Forum

Forum (http://forum.dstv.com/index.php)
-   DStv Now (http://forum.dstv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Suggestion Box: DStv Now (http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=28047)

andrewgerm 2015-02-09 02:08

DStv Now app suggestions

MC Nic
Is there a channel where we can submit requests / suggestions for future releases?

I have a few
Starting with an 'aired date' for a show

MC Nic 2015-02-09 09:15

[QUOTE=andrewgerm;224387]MC Nic
Is there a channel where we can submit requests / suggestions for future releases?

I have a few
Starting with an 'aired date' for a show[/QUOTE]

Morning,

I'll make this thread a Sticky and we can use the forum.

I - literally - sit on desk behind the product manager so I can lean over and tap her on the shoulder with anything that comes up here.

Cheers

/me

MC Nic 2015-05-20 13:06

Suggestion Box: DStv Now

Hi guys,

Here's a place to put all your random suggestions for DStv Now, the product, the content, the service or even this section in the forum and your wonderful, amazing, tender-hearted mod ;)

(Note, some suggestions may be moved as they will have to be considered by different departments)

No judgment zone here...but trolls will be mercilessly slain.

Cheers

/me

Foggy 2015-05-22 04:42

Hi,

Going to ask the ? but guessing user base for this is too small to warrant development.

Will we ever other than being able to schedule a remote recording have more functionality available to us over Wifi / remote access?

Would be nice to see also playlists, the conflicts that are mentioned 'have been fixed' when I remotely schedule a recording, so what got rescheduled and to when?

Thanks
Russ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alric 2015-05-22 07:09

waiting for Banshee S3 and Hannibal S3

Geoff D 2015-05-22 07:14

[QUOTE=Foggy;244962]Hi,

Going to ask the ? but guessing user base for this is too small to warrant development.

Will we ever other than being able to schedule a remote recording have more functionality available to us over Wifi / remote access?

Would be nice to see also playlists, the conflicts that are mentioned 'have been fixed' when I remotely schedule a recording, so what got rescheduled and to when?

Thanks
Russ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Yes these would really be things I would like to see.

The ability to view:
Playlists,
Recording Schedules,
Reminders,
Alerts,
Decoder status.
BO and Cu

The ability to Control:

STBY
Reboots,
Set recordings ( already available),

MC Nic 2015-05-22 10:07

[QUOTE=Foggy;244962]Hi,

Thanks
Russ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Morning Foggy,

Thanks for the suggestions. I've heard some of these being mentioned in product meetings but this type of functionality would be quite far away.

Even so, I'll send your feedback to the development teams...you never know ;)

Nic.

MC Nic 2015-05-22 10:08

[QUOTE=Alric;244968]waiting for Banshee S3 and Hannibal S3[/QUOTE]

ME TOOO!!

[IMG]http://memecrunch.com/meme/3MCTZ/excited-picard/image.jpg[/IMG]

snakes 2015-09-25 09:22

The DSTV now app allows one to remote record which I use alot
Is there anyway MC can add remote download on the DSTV now app
Instead of watching on the APP allow us to download this to the explora or basically sending the explora a command to Download this.
Obviously it will need to be a movie or series that is available on the CU+
Maybe have an option that allows one to view what is only available on the CU+ for explora and then we can remote download
If this feature is available then please show me how :)

The same can happen with boxoffice. I havent yet used this but If I would want to then maybe allow remote downloads of BO to the explora instead of PC or APP

Can I have votes here please :)

Optimist 2015-09-25 10:25

[QUOTE=snakes;263816]Can I have votes here please :)[/QUOTE]

Sound great but don't expect much re votes, I think Forumites are tired of voting... we used to have polls (before that got out of hand :rolleyes:), was somewhat overdone.

MC Nic 2015-09-25 10:37

[QUOTE=Optimist;263870]Sound great but don't expect much re votes, I think Forumites are tired of voting... we used to have polls (before that got out of hand :rolleyes:), was somewhat overdone.[/QUOTE]

Take my word...everything you guys bring up here is sent on the relevant people. I've got a reputation here as "oh THAT guy again".

snakes 2015-09-25 12:15

[QUOTE=MC Nic;263876]Take my word...everything you guys bring up here is sent on the relevant people. I've got a reputation here as "oh THAT guy again".[/QUOTE]

I like giving suggestions where I see fit so that would be nice to see such features yes but I don't expect everything to happen at click of a button
Development costs time and money and changes etc can be a long process.

MJ777 2015-11-04 15:46

Hi, trying to use DSTV NOW app and get a connect ID, but once registration e-mail is sent and I need to verify e-mail, it states page might have been removed or temp unavailable. Unavailable for days now. Please help.

MC Nic 2015-11-04 15:48

[QUOTE=MJ777;271007]Hi, trying to use DSTV NOW app and get a connect ID, but once registration e-mail is sent and I need to verify e-mail, it states page might have been removed or temp unavailable. Unavailable for days now. Please help.[/QUOTE]

Hi MJ777,

I think I welcomed you in the PM you sent me. :)

I'll get the guys to look into this.

Apologies.

MC Nic.

MJ777 2015-11-04 15:49

DSTV NOW

Is DSTV NOW app working 100%?

MJ777 2015-11-04 15:51

[QUOTE=MC Nic;271013]Hi MJ777,

I think I welcomed you in the PM you sent me. :)

I'll get the guys to look into this.

Apologies.

MC Nic.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Nic, appreciated!

MC Nic 2015-11-04 15:51

[QUOTE=MJ777;271016]Is DSTV NOW app working 100%?[/QUOTE]

I have no reason to believe otherwise.

MC Nic 2015-11-05 13:19

HI MJ777,

Please PM me the e-mail address you're trying to register. Also, what device are you having this issue on? A mobile/tablet or PC?

Thanks

MC Nic.

RyanDavid 2016-02-23 13:57

I missed the end of the last episode of "The Wire" as the broadcast time moved a bit from when I set the recording, so I thought I'd quickly watch the end on the DSTV Now website (using my laptop, Windows 10, Firefox).

Although I can watch it fine, there is no way to jump to the part I need to see, so I've now got it playing in the background until it gets to the part I've missed. I tried clicking on the progress bar like with other online players - nothing. There are no fastforward controls or anything like that, just a very simple pause/play and fullscreen button. I don't remember having this problem in the past, but if this is intended can we please get a few more controls? I have the latest versions of my browser and Flash. I also didn't want to download the whole thing to a desktop player as I only wanted to catch the last ten minutes, and have also had problems with the desktop player in the past.

RyanDavid 2016-02-26 14:48

If anyone is actually reading this thread I checked again, and now I can jump to the right place on the DSTV Now website player. Problem is, now the previous episode of the Wire (16/2) is not there even though it should still be available and on the series front page the icon shows that there are multiple episodes. I eventually gave up last week as the player kept restarting every ten minutes and I couldn't jump forward so never got to the part I'd missed.

And now I just tried to use a different browser (Edge, not Firefox) but that's even worse as it just says the videos are "corrupted" every time. So my suggestion is to please get someone competent to sort out your site as this is an absolute shambles. I give up.

immy906k 2016-04-22 10:57

DSTV NOW APP FOR OPERA TV

please create us dstv now app for opera tv platform.

Greg C 2016-06-15 21:38

DSTV now app as an Explora Remote Control

Hi, one of the most obvious and practical applications for the DSTV Now app would be to include the full Explora Remote Control functionality as part of the app.

There should ideally be a "Remote Control" section of the app that displays a graphic screen of all the standard Explora Remote control buttons, then if my phone/tablet and my DSTV Explora are on the same WiFi network, it would be extremely useful to use my phone as an Explora remote control, especially if I move around viewing environments in multiple rooms and can simply change channels, access the TV guide etc through the DSTV now app over WiFi.

The immediate benefits would be no more lost remotes controls, worrying about batteries, or having to buy additional remotes for multiple rooms in a house.

Any plans to introduce this functionality sometime soon? Hope to get some feedback.

Regards
Greg

Optimist 2016-06-16 09:09

You'll then be interested in seeing this thread in the Remotes forum section Greg, an interim solution for at least some users: [URL="http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?p=301831#post301831"]Use PVR remote on Explora (from post #9)[/URL]

Greg C 2016-06-17 07:52

Thanks, checked it out, it doesn't do what I'm suggesting, which is to be able to control the Explora from my phone over WiFi, without the need for an IR/blaster hardware.

Any official response from DStv on this?

MC Pamela 2016-07-06 07:22

Hi, you can drop your suggestions right here on the Forum, I will make sure I share it with our content team. :)

Greg C 2016-07-17 14:40

Hi MC Pamela,

So any feedback from the content team on my request to add a "virtual Remote Control" screen to the DSTV Now app in order to control the Explora over a local WiFi network?

Thanks,
Greg

MC Pamela 2016-07-19 07:24

Hi Greg C, I will follow up with the DStv Now team, I will keep you updated.:)

bob_ 2016-12-11 15:22

I have subscribed to DSTV PREMIUM for 19 years, I use a PVR decoder at home, and I always use CatchUp on now.dstv.com.

But my holiday decoder is a new HD single view decoder,
which means I cannot use the website now.dstv.com while on holiday,
becuase the website says "Upgrade to DSTV Premium PVR", "You must be a DStv Premium PVR customer to view this video".

My PVR decoder is active the whole year, just not in December when I use my holiday decoder(HD single view).

Please don't tell me to take my PVR with me wherever I go.
The whole point of the website (now.dstv.com) is that you don't need a decoder in your suitcase wherever you go, when instead you can use your laptop, ipad or phone.

Please allow the system to add a PVR package to a HD or SD single view decoder so that I can continue using now.dstv.com during December holidays.

Surely it's a possible for DSTV to allow.

DSTV is not receiving the R85 PVR fee while I am on holiday in December.

DSTV can receive R1 million per month for every 12 000 Single view HD & SD decoders that subscribe to PVR at R85 per month.

It seems as if DSTV is trying to use the now.dstv.com website to force people to buy a PVR decoder, but I already own a PVR decoder.
It's a senseless objective. Surely almost all Premium subscribers already own a PVR.
If I'm a premium subscriber then why can't I use the website now.dstv.com?
I am happy to pay R85 to access the website, if DSTV would allow it.

The website has nothing to do with recording hardware and software inside a decoder.

Rather allow people to buy a PVR subscription, instead of multiple PVR decoders.

Subscription revenue is more valuable than hardware revenue.

The PVR decoder is subsidised, and there is a huge loss and no profit on the sale of another PVR decoder which is switched off for almost the entire year.

If I want my ipad to stream from the website now.dstv.com, then I need to buy DSTV's PVR Digital Video Recording hardware and software for my lounge? That doesn't make sense.
My ipad does not record the CatchUp stream from the website.
Surely I can buy the PVR subscription to access the website, without buying the PVR hardware & software.

There is not legal reason or technical reason that you need a PVR decoder to use the website to CatchUp on an Ipad?

Unless the R85 goes towards 3rd party intellectual property / licensing of PVR functionality.

If I don't own a PVR decoder, then surely I can still pay R85 per month to use the website now.dstv.com

DSTV should take the R85 whether or not people have PVR decoders. And say the R85 is for PVR and/or website access.

Separate the R85 revenue between PVR decoders and non-PVR decoders in your financial system if you need to.

Or name the R85 webiste subscription something else instead of "PVR".
Becuase watching TV on a website is definitely not the same as recording it on a decoder to playback later.

With holiday switching, DSTV already allows partial payment or pro rata payment of the monthly R85 when people switch PVR on and off between PVR and non-PVR decoders.

The website now.dstv.com should be available to Premium subscribers regardless of what decoder they have in their lounge.

I'm not complaining that I have to pay R85.
I'm complaining that the system is not allowing me to pay R85.
I will happily pay more than R85 to access the website. Now.dstv.com is the best thing DSTV has ever done.

Again: Please allow the system to add a PVR package to a HD or SD single view decoder so that I can continue using now.dstv.com during December holidays.
Or allow Premium subscribers to pay a separate R85 PVR fee if they can't add it to their single view decoder.

Thank you.

Optimist 2016-12-12 11:46

Your post has some interesting merit Bob, why should someone going to a holiday home have to also invest in a PVR for that if its functionality is not otherwise of use, or have to lug the home decoder around (and which some may still want for use at home). I think (but don't actually know) that the main problem is going to be studio rights issues re MC not delivering a perceived separate On Demand service, and the finicky adjustment involved in allowing for some sort of exception for this.

In the meantime here's a way around it for you - I don't think MC will mind this unusual idea as it's fully above board with their requirements :)
Find or buy a broken PVR, you should be able to get one that's dirt cheap at a place like junkmail.co.za
Don't go for a SD PVR due to its age, I think your best bet is a 2P or 4P.
Once in your name have MC connect it as your secondary XtraView decoder attached to your holiday home primary decoder. You don't even need to physically connect it for this, just make out as if all goes well if asked any such questions. The existing primary will continue to fully work regardless, and the "attached" PVR can just be stored somewhere.

You will then obviously have online access whenever the "combination" holiday home setup is activated :D

bob_ 2016-12-12 17:32

Thanks for the advice Optimist. I will try setup XtraView with the PVR decoder and single view decoder.

Ermeric1 2016-12-31 12:41

I don't use DSTV Now anymore due to endless buffering. My suggestion? SORT IT OUT or lose a customer.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

speedster 2017-01-09 20:43

Are there any plans for an Android TV app in the near future?

speedster 2017-01-18 11:33

[QUOTE=speedster;327279]Are there any plans for an Android TV app in the near future?[/QUOTE]

Knock, knock?

Kbrad 2017-03-04 11:25

Apple TV 4 App

An Apple TV 4 DSTV Now app is hopefully in development so once content rights are aquired for this viewing experience it can be released soon by DSTV would be great. DSTV needs to move away from live channels to this method as the younger generation don't associate with having to watch live tv channels.

PasswordIsTaco 2017-03-18 11:15

[QUOTE=speedster;327279]Are there any plans for an Android TV app in the near future?[/QUOTE]

Still no feedback on this?

GremlinSA 2017-05-26 19:51

So it looks like the Suggestion box here has gone quiet... But I have a reasonably big request..

It would be great to be able to set devices as primary or secondary.. Every device I've linked to DSTV Now has full access to all settings and account info..

I'm contemplating linking up the kids Phones so they can watch their toons and kidie shows, however it would be ideal if I could some how set that device to be a secondary type device, IE: they can view and download shows from it, however they do not have access to account info, Decoder reset's, or the ability to remove other devices from the account..

I'm concerned about how kids like to fiddle with things and may just try to reset the Explorer while it's busy recording or decide to remove my tablet from the service..

Also I don't quite like the idea that they can view all the transaction history on my account.. (there is no reason for them know or see how much I'm paying for DSTV services)..

I'm sure that many of the App users out there have similar concerns...

amerrycan 2017-05-29 12:47

I have a suggestion that does not seem to have been mentioned here yet:

The ability to "favourite" or "follow" shows, with a corresponding favourite list in the menu

So if I like something, I can favourite it, and when I go to my favourties list, it would show up there together with the latest available episode of that show, so you don't have to go and search for the same thing over and over again

Luke7777 2017-05-29 13:38

[QUOTE=amerrycan;347226]I have a suggestion that does not seem to have been mentioned here yet:

The ability to "favourite" or "follow" shows, with a corresponding favourite list in the menu

So if I like something, I can favourite it, and when I go to my favourties list, it would show up there together with the latest available episode of that show, so you don't have to go and search for the same thing over and over again[/QUOTE]Been asking for this on the Explora as well... for ages

Simon 2017-07-09 09:18

For Mac users.

Please can [URL="https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206997"]Picture in Picture[/URL] be implemented.

Also, the TV Guide is almost impossible to navigate on the touch pad of a Mac.

Luke7777 2017-07-09 09:44

Did that yesterday on my iPad... women's cricket main screen and men's in the window :) Quite nice actually

Simon 2017-08-27 15:26

[QUOTE=Luke7777;353310]Did that yesterday on my iPad... women's cricket main screen and men's in the window :) Quite nice actually[/QUOTE]

Still waiting for it on the Mac. Nice to have the rugby on in the corner while one is doing something else.

deon.dup 2017-09-17 09:34

[QUOTE=Kbrad;334314]An Apple TV 4 DSTV Now app is hopefully in development so once content rights are aquired for this viewing experience it can be released soon by DSTV would be great. DSTV needs to move away from live channels to this method as the younger generation don't associate with having to watch live tv channels.[/QUOTE]

Any new status on this post?

ratty 2017-09-26 21:57

Can we have the option to choose the quality of the video of the app? I am running a 50 mbps line at home at the quality is still in standard definition. It would be nice to have that as an option in settings, to force the quality. Right now its a max limit not a forced settings.

chrisc 2017-10-12 19:59

Saving selected channels

Are you able to save the channels you wish to browse instead of having to select the groups you want to browse through?

On an Explora you can add just the channels you want to the program list and once there, it stays like that

On DSTV now, each time you log in, it has remembered none of the configuration selected in the previous visit

The person I spoke to at the call centres told me I was doing it incorrectly, then proceeded to tell me exactly the way I have been doing it!

Terminator 2017-12-20 07:58

Would it be possible to access our decoder's content remotely in future ??

Terminator 2018-01-02 08:36

any feedback on this?

Simon 2018-01-05 12:26

Still waiting for Picture in Picture mode for DSTV Now on the Mac.

Would be awesome to have the cricket up in a little window while I work.

deon.dup 2018-01-08 09:18

Would be great to have a DSTV Now App on Apple TV. Would be even greater if it could work like Netflix/Showmax and not like normal TV. Pay as you go for Sport would be the cherry on the cake. Any chance MC?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Terminator 2018-01-12 08:25

Would be great if MC actually responded on these suggestions

MC Marietjie 2018-01-12 09:05

Hi @Terminator - we pass these on to our teams responsible for development on DStv Now. Can't really comment on each and every one.

Luke7777 2018-01-12 09:16

[QUOTE=MC Marietjie;375651]Hi @Terminator - we pass these on to our teams responsible for development on DStv Now. Can't really comment on each and every one.[/QUOTE]:) No response since 2016-07-19 isn't really about commenting on each and everyone. So I too think it's fair to expect some feedback every once in a while. MC Nic was at least actively involved in this thread.

Terminator 2018-01-12 09:37

MC Marietjie, as stated by Luke7777, I don't expect response on everything suggested every day...but at least acknowledgement of the ideas and not once in 3-4 months...:)

Simon 2018-01-13 16:29

[QUOTE=Terminator;375675]MC Marietjie, as stated by Luke7777, I don't expect response on everything suggested every day...but at least acknowledgement of the ideas and not once in 3-4 months...:)[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

So, a suggestion for the DSTV Now iOS App.

The 15 second fast forward / rewind buttons are missing during video playback.

ratty 2018-02-02 09:47

Really wish I could change channels on the AndroidTV app without exiting the channel. Maybe a feature could be added whereby if you press the down button all the channels would be visible. Also, it would be nice to know what program is on when the channel is playing. You have to exit the channel to find out.

MC Grace 2018-02-04 17:10

[QUOTE=ratty;378282]Really wish I could change channels on the AndroidTV app without exiting the channel. Maybe a feature could be added whereby if you press the down button all the channels would be visible. Also, it would be nice to know what program is on when the channel is playing. You have to exit the channel to find out.[/QUOTE]

Hi ratty

Your suggestion has been shared with the dev team for consideration :).

ian16th 2018-02-06 10:43

Is there a way that a mobile device, such as a laptop, can be connected to DSTV Now, but not have access to a subscribers profile and account details?

I do not want my children to have this access, but they want access to DSTV Now.

Optimist 2018-02-06 10:49

[QUOTE=ian16th;378855]Is there a way that a mobile device, such as a laptop, can be connected to DSTV Now, but not have access to a subscribers profile and account details?

I do not want my children to have this access, but they want access to DSTV Now.[/QUOTE]

I think device registration & access uses a new password and not your DStv profile's password, but not sure so can someone confirm please.
(EDIT: May not help, all devices may be able to access the profile.)

Using DStv Now on a laptop may be more of a problem.

If inconclusive here, chat to a DStv Now specialist at the call centre - found them to be very competent. Please then still let us know.

MC Marietjie 2018-02-06 13:50

[QUOTE=ian16th;378855]Is there a way that a mobile device, such as a laptop, can be connected to DSTV Now, but not have access to a subscribers profile and account details?

I do not want my children to have this access, but they want access to DSTV Now.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately you will not be able to stream or see any content - your account needs to be authenticated in order for DStv Now to display. There is a kids section that you can give them access to, which then limits them streaming all channels and watching all Catch Up content. Depending on how old they are.

ian16th 2018-02-06 15:38

Marietjie,

[FONT=&quot]I understand that my a/c needs to be authenticated.

Thinking about it, I see that what I am asking for is a second level of password protection after the a/c authentication.[/FONT]

Luke7777 2018-02-06 21:12

What is there in the profile/account info accessible from DStv Now that you worry about ? Just had a look on my desktop and couldn't see anything 'dangerous'

ian16th 2018-02-07 15:51

[QUOTE=Luke7777;378993]What is there in the profile/account info accessible from DStv Now that you worry about ? Just had a look on my desktop and couldn't see anything 'dangerous'[/QUOTE]

Anyone logged in can change things, such as passwords and e-mail address.

Luke7777 2018-02-07 16:24

[QUOTE=ian16th;379143]Anyone logged in can change things, such as passwords and e-mail address.[/QUOTE]
They'll only do once.... and then be without it for the rest of (the year/their life) :D

Maybe MC can implement OTP for those changes

ian16th 2018-02-07 16:42

Setting up a OTP system is too complicated for this simple application.

A 2nd level of password protected authority will do the job.

Luke7777 2018-02-07 18:17

Parental authority should be easier :D

Optimist 2018-02-07 18:18

[QUOTE=Luke7777;379188]Parental authority should be easier :D[/QUOTE]

It's karma for what we did to our parents :D

ian16th 2018-02-07 19:16

With mobile devices this is not restricted to parental authority.

Mobile devices can be used by many people. I used the children initialy, but thinking about it, the problem is bigger.

Luke7777 2018-02-08 06:52

You can still only have 4 mobile devices linked to your DStv Now, so giving access is all up to you. You either trust them or you don't.

But I hear your pain , and additional authentication on profile info is not a bad idea :)

FIFO 2018-02-14 13:37

Can't you guys create a tool tip text function so that when you hover around a title its info can actually pop up instead of having to press on the title to read the info. Its time consuming

Chido 2018-02-14 19:47

Is there any way to measure data consumption on dstv now? For example: five hours viewing on dstv now will be how many megabytes consumed?

Optimist 2018-02-14 20:12

[QUOTE=Chido;380160]Is there any way to measure data consumption on dstv now? For example: five hours viewing on dstv now will be how many megabytes consumed?[/QUOTE]

Again, we can't really say if you have the same bandwidth quality in Nigeria.

Unfortunately if you confuse others with your questions the Mods may have to ask you not to post, we really can only help with some installation queries for you guys and even that is more difficult as you're much further north on the other satellite system which most here know nothing about.

But maybe a Mod can offer some response tomorrow.
I'm not going to involve myself further though.

Luke7777 2018-02-15 10:48

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Chido;380160]Is there any way to measure data consumption on dstv now? For example: five hours viewing on dstv now will be how many megabytes consumed?[/QUOTE]
An example of what we have here. Just a note, even low quality is miles better than that of the Drifta/Walka.

Optimist 2018-02-15 11:02

Another factor, in our country anyway - many of our online packages offer unlimited or at least a "soft cap" usage limit so this is (perhaps) less of an issue here.

But some help is now available for @Chido anyway, MC Kenneth has offered to get him connected to the right people in the one DStv Mobile thread.