Forum

Forum (http://forum.dstv.com/index.php)
-   General (http://forum.dstv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Death of a ladies' man (http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=36045)

Sandtonman 2016-11-11 11:04

Death of a ladies' man

1 Attachment(s)
Goodbye laughing Len, RIP.
One of my absolute favourite poet/musicians of all time :(
Cheers, K.

Krugie 2016-11-11 11:27

Very sad day for me.. so many amazing artists left us this year already - it is a musical annus horribilis... :(

Sandtonman 2016-11-11 11:38

[QUOTE=Krugie;319380]Very sad day for me.. so many amazing artists left us this year already - it is a musical annus horribilis... :([/QUOTE]

Completely agree, Krugie!
Maybe we're just getting old :eek:
Cheers, K.

beetle bailey 2016-11-11 12:38

Never was what I'd call a fan of Leonard Cohen but did like his song So Long Marianne. But yes, 2016 going down as a year when lots of "star" musicians have moved on. Leonard Cohen, Prince, Glen Frey of the Eagles and David Bowie. Those are just some that I can remember but I'm sure there are many others that can be added. All big stars. RIP.

MC Marietjie 2016-11-11 13:21

A true master with words! So sad.

Citanul 2016-11-11 13:28

I much confess to not being that familiar with Leonard Cohen, but he did strike me as being a little like Bob Dylan in that his strength was his songwriting, and sometimes his songs were done better by other people - Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah probably being the best-known example. But as Beetle said, this year has definitely been a bad one in terms of the loss of musical icons.

RNDM 2016-11-20 18:40

Anyone know if there is a tribute to the man on one of the channels??
If so please let me know.

Krugie 2016-11-20 19:17

[QUOTE=RNDM;320508]Anyone know if there is a tribute to the man on one of the channels??
If so please let me know.[/QUOTE]

I have not seen anything being advertised. This is not surprising with the selection of music channels we have available though - I don't think any of them ever featured his music.

I can very strongly recommend his "Live in London" DVD though - not sure whether it is available on Blu-Ray as well - but the show just highlights his humbleness and talent.

RNDM 2016-11-21 07:05

Thanks Krugie!

Sandtonman 2016-11-21 08:50

Hi RNDM, Look out for BBC4's "Songs from the road". A compilation from his 2008/9 world tour. Simply Brilliant!

I'm unsure if it has been published on Blue Ray/DVD but has been available on the BBC iPlayer; though not currently.

I'm lucky enough to have a recording that a good mate of mine in the UK made for me, a couple of years ago when it was last broadcast.

It is likely to reappear soon, following his death.

Check out this YouTube complilation [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jsNMXnwCiM[/url]

Cheers, K.

[COLOR="Red"][EDIT][/COLOR] Just found Songs from the Road on DVD. Available on Amazon. K

Krugie 2016-12-09 20:57

Quite an interesting David Bowie program on BBC Brit currently - David Bowie: Five Years. Repeated Sat 13:05 & 23:34 and Sunday morning 01:39.

RNDM 2016-12-10 07:48

Ja-nee!
I stumbled on it myself. Tnx for the repeat info!
I found the interviews with Brain Eno and Robert Fripp fascinating. (having been a King Crimson addict)
What characterised Bowie were the reincarnations of his art. The music for me was enough but no, he had to add all the performance act as well..
He was never going to be laid back!
Please post anything else you might come across like this..

Krugie 2016-12-11 12:59

[QUOTE=RNDM;323331]What characterised Bowie were the reincarnations of his art. The music for me was enough but no, he had to add all the performance act as well..[/QUOTE]

Absolutely! This program just reminded me once again how incredibly talented he was!

Sandtonman 2016-12-11 13:16

[QUOTE=Krugie;323319]Quite an interesting David Bowie program on BBC Brit currently - David Bowie: Five Years. Repeated Sat 13:05 & 23:34 and Sunday morning 01:39.[/QUOTE]

Also stumbled on it by accident. Excellent programme and lots of stuff about which I was not aware.

I see Greg lake also died a couple of days ago, following Keith Emerson in March.

It really has been a terrible year for the loss of musicians.
Cheers, K.

RNDM 2016-12-11 19:58

I didn't even hear about Keith Emerson.
What worries me is missing Chuck Berry or any one of those those R&R greats popping off..
Please keep me posted guys & gals!

Krugie 2016-12-24 18:40

2016 is not done with the musical world yet...

Status Quo guitarist Rick Parfitt has died aged 68.

Not music related, but really hoping Carrie Fisher pulls through after her heart attack. :(

Sandtonman 2016-12-25 10:01

[QUOTE=Krugie;325299]2016 is not done with the musical world yet...

Status Quo guitarist Rick Parfitt has died aged 68. [/QUOTE]

Hi Krugie, Happy Christmas!
Yip, another one bites the dust :(

We were so fortunate in the 60s and 70s growing up in South London.
The UK music scene was at its pinnacle IMHO
There was a local pub in Bexley (now a sterile chain hotel) called the Black Prince. It had a good sized integral hall for hire, which was used for discos on Thursdays and live bands on Sundays.

I saw a good few up-and-coming groups there over my teenage years. The Quo, Pete Green's Fleetwood Mac, John Mayall and the Blues Breakers, Julie Driscoll Brian Auger and the Trinity, The Moody Blues, Ten Years After, Slade, Free, to name some I can remember off-hand.

They were all, without exception, really good bands but, I remember the Quo very distinctly, (with S-QUO stenciled roughly on their equipment) they were probably the loudest (certainly [B]not [/B]the best!) and played up really well to the packed hall. Down the Dust-pipe was their current hit in mid 1970 when I saw them and they gave it a full tonk! Great entertainers.

We simply did not realise at the time that we were so privileged to be able to see so many great groups, locally, and for a couple of quid!

Cheers, K.

Optimist 2016-12-26 09:53

And another... :eek::eek:

George Michael (originally part of the group Wham) passed away yesterday :(:rolleyes:

Krugie 2016-12-26 12:23

Can this year just come to an end already?! The year the music died!

How lucky you were Sandtonman - very jealous! Those were the dry years in SA but I have seen amazing international shows in SA the last 30 years as well!

Citanul 2016-12-27 20:39

[QUOTE=Krugie;325299]Not music related, but really hoping Carrie Fisher pulls through after her heart attack. :([/QUOTE]

She didn't. :(

Sandtonman 2016-12-31 10:35

[QUOTE=Citanul;325575]She didn't. :([/QUOTE]

Nor did her Mum! :(

Optimist 2016-12-31 14:12

One more for the 2016 road of gloom - the original Beetles manager, Allan Williams, has just gone through the door.

Let's all hold our collective breath until the year's over :(
(Later than you may think - 15:00 tomorrow, see the lounge for details.)

Optimist 2017-01-02 11:47

There was one other celebrity death yesterday, but he was an old man of 84 - the priest in the now ancient M*A*S*H series.

What a year! :rolleyes:

Krugie 2017-01-03 12:44

I also only recently learnt that the artist Black (What a wonderful life - 1986) died in a car crash in Ireland in January 2016.

Sandtonman 2017-01-08 21:32

Just seen that Peter Sarstedt has died after a long illness, aged 75.
'Where do you go to my lovely' was his UK number one hit in 1969. It won the Ivor Novello award for best song.
Cheers K.

OrangeII 2017-01-09 11:55

I believe, statistically, that 2015 was worse than 2016, and that both trail 2013 by quite some distance.

I think the reality is that between drugs-related, aids-related and good old old age we're in a period where a number of artists familiar to us are going to be popping off.

Chuck Norris was also rumoured to have died in 2016. But he recovered from this minor annoyance the next day. :D

Citanul 2017-01-31 21:16

And another one gone because of cancer - John Wetton (Asia/King Crimson).

Sandtonman 2017-02-01 10:28

And, extending this to the theatrical and cinematic world, we will all miss the amazing actor John Hurt who died last week.
Who will fail to remember his fantastic performances in the Elephant Man, 1984 and the Naked Civil Servant?
Plus, of course, his brief but "explosive" performance as the unfortunate recipient of an Alien foetus, Kane, in the movie of the same name!
Cheers, K.

Krugie 2017-02-01 11:15

Since we are extending into the entertainment world, Mary Tyler Moore passed away on 25 January, aged 80. She was a legend in her time.

Citanul 2017-02-06 15:04

Moving away from entertainment, one that's not unexpected - Joost van der Westhuizen.

RNDM 2017-02-06 16:04

Hey, but Chuck Berry is still with us!

Krugie 2017-02-13 14:49

Not very well known in SA but the American Jazz singer Al Jarreau passed away yesterday aged 76. He won several Grammys and sang the theme some to Moonlighting and also performed on We Are The World. I quite enjoyed his 1983 song Mornin'.

Citanul 2017-03-19 06:44

[QUOTE=RNDM;330009]Hey, but Chuck Berry is still with us![/QUOTE]

Not anymore. He passed away yesterday.

RNDM 2017-03-19 07:07

Thanks for that.
I am now waiting to read the reviews to the grand daddy of R&R..

RNDM 2017-03-21 07:14

Well I haven't heard too many tributes thus far.. (Perhaps DSTV has a surprise feature on the icon??)
But to be fair this was a long time ago in the 1950's. I wasn't even a teenager then and not living in the US so I revived R&R with one of the revivals.
But here's what The Economist has to say:
[url]http://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2017/03/drifting-heart[/url]

Sandtonman 2017-04-17 11:32

Goodbye Bruce -- Mr Tambourine Man!

Here is the obituary of Bruce Langhorne, the man who blew off half of his hand making a home-made rocket as a boy; yet went on to be an accomplished guitarist and pianist.
He inspired Bob Dylan to write Mr Tambourine Man!

Well worth a read whether you are a fan of his work, or not.

[url]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2017/04/16/bruce-langhorne-original-mr-tambourine-man-obituary/[/url]

([COLOR="Red"]EDIT[/COLOR]: Sorry, the full article is only available if you are a Telegraph subscriber. But both his life history and obituary are readily available if you google his name. Fascinating character! and highly influential.

Cheers, K.

RNDM 2017-04-19 10:15

Presumably a solo artist??
I can't say I remember him..

Citanul 2017-05-18 10:50

Chris Cornell (singer of Soundgarden and Audioslave as well as a solo artist) has passed away at the age of 52. While I can't ever claim to have been that big a fan, he did contribute to the musical backdrop of my teens.

Krugie 2017-05-18 13:40

[QUOTE=Citanul;345051]Chris Cornell (singer of Soundgarden and Audioslave as well as a solo artist) has passed away at the age of 52. While I can't ever claim to have been that big a fan, he did contribute to the musical backdrop of my teens.[/QUOTE]

He was very talented and a true legend in my eyes - will be sorely missed! :(

beetle bailey 2017-05-23 16:25

Just seen that Roger Moore has also passed away from cancer at the age of 89.

Optimist 2017-05-23 17:33

[QUOTE=beetle bailey;346077]Just seen that Roger Moore has also passed away from cancer at the age of 89.[/QUOTE]

Truly the end of an era, felt very strange to hear this as he's always been young in my mind.
Although thinking about it he looked suddenly old & feeble on the Graham Norton show a few months back.

Sandtonman 2017-05-24 08:07

[QUOTE=beetle bailey;346077]Just seen that Roger Moore has also passed away from cancer at the age of 89.[/QUOTE]

Yes! Great actor and great personality! A true "National Treasure"
I remember him in The Saint on ITV, when I was a kid, well before his time as James Bond. RIP
Cheers, K.

Krugie 2017-05-24 09:42

[QUOTE=Sandtonman;346251]
I remember him in The Saint on ITV, when I was a kid, well before his time as James Bond. RIP
Cheers, K.[/QUOTE]

Good memories yeah! I never realiesd he was born 3 years before Sean Connery!!

RNDM 2017-05-26 17:25

He managed to pull off that diffident English superior manner with some style. Not easy to do consistently in front of the camera since it must appear spontaneous.
I reckon he spoofed up the James Bond character enough to stop (far too many) people taking it so seriously (but also not overdoing it).

Sandtonman 2017-05-28 10:59

Gregg Allman: R.I.P

Gregg Allman, founder of the Allman Brothers Band has died, aged 69

[url]http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/27/entertainment/gregg-allman-obituary/[/url]

When I was a youngster in the UK, all aspiring guitarists played the band's classic guitar track, Jessica, written by guitarist Dickey Betts, for his young daughter. This track, of course, later became the title track for BBC's Top Gear.
Cheers, K

Krugie 2017-05-28 11:18

[QUOTE=Sandtonman;347085]When I was a youngster in the UK, all aspiring guitarists played the band's classic guitar track, Jessica, written by guitarist Dickey Betts, for his young daughter. This track, of course, later became the title track for BBC's Top Gear.
Cheers, K[/QUOTE]

"Ramblin' Man" was another classic! R.I.P.

Sandtonman 2017-05-28 12:24

[QUOTE=Krugie;347091]"Ramblin' Man" was another classic! R.I.P.[/QUOTE] Yes indeed; an excellent track. Cheers, K.

Citanul 2017-10-03 09:10

Tom Petty has passed away following cardiac arrest. Initial reports of his death were premature, as he was on life support for a bit, but it has now been confirmed.

Sandtonman 2017-10-03 09:20

[QUOTE=Citanul;364413]Tom Petty has passed away following cardiac arrest. Initial reports of his death were premature, as he was on life support for a bit, but it has now been confirmed.[/QUOTE]

Yes, saw that; only 66
Have been listening to the Traveling Wilburys on Spotify for an hour. 3-down; Roy, George and Tom
Cheers, K.

Krugie 2017-10-03 09:42

He was a legend in his field - R.I.P. !

Sandtonman 2017-11-07 16:03

Who knows where the time goes?

Well it's a year today since Leonard Cohen died and I subsequently posted this thread.

Just a heads up for any L C fans who may be reading.

There is a super 1-hour musical tribute narrated by Jeremy Paxman on BBC radio 2, called "How the light gets in".

The "BBC iPlayer Radio" app is free on the Play Store and the content is NOT Geo blocked; so you can listen completely legally :)

Really worth a listen plus, there is loads of great audio content available.

Cheers, K.

Krugie 2017-11-07 16:51

It was a sad day indeed. At least this week I will get to see Cat Stevens live before he also leaves us for the after-world! Another legend from the same era in my eyes despite all the controversy surrounding him. :cool:

Sandtonman 2017-11-07 18:45

[QUOTE=Krugie;369023]It was a sad day indeed. At least this week I will get to see Cat Stevens live before he also leaves us for the after-world! Another legend from the same era in my eyes despite all the controversy surrounding him. :cool:[/QUOTE]Hey Krugie, we are off to Cat S tomorrow. It's a family evening out, hosted by Dad. Though my kids are mid-30s they enjoy him as much as me!

I used to work in London very close to where his family café was. And where he frequently performed in local venues. But I missed out then. So I'm super excited to see him tomorrow. Would far rather be at Kirstenbosch than the Dome which I swore never to return to after Roger Waters. Acoustics were shocking and swimming in beer! At least tomorrow is fully seated.
Cheers K.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Krugie 2017-11-07 20:50

[QUOTE=Sandtonman;369056]Hey Krugie, we are off to Cat S tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Enjoy - I will be there Thu. And feel exactly the same about the Dome - almost missed Cat S because of that but gave in in the end. :D

Sandtonman 2017-11-09 10:06

[QUOTE=Krugie;369062]Enjoy - I will be there Thu. And feel exactly the same about the Dome - almost missed Cat S because of that but gave in in the end. :D[/QUOTE]

Concert was great! I won't spoil it for you by giving details; except to say, don't be deceived by the deceptively simple stage! And that he's gone back to his roots in London :)

Also they've done quite a bit to sort out the acoustics since we were last there (Roger Waters).
There are hundreds of long, black, sound-absorbing rectangular panels suspended around the circumference of the roof; Plus there is curtaining fitted in the wings to do the same.

While not the Royal Festival Hall, the acoustics are now acceptable. We had great seats, centre stage and quite far forward, in what has been called the golden circle; and where the acoustics were previously at their very worst. Basically "under the dome"!
Enjoy!

Cheers, K.

PS If you were thinking of eating at Northgate, get there by 5:30 at the very latest, otherwise you will have to queue forever to just get a table at any eatery. K

Krugie 2017-11-09 14:43

Great thanks - we have similar seats so really looking forward! We will be eating a bit further away from the area fortunately! :D

Krugie 2017-11-10 09:52

[QUOTE=Krugie;369197]Great thanks - we have similar seats so really looking forward! We will be eating a bit further away from the area fortunately! :D[/QUOTE]

And the show was BRILLIANT! :D:p

I think I will start a separate thread for general music discussions next time something worthy comes up (live shows, tv programs, music releases etc) to avoid side-tracking from the main focus of this thread - being people no longer with us!

Sandtonman 2017-11-10 10:38

[QUOTE=Krugie;369263]And the show was BRILLIANT! :D:p

I think I will start a separate thread for general music discussions next time something worthy comes up (live shows, tv programs, music releases etc) to avoid side-tracking from the main focus of this thread - being people no longer with us![/QUOTE]

Glad you enjoyed it too, Krugie :)
I agree about separate threads in the future. This discussion happened by accident.
Cheers, K.

beetle bailey 2017-11-10 11:11

I wasn't even aware that he was coming to South Africa until I saw a couple of weeks ago that he was going to be performing at Kirstenbosch. When I went to the website to find out just when it was that he was coming I saw that the show was already sold out. Whether, or not, I'd have gone if seats were available I don't know. Never been to a concert at Kirstenbosch as I prefer the theatre type of experience where one has a proper seat to sit on.

But would have liked to have seen him live. Cat Stevens.

Glad you two enjoyed the show.

Krugie 2018-01-15 20:19

The lead singer of the Irish band The Cranberries - Dolores O’Riordan - passed away unexpectedly in London aged 46.

Very sad news for me indeed. Their hit song Zombie is, according to me, one of the best rock songs ever written and they had many other memorable hits. So sad that I was unable to go when they toured SA some time ago. :(

Citanul 2018-01-16 10:52

I was never that much of fan of the Cranberries, but I was certainly familiar with them, being a teen into music in the mid-90s. 46 is definitely way too young (not that there's a good age at which to die).