the Primary decoder starts to transmit HB again. A reboot of the Primary decoder does not restore HB as it is still locked in to processing whatever dumb and stupid authentication process has not completed.!

resigned to the fact that another prime time viewing night (Friday) will be useless.

Dashprod 2017-09-16 10:20

Reboot at 06:45 this morning. They do seem to reboot on the weekends in the morning too.
I guess because early morning and dinner time are the prime viewing times of the public, and if you want to frustrate them into being forced to buy another decoder or upgrade, this is when you screw with the broadcasts.

DPA1 2017-09-16 18:07

18:04, there it goes again. Also last night between 6 and 8 cannot recall the time. On the whole day, no reboots before now.

Glock26 2017-09-16 18:11

Yep...18:05
Gee.....it's just us individually...not happening to others at the same time.

DPA1 2017-09-16 18:57

18:56 - reboot 3000 on the 74th min of Bulls Lions game. Real rip off non existent service

Glock26 2017-09-17 18:07

6:05pm as expected.
It is ridiculous that MC doesn't admit to whatever they are doing that causes this at the same times every day.

DPA1 2017-09-17 18:08

18:04 again. Reboot. My wife calls it a "geskeduleerde f_kk_p" :).

bothafire 2017-09-17 18:15

Multiple reboots last night between 18:00 and 20:00. Tonight prime time reboots have started as expected just after 18:00 the most reliable DSTV service is prime time reboots what are performance to be proud of quality viewing on DSTV just not if you have an SD-PVR. Almost 3 weeks of uninterrupted prime time reboots and DSTV cannot do anything are they just incompetent or they know exactly what they are doing and could not care less.

Geoff D 2017-09-17 19:52

The timing of this daily issue is so accurate you can set your watch by it!

Come on MC a response at least is required. A solution is now critical. You are destroying prime time viewing for all of us!

MC Sandipa 2017-09-18 14:01

Dear All

We are not ignoring you - we are working with the powers that be to try and find a solution that is suitable for everyone. Please give us a little more time.

Thank you for your patience...

Geoff D 2017-09-18 14:48

Thanks for the response. At least we now know someone is working on the issue.

I have a suggestion. Given that there are very few of us left with working SD PVRs and Record 2 HD PVRs, consider removing the daily authentication checks you do at about 18:00 every night??

Pretty please??

Geoff D 2017-09-19 11:02

So last night, the same happened again. This time however, we did not try and interact with either decoder. (Did not use any of the trick mode functionality).

The SD PVR rebooted on schedule at 18:20. The HD PVR stopped transmitting HB. The SD PVR did not recover after the loss of the HB.

The HD OVR rebooted soon after the last scheduled recording was completed for the evening, after which HB was restored, BUT the SD PVR did not recover without a second reboot.

No inexplicable reboots of either decoders this morning.

Another evening gone with no viewing possible in Prime time.

Geoff D 2017-09-19 20:35

And another night of no prime time viewing :mad:

Glock26 2017-09-19 20:42

Ditto.
MC, while you are taking your time solving this...you may want to consider what credit you are going to offer those of us missing most of our viewing time. Most people only get to watch tv early mornings and early evenings.

Geoff D 2017-09-20 16:36

So this is what so immensely annoying about this entire mess.

Bothe the UEC and the SD PVR work perfectly well from midnight through to 18:00 every single day with no issues at all. Occasionally, MC does another service check in the mornings, then same nonsense we experience at night happens.

The at around 18:00 whatever MC does overloads the UEC decoder's processor and it cannot do anything else but attend to the service authentication process. Response to remote commands becomes so bad that one has to hold the remote right up against the FP to get any attention at all. The HB is interrupted and 20-30 min later the SD PVR goes off the air.

BUT, only for live viewing! recordings on the SD PVR continue, but then cannot be played back later, yet they are all there on the HDD.

The UEC decoder carries on working providing you do not try to do anything at all, just view whatever you are viewing.

Then the next day all is normal again.

Surely by now MC should know exactly what the problem is!

Glock26 2017-09-20 18:55

Congrats MC!
First night in ages without a 6:10pm reboot cycle. Let's see if I spoke too soon...

Geoff D 2017-09-20 20:51

Confirm! Great news. All is okay on the northern front!
Thank you MC!

Our night time viewing is flawless tonight so far
:D:D:D

bothafire 2017-09-21 04:26

No reboots during prime time viewing do you think DSTV will admit that they were responsible for 19 days of reboots and frustration. We now need to be grateful that DSTV has stopped whatever they were doing.
One night may be a bit too early to start applauding especially when all that has happened is we got the type of service we are entitled too and pay for one night let's see how long it lasts.

Optimist 2017-09-21 18:43

1 Attachment(s)
And now two well behaved nights in a row... I hope a sign of better, more customer-concerned changes ;)

[ATTACH]8340[/ATTACH]

Glock26 2017-09-21 18:51

YOU ARE LATE MC.
18:47....

Was your Psyops guy on leave the past 2 days?

Geoff D 2017-09-21 18:52

No such luck :mad::mad::mad:

Just had a reboot and the same nonsense as before yesterday

MC cannot leave well alone!

Optimist 2017-09-21 18:55

Spoke literally just a couple of minutes too soon! :rolleyes::mad:

It's tooooo long MC, this can not ever be anywhere near acceptable service, someone needs to jump to attention now!!
Your security must not ever again be allowed to cause such incredible nonsense lengths of service interruptions, the customer MUST come first!!! Something still not learnt after decades of doing things like this!!

bothafire 2017-09-21 20:05

I guess celebration was premature 2 reboots 18:50 and 19:03 and I guess tomorrow will be another revelation.

Krugie 2017-09-21 22:58

[QUOTE=Glock26;362844]YOU ARE LATE MC.
18:47....

Was your Psyops guy on leave the past 2 days?[/QUOTE]

The person initiating the reboots was as the Showcase so could only start late. :D:D

DPA1 2017-09-21 23:07

The non available times between 6 and 8 pm, and the reduction of repeats, caused me to loose one ep of Bachelor in Paradise, which shows between 6 and 8. And out of nowhere in the middle of the month the only repeat at monday 23:30 moved to Tuesday 01:00. And the 3rd repeat on Friday - tomorrow - does not exist anymore. But who cares.

Old issue with my SDPVR, it 50.50 chances of rebooting after completing a recording. But also managing this - as if I should.

bothafire 2017-09-22 04:45

3 Reboots again last night all that DSTV has done is moved them 40 minutes later - thank you for your quality service 3 weeks and counting DSTV the reboot supplier.

Geoff D 2017-09-22 08:20

What do you do in the mornings before 06:00 that works? Why can't you do the same in the evenings?

Unbelievable gross incompetence :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Geoff D 2017-09-22 12:55

No comment from MC?
Does not auger well for the long weekend.

Glock26 2017-09-22 19:27

So Multichoice, knowing full well what is causing the issue, but being unable to solve the problem, chooses rather to shift the time that they do it instead of solving it.
So now we don't get the 18:10 ones anymore, but instead have random ones later in the evening, and also several during the night and early morning?

Geoff D 2017-09-22 20:38

Holding thumbs so far all is normal with my decoders. Now 20:35.

Our viewing is almost over for the night just need another hour and then it won't matter for tonight.

Geoff D 2017-09-23 08:12

So last night went off relatively smoothly with no reboots of the SD PVR. The UEC HD PVR did hiccup for about 10 minutes during which it stopped transmitting HB and trick mode functionality was lost.

Certainly an improvement.

Glock26 2017-09-23 18:52

Aaaannnddd there it goes!
Bit late tonight.

MC, please advise who I contact in Randburg for a partial credit this month?

Edit to add....aaanndd again......

bothafire 2017-09-24 02:39

Announcing a new prime time reboot schedule we are moving this exciting new prime time schedule from 18:10 to 18:50 please enjoy our new programming schedule.
We have been working hard to bring you this new exciting program to ensure the best viewing in Africa.

Optimist 2017-09-24 09:12

[B]@MC / Naspers Executive[/B] - please do also hear this bigger picture concern in case something about it has been missed in the past, of course you don't want the loss of customers it must have created for decades;

Since the first year or two that M-Net itself initially launched, I (and many others I know in the industry) have witnessed endless regular public-service related fiddling with authentication systems which have caused a range of issues often leading to extreme reaction among your clients.
(The ones I used to hear it from back then were initially my clients as well).

It is well understood that the authentication process is a main essential factor of the service you deliver. However, it always being put, by some or all, above your clients' good quality service needs is beyond anyone's understanding out here. There must be other ways, especially in initially researching and planning, which would avert most of these disruptions and even major disasters such as this one.

With some shared interest, and thank you for your re-considerations

Geoff D 2017-09-26 01:03

A weekend of peace with older decoders. Let us hope it stays like this.

Glock26 2017-09-26 19:01

Nope...of course not. 18:06....reboot.
MC still hasn't told us who we speak to about partial credit?

Geoff D 2017-09-27 07:57

Not at home last night but this morning all
Looks normal on my decoders

Optimist 2017-09-27 08:41

Mine definitely didn't reboot last night either.

Geoff D 2017-09-27 17:58

17:55 and here we go again with the unwanted reboots!
MC send all the authentication personnel into permanent retirement please. They are doing nothing for your customer base.

Glock26 2017-09-27 19:10

And again for me too.
I am unwilling to keep updating this post daily just so they can say they are working on it. My decoder is dysfunctional, an Explora swap won't put me back where I am now...so I expect MC to make a plan to offer a trade for 2 machines that will get me back where I am now...and it is still going to cost me money for installation.
I think that is fair considering the extreme irritation and inconvenience.
I am not continuing to pay for a service that is non existent!

DPA1 2017-09-27 19:39

Was not at home this weekend. But tonight battling to watch. Reboot. Unresponsive.

Glock26 2017-09-28 19:13

I suppose it is utterly pointless even updating....except for the added info for the article.
But since MC refuses to even acknowledge us here....I guess all gloves are off.
That said...3 reboots since 6:30

Geoff D 2017-09-29 08:57

Last night at 17:55 the Primary decoder hiccupped, picture freeze, black screen, and then recovered. An error message flashed across the screen. HB was NOT affected and thus the secondary SD PVR was not affected.

So some progress is being made. Not sure if all those being affected are seeing the same?

MC Marietjie 2017-09-29 09:50

Folks we've just this morning sent the following response to Wendy Knowler, a consumer journalist who has raised this issue with us. Thought it would be useful to replicate that response here:

The SD PVR decoders have been in end of support since November of 2014 – this means that they can simply no longer cope with the amount of channels and information on the DStv service. We can also no longer repair them and cannot send software updates. We have been recommending to our customers since November 2014, that they plan to replace these decoders as they will start experiencing interruptions in their service.

Essentially, these decoders had a design life of 6 years – we stopped making them in 2007, which means the current ones being used are between 10 and 14 years old. As you know, technology does age and starts giving intermittent problems – just think of an old cellphone trying to run WhatsApp or Facebook.

As part of our security measures (which are needed to protect the integrity of the content on DStv and stop piracy), we send data to all active smart cards. This places an extra load on decoders – other decoders like later model HD PVRs and the Explora handles this without incident – but the SD PVR cannot cope with it. So the rescan and reboot is the decoder’s attempt to recover. We have to send these commands every few hours, so cannot schedule it for a quieter time of the day.

These decoders have run out of memory – this is why they only have 6 days on their TV guide instead of 8 and why we cannot upgrade the software on these decoders. This is not a deliberate attempt on our part to force customers to upgrade – this is the old technology simply not being able to cope with the number of channels and amount of information it needs to process.

We have a number of special trade-in deals available to our SD PVR customers to help them upgrade – details available here: [url]http://campaigns.dstv.com/explora/sd-pvr-trade-in/?utm_source=seeded%20search&utm_medium=topic%20page&ut[/url]

Customers interested in reading more about end of support and which decoders are in end of support, can go here: [url]https://www.dstv.com/topic/dstv-decoder-lifecycle-20150401?utm_source=seeded%20search&utm_medium=topic[/url]

MC Marietjie 2017-09-29 09:51

As an additional note, I have engaged the decoder insurance team to understand what they offer and whether they will take an insurance claim based on the constant reboots. I am awaiting word from them and will let you know when I have a final confirmed outcome.

Optimist 2017-09-29 10:05

[QUOTE=MC Marietjie;363720]We have to send these commands every few hours, so cannot schedule it for a quieter time of the day.[/QUOTE]

How come it then only normally results in reboot(s) between about 18:00 and 20:00, and occasionally in the mornings. Is this a combination of authentication and update / adjustment periods re EPG data as some of us suspect?

Is MC saying it's the end of the line for the SD PVR then, or are efforts to try develop a fix still underway, and if so is there any timeframe concept yet? One of the Mods did recently suggest that some sort of "best for all parties" effort was underway.

MC Marietjie 2017-09-29 10:25

EPG data for each set of decoders is updated 4 times a day. I suspect that these times are more noticeable as that is when people are actually wanting to watch TV.

Folks the reality is, we're not going to spend time developing software fixes for a decoder that is in end of support. It has been in end of support for three years already, since November 2014. There is no fix that can be done - the decoder simply does not have the memory and processing power.

As per my post, there are a number of trade in deals available (go to the website link) and the guys are working on more which include installation as well. I've seen some of these, which will be driven by On Air and they are very good.

And as I said in another post, have been in touch with the insurance guys - remember they are guided by various regulations, so it's not just a matter of what we would like to do. At the moment, the insurance settlement gives you an Explora plus smart LNB and installation.

Geoff D 2017-09-29 10:26

I see the response to Wendy Knowler covers the SD PVR but does not say anything about the UEC 4 tuner HD PVR?

In my case, I am totally convinced that not withstanding everything MC says about the SD PVR, the problems I am experiencing are almost all related to how the UEC 4 tuner HD PVR handles the same issues with authentication.

Are we to assume that MC IS addressing this issue and that the gradual improvement in response to the checks is because of changes implemented?

MC Marietjie 2017-09-29 10:44

No Geoff, as the SD PVR is in end of support, it is not correct to assume we're addressing the issue.

Geoff D 2017-09-29 10:54

As to the trade in offers:

For the UEC 4 tuner HD PVR the option is:

[QUOTE]You’ll continue to have access to DStv as long as your decoder is working. [B]You can, however, trade-in your active HD PVR 4 Tuner (UEC) at any of our service centres or agencies for a brand new DStv Explora 2 for only R999 (the normal retail price is R1299). This excludes installation[/B], so please chat to your local DStv Accredited Installer about any potential installation changes required.[/QUOTE]

The only way to replace the functionality of a 4 tuner decoder is to offer 2 x Explora2 decoders .....

The 4 tuner decoders have view 1 record 2 capability.

For the SD PVR:

Option 1: DStv Explora 2 + DStv HD decoder + INST + SLNB == R 1999
[INDENT]What you get is view 2, record 1 with no sharing of recorded content but this is the closest to being able to replace the SD PVR functionality.

I can do without the INST option!
[/INDENT]

Option 2: R 799
[INDENT]Excludes INST BUT also excludes the DStv HD decoder and the SLNB?

[B] Why???[/B]

This option does NOT replace the SD PVR functionality
[/INDENT]Option 3: includes INST and the SLNB for R 999.
[INDENT]Neither does this option.

[/INDENT]

Geoff D 2017-09-29 10:56

[QUOTE=MC Marietjie;363786]No Geoff, as the SD PVR is in end of support, it is not correct to assume we're addressing the issue.[/QUOTE]

The question is related to the UEC HD PVR ..... Is MC doing anything to address the issues with this decoder? It is afterall just another version of the Pace 4 tuner HD PVR .....

Geoff D 2017-09-29 10:58

Option 1 is a fairly good deal ---- just tear up the INST voucher .... It is worth only R 200 anyway.

Interesting to see that "dual view" originally seen as something that made MC unique is now seen years later as a disadvantage ....

The fickle nature of Marketing I suppose?

DPA1 2017-09-29 23:54

Ok. So the message is, too bad. My issue is that the logistics to replace inconvenient. I will loose all recordings, so I have to wait to decide which series we can loose, and get repeats on other channels again. But the repeats also limited these days. And I stay out of town, unlimited data not an option to catch-up. Lets wait for the insurance, maybe financially no loss.

Geoff D 2017-09-30 00:52

[QUOTE=DPA1;363960]Ok. So the message is, too bad. My issue is that the logistics to replace inconvenient. I will loose all recordings, so I have to wait to decide which series we can loose, and get repeats on other channels again. But the repeats also limited these days. And I stay out of town, unlimited data not an option to catch-up. Lets wait for the insurance, maybe financially no loss.[/QUOTE]

Out of interest, What does your install consist of?

DPA1 2017-09-30 01:05

Sole SDPVR original installation, one TV. Had to replace LNB few years back. I can of course put the recordings on another hard disk recorder, which I used the second channel for in the past. But so much management. Even have a VCR in the setup, still alive, not used for few years now.

(5th or 6th SDPVR, but stopped replacing, since at the end not hardware faults Used to watch on channel 2 only for a year or two, first channel TV1 one always freezing up. And guess what, suddenly channel one working perfectly. Etc, etc)

Optimist 2017-09-30 07:29

Pretty good situation then for you, get hold of an Explora one way or another, and it alone sorts you out - its live TV & PVR usage doing your main job in your TV 1 environment, and your mostly not or now not used TV 2 environment can just share... or if it needs something basic like you had then put in a low cost 4136 HD Decoder there.

Either way the single or combination use of PVR / XV will be the same cost as for your current subscription setup, and you get an upgrade to HD quality.

Just a matter of the cost of replacing the old decoder, however that works out. The forum can help with the easy enough XV setup if needed.

Not as easy for others...

DPA1 2017-09-30 18:56

[CENTER]:mad::mad::mad::mad:And on 76min it reboots (18:45), now with new code 2000. And when trying to view live streaming I get this message now.

Only DStv Premium customers with an active PVR can access live streaming online and on mobile devices. [URL="https://connect.dstv.com/4.1/Smartcards?returnUrl=http://www.supersport.com/live-video/182874&"] Click here[/URL] to view your smartcard details.

And when I viewed detail it is linked! And I am not on mobile device, except if a laptop is one

DSTV is really full of s.

I can just cancel and go watch in the local pub, and will still save on the subscription. And actually see the game.

[/CENTER]

Glock26 2017-09-30 18:57

Thanks, but you know where you can put your upgrade offers?
You KNOW yourself what you have to offer to put people back where they are now. You also know it will cost consumers thousands in additional installation and equipment if they want to have what they have now.
WHO THE F has one tv in a house nowdays??
You KNOW all of that. So please don't insult us with your offers.
Offer the 2 decoders necessary, offer full installation to those with care contracts. Stop misleading the public that the Explora offers more than we have now, and stop pretending that it is our fault because we don't want to pay more to get less.

DPA1 2017-09-30 18:58

!8:58, goes again

DPA1 2017-09-30 19:06

1 Attachment(s)
Card linked few years now, and premium subscriber. Nothing works here.

Glock26 2017-09-30 19:49

One of the things I hope that Wendy will note is that by definition, an SD PVR can WATCH 2 and record one. That already (by design) means that you have at least 2 tv's. Otherwise you would not need an SD Pvr.
So by offering a trade in offer that includes installation to only one TV, MC is insulting both the intelligence of their customers, as well as forcing an expensive install.
This aside from all the other installation expenses, and you can bet your life the installers are going to take full advantage of that.

Geoff D 2017-09-30 20:51

[QUOTE=DPA1;364035]Card linked few years now, and premium subscriber. Nothing works here.[/QUOTE]

What version is the SMART card?

Geoff D 2017-09-30 20:54

Thank goodness no nonsense today! There would have been a riot what with the rugby on SABC 2.

Optimist 2017-09-30 20:56

[QUOTE=Geoff D;364047]Thank goodness no nonsense today! There would have been a riot what with the rugby on SABC 2.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately mine has been performing badly like the others today, so it seems yours is the exception this time.

Anyway, just a log of sorts now. I've got no hope left with this.

Geoff D 2017-10-01 09:29

Both decoders rebooted some time after midnight last night. A recording set on the UEC HD PVR failed as a result.
The SD PVR was not affected no recordings in progress at the time.

Glock26 2017-10-01 09:34

It rebooted just after 10pm last night.
I suspect that since MC has now officially said "screw you, we aren't going to do anything about it, you HAVE to accept an inferior offer" they will now force the reboot at an increased pace and without any worries at all.
No point continuing to point them out anymore...now it is a case of taking either legal action or taking it straight to the top to demand compensation for the lost service daily.

Glock26 2017-10-01 09:45

Oh..and just to prove my point above..there we go! A 9:45am reboot.

DPA1 2017-10-01 14:30

[QUOTE=Glock26;364068]Oh..and just to prove my point above..there we go! A 9:45am reboot.[/QUOTE]

Mine as well.

Geoff D 2017-10-01 15:46

And the two of you prove this has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE HARDWARE!

It is simply that MC is incapable of running their services anymore.

DPA1 2017-10-01 19:50

Geoff, my reply to you iro smartcard waiting for moderater.

No reboots tonight so far, the one who press the button not working tonight :)

DPA1 2017-10-01 23:22

Not one reboot since the one this morning. And watching recordings and recording stuff, and not even slow responses.

Geoff D 2017-10-02 22:28

So tonight the UEC decoder reboots for no reason.
After that I see a partial recording which tells me it is partial because the user stopped it!
No way I stopped it MC your blasted system stopped it when it forced a reboot!
:mad::mad:

DPA1 2017-10-02 23:52

Tonight no forced reboot. But signal disabled from just before 9 with message that dstv need to verify subscription status. If message remains after 2min, contact call centre. message stayed there until after 10, when I manually rebooted it. But while message displaying, ch 100 fully available, and i could watch recordings. The set recording of 21.00 lost. Machine was perfect from 6 to 10, doing lots of actions with it. Fast.

Geoff D 2017-10-03 07:49

[QUOTE=DPA1;364359]Tonight no forced reboot. But signal disabled from just before 9 with message that dstv need to verify subscription status. If message remains after 2min, contact call centre. message stayed there until after 10, when I manually rebooted it. But while message displaying, ch 100 fully available, and i could watch recordings. The set recording of 21.00 lost. Machine was perfect from 6 to 10, doing lots of actions with it. Fast.[/QUOTE]

Yes fast because the processor could do what it is supposed to. Obviously the authentication data stream was totally cut off leaving you in peace!

DPA1 2017-10-03 23:02

Absolutely perfect tonight, no reboot, no message to verify status, responsive.

Geoff D 2017-10-03 23:20

Yup agree no issues at all, EXCEPT somehow the date settings were messed up on my UEC decoder last night. So I checked the SD PVR and found the same. so some settings are now set to only start next month ( November) instead of continuing on where they should be for October.

There is no end to MCs messing around with our decoders .....:mad:

Optimist 2017-10-04 08:32

With all these odder incidents lately I have to wonder if they're maybe still trying a few things for a fix. Not that they would confirm it, and I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Geoff D 2017-10-04 18:21

At 18:05 the picture on the UEC HD PVR froze for about a minute, after which services resumed. During that time the HB signal was also interrupted. So far no sign of any other adverse effects.

JBG101 2017-10-04 21:37

My SD PVR reboots at least twice a day -- when I am home.
Not sure how many times when I am not watching. Guess they want us to get rid of it -- soon.

DPA1 2017-10-06 00:14

SDPVR fine tonight. Just no info info. Rest good

Geoff D 2017-10-06 08:35

Confirm last night was free of anomalies of any kind.

Red Baron 2017-10-06 13:03

I have been following this thread no for a while. My EUC has have been also been rebooting on the odd occasions. A few years ago (3+) I logged it and indicate that my scheduled recordings was wiped. This was indicated it should not happen. Wednesday night it keep in rebooting and then got the message a few times of validating your subscription. After about 2 hours it settled and worked with no problems. My point is that I have downgraded to the Easyview package and all in my family has accepted it. I have noticed a few persons that motivate it, it is time for upgrade as it has a time life. I totally agree, but it won't be an upgrade. I will have less functionality what I have now. Any thing that I buy as an upgrade has more (car, computers cell etc.) An Explora is not an upgrade for me as I looses my dual recording. It might have a bigger HD etc, but it is not my choice. That is why I say MC if my UEC go finally, I will close my account. For what you offer me as a trade in and the cost and inconvenience to "upgrade" is not worth it.

bothafire 2017-10-07 06:47

Amazing just like previous series of errors on SDPVR decoders as soon as it stops you get an unsolicited phone call from DSTV wanting to talk about your SDPVR and Explora. Now that the prime time reboots appears to be over the inevitable unsolicited DSTV call followed once again coincidence I don't think so.

Geoff D 2017-10-07 09:52

So last night at 17:55 the UEC decoder froze again . This time the freeze caused the SD PVR also to freeze. :mad:

Lost some recordings and had one recording set on the EUC completely cancelled. :mad:

Geoff D 2017-10-07 09:56

[QUOTE=bothafire;365223]Amazing just like previous series of errors on SDPVR decoders as soon as it stops you get an unsolicited phone call from DSTV wanting to talk about your SDPVR and Explora. Now that the prime time reboots appears to be over the inevitable unsolicited DSTV call followed once again coincidence I don't think so.[/QUOTE]

Confirm I also got a call.

Geoff D 2017-10-07 09:58

[QUOTE=Red Baron;365160]I have been following this thread no for a while. My EUC has have been also been rebooting on the odd occasions. A few years ago (3+) I logged it and indicate that my scheduled recordings was wiped. This was indicated it should not happen. Wednesday night it keep in rebooting and then got the message a few times of validating your subscription. After about 2 hours it settled and worked with no problems. My point is that I have downgraded to the Easyview package and all in my family has accepted it. I have noticed a few persons that motivate it, it is time for upgrade as it has a time life. I totally agree, but it won't be an upgrade. I will have less functionality what I have now. Any thing that I buy as an upgrade has more (car, computers cell etc.) An Explora is not an upgrade for me as I looses my dual recording. It might have a bigger HD etc, but it is not my choice. That is why I say MC if my UEC go finally, I will close my account. For what you offer me as a trade in and the cost and inconvenience to "upgrade" is not worth it.[/QUOTE]
Yes that is the issue. The functionality that we use ALL the time is view 3 and record 3 .
And that is what I told MC when I got the call.
An offer that replaces that functionality is what I may find compelling.

UEC: Two Exploras will give record 2.

SD PVR: Two Exploras will give me view 2.
But they can't offer me that under one subscription.

DPA1 2017-10-07 18:06

18:02 and reboot again. Cannot watch rugby, and loosing the only time Bachelor in paradise broadcasted, since dstv decided not one repeat anymore. I will just explode one day soon.

DPA1 2017-10-07 18:50

18:49, still missing the game.

DPA1 2017-10-07 19:12

19:01. Reboot

Glock26 2017-10-07 19:26

[QUOTE=Geoff D;365241]SD PVR: Two Exploras will give me view 2.
But they can't offer me that under one subscription.[/QUOTE]
Does 2 linked Exploras not fall under one subscription?? :confused:
And if not, what single subscription setup will give me 2 viewing and PVR environments?

Jan Horn 2017-10-07 20:17

[QUOTE=Glock26;365316]Does 2 linked Exploras not fall under one subscription?? :confused:
And if not, what single subscription setup will give me 2 viewing and PVR environments?[/QUOTE]
Two Explora's do fall under one subscription.

My current setup is Explora 2A Primary and Pace HD PVR 2P as xv all under one subscription

DPA1 2017-10-07 21:05

21:05 reboot.........................................................

Geoff D 2017-10-07 21:23

No reboots for me thank goodness.
What with the house full of people for the rugby there would have been a house burning riot.

bothafire 2017-10-08 19:05

So Friday rejected DSTV phone call regarding changing to Explora Sunday night back to the 18:00 prime time reboots.

Geoff D 2017-10-09 19:41

TV2 Froze tonight.

JBG101 2017-10-10 09:19

Since my HD PVR's HDD gave up the ghost, I (finally) succumbed to MC and traded in my SD PVR for the 'buy back / upgrade' option.
The explora is nice, but I still feel 'done in' by losing the extra channel the SD gave me.
Oh well.

bothafire 2017-10-11 06:42

Another 06:00 am reboot this morning

bothafire 2017-10-11 17:03

As stated earlier reboot at 06:00am this was followed by a reboot at 11.30am and again at 12:00 noon.

DPA1 2017-10-14 00:04

3 reboots tonight, last one 00:01.

New: When pressing program+, the channel changes to 1. Few times. Then have to press TV to get back to DSTV.

Frans 2017-10-14 06:54

[QUOTE=MC Marietjie;363720]

The SD PVR decoders have been in end of support since November of 2014 – this means that they can simply no longer cope with the amount of channels and information on the DStv service. [COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]We can also no longer repair them and cannot send software updates........this is the old technology [/SIZE][/COLOR]simply not being able to cope with the number of channels and amount of information it needs to process.

[/QUOTE]
Just tell me,
Why must it be still active (working) to trade in, what are MC going to do with it?
I call BS!:mad:

MC Marietjie 2017-10-16 08:48

@Frans the intention is to help customers update their existing set up. If you are not using the SDPVR then you don’t need help updating your set up,

Frans 2017-10-16 11:34

The SD PVR is trying to boot now for more than 3 weeks.
It's stuck on Scan:mad:

Optimist 2017-10-16 11:38

By "active" they only mean it must be listed as active on your account. If still so then you qualify.

Geoff D 2017-10-16 12:29

[QUOTE=Frans;366375]The SD PVR is trying to boot now for more than 3 weeks.
It's stuck on Scan:mad:[/QUOTE]

have you got another decoder, even an old one that you can connect to each cable one at a time and at least establish that you have a good signal?

Then try and get the decoder to time out of the scanning process by deliberately disconnecting both feeds so that you can see what is going on with the settings and even restore defaults.

If you cant get this to work, then unfortunately the SD PVR has gone faulty and it is at the end of the line.

Frans 2017-10-16 13:55

@Geoff D,
Thanks Geoff, the 2P sits next to it.
Signal strength and quality 100% (?)
Swopped cables on multi switch any way you can think of, but still nothing. Also made up new cabling from ms to decoders

Geoff D 2017-10-16 14:08

[QUOTE=Frans;366405]@Geoff D,
Thanks Geoff, the 2P sits next to it.
Signal strength and quality 100% (?)
Swopped cables on multi switch any way you can think of, but still nothing. Also made up new cabling from ms to decoders[/QUOTE]

So you never told us that before. There is a chance that the MS is actually faulty.

Try for test purposes to connect the SD POVR directly to the cables form the LNB. yes the HD PVR 2P will now not work, but if the SD PVR completes is boot cycle then the fault lies with the MS.

Geoff D 2017-10-17 08:52

Reboots of both decoders this morning at 08:30. First the Primary decoder, then the SD PVR, followed by 4 or 5 black screen freezes on both decoders.

No error messages seen

bothafire 2017-10-17 17:23

DSTV attacking SDPVR decoders again after a week of no re-boots obviously they could not convince enough SDPVR subscribers to change to explora's. The re-boots started Saturday and have not stopped couple everyday.

MC Marietjie 2017-10-18 08:30

Folks we are not doing something to your decoder on purpose to try to force you to upgrade - if we wanted to do that, we’d simply stop allowing you to use the decoder to access the service. This is happening because your decoder cannot cope with all the demands on it, including authentication commands being sent.
As we’ve said, this is like trying to use an old brick Nokia phone to access modern day apps - the decoder is in end of Support for a reason and had been since November 2014.

Optimist 2017-10-18 08:40

What these conspiracy guys aren't understanding is the fluctuations with the problems.

I know weekend sport can often add to these problems as there's then lots of small slots added to the EPG, but it's harder to understand why things seem fine enough for a few days again, then come back worse than before.
My previous theory was MC's continued experimentation efforts to correct / improve, but what's been announced since and the continued odd behaviour now suggests otherwise.

Whatever explains it, I'm certain after all these years I've been involved that it's not intentional.

bothafire 2017-10-18 09:06

Then please explain we had 3 weeks of prime time reboots then suddenly a couple of days with no reboots then DSTV phones to discuss my SDPVR and when they do not get the response they want suddenly multiple reboots morning, day and night.
Changes in program schedules started this reboot fiasco and authentication probably compounded this and now I am supposed to replace my SDPVR with 2 Explora's to get more or less what I had with 1 SDPVR. Don't tell me about internet with Explora I have broadband wifi can watch my own selection of movies. Don't tell me about extended catchup I have enough repeats to last me a lifetime on DSTV service or any other supposed benefits of Explora.
Microsoft also tried to tell us Windows 8 was the greatest it was a total loss and Windows 10 was rushed through to correct the error of their ways.
The only thing I am interested in is having the ability to view various programs simultaneously my sport, my wife's preferences and my daughter's preferences which I had with SDPVR. Tell me your Explora does not have problems and I am supposed to spend a lot of money and changes to my installation and 4 TV locations just to inherit Explora problems and simulated viewing experience of a single SDPVR. Great service DSTV call the SDPVR a brick then what is the Explora a lemon.

Geoff D 2017-10-18 21:10

Another round of reboots tonight just after 18:00.

The answer is simple MC.

STOP sending authentication commands that the decoder cannot understand or react to correctly.
MC can do this we all know you are able to do so because we all experience days when none of this nonsense goes on.
MC already does this authentication on groups other wise we all will experience all of this at exactly the same time.
So create a group for SD PVR and UEC decoders that excludes commands the decoders can't handle.
Simple clean and in the interests of your customers.

MC must start appreciating the levels of frustration you are creating in the market place with all of this nonsense.
You are pushing us all to the wall, where we will simply walk away. And forget ever getting us back ever.

Geoff D 2017-10-19 19:17

So a round of reboots at midday, which messed up the repeats of shows affected by last night's reboots. And then at 18:00 another round of reboots. Effectively means that two days of shows have now been affected.

Geoff D 2017-10-20 08:05

And the reboots continue.
One just after midnight another round this morning just before 06:00 and then another round just after 07:30

And now 15;00 another one! Please MC get it all over with before the weekend!:mad::mad:

bothafire 2017-10-20 16:51

They won't do anything they want their SDPVR customers to be frustrated this is how dictatorial and monopolies use their power to impose their will on the customers. When did they consult their customers on the introduction of Explora's if they say surveys (surveys where they only allowed choices that suited their agenda) local manufaturing of Explora's now they have to ensure sales.
So wishful thinking that DSTV is going to make adjustments to ensure that SDPVR customers get a better service.
Finally, when they introduced Explora's how is that we never had all these reboots even 3 months ago we had an occasional reboot but nothing as drastic as the reboots that started 1 September and have gone on continuously till too date except for a couple of days in between when we had no reboots.

bothafire 2017-10-20 16:59

Good luck thinking DSTV is suddenly going to be an honest broker with SDPVR customers they want frustrated customers, the only business in town that is trying to chase away customers. Not only customers but customers that have been loyal since 1988 if I remember correctly almost 30 years thank-you DSTV for our long service reward and our loyalty rewards - great service.

Geoff D 2017-10-21 08:24

Reboots this morning just before 06:30, and then another at 08:30. This time tv1 on the sdpvr has a E38 error

Geoff D 2017-10-21 19:28

And again 10 minutes ago :mad::mad::mad:

Geoff D 2017-10-22 09:00

More reboots this morning at 06:00! :mad:

And midday.

And again just after 18:00

That now makes for a complete disaster of a weekend.

Geoff D 2017-10-23 00:14

2017-10-23

Both decoders rebooted at 00:05 this morning.
Error code 5480 on front panel of UEC 4 tuner decoder.
Please MC this is no longer a joke.
You are completely crippling services for many of us. DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE SERVICE AUTHENTICATION SYSTEM!!!

And then again at 06:00.
And then again at Midday 12:00!

And another round at 14:40

And just noticed that ALL series recordings set on the UEC decoder no longer work! Something must have fiddled with the channel identifiers.

18:00

And there we go with a string of reboots just after 6 followed by another at 18:30 and another at 19:15.
Once again prime time viewing is a total write off

Jan Horn 2017-10-23 10:45

@Geoff I noticed this morning that the Pace HD 2 P also rebooted at 00:05 this morning. I think that confirms that the reboot was most likely triggered by something that happened at MC. I can also confirm that the Explora was not effected as I was watching a recording at that time. The pace on XV is only used a few times a week and the interactive app that caused the rebooting previously on this decoder is not used currently, but I have noticed that it has rebooted a few times lately. I will monitor the reboots and if there is any correlation to the reboots you are experiencing will report back on this thread.

Geoff D 2017-10-24 06:39

2017-10-24:

06:00.
Here we go again ! Decoders rebooted at 06:00 recovered at 06:10

Midday: don't know was not near the decoders so cant tell if they rebooted or not.
18:00: Another session of reboots, interrupting prime viewing time for the 5th night in a row.

DPA1 2017-10-24 21:10

Just for the record, was away for a while. Did not set too many recordings, but Salvation between 8 and 9 (20-21) was interrupted last week, and Marvels.. between 18-19 sunday.. The past two nights, rebooting after nine. Today interrupting the last long ep of Survivor, thanks DSTV. Few ep behind, no spoilers please. (Should have set my VCR :) )

Optimist 2017-10-25 07:06

You're fortunate to have got away with that much - sometimes mine and others get stuck at the start of the reboot, like this morning, it would have been the end of any further recordings for you.

I'm giving this another month or so, then it's end of year for MC and by that stage I would choose to replace as I can afford it (second-hand). Not that I expect it to come right, just still hoping a plan will be made while other problems exist with the new system.

Geoff D 2017-10-25 07:09

2017-10-25:

Midnight:
Both decoders rebooted just after midnight.

06:00:

Decoders rebooted. Locked up with E38-32 on TV2 SD PVR.
TV1 locked up and decoder not responding to remote commands.
Required a second power cut to reboot.

Midday:
At exactly 12:10, the SD PVR rebooted with end result a frozen TV1 and a E38-32 error on TV2.
ONLY way out is a second power cut reboot.

15:00:
Another round of reboots on the SD PVR! Three times before the decoder settled down.
18:10:
Here we go again! The same again ......

DPA1 2017-10-28 19:39

4th reboot now since 18:45. Useless.

DPA1 2017-10-29 22:54

22:51. Several times on 22:51 this past week, and now again on this exact time. 4 today.

Geoff D 2017-10-30 08:40

No difference for the 26, 27, 28, 29 th.
In fact, if anything the issue is getting worse.
Today has started with 2_reboot session this morning, one at 06:00, followed by another just after 7.

Red Baron 2017-10-30 14:37

Easyview

MC claims is for authentication that they require continuously. If I look at some of the complainants me inclusive (cheapskates LOL) they are on easyview which most of the channels is anyway free to air why is such a lot of authentication required?

DPA1 2017-10-30 22:53

22:51 exactly.

DPA1 2017-11-01 22:53

22:51 now, and last night. Exactly.

JOHHNYD 2017-11-02 00:09

THESE SD PVR REBOOTS IS VERRRRY IRRRITATING

JOHHNYD 2017-11-02 00:14

BOUGHT THIS DECODER FOR A 3 VIEW ENVIRONMENT WITH MY HD PVR...............WHY O WHY MUST I SPEND MORE ON NEW DECODERS...............MC PLEASE SORT. THE SATISFACTION ON DESTROYING IT ON THE PAVEMENT IS ON THE WAY.

Geoff D 2017-11-02 09:03

After the other issue I was having I can now report that the unwanted reboots have started up again in earnest.

BUT, I have a better idea of what is going on now.

In the process of working on the other problem I came across a new issue that is affecting older installations with TWIN LNBs and 2 x 4 and 2 x 6 MS's.

In the past, the power supplies to the LNBs and MS's in the above configuration was perfectly stable AND did NOT vary. Which meant that the LNBs did not disconnect. Now the new software on the decoders momentarily interrupts the power supply because the tuners are being switched OFF during the authentication process, which means the decoders cannot receive anything for a few seconds. This then leads to all sorts of failures and one decoder impacting on another.

This is probably the Primary reason behind all these reboots!

Where are the people who know how such systems need to be set up and how to evaluate software changes?

I cannot believe that anyone would think that it is acceptable to come up with software changes that breaks the absolute basics of satcomms. You NEVER cause an LNB to lose power EVER!!!!

DPA1 2017-11-02 22:58

I suspected some developer/testing not happening from the start. 22:51 reboot again. No splitters on my side - installed 2006. Replaced LNB once.

Well I am forced to sign up for the explora, took them 4 days just to phone me.

MC Marietjie 2017-11-03 11:16

Suggest those who are reporting on this thread, also read Geoff's excellent post here: [url]http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?p=368775#post368775[/url]

DPA1 2017-11-03 22:52

22:51 exactly. And since my old Panasonic 1800w hifi speakers connected to the SDPVR itself, it is like this DOEF, gone.

Geoff D 2017-11-06 08:42

Another weekend ruined by these never ending network rescans so many that there is no pint in listing them.

Movie after movie destroyed for live viewing.
:mad::mad:

DPA1 2017-11-07 22:58

22:51 reboot last night and tonight. Cannot report weekend, was away. Last Kingdom messed up, and no repeat, so another series lost. Still waiting for the second step of the price lock delivery, 4 days past.

DPA1 2017-11-12 19:32

DSTV service just amazing, 5 reboots since 17:00. Watching Friends, with large gaps.

Geoff D 2017-11-14 12:49

SD PVR really having a hard time today.

Geoff D 2017-11-15 08:59

SD PVR now off air. Can't complete the reboot cycle...

MC cannot dodge the facts that the moves are absolutely deliberate. There is physically nothing wrong with the hardware. It is simply that the sdpvr can no longer handle the authentication demands imposed on it, something that is completely under MCs control.
The decoder reboots perfectly normally with the SC removed. As soon as the SC is inserted the process stops.

bothafire 2017-11-18 03:39

They are not dodging the fact they are reveling in fact that they are deliberately causing continuous reboots to force purchase of their Explora. How is it possible that SDPVR subscribers can have days of no reboots then suddenly they are attacked with numerous reboots 3 reboots within 20 minutes of each other. A pause then more reboots anything up to 8 in a 24 hour cycle.
If this happened in the EU or USA they would be facing massive claims.
They could fix this but won't because they can get away with this practice in SA.
We signed a contract when we purchased the SDPVR decoders and guess who is defaulting on the contract DSTV our debit orders and money is accepted every month and we are not receiving the service we are paying for.
Disgust is a polite word for DSTV service.

Glock26 2017-11-18 19:03

Yep...pretty unusable the past few days. Takes about 6 or 7 reboots/rescans before I can start watching again.
Got an sms reminder about my annual once off payment coming up for renewal end of the month.
You can guess what I told them.
Easier to download a ton of stuff and watch off usb now...my days of battling with this **** are almost over.

Glock26 2017-11-19 18:30

You guys really ****** it up good and proper this time, didn't you?
After weeks of showing you could actually make it work if you like....it has been days of endless reboots, few of the rescans actually completing.
Takes on average over an hour to get a picture, and then a while later..another reboot.
So while I still have a few weeks of paid access, I am going to make things as miserable as possible for MC.
You don't get to mess up your customers lives and free time without any backlash.

Optimist 2017-11-19 18:57

Careful, everyone regular knows that most of the good content isn't available here from any other legal source and MC are obliged by contract to assist with prosecutions and have done so in the past.

There's nothing more that we can do, doubt more than a couple of people even read this thread still, and I'm sure MC aren't trying to torture us - just going about changes they feel they need to make which then affect us. Sad ending to a great machine :(

Glock26 2017-11-19 19:40

Let them come...I dare them. They can contact me, and I'll tell them how to get hold of me. Oh...and I am now on reboot number 23, about 2 hours without getting a single successful reboot. My evening is shot, my morning is screwed, and I am paying for something I am not getting.

Optimist 2017-11-20 12:08

Further MC feedback in case anyone's missed it: [URL="http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=40979"]About the SD PVR[/URL]