Forum

Forum (http://forum.dstv.com/index.php)
-   Installation (http://forum.dstv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   DSTV WiFi connection problems with different IP address (http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=37732)

Cassady 2017-03-23 12:51

DSTV WiFi connection problems with different IP address

Hello all,

Been using the Wifi connector for ages without issue. All that has now changed. Would appreciate some assistance.

We switched to a WISP - as in Wireless ISP. The change required that I no longer use DHCP on the router side, but connect all of our devices via a static IP address. I've managed to do this with everything in the house, and all works as I should.

The underlying problem though, appears to be that I needed to change our IP address from 192.168.1.0 to 192.168.0.1...

Connected the device to my Macbook, using the cable and as per the instructions. When I'm in the Device interface, it's not letting me save the new IP address. It just hangs.

Doing the check on the decoder, it is 'seen' and listed as connected, but just clearly it's not connecting to the internet.

Is this something I need to spend time with through the call-centre, or can some kind soul help me here?

Cassady 2017-03-23 13:06

Sigh. Ok - now I cannot even connect it to my laptop. Cannot "see" the Wifi Connector with Ethernet plugged into my laptop.

Joy.

MC Marietjie 2017-03-23 13:09

Have you tried to de-register it all, then link it up again under the new IP address?

Cassady 2017-03-23 13:10

Nope - didn't know that was an option, Marietjie. How would I deregister it?

Cassady 2017-03-23 13:16

What IP address can I use to connect to the Wifi connector? Leaving it on "use DHCP" is not working.

Geoff D 2017-03-23 13:26

You are jumping the gun here. How do you normally run your router? Are all the devices you connect to the router on static IP addresses?

Have you tried to connect the decoder directly to a laptop? This will eliminate any issues you may have on the router?

One should take small logical steps when diagnosing problems, not try everything at once.

De-registering the decoder off your ID connect and account profiles will sort out any possible issues at MCs end but will not influence anything going on physically about the connectivity to the decoder.

I would first make sure the router is connecting properly to all other devices you have on your local LAN and then address the decoder issues, by following the manual configuration process.

For us to help we need to know how you normally configure any new device you want to connect to your Internet router. (Is it set for DHCP or not, etc?)

Cassady 2017-03-23 13:29

Will do, thanks for the help.

MC Marietjie 2017-03-23 13:43

Thanks got your email - have sent to the team to get in touch.

Cassady 2017-03-23 14:06

DSTV WiFi connection problems with different IP address

[QUOTE=Geoff D;337228]You are jumping the gun here. How do you normally run your router? Are all the devices you connect to the router on static IP addresses?

Have you tried to connect the decoder directly to a laptop? This will eliminate any issues you may have on the router?

One should take small logical steps when diagnosing problems, not try everything at once.

De-registering the decoder off you ID connect and account profiles will sort out any possible issues at MCs end but will not influence anything going on physically about the connectivity to the decoder.

I would first make sure the router is connecting properly to all other devices you have on your local LAN and then address the decoder issues, by following the manual configuration process.

For us to help we need to know how you normally configure any new device you want to connect to your Internet router. (Is it set for DHCP or not, etc?)[/QUOTE]

Geoff - thanks for trying to help.

Just replied in detail - but after submitting: nothing! :mad:

Will give it another go...

1.) All is working as it should, so the issue is not on the router side.

By way of background: We were running ADSL, with the standard IP address of 192.168.1.1. Our devices connected wirelessly to the router, that had DHCP enabled.

2.) We then switched to an WISP.

So we have a Ubiquiti aerial managing things, coming into the house via an ethernet cable into the WAN port. As a result, we were asked by the WISP to switch DHCP off on the router, switch the Router's IP address to 192.168.0.1, and use static IP addresses on all of our devices.

3.) So to set up a new device, I allocate a unique IP address to each device: 192.168.1.xx; 255.255.255.0 and Router address of 192.168.0.1, with 8.8.8.8 for DNS.

When the switch was made, the Wifi Connector obviously lost connection to the Internet - and I need to allocate a new, unique IP address to it as well.

This is where I am stuck.

4.) When I plug the Connector into my laptop using the ethernet cable and USB power cable, after switching off Wifi on my laptop, no matter what ethernet settings I play around with, [I]I cannot access the Wifi Connector's interface through Safari at [url]http://dstvwifi.local/[/url][/I]. It simply will not "see" the device. So I cannot add a new static IP address to it.

Hope this explains things??

Appreciate the assistance!

Luke7777 2017-03-23 14:58

Maybe the Macbook doesn't like the connector ?

Cassady 2017-03-23 15:01

[QUOTE=Luke7777;337264]Maybe the Macbook doesn't like the connector ?[/QUOTE]

I got in once - but I have a nagging feeling I caved and switched Wifi on after the Ethernet got me nowhere, and accessed it that way...

So they might have fought since then, and are now ignoring each other...

But need a way to fix this relationship. :)

Too much being missed without the Extraview/internet connection, so really want to get this sorted.

Luke7777 2017-03-23 15:11

Assuming no other laptop in the house.. i.e Windows :)

Cassady 2017-03-23 15:12

[QUOTE=Luke7777;337270]Assuming no other laptop in the house.. i.e Windows :)[/QUOTE]

Have a very old one lying around somewhere. You think that would be worth a shot?

Luke7777 2017-03-23 15:17

Can't lose anything. Otherwise you can probably configure it anywhere (neighbour) , since you're going to give it a fixed ip in any case. Just a hassle having to go back to your place to test it :D

Cassady 2017-03-23 15:39

[QUOTE=Luke7777;337279]Can't lose anything. Otherwise you can probably configure it anywhere (neighbour) , since you're going to give it a fixed ip in any case. Just a hassle having to go back to your place to test it :D[/QUOTE]

Ok. Firing up the old behemoth now, will give it a go. Runs Win 7, so not too far gone... :)

Cassady 2017-03-23 18:21

So. Before I could get the old Windows laptop up and running, the DSTV call centre called me back.

After a marathon 1hr25m call, we haven't managed to resolve things.

The gentleman who helped me stayed patient, and tried everything he could think of. At one point, I was optimistic we would make headway, since we finally managed to connect to the internet through the Wifi Connector, connected via Ethernet to my Macbook...

Unfortunately, those settings simply refused to carry over onto the Explora, in inputting the identical settings manually, simply didn't work. Our last roll of the dice was connecting an ethernet cable directly between the Explora and the router. The Explora is seen by the router, and it is indicated as being connected, but Internet connection is just a bridge too far...

Methinks not running via DHCP appears to be the underlying culprit... I surely cannot be the only one in the whole of ZA having to do things this way - but regardless, at a dead end for now. He will escalate things tomorrow, and hopefully get back to me. I will try and tinker a bit more in the interim.

Optimist 2017-03-23 18:47

Here's a small suggestion - may not help, but perhaps something simple has been overlooked by all so far;

Watch channel 197 for the constantly playing out tutorials on this. There are two different ones involved running side by side. As you'll see, which one is applicable depends on the type of router you have.

Geoff D 2017-03-23 19:37

Sounds more like the only option would be to restore the Explora to factory defaults ......

Somewhere in the evolution of all of this "stuff" the simple setups just do not work anymore

Cassady 2017-03-23 23:24

[QUOTE=Geoff D;337369]Sounds more like the only option would be to restore the Explora to factory defaults ......

Somewhere in the evolution of all of this "stuff" the simple setups just do not work anymore[/QUOTE]

Is that something I can do? Restoring to factory defaults? It wipes the whole thing clean then? That would presumably impact on the Extraview set up as well?

Optimist 2017-03-23 23:39

You could first try the factory defaults reset option that does it without formatting.
Settings \ System Settings \ Reset Decoder Settings - pick the second-last option.

[QUOTE=Optimist;289570]Some menu settings will reset so do make a note of them, possibly including the important following ones;
Home Network - in Settings \ Satellite Settings
Video & Audio - in Settings \ User Preferences
Remote Control - in Settings \ System Settings[/QUOTE]

If deciding to do the formatting as well later on - not a guaranteed solution.

MC Field Services 2017-03-28 08:53

Have you tried to reset the Wi-Fi connector at the back and than try to set it up again.
have you tried to set the connector on Dynamic as to signing a static IP.

Cassady 2017-03-28 09:05

[QUOTE=MC Field Services;338119]Have you tried to reset the Wi-Fi connector at the back and than try to set it up again.
have you tried to set the connector on Dynamic as to signing a static IP.[/QUOTE]

Yes and yes.

As mentioned, we had it working when connecting via ethernet to my laptop - but as soon as we connected it back to the Explora, it would lose those settings.

Entering those exact same details manually, did nothing. In the router's interface, the Explora is 'seen', but it registers no data being transferred through it - similarly, over on the Explora, the device is checked as "connected to router", but it cannot connect to the internet.

We tried all sorts of DNS and IP address options (including toggling between manual and DHCP), with no luck.
As a last resort, we even connected an ethernet cable directly between the Wifi Connector and the Router, with no success...

As an aside, I have been impressed with DSTV's service. They called when they said they would, without fail. Had a chat with someone from Cape Town yesterday morning, they are prepared to come out to site to try and sort it out - I just need to get back to them with a time that I will be able to go in late one morning - hopefully next week.

Will pop something up then.

I am [I]hoping[/I] that this is a simple case of getting the order right of resetting the Connector/rebooting the Explora/rebooting the router, to make something stick. They will be bringing a test unit along to confirm that the issue is not with the Connector or Explora.

The only thing I haven't tried is the Factory Reset - but the DSTV techie suggested we do that as a last resort, and when he is attendance, to fix things should anything go awry.

MC Field Services 2017-03-28 09:30

just wanna confirm that the DStv connector has both lights on stable white when connected to your explora ?
I would disable connected services and reboot the explora and than enable the connected services after its rebooted. if you have not tried this already

Cassady 2017-03-28 09:32

[QUOTE=MC Field Services;338143]just wanna confirm that the DStv connector has both lights on stable white when connected to your explora ?
I would disable connected services and reboot the explora and than enable the connected services after its rebooted. if you have not tried this already[/QUOTE]

Yes to the 1st.
Haven't tried the 2nd - is that an option under one of the menus? Will give that a go tonight if I can find it - thanks.

MC Field Services 2017-03-28 09:40

yes , menu blue button - settings - connected services .

Optimist 2017-03-28 09:43

BTW, please do give us feedback through to the end, it would then help us to help any others with the problem.

All the best with a quick resolution now :-)

Cassady 2017-03-28 09:52

[QUOTE=Optimist;338161]BTW, please do give us feedback through to the end, it would then help us to help any others with the problem.

All the best with a quick resolution now :-)[/QUOTE]

Will do. Will also try the reset i.r.o. the connected services tonight.

Geoff D 2017-03-28 10:34

Might have missed it but what operating system is on your computer? Not that this should influence anything between your router and the decoder.

Luke7777 2017-03-28 11:45

[QUOTE=Geoff D;338194]Might have missed it but what operating system is on your computer? Not that this should influence anything between your router and the decoder.[/QUOTE]Main one is a Macbook, was trying to resurrect a Win7 laptop to test

Cassady 2017-03-28 12:53

[QUOTE=Luke7777;338230]Main one is a Macbook, was trying to resurrect a Win7 laptop to test[/QUOTE]

Yes, thanks. Was interrupted by the DSTV call when trying to bring the Win 7 laptop to life [couldn't find the flippin' Ethernet connection option - think I needed to download drivers or something].

That said, as mentioned, [I]despite[/I] it being macOS Sierra [ ;) ], we managed to connect it to my MBP, and were able to surf the web - which, in my head at least, establishes that the Connector is still working, and something is happening between it/Explora and my Asus router...

MC Field Services 2017-03-29 09:57

also check that you don't have a fire wall enabled on the router.

Geoff D 2017-03-29 11:27

[QUOTE=MC Field Services;338335]also check that you don't have a fire wall enabled on the router.[/QUOTE]

If it is enabled then surely all that would be needed is to allow the protocol used by MC through. But to do that one needs to know what the protocol is ..... ;)

hilt_ctn 2017-03-29 14:13

Or put the decoder / wireless adapter in the DMZ. Flat out reckless of MC to suggest disabling the Firewall all together

Cassady 2017-03-29 20:59

Ok. So tried the Connected Services reset on the Explora, no go.

The thing is, each time I go back in to the Ethernet settings, it has reset. Manually putting the static IP address in, and no go.

One thing that I've noticed, is how when all is on 000.000.000, the first DNS setting, is sometimes at 192.168.2.254.

The DSTV chap on the phone told me to simply ignore it, as it is a default setting.

I mention this merely because I've yet to confirm this from my ISP - they've yet to respond to my queries. In my router, my WAN IP Address is set to 192.168.0.1 (as per their request - who simply said I needed to make my Router's IP address that). However, the default gateway - which is what I presume to be the Ubiquiti aerial that the router is connecting to the internet through), is set to 192.168.0.254.

That wouldn't be related to what the Connector is trying to reach, would it?

Optimist 2017-03-31 10:32

@Cassady - when you've met with the MC techies, or anything more, please do give us further feedback as it will help us help any others with this issue in future. Thanks, hope you can get it sorted out soon now :)

Cassady 2017-05-04 17:17

So, a bit of an update.

With Easter and time away - only managed to settle on a date that suited us both, early in last week.
The MC/DSTV technician popped round, and... nothing.

He brought his own test units along, both Decoder and Wifi Connector, so we've at least confirmed it's not an issue with my hardware.

As before, connects to the Router, but cannot get "out" onto the Internet.

Hopefully, will be able to set up another visit in next week, to see where things are at.

Luke7777 2017-05-05 09:46

I would've changed ISPs long ago :D Would be interesting to find out how other people using the same WISP are connected

Geoff D 2017-05-05 10:09

[QUOTE=Cassady;343231]So, a bit of an update.

With Easter and time away - only managed to settle on a date that suited us both, early in last week.
The MC/DSTV technician popped round, and... nothing.

He brought his own test units along, both Decoder and Wifi Connector, so we've at least confirmed it's not an issue with my hardware.

As before, connects to the Router, but cannot get "out" onto the Internet.

Hopefully, will be able to set up another visit in next week, to see where things are at.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luke7777;343339]I would've changed ISPs long ago :D Would be interesting to find out how other people using the same WISP are connected[/QUOTE]

So are you on a WISP? Did you check what protocols are used and if the WISP allows those protocols on its network? What about the ports on your router? Did you verify if the correct ports were open?

BUT as Luke says, your problems probably lie with the WISP connection.

Luke7777 2017-05-05 10:39

[QUOTE=Geoff D;343360]So are you on a WISP? Did you check what protocols are used and if the WISP allows those protocols on its network? What about the ports on your router? Did you verify if the correct ports were open?

BUT as Luke says, your problems probably lie with the WISP connection.[/QUOTE]Yip, check first post. All fixed IPs and stuff, no DHCP. Doesn't look like the WiFi connector plays well with that

AJNEL 2017-07-09 13:35

WORKING !!!!

Hi All
I had Fibre Installed and had similar issues.

USe the DSTV WIFI setup instructions as per [url]http://cdn.dstv.com/selfservice/documentation/how_to_connect_dstv_wifi_connector_manual.pdf[/url].

Step 1. Reset the WIFI connector using a pin at the back of the device.

Step 2. Connect the WIFI Connector to your laptop as per instructions above.

Step 3. Select your WIFI access point found during the scan and ensure your password is correct.

Step 4. Test the connection by clicking on "Start Browsing". This must work else your device will not work.

Step 5. Connect the LAN Cable to Explora.

Step 6. Go to your Explora / System Settings / Reset Decoder Settings / Reset Technical Settings /

Step 7. Go to Explora / System Settings / Connectivity Set-up / and all should work.

Best of luck