Forum

Forum (http://forum.dstv.com/index.php)
-   DStv Catch Up (http://forum.dstv.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Slow Download Speeds (http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=37287)

JacoHD 2017-02-19 20:08

Slow Download Speeds

So at first I was thinking maybe this is a problem my side. But I have tested the lan cable, rebooted the router etc.

I will put it in perspective: I have a 100Mbps Fiber Line, any other downloads on any other device except the Explora v1 is blazingly quick and painless.

Not when I use Catchup Plus. Then is downloading at 1MB per 5 seconds.

I checked on the Explora and it reports I have 100Mbps so I am I missing something? Randburg/Multichoice servers? Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Luke7777 2017-02-19 20:23

I've given up streaming directly from CU+. Sometimes it's fine, other times not. I just download it and watch a bit later

Sandtonman 2017-02-20 09:38

[QUOTE=JacoHD;331581]So at first I was thinking maybe this is a problem my side. But I have tested the lan cable, rebooted the router etc.

I will put it in perspective: I have a 100Mbps Fiber Line, any other downloads on any other device except the Explora v1 is blazingly quick and painless.

I checked on the Explora and it reports I have 100Mbps so I am I missing something? Randburg/Multichoice servers? Anyone else experiencing this problem?[/QUOTE]

Hi JacoHD.

The 100Mbps reported by your Explora is simply the wired Ethernet connection speed between your Explora and the DSTV Connector (or whatever other Ethernet Bridge you may be using)

However fast your Fibre WAN capability may be, your Explora will only perform as well as the device to which it is physically connected. The 100Mbps shown gives no indication of the wireless transfer rate between your Fibre Router and the DSTV Connector.

Please take a look at post 3 in this thread.
[url]http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?p=331626#post331626[/url]

So, short version: to be sure of what your Explora is seeing, you should do a speed test, using a PC, with the cable that normally plugs into the Explora. [B]TIP: Don't forget to turn wireless OFF on the PC when doing the speed test to ensure you are using the DSTV Connector as your network device. [/B]

All that said, I fully agree that the performance of MC's media servers is sometimes (time of day and day of week dependent) sluggish in the extreme; buffering sometimes occurs, particularly if watching in HD. I had exactly this problem on Saturday evening watching Childhood's End on Catch up plus.

To be sure it was not my issue, I ran a Speed test on a PC connected to the same Ethernet switch as the Explora. Results were absolutely fine.

We've seen this issue before and MC has never offered an adequate explanation. @GeoffD has done some testing on network routes to the media servers and has questioned the routing.

Cheers, K.

Luke7777 2017-02-20 09:54

[QUOTE=Sandtonman;331629]To be sure it was not my issue, I ran a Speed test on a PC connected to the same Ethernet switch as the Explora. Results were absolutely fine.[/QUOTE] I can vouch for this. My speedtest returned 30Mbps+ from the same switch (on a 40Mbps VDSL line)

ramsbod 2017-02-21 09:34

Same here

I also experience buffering when watching in HD. This is definitely a Multichoice routing problem. I wish more people would take the time to complain so that something can be done about this. This is not a premium service.

MC Pamela 2017-02-24 13:24

Hi JacoHD and @ramsbod

Apologies for the delayed response. Our tech team has advised that you perform a speed test with WiFi connector connected to your laptop and configured to connect to the internet. This way you can see at what speed is the WiFi connector distributing connection. Your PC WiFi should also be off as well. If get the optimum speed with the WiFi connector connected, then team will need to understand why the decoder is slowing down.

Also can you confirm if you are seeing the same for CU+ and ShowMax. This way we can try understand if the issue is with the services of the particular server.

Sandtonman 2017-02-24 15:36

Hi JacoHD,
As a start and to eliminate potential issues as you go.....
Please Take a look at this thread and follow the two tutorials in posts 3 and 13.
[url]http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=37281[/url]

Cheers, K

JacoHD 2017-02-24 21:34

Hey guys @Sandtonman @MC Pamela

Thanks for the replies. I am not on Wifi I am on LAN.

Therefore I should be getting great speed when downloading from Catchup Plus.

The LAN cable/connection is not the problem either when I plug in the same LAN cable from Explora V1 into my Laptop I get close to 100Mbps. I suspect the other posters are correct the Download Servers especially for HD is just not fast enough, which is ridiculous since this is local bandwidth number one and secondly this is suppose to be a "premium" product offering... #thisguy

Sandtonman 2017-02-25 09:50

Hi Jaco,
Yes; we have seen similar issues with buffering and " disconnected" messages when the Explora is physically on line and connected t a fast internet connection. The issues are more commonplace when watching in HD.

The network paths to the media servers apparently vary. I know that @GeoffD has done some work on this.

My SP is MWEB and I certainly see the issue at peak times. Mid-evening.

As users we have no certain way of locating the point of constraint; but MC does. It is aware of the issue.

Cheers, K.

JacoHD 2017-02-25 12:11

Thanks @Sandtonman, I see the issues constantly.

My Service Provide is Telkom and I tested it other streaming services like Netflix works wonderful at the same time when Catchup Plus plays up which just tells me that its a problem with the routing to the download servers or not enough bandwidth capacity on Multichoice's side.

Sandtonman 2017-02-25 13:08

[QUOTE=JacoHD;332919]...... I tested it other streaming services like Netflix works wonderful at the same time when Catchup Plus plays up ......[/QUOTE]

That's precisely the type of comparison I'm making too, Jaco.

Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BBC Iplayer; plus the "unmentionable" device in my study in Kent which is connected to a dedicated baby Humax PVR on Freesat, it's brilliant for live UK TV. We love Homes Under the Hammer, Countdown and particularly, Pointless!
All of the above services give me a terrific, spinner-free streaming experience, typically in HD.

And, before you ask; yes, I definitely have a current UK TV licence :) ( 145 quid! :( ). We spend almost half the year based there, each year now and are completely legit.

Cheers, K.

Luke7777 2017-02-26 20:57

Just to add to this one.. my SP is Afrihost. Although MC might be aware of this , they still won't really acknowledge that *they* might have a problem (as per post #6). We can run independent speedtests until doomsday comes. Maybe they should add a speedtest to the connectivity tab

Krugie 2017-02-27 10:29

I experienced this again on Saturday afternoon with a BBC Earth doccie in HD on my 100Mbps fibre line (M-Web). After the initial countdown waiting period only 13 seconds had buffered so eventually I had to pause to give it time to buffer a few minutes before continuing to watch.

caneman 2017-02-28 21:13

This is bad! Over two and half hours to download Episode 1 of Hunters which is 60Min.long:mad:
There is nothing wrong with my download speed and I can stream other sites.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 9756 kbps (1219.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 857 kbps (107.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 14 ms
Jitter: 1 ms
2017/02/28, 9:02:43 PM

Krugie 2017-03-01 12:00

We have had no response from MC regarding this apart from asking people to do speed tests? This is clearly a general hardware/setup problem on the side of MC and not linked to individual subscribers and their line performances.

JacoHD 2017-03-01 13:13

I cannot understand as a premium subscriber that locally we have such poor speeds. I have a fiber line, which streams and downloads content at the speed of light from oversea... but Catch Up Plus (many of my shows I watch fall under CU Plus) have to be so slow!

MC Pamela 2017-03-01 21:41

Hi All

Apologies for the delayed response. We've escalated the issues to the decoder support and CU team to look into and assist. Feedback will be posted once received.

Sandtonman 2017-03-02 12:40

[QUOTE=MC Pamela;333900]Hi All

Apologies for the delayed response. We've escalated the issues to the decoder support and CU team to look into and assist. Feedback will be posted once received.[/QUOTE]

Hi Pamela, we've been discussing this issue now for well over a year, on the Forum.

We've ascertained that it is not a function of the Explorae themselves, or of the Users' individual connectivity.

It appears to be a constraint in the complex internet routing to MC's media servers and/or constraints in the media servers themselves.

@GeoffD commented on the complexity of the routing in some detail.

We have had no feedback over this time form MC, despite previous "escalations", by MC Nic who was involved at the time.

Cheers, K.

Geoff D 2017-03-02 13:15

Yes unfortunately, much effort on my part to help MC analyse the problem has gone wasted. I even reached point where I could tell which "hop" and which devices on each side of that link were responsible. I showed how download traffic trombones between JHB and CT up to 3 times under certain conditions before it gets to the server that should be streaming the content. All wasted effort.

My solution? Have completely stopped using their download services. I have no intention of raising my hopes that it actually works again and ending up at the same point reached 3 years ago.

MC Pamela 2017-03-04 22:03

[QUOTE=Sandtonman;334050]Hi Pamela, we've been discussing this issue now for well over a year, on the Forum.

We've ascertained that it is not a function of the Explorae themselves, or of the Users' individual connectivity.

It appears to be a constraint in the complex internet routing to MC's media servers and/or constraints in the media servers themselves.

@GeoffD commented on the complexity of the routing in some detail.

We have had no feedback over this time form MC, despite previous "escalations", by MC Nic who was involved at the time.

Cheers, K.[/QUOTE]

Hi Sandtonman

Apologies for the delayed response.

Our VOD team implemented a change that was logged late last week with regards to our peering server infrastructure.

Kindly advise if there has been any noticeable improvements. Also PM us your smartcard numbers and contact numbers to forward to the team for further assistance.

Luke7777 2017-03-05 14:26

Ok, ask your VOD team how much that 30s wait period is suppose to download, as in minutes and seconds, in HD. Then we can compare...

JacoHD 2017-03-05 18:41

Thanks Luke7777

I am so frustrated with this but ja, what can you do.

I will send my details and see if that makes any difference, will report back.

steel_dog 2017-03-05 19:00

Hi all,
I'm experiencing the same issues.
CU+ 'Watch Now' typically works with no buffering. It's been completely erratic this past month to unworkable during the past few days. All other streaming services work perfectly. I'm on a 20mbps VDSL line with Afrihost. Line always hits 19mbps on local sites. I'm running the original Explorer via an ethernet connection.
Rgds
SD

steel_dog 2017-03-05 19:02

[QUOTE=Luke7777;334362]Ok, ask your VOD team how much that 30s wait period is suppose to download, as in minutes and seconds, in HD. Then we can compare...[/QUOTE]

When it's working I generally get 45s and it climbs very quickly. Now... 15s and it degrades to zero.

steel_dog 2017-03-06 20:21

Things are worse tonight. 9s of content then stalls.
Line's pushing through 19.3mbps on local tests.
MC... please assist.

steel_dog 2017-03-07 13:06

Hi MC. Any feedback on this?

[B]Further info[/B] - Streaming on Android and iOS just went belly up today. iOS times out with an error. Android waits... and waits. Problem was resolved when I switched from DSL to Mobile. Connected and played. So the issue appears to be on the DSL side of things. It's not my connection. I've tested this and I can stream 17mbps from YouTube - 4K video played without issue. So this could be a routing / peering issue. Drop me a line to discuss. Happy to run some tests.

As mentioned earlier in the post. My ISP is Afrihost - the same as JacoHD. I'm on a 20mbps VDSL line.

PS: Problem is affecting CU content. Live TV stream on DSTV Now was working.

steel_dog 2017-03-07 14:05

Okay someone rebooted something. :p CU+ is now working on DSTV Now and the Explorer.
Issue resolved around 13h45. Would be great if we could find the root-cause. Also have the AH folks looking into this.
Would be great if you could provide an IP address in the CDN. Could run a traceroute on that.
Would be great if the team could set up a speedtest file on the server. Would go some way to diagnosing.

Luke7777 2017-03-07 15:49

Will check a bit later how much the 30s gives me

steel_dog 2017-03-07 21:16

CU+ downloads have gone belly up again. Downloading absolutely nothing at the moment. Arrrggg.
@MC - please guys. We need MC involved to diagnose the problem.

steel_dog 2017-03-09 09:27

Hi Multichoice reps.
We do need assistance with this. The problem has not resolved.
I'm willing and able to perform any technical tests needed however need direction from MC.

Note: 19h56 last night. Downloaded 6s of content in the 30s buffer window. All other streaming services were performing perfectly at the time.

Thx

MC Pamela 2017-03-12 12:15

[QUOTE=steel_dog;334785]Hi Multichoice reps.
We do need assistance with this. The problem has not resolved.
I'm willing and able to perform any technical tests needed however need direction from MC.

Note: 19h56 last night. Downloaded 6s of content in the 30s buffer window. All other streaming services were performing perfectly at the time.

Thx[/QUOTE]

Hi steel_dog

Apologies for the delayed response. This matter has been forwarded to the CU and tech teams to look into and assist. Feedback will be sent once received.

steel_dog 2017-03-12 12:47

[QUOTE=MC Pamela;335107]Hi steel_dog

Apologies for the delayed response. This matter has been forwarded to the CU and tech teams to look into and assist. Feedback will be sent once received.[/QUOTE]

Fantastic. Really appreciate it. Happy to run the necessary tests from my end.

MC Pamela 2017-03-12 14:48

Hi All

May you kindly PM me your contact details and smartcard numbers.

steel_dog 2017-03-12 17:44

[QUOTE=MC Pamela;335125]Hi All

May you kindly PM me your contact details and smartcard numbers.[/QUOTE]
PM sent. Thx.

Luke7777 2017-03-12 20:20

Riverdale kept on telling me I need to be connected to the internet, whilst Connectivity Tracker is all green :) That's was while trying to test CU+ downloads, around 20:00

MC Pamela 2017-03-13 11:16

[QUOTE=steel_dog;335137]PM sent. Thx.[/QUOTE]

Hi steel_dog

Noted thank you. I have responded to your PM.

MC Pamela 2017-03-13 11:22

Hi All

The team has made some changes and improvements. May I kindly request that those who were affected and raised issues before March, to try again and let us know.

While those who have been affected recently, that is during the month of March - to kindly PM me their contact details and smartcard numbers to forward to the tech team.

Luke7777 2017-03-13 11:33

[QUOTE=Luke7777;334362]Ok, ask your VOD team how much that 30s wait period is suppose to download, as in minutes and seconds, in HD. Then we can compare...[/QUOTE]
We would still like to have an indication of what constitutes an improvement

steel_dog 2017-03-13 14:26

[QUOTE=MC Pamela;335251]Hi All

The team has made some changes and improvements. May I kindly request that those who were affected and raised issues before March, to try again and let us know.

While those who have been affected recently, that is during the month of March - to kindly PM me their contact details and smartcard numbers to forward to the tech team.[/QUOTE]

Hi MC Pamela,
I too am I interested in the improvements made.
Tested just now. Only 20s of buffer downloaded in 30s. Appears that the problem still exists.
Regards,
SD.

Skybound 2017-03-13 21:43

Definitely worse now.

HD has not been an option for a while. SD used to be okay, but now for past few weeks, can't even pull SD content fast enough to watch. 10 seconds buffered in the 30s start up period.

Have 20 meg ADSL line. Speed test indicates 18meg down whilst trying to pull the SD content.:confused:

Luke7777 2017-03-14 08:18

Tested 2 last night, around 50s of buffer. Without anything to compare against, those numbers are useless.

steel_dog 2017-03-14 18:54

Still not working for me at the moment. Just tested. 19s of download in 30s buffer fill period. Then times out after a minute of struggling along.

JeanP 2017-03-14 22:04

I don't have a download problem. Download episodes 8 and 9 of the magicians both in under 5 minutes in HD

Luke7777 2017-03-15 08:30

[QUOTE=JeanP;335647]I don't have a download problem. Download episodes 8 and 9 of the magicians both in under 5 minutes in HD[/QUOTE]For the sake of comparison, when you watch in HD, rather that download that first, how many seconds in the buffer after the 30s wait period ?

JeanP 2017-03-15 09:33

[QUOTE=Luke7777;335677]For the sake of comparison, when you watch in HD, rather that download that first, how many seconds in the buffer after the 30s wait period ?[/QUOTE]

Will check streaming tonight

steel_dog 2017-03-15 10:03

[QUOTE=Luke7777;335677]For the sake of comparison, when you watch in HD, rather that download that first, how many seconds in the buffer after the 30s wait period ?[/QUOTE]

When it worked i got 50s to 60s on HD.
Refuse to bother with SD. :P

Luke7777 2017-03-15 10:26

[QUOTE=JeanP;335692]Will check streaming tonight[/QUOTE]Thanks
(The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.) :D

Luke7777 2017-03-15 10:28

[QUOTE=steel_dog;335698]When it worked i got 50s to 60s on HD.
Refuse to bother with SD. :P[/QUOTE]Not partly due to the AH Ctn issues ?

JeanP 2017-03-15 17:25

OK just streamed a test program in HD no problem after the 30 seconds buffer it started playing with 47seconds in the buffer and it kept climbing.

So my streaming I have no issues well at least for the moment

steel_dog 2017-03-15 20:01

[QUOTE=Luke7777;335713]Not partly due to the AH Ctn issues ?[/QUOTE]

Very likely, however it's still uncertain whether it's solely on the AH or MC end. Seems like a peering issue - SAIX test account works fine. It's been clouded by the other AH issues, however the AH folks committed to drive it on their end. Just waiting on the MC folks to feedback what they've found. They clearly found something as well 'cause they made changes in response to the reports.

Update from tonight:
There was an error during playback. Please check that you have an internet connection. Eish.

Luke7777 2017-03-15 20:05

Which program ?

JeanP 2017-03-15 20:08

[QUOTE=Luke7777;335998]Which program ?[/QUOTE]

The magicians episode 9

Luke7777 2017-03-15 20:17

Just tried it, 40s and climbing while watching . I'll go back to direct watching for a while and see how it goes

MC Pamela 2017-03-16 19:28

[QUOTE=steel_dog;335995]Very likely, however it's still uncertain whether it's solely on the AH or MC end. Seems like a peering issue - SAIX test account works fine. It's been clouded by the other AH issues, however the AH folks committed to drive it on their end. Just waiting on the MC folks to feedback what they've found. They clearly found something as well 'cause they made changes in response to the reports.

Update from tonight:
There was an error during playback. Please check that you have an internet connection. Eish.[/QUOTE]

Hi steel_dog

Our tech has your contact details, they'll be in touch soon to assist.

Biltongboer 2017-03-17 08:37

ShowMax.

Hallo MC Pamela.

Thank you for improving the service.
Streaming on my Explora the showmax content, has improved a lot.
Please don't change anything again.
Don't brake it again.

Thank you.

Johann

Geoff D 2017-03-17 09:14

[QUOTE=Biltongboer;336271]Hallo MC Pamela.

Don't brake it again.

Thank you.

Johann[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, this particular issue is not totally under MCs control. The past two weeks have seen numerous network issues in SA. All operators have been doing something to their networks or some or other attack was on the go. There are some minor improvements are starting to show but things are far from where they should be.

Geoff D 2017-03-17 09:50

Further to this very irritating issue of slow downloads on catchup, dstvnow, showmax and Supersport that we have experienced for many years,

I hope that MC has now seen its way clear to provide ALL ISPs and network operators in SA with a way for them to contact MC when these issues arise.

Granted in this case it would seem that one particular ISP did need to do something in its network and that MC also made some changes. The same would probably apply to other ISPs as well.

It is not the first time, nor is it likely to be the last time.

caneman 2017-03-17 10:27

I have also seen an improvement in downloading and streaming.
The proof that it is really better is going to be over the weekend on Friday,Saturday and Sunday nights after 19:00

steel_dog 2017-03-17 11:42

[QUOTE=MC Pamela;336211]Hi steel_dog

Our tech has your contact details, they'll be in touch soon to assist.[/QUOTE]

Hi MC Pamela.

Thank you. The team has been in touch. We've been able to perform a couple of tests. They've noted the issue and have logged a ticket with Afrihost. I have also been actively driving the issue with Afrihost. With involvement on both sides I'm confident we can resolve this.

Regards and thanks,
SD

Luke7777 2017-03-17 14:49

Any non-AH client still having problems ... Sandtonman, JacoHD ?

steel_dog 2017-03-17 15:14

[QUOTE=steel_dog;336346]Hi MC Pamela.

Thank you. The team has been in touch. We've been able to perform a couple of tests. They've noted the issue and have logged a ticket with Afrihost. I have also been actively driving the issue with Afrihost. With involvement on both sides I'm confident we can resolve this.

Regards and thanks,
SD[/QUOTE]

Quick update. The MC team has made some changes to alleviate the issues Afrihost users are facing. Tests flew through. This is a temporary fix whilst they work with the Afrihost team on a long term solution. Just checked and Aftermath Episode 8 HD loaded 72s of content in the 30s buffer fill windows.

MC Pamela 2017-03-18 19:02

[QUOTE=steel_dog;336463]Quick update. The MC team has made some changes to alleviate the issues Afrihost users are facing. Tests flew through. This is a temporary fix whilst they work with the Afrihost team on a long term solution. Just checked and Aftermath Episode 8 HD loaded 72s of content in the 30s buffer fill windows.[/QUOTE]

Hi steel_dog

Great to hear the team has already made contact. Keep us posted.

MC Pamela 2017-03-18 19:10

[QUOTE=Biltongboer;336271]Hallo MC Pamela.

Don't brake it again.

Thank you.

Johann[/QUOTE]

Hi Biltongboer

We appreciate your feedback. The team will be informed :).

Krugie 2017-03-19 17:59

I'm still getting terrible download speeds on CU+ with live viewing - ShowMax via the Explora works perfectly.

I have a 100Mbps fibre line and on ShowMax, watchibg in HD, I have over 4 minutes buffered after 30 seconds. On CU+ it is 8 to 10 seconds and within 15 seconds there is no buffer left and the program pauses.

I'm with M-Web as ISP but the fibre line is provided by Telkom fibre.

steel_dog 2017-03-19 20:03

[QUOTE=Krugie;336679]I'm still getting terrible download speeds on CU+ with live viewing - ShowMax via the Explora works perfectly.

I have a 100Mbps fibre line and on ShowMax, watchibg in HD, I have over 4 minutes buffered after 30 seconds. On CU+ it is 8 to 10 seconds and within 15 seconds there is no buffer left and the program pauses.

I'm with M-Web as ISP but the fibre line is provided by Telkom fibre.[/QUOTE]
I've sent your post on to the team looking into my (Afrihost) issues.

Krugie 2017-03-20 11:45

[QUOTE=steel_dog;336691]I've sent your post on to the team looking into my (Afrihost) issues.[/QUOTE]

Thanks - just to add - this is dependent on time of day as well. I just tried a CU+ title now and the buffer was over 3 minutes. It is prime time evenings that are the major problem.

MC Pamela 2017-03-21 08:09

[QUOTE=Krugie;336745]Thanks - just to add - this is dependent on time of day as well. I just tried a CU+ title now and the buffer was over 3 minutes. It is prime time evenings that are the major problem.[/QUOTE]

Hi Krugie

Kindly PM me your contact details as our tech team would like to get in touch with you.

Krugie 2017-03-21 16:56

[QUOTE=MC Pamela;336793]Hi Krugie

Kindly PM me your contact details as our tech team would like to get in touch with you.[/QUOTE]

PM sent. :):)

JacoHD 2017-03-21 21:11

Guys this is not on. We pay for this service. I got 1second buffered after 30seconds...!

steel_dog 2017-03-21 21:18

[QUOTE=JacoHD;336862]Guys this is not on. We pay for this service. I got 1second buffered after 30seconds...![/QUOTE]

Dude PM your details to MC Pamela and ask her to pass it onto the team working on this. Which ISP are you with?
AH has gone completely belly up this evening. The workaround server is as bad as the original. <100KB/s throughput.

JacoHD 2017-03-21 21:21

I am with Telkom. 100Mbps line takes 8 minutes now to give me 1:32minutes of Catchup in HD :(

JacoHD 2017-03-21 21:30

So after Another 8 minutes we are at 03:07minutes, this is not cool at all. All I wanted was to watch some catchup before my week starts tomorrow. Seriously disappointing for a PREMIUM product? Here I go to NETFLIX for my entertainment at least thats blasting at FULL SPEED...

steel_dog 2017-03-21 21:43

[QUOTE=JacoHD;336871]So after Another 8 minutes we are at 03:07minutes, this is not cool at all. All I wanted was to watch some catchup before my week starts tomorrow. Seriously disappointing for a PREMIUM product? Here I go to NETFLIX for my entertainment at least thats blasting at FULL SPEED...[/QUOTE]

So far we have poor performance on Afrihost, MWeb Fibre and Telkom Fibre. Points back to the source.

Luke7777 2017-03-22 08:17

Tried yesterday during the day, ended up downloading it in the end and watched later

steel_dog 2017-03-22 10:22

[QUOTE=JacoHD;336871]So after Another 8 minutes we are at 03:07minutes, this is not cool at all. All I wanted was to watch some catchup before my week starts tomorrow. Seriously disappointing for a PREMIUM product? Here I go to NETFLIX for my entertainment at least thats blasting at FULL SPEED...[/QUOTE]

How's the performance at the moment? According to the MC team there was a Telkom Fibre outage yesterday. It's been resolved. You should be back to normal.

MC Pamela 2017-03-23 10:36

[QUOTE=steel_dog;336931]How's the performance at the moment? According to the MC team there was a Telkom Fibre outage yesterday. It's been resolved. You should be back to normal.[/QUOTE]

Hi steel_dog

Great to hear the platforms team is assisting. Keep up us posted and let us know should you have any issues.

MC Pamela 2017-03-23 10:38

Hi JacoHD

Are you still having issues?

steel_dog 2017-03-23 15:35

Hi all. The platforms team have been actively working on this. They held a conference​ call today with Afrihost and others. Afrihost will be making a test account available to the platforms team. Testing will resume when that's available. I'll assist where I can.

MC Pamela 2017-03-24 08:52

[QUOTE=steel_dog;337282]Hi all. The platforms team have been actively working on this. They held a conference​ call today with Afrihost and others. Afrihost will be making a test account available to the platforms team. Testing will resume when that's available. I'll assist where I can.[/QUOTE]

Hi steel_dog

That is great to hear. Thank you for keeping us posted :).

rozze2 2017-04-09 17:53

Evening - are there any further updates on this issue. I am constantly experiencing the same problem (tonight included) incredibly slow download speeds - have tested ger.

I have an Explora 2
20Mbs Fibre Line (Used for nothing else pretty much but browsing and catch up)
ISP is WebAfrica

I dare not try and get anything in HD unless I download it first and watch it later.

MC Pamela 2017-04-10 09:34

[QUOTE=rozze2;339811]Evening - are there any further updates on this issue. I am constantly experiencing the same problem (tonight included) incredibly slow download speeds - have tested ger.

I have an Explora 2
20Mbs Fibre Line (Used for nothing else pretty much but browsing and catch up)
ISP is WebAfrica

I dare not try and get anything in HD unless I download it first and watch it later.[/QUOTE]

Hi rozze2

Sorry to keep you waiting. Kindly PM me your contact details and smartcard number to share with our tech team.

uelmaree123 2017-04-14 12:46

Has any resolution been found overall?

MC Pamela 2017-04-14 16:05

[QUOTE=uelmaree123;340438]Has any resolution been found overall?[/QUOTE]

Hi uelmaree123

The tech and platforms teams are still working on it. I'll check with them for an update and get back to you.

Simon 2017-04-16 08:52

What's with the 30 second wait?

Surely, this wait should be a content time based buffer?

Sandtonman 2017-04-16 09:36

I've been pulling HD Showmax content extensively over the past few evenings. Zero buffering issues. 100% trouble-free viewing of this service (in HD)! :)
Will continue to monitor and report.
BTW, I agree with Simon that the initial buffer should be content time based, not simply time-based. I am not aware of any similar service anywhere that buffers, based just on a fixed time period? Cheers K.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Krugie 2017-04-17 14:07

[QUOTE=Sandtonman;340591]I've been pulling HD Showmax content extensively over the past few evenings. Zero buffering issues. 100% trouble-free viewing of this service (in HD)! :) [/QUOTE]

I've never really had issues with Showmax buffering - only with CU+ and only really during peak times - but that has also improved since liaising with the tech guys and them adding additional IPs related to M-Web.

MC Pamela 2017-04-18 13:11

[QUOTE=Krugie;340630]I've never really had issues with Showmax buffering - only with CU+ and only really during peak times - but that has also improved since liaising with the tech guys and them adding additional IPs related to M-Web.[/QUOTE]

Hi Krugie

Great to hear the tech team is still assisting.

Luke7777 2017-04-25 07:48

Tried to stream The Voice last night (after 8) . 30s window gave me 10s. So I downloaded. Half a hour later had 20m worth of video. This while a speedtest , at the same time via the same AP, came back with 20Mbps 3 times in a row. Will watch the 2nd half tonight :D

MC Grace 2017-04-28 16:51

[QUOTE=Luke7777;341746]Tried to stream The Voice last night (after 8) . 30s window gave me 10s. So I downloaded. Half a hour later had 20m worth of video. This while a speedtest , at the same time via the same AP, came back with 20Mbps 3 times in a row. Will watch the 2nd half tonight :D[/QUOTE]

Hi Luke7777

Oops, seems that way. Sorry about that.

Did you experience that with any other title/show?

Luke7777 2017-04-28 20:34

[QUOTE=MC Grace;342373]Hi Luke7777

Great to hear that.[/QUOTE]:D:D You clearly didn't read my post properly

MC Grace 2017-05-01 09:54

[QUOTE=Luke7777;342427]:D:D You clearly didn't read my post properly[/QUOTE]

Hi Luke7777

Oops, seems that way. Sorry about that.

Did you experience that with any other title/show?

Luke7777 2017-05-01 10:07

1 or 2 others after that. Can't remember which and didn't try anything else. Went back to normal viewing

MC Grace 2017-05-01 10:10

[QUOTE=Luke7777;342667]1 or 2 others after that. Can't remember which and didn't try anything else. Went back to normal viewing[/QUOTE]

Noted.

Kindly PM me your email address and contact details. I'll forward them to our tech team to look into and assist.

Luke7777 2017-05-01 10:30

Have done so before via MC Pamela, so they have it. Not a big issue, since I tend to download mostly in advance.

MC Grace 2017-05-01 10:40

[QUOTE=Luke7777;342703]Have done so before via MC Pamela, so they have it. Not a big issue, since I tend to download mostly in advance.[/QUOTE]

Noted.

Found the details and I've sent them through to our tech team.

Sandtonman 2017-05-01 10:40

[QUOTE=Luke7777;342703]............I tend to download mostly in advance.......[/QUOTE]

This is effectively a workaround Luke; it should not be necessary. You should be able to stream live whenever you wish; without buffering.

Cheers, K.

Luke7777 2017-05-01 10:50

[QUOTE=Sandtonman;342709]This is effectively a workaround Luke; it should not be necessary. You should be able to stream live whenever you wish; without buffering.

Cheers, K.[/QUOTE]Ja, I know. but life isn't perfect :) I download my 'regulars' as I don't like surprises

uelmaree123 2017-05-01 11:03

If you all are having buffering issues on your decoders, is it safe to assume that it'll be the same issue affecting me trying to stream on a browser? Started a movie (Must Love Dogs) on CatchUp (Windows 10 / Chrome) this morning which stopped to buffer about 10 times in 5 minutes before I gave up and switched to trusty Netflix.

Luke7777 2017-05-01 13:19

Might be the same. Just tried the same movie, streams fine Win10/FF

MC Grace 2017-05-01 14:06

[QUOTE=uelmaree123;342721]If you all are having buffering issues on your decoders, is it safe to assume that it'll be the same issue affecting me trying to stream on a browser? Started a movie (Must Love Dogs) on CatchUp (Windows 10 / Chrome) this morning which stopped to buffer about 10 times in 5 minutes before I gave up and switched to trusty Netflix.[/QUOTE]

Hi uelmaree123

Streaming on the DStv Explora and browser follow different APIs. Our tech team can assist with testing the change in host entry point to a specific IP address. To see if there are any download speed difference between the networks etc.

Kindly PM me your email address and contact details to share with the techies.

Luke7777 2017-05-05 10:20

Just an update. Been testing with someone on the CU team during this week. Bad results with the current IP (169.1.1.x), sitting on the Afrihost network, very good (consistent) results to the alternate cache IP.
AH traffic is now routed (from the CU side) to the caching servers, 30s download is back to arround 3 min of viewing time, as opposed to between 5 and 20s. This was after 19:00

So if the AH people on here can have a look? I'll also be streaming more in order to verify performance .

Thanks to MC Grace for passing on my info :) Terence seems like a real good guy...

MC Grace 2017-05-05 10:38

[QUOTE=Luke7777;343369]Just an update. Been testing with someone on the CU team during this week. Bad results with the current IP (169.1.1.x), sitting on the Afrihost network, very good (consistent) results to the alternate cache IP.
AH traffic is now routed (from the CU side) to the cache IP, 30s download is back to arround 3 min of viewing time, as opposed to between 5 and 20s. This was after 19:00

So if the AH people on here can have a look? I'll also be streaming more in order to verify performance .

Thanks to MC Grace for passing on my info :) Terence seems like a real good guy...[/QUOTE]

Hi Luke7777

Great to hear :)

steel_dog 2017-05-15 23:40

Hiya all,

As Luke7777 indicated, Terence and Isaac are awesome - yeah sorry about mentioning names but they were great driving till resolution and deserve kudo's.

Issues impacting Cape Town users should be resolved. The team's added caching servers in Cape Town. Host explora.dstvcdn.com should be resolving to 160.119.80.10 or 160.119.80.11.

Works like a bomb!! Explora is downloading 2mins of content in 30s of buffer. Oh you guys might have noticed the nifty new variable buffer feature in the latest explora software update. With the new superfast downloads (20mbps line) it takes between 10s and 15s to commence the show. Nice!!!

Rgds,
SD

Luke7777 2017-05-16 08:47

Just a note , all AH traffic is going to those cashing servers, not just the Cape Town users

caneman 2017-05-16 12:19

[QUOTE=caneman;336316]I have also seen an improvement in downloading and streaming.
The proof that it is really better is going to be over the weekend on Friday,Saturday and Sunday nights after 19:00[/QUOTE]

Well, after some weeks without any download and streaming problems I could not stream or download Gomorrah last night. So I am going to PM MC Pamela and ask for help.

steel_dog 2017-05-16 14:04

[QUOTE=Luke7777;344691]Just a note , all AH traffic is going to those cashing servers, not just the Cape Town users[/QUOTE]
Nice! Didn't know it was rolled out yet.

Geoff D 2017-05-16 14:12

For those of us on Telkom the trace route to explora.dstv.com resolves to "telkompullvod.dstvcdn.com" at 105.187.250.146

Toilet Duck 2017-05-16 19:13

[QUOTE=Geoff D;344799]For those of us on Telkom the trace route to explora.dstv.com resolves to "telkompullvod.dstvcdn.com" at 105.187.250.146[/QUOTE]

Mine's hitting 107.80.203.245, which appears to be MWeb JHB.

Using Vodacom Fiber in Cape Town.

Sandtonman 2017-05-17 10:37

1 Attachment(s)
Not checking the routing; but Showmax in HD is flying.
Have been binge watching "Vikings" and "Banshee" for over a month without a single buffering issue. This service is substantially improved :)

ISP=MWEB 20Mbps uncapped. Line= Telkonm 20Mbps VDSL 132GB Data Used over 30-Days

Cheers, K

Luke7777 2017-05-17 19:39

Really bad tonight. Download just gets disconnected. Test file used during testing using the cashed servers downloads a bit , then fails. Youtube streaming solid at 22Mbps

Luke7777 2017-05-18 07:50

Back to normal around 21:30. Cashing servers might've had a problem. Think MC should sponsor Terence a new Explora :D

Sandtonman 2017-05-18 08:00

[QUOTE=Luke7777;344964]Really bad tonight. Download just gets disconnected. Test file used during testing using the cashed servers downloads a bit , then fails. Youtube streaming solid at 22Mbps[/QUOTE]

Watched HD Showmax all evening; absolutely no issues. Cheers, K.

Luke7777 2017-05-18 08:05

Ja, but Showmax is a different beast :) Also had similar bad speeds testing the file via my Mweb account

Sandtonman 2017-05-18 08:28

[QUOTE=Luke7777;345018]Ja, but Showmax is a different beast :) Also had similar bad speeds testing the file via my Mweb account[/QUOTE]

Understood; but typically Showmax has also had major buffering issues in the past; to the extent that I only used to watch in SD and still sometimes ran out of buffer. I now typically see the HD buffer increase by around 3 seconds, per elapsed second, when in pause.

[B]I'll monitor this thread and check out catch-up plus when I see issues being reported.
[/B]
Cheers, K.

[B][edit] PS Luke, you mention a test file. Is this an MC provided file? or just some content you've designated as a test file? k[/B]

Luke7777 2017-05-18 08:54

Provided by MC.

MC Grace 2017-05-18 09:20

Hi All

We had a bit of a problem with one of our caching servers in Cape Town at about 19:00 last night.

This might have affected only some clients and would have resulted in slower download speeds. Updates will be posted once received.

Luke7777 2017-05-18 09:24

Thanks MC Grace. Seemed to have been resolved later... well, at least for me :)

MC Grace 2017-05-18 09:28

[QUOTE=Luke7777;345042]Thanks MC Grace. Seemed to have been resolved later... well, at least for me :)[/QUOTE]

Only a pleasure Luke7777 :)

uelmaree123 2017-05-18 11:00

Not sure if it's related but trying a movie on CatchUp on a browser this morning was unwatchable. Buffering every couple minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MC Grace 2017-05-18 11:50

[QUOTE=uelmaree123;345054]Not sure if it's related but trying a movie on CatchUp on a browser this morning was unwatchable. Buffering every couple minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Hi

This is not related to the Explora traffic. The was resolved shorty after it occurred.

I'm currently checking with the relevant teams, and will feedback shortly.

MC Grace 2017-05-18 14:00

[QUOTE=uelmaree123;345054]Not sure if it's related but trying a movie on CatchUp on a browser this morning was unwatchable. Buffering every couple minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Kindly confirm the movie you tried watching.

uelmaree123 2017-05-18 14:05

[QUOTE=MC Grace;345096]Kindly confirm the movie you tried watching.[/QUOTE]

Mr.Right on CatchUp movies online

MC Grace 2017-05-19 13:45

[QUOTE=uelmaree123;345099]Mr.Right on CatchUp movies online[/QUOTE]

Hi uelmaree123

The platforms team played out the movie using the LAN and ADSL, it is playing fine without any buffering.

Kindly try again and feedback, as it might be network issues on your end.

Krugie 2017-05-24 21:08

Currently my CatchUp + downloads are pretty much non-existent. I'm trying Goldeneye and after 34 seconds buffering (HD) there is only 6 to 8 seconds.

My M-Web fibre speedtest shows 54Mbps but on my Explora the speed it is not even 1 Mbps.

Simon 2017-05-24 21:16

Having the same issues on my Afrihost 20mbps DSL line.

Speedtest (wireless) at 17mbps. Explora 2 is wired directly to a gigabit switch.

John Wick (HD) unwatchable.

Netflix almost instant HD streaming with DD 5.1 too.

Krugie 2017-05-24 22:15

By 22h00 my Explora was getting 15Mbps.

MC Grace 2017-05-24 22:24

Hi All

I'm checking with our techies.

Feedback to follow once received.

Luke7777 2017-05-25 13:29

Sorry, missed this last night. Would've been interesting to compare.

/subscribed :)

Krugie 2017-05-25 19:44

Same problem again tonight... down to between 0 and 2Mbps on the Explora - close to 50Mbps on my fibre.

Luke7777 2017-05-25 20:14

Yip, same here. Training Day Ep 1 .. a full 2s of viewing time . testfile from MC around 200-250k as opposed to 4.5Mb

/update 21:00 - testfile back to 4.2Mb, Explora back to normal speeds, although still getting "Download Server Error" every now and then

MC Grace 2017-05-25 21:58

Hi All

There was a problem last night which resulted in degradation of the service. Our techies are investigating further. Sorry about that.

Simon 2017-05-26 21:17

Third night in a row. Finally gave up trying to watch John Wick via the Explora. Eventually resorted to DSTV Now.

Unfortunately no HD, no Airplay and no 5.1.

The Explora internet experience is shoddy at best. It's download and play. Period.

MC Grace 2017-05-26 21:54

[QUOTE=Simon;346887]Third night in a row. Finally gave up trying to watch John Wick via the Explora. Eventually resorted to DSTV Now.

Unfortunately no HD, no Airplay and no 5.1.

The Explora internet experience is shoddy at best. It's download and play. Period.[/QUOTE]

Hi Simon

I'll get an update from our techies and post back feedback.

Simon 2017-05-27 08:05

[QUOTE=MC Grace;346893]I'll get an update from our techies and post back feedback.[/QUOTE]

Thanks very much. Even the streaming on DSTV Now was poor quality.

Krugie 2017-05-27 13:13

[QUOTE=Simon;346887]Third night in a row. Finally gave up trying to watch John Wick via the Explora.[/QUOTE]

Yup - also got less than 1Mbps until after 21H00 when it picked up again.

steel_dog 2017-05-27 18:48

Something is awry this weekend. Streaming is very poor. Connection fluctuates erratically between 200KB/s to close to line speed then drops again. Sent an email to the guys I've been dealing with.

MC Grace 2017-05-27 19:15

Hi All

Nothing from our techies yet.

I'll keep checking and post any updates received.

steel_dog 2017-05-29 23:58

[QUOTE=MC Grace;346989]Hi All

Nothing from our techies yet.

I'll keep checking and post any updates received.[/QUOTE]

The connection is stable again and test download maxes out at linespeed (20mbps). Had a quick word with the techies. They have noted the issue this weekend and are still investigating. Seems to hit during certain periods.

MC Grace 2017-05-31 09:51

[QUOTE=steel_dog;347385]The connection is stable again and test download maxes out at linespeed (20mbps). Had a quick word with the techies. They have noted the issue this weekend and are still investigating. Seems to hit during certain periods.[/QUOTE]

Hi steel_dog

Noted.

Updates to be posted once received on this end.

tenhooj 2017-06-10 22:05

streaming on catch up downloads is not working properly on DSTV and on DSTVNOW. Runs and stops. reboot modems, cell phone and DSTV . No change. Even tried cell data. It pauses after a few minutes and then gets the gitters because the speed is so slow

MC Grace 2017-06-12 14:34

[QUOTE=tenhooj;349710]streaming on catch up downloads is not working properly on DSTV and on DSTVNOW. Runs and stops. reboot modems, cell phone and DSTV . No change. Even tried cell data. It pauses after a few minutes and then gets the gitters because the speed is so slow[/QUOTE]

Hi tenhooj

Sorry to keep you waiting.

Which device and decoder model are you using? Also confirm if you're still experiencing the same issue. Do you get the same issue when streaming through the SuperSport App?

Luke7777 2017-06-29 21:02

CU downloads crawling again on my side. Test file from MC downloading at around 200-300kbps. Speedtest from the same AP as the Explora gives 30Mbps

Krugie 2017-07-04 19:45

Totally unusable tonight. Tried to watch Falling Water at around 19h40.... no luck so I paused so it can download but it takes 5 to 8 seconds to download ONE second..... :eek::eek:

EDIT: Connectivity Checker passes instantly and my M-Web speedtest shows a download speed of 94.1Mbps.

Tried an episode of Suits on ShowMax and after 30 seconds over 2 minutes were downloaded.

caneman 2017-07-05 16:06

1 Attachment(s)
Also having problems with slow downloads and "Download Server Error"
Tried to down load Modus on Sunday PM and it took 2 hours to download.
This morning not much better.:mad:

Silk 2017-07-05 18:13

I'm also having issues (Explorer 2A).

Been trying to download some movies today since all my existing downloads just vanished after a software update last night. Grrrr!!!

Downloading has been extremely slow, lots of disconnections and so far everything I've tried eventually fails with an HTTP 503 Error, in which case you have to start the download from scratch.

This service is simply useless.

MC Grace 2017-07-05 22:05

Hi All

I have asked our tech team to assist on this one.

Feedback will be posted once received.

MC Grace 2017-07-06 16:36

Hi All

Our tech team is currently investigating the matter.

An update will follow once received.

Krugie 2017-07-07 16:22

Still the same - only 5 seconds downloaded by the time viewing starts - caught up with the download after viewing for about 3 seconds.

Luke7777 2017-07-07 16:32

Tested with Aquarius , more than 3 min when viewing start.

Simon 2017-07-09 09:12

1 Attachment(s)
Streaming on DSTV Now (Mac). 50 meg fibre line. Gigabit wired lan. Sunday morning at 9am.

Adaptive streaming of [I]live[/I] channels slowing to very poor quality, bearing in mind that the maximum is only Standard Definition. [I]Not acceptable.[/I]
Catchup, better.

Youtube = Perfect UHD
Netflix = Perfect UHD (wireless elsewhere in the house).

I'm attaching a screenshot for analysis and comparison. This is from YouTube and began playing within a second.

Resolution : 2560x1440 (Full UHD not available on a Mac)
Connection speed : 45Mbps
Buffer health : 30 seconds

[ATTACH]8004[/ATTACH]

MC Grace 2017-07-10 11:40

[QUOTE=Simon;353304]Streaming on DSTV Now (Mac). 50 meg fibre line. Gigabit wired lan. Sunday morning at 9am.

Adaptive streaming of [I]live[/I] channels slowing to very poor quality, bearing in mind that the maximum is only Standard Definition. [I]Not acceptable.[/I]
Catchup, better.

Youtube = Perfect UHD

I'm attaching a screenshot for analysis and comparison. This is from YouTube and began playing within a second.

[ATTACH]8004[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

Hi Simon

I have escalated to the DStv Now tech and platforms team to assist. Feedback will follow once received.

Silk 2017-07-10 20:14

[QUOTE=MC Grace;353406]Hi Simon

I have escalated to the DStv Now tech and platforms team to assist. Feedback will follow once received.[/QUOTE]

These slow download / streaming issues have been ongoing for some time now. We are still waiting for feedback on the issues you submitted to your Tech team on 05 July.

MC Grace 2017-07-11 15:00

[QUOTE=Silk;353508]These slow download / streaming issues have been ongoing for some time now. We are still waiting for feedback on the issues you submitted to your Tech team on 05 July.[/QUOTE]

Hi Silk

I have requested the teams for an update, as they were investigating.

MC Grace 2017-07-12 11:14

Hi All

Kindly see the response from our tech team below:-

- It looks like the issue was only affecting Afrihost clients.
- Our team has been talking to the Afrihost technical team and are awaiting feedback from them.

caneman 2017-07-12 11:43

[QUOTE=MC Grace;353820]Hi All

Kindly see the response from our tech team below:-

- It looks like the issue was only affecting Afrihost clients.
- Our team has been talking to the Afrihost technical team and are awaiting feedback from them.[/QUOTE]

I don't think so! I'm with Vox Telecom and have the same problems:mad:

Luke7777 2017-07-12 12:05

Krugie is with Mweb I think

Krugie 2017-07-12 12:52

[QUOTE=Luke7777;353829]Krugie is with Mweb I think[/QUOTE]

Correct yes. Mine is working fine today though.

MC Grace 2017-07-17 13:54

Hi All

Kindly confirm if you are still having issues with slow downloads.

If so, I will check with the team again.

caneman 2017-07-18 09:26

[QUOTE=MC Grace;354276]Hi All

Kindly confirm if you are still having issues with slow downloads.

If so, I will check with the team again.[/QUOTE]

I have had an improvement with downloads since Sunday. I have not had the “Download server error” and “HTTP 503 Error” and the speed seems to acceptable. I have not streamed/watch anything as yet.

EDIT. Spoke too soon. Just started downloading Falling Water has had "Download Server Error"

caneman 2017-07-23 11:38

There is no improvement for me. Tried to download a film on Saturday night and gave up after an hour.:mad:

Skybound 2017-07-23 20:50

Mine also still bad. Not a single title can be watched streaming. 20mb dsl line through axxess.

Krugie 2017-07-24 20:34

Also suffering again tonight... only 4 seconds HD downloaded after 30 seconds.

Mine worked fine for a while now but it seems we are just going around in circles with no real solution in sight. ShowMax is always fine - why can't the same methods be used for both??

Luke7777 2017-07-24 21:34

Testfile coming down at good speed

Krugie 2017-07-24 22:21

It has improved now...but I have seen much better.

MC Grace 2017-07-27 11:28

Hi All

Are you still experiencing issues with your download speed?

Luke7777 2017-07-27 12:13

It's inconsistent.. sometimes it flies , sometimes it downright sucks

Krugie 2017-07-27 12:39

[QUOTE=Luke7777;355632]It's inconsistent.. sometimes it flies , sometimes it downright sucks[/QUOTE]

I agree. I can try it now and it will be perfect and tonight there is a better than average time that it will not be working. And then later tonight all will be fine again.

Is anything being done/changed/monitored in the background? The only responses we seem to get is to be asked whether the problem still exists. :)

caneman 2017-07-27 17:50

No improvement! Slow downloads and server problems:mad:

flategan 2017-07-27 18:38

[QUOTE=JacoHD;331581]So at first I was thinking maybe this is a problem my side. But I have tested the lan cable, rebooted the router etc.

I checked on the Explora and it reports I have 100Mbps so I am I missing something? Randburg/Multichoice servers? Anyone else experiencing this problem?[/QUOTE]

I have the same problem. Seems that the DSTV servers are just too weak to handle the traffic. Main reason why I dumped Showmax. Netflix run HD with live streaming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MC Grace 2017-07-29 08:02

[QUOTE=Simon;353304]Streaming on DSTV Now (Mac). 50 meg fibre line. Gigabit wired lan. Sunday morning at 9am.

Catchup, better.

Youtube = Perfect UHD

[ATTACH]8004[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

Hi Simon

Apologies for the delayed response.

The tech team would like you to confirm the below:

Which ISP are you using for the fiber connectivity?
Also confirm the browser used? Safari or Chrome. As different formats are served to different browsers.
The channels you were having issues with or tested.

Silk 2017-07-30 12:43

I'm still having problems with many disconnections while downloading. On Friday I downloaded an episode of Beyond (in HD) over-night...nothing else was using my internet connection. It disconnected 8 times during the download. Seems to happen consistently every 5 minutes.
You would think that disconnections are not so bad because it does resume, however when watching the program the disconnection causes the viewing to jump back 10 seconds or so which is very annoying.
This is poor software design. You should not be appending to the existing partially downloaded file when an interruption occurs, but rather overwriting from the last checkpoint. The disconnections would then not have an impact on the viewing experience.

(Explora 2A connected via ethernet cable, ISP is Afrihost, 4Mbps DSL line)

Simon 2017-07-31 13:12

[QUOTE=MC Grace;355815]Which ISP are you using for the fiber connectivity?
Also confirm the browser used? Safari or Chrome. As different formats are served to different browsers.
The channels you were having issues with or tested.[/QUOTE]

Web Africa
Safari
Can't recall the channel

tenhooj 2017-08-01 20:32

still happening randomly. I am on 10meg FTH. I find that sometimes I can resolve it by rebooting the router or/and decoder.
I moved from cable between the router and explorea to WIFI but still happening

Ermeric1 2017-08-02 06:56

I keep getting a message saying Disconnected but when I use the Connectivity Checker all have green ticks. There's nothing wrong with my Internet Connection as streaming from Showmax on the Explora works fine. Also streaming and downloading from Netflix or streaming from YouTube gives no problems at all.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Silk 2017-08-02 14:05

So last night I watched another downloaded program (Falling Water) and every 5 minutes during playback, the viewing will scramble and replay the last 10 seconds or so. I assume this is caused by a disconnection during the download process. This happens fairly consistently every 5 minutes while viewing the content. Surely this cannot be a co-incidence? Is content downloaded in 5 minute chunks?

MC Grace 2017-08-02 21:50

[QUOTE=Simon;355992]Web Africa
Safari
Can't recall the channel[/QUOTE]

Hi Simon

Our tech team advised the issue was resolved.

Dclique 2017-08-02 22:21

Alright cool

MC Grace 2017-08-02 22:31

[QUOTE=Silk;356295]So last night I watched another downloaded program (Falling Water) and every 5 minutes during playback, the viewing will scramble and replay the last 10 seconds or so. I assume this is caused by a disconnection during the download process. This happens fairly consistently every 5 minutes while viewing the content. Surely this cannot be a co-incidence? Is content downloaded in 5 minute chunks?[/QUOTE]

Hi Ermeric1 and @Silk

The relevant teams are investigating. Feedback will be posted once received.

Silk 2017-08-11 15:28

Just to let you know, the disconnection issue has not improved. Still getting multiple disconnections during downloads. It also happens when streaming. As previously mentioned, this causes the viewing to jump back 10 seconds or so which is very annoying.

caneman 2017-08-12 12:01

[QUOTE=Silk;357333]Just to let you know, the disconnection issue has not improved. Still getting multiple disconnections during downloads. It also happens when streaming. As previously mentioned, this causes the viewing to jump back 10 seconds or so which is very annoying.[/QUOTE]

I agree! I am still getting the same disconnections and slow downloads.:mad:

MC Grace 2017-08-13 22:21

Hi All

I will forward to our tech teams to look into.

Any updates to follow, I will post back.

MC Grace 2017-08-13 22:38

[QUOTE=caneman;357387]I agree! I am still getting the same disconnections and slow downloads.:mad:[/QUOTE]

Hi caneman

Our tech team is not seeing anything on their monitoring system which indicates a problem on our side.

Kindly confirm the network you are using, as there might be an ISP / line congestion.

caneman 2017-08-14 08:43

[QUOTE=MC Grace;357576]Hi caneman

Our tech team is not seeing anything on their monitoring system which indicates a problem on our side.

Kindly confirm the network you are using, as there might be an ISP / line congestion.[/QUOTE]

ISP= Vox Telecom
Line speed=10Mbps.
Unshaped

Speed Test JHB->CPT
Ping: 30ms
Download: 9.7Mbps
Upload: 0.81Mbps.

As with other complaints on the forum, I can download/stream from other providers without a problem.
I have noticed that the disconnections happen more when downloading/streaming series than it does on movies.

chrisvdh 2017-08-14 09:58

...and I can confirm that I saw multiple "disconnected" messages last night while watching live and CU+ content was downloading.

Silk 2017-08-15 17:39

@MC, would it be possible to at least ensure that when downloading resumes after a disconnection, that previously downloaded content does not repeat?

This can be achieved by over-writing the end of the current partially downloaded file from the last checkpoint, instead of appending to it. This would at least improve the viewing experience and prevent the very annoying 10 second repeats that occur at every disconnection point. Or am I being too presumptuous?

Chriseleven 2017-08-16 17:43

Watching on catch up is now not possible for me. Download keep disconnecting. I have a cable connection into my router and a 40/20Meg fibre line with access.

What do I need to do to get it sorted. Live in Port Elizabeth

Chriseleven 2017-08-16 17:46

Watching catch-up is now not possible for me. every now and again a download would complete but now the disconnects are so regular I never get a download that actually completes.

I have a 40/20Meg fibre line with Axxess. Speed has been tested regularly and I am always getting better speeds than 20Meg download.

What do I have to do to get this issue sorted?

craigc 2017-08-16 19:35

Hi i agree the catchup is full of buffering I have a 4 meg adsl line and lately full of buffering my apple box with show max is fine no buffering just Dstv with explora 1 full of buffering.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Silk 2017-08-19 11:04

Streaming / Downloading last night was unusable (Fri 18 Aug @ 22h30). Extremely slow and at one point it was stuck on "Server Error" for about 20 minutes. Plenty of disconnections and took around 5 mins to download 0.01 GB. Yet I could stream from YouTube in full HD no problem.

MC Grace 2017-08-19 13:18

[QUOTE=caneman;357603]ISP= Vox Telecom
Line speed=10Mbps.
Unshaped

Speed Test JHB->CPT

As with other complaints on the forum, I can download/stream from other providers without a problem.
I have noticed that the disconnections happen more when downloading/streaming series than it does on movies.[/QUOTE]

Hi caneman

I have sent the info to our tech team to look into and assist.

Feedback will be sent once received.

MC Grace 2017-08-19 13:25

[QUOTE=craigc;358134]Hi i agree the catchup is full of buffering I have a 4 meg adsl line and lately full of buffering my apple box with show max is fine no buffering just Dstv with explora 1 full of buffering.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Hi craigc

Are you still experiencing the same issues?

If so, kindly confirm the network you are using to assist.

ShadowFire 2017-08-19 16:46

I am also experiencing issues with Catch-up+. While streaming, I got the Disconnected message. Check my internet connection and everything works. The Explora shows Unable to Download: Download server error.

I went to the connectivity checker. Everything tests fine and the speed measured is 9.48Mbps.

I am using Afrihost with a 10Mbps ADSL line.

UPDATE: It started working again, so it seems to be intermittent.

Wolfgang 2017-08-19 22:32

I am experiencing the same problems and it was especially bad again on Friday night the 18th. It is not our Networks or ISP's, the problem is with DSTV's servers!

Sometimes it works very well so maybe it depends on how many people are streaming/downloading at the time.

Ermeric1 2017-08-19 23:06

I have the same problem this evening with streaming and downloading. Even Showmax on the Explora is slow yet my Internet Connection is fine as I'm able to stream and download without any problems. This error must be Explora related. I keep getting a message "Unable to Download Due To Server Error" when trying to download and "No Internet Connection" when trying to stream CatchUp+. When I try to stream Showmax it keeps buffering. Yet when I use the Connectivity Checker all have green ticks. And when I stream Showmax or Catchup+ using the Apps I have no problems.

Ermeric1 2017-08-19 23:08

I have an 8mbps connection with Axxess (27 ms ping, 7.85 mbps download and 0.75 upload).

MC Grace 2017-08-25 21:30

[QUOTE=caneman;357603]ISP= Vox Telecom
Line speed=10Mbps.
Unshaped

Speed Test JHB->CPT

I have noticed that the disconnections happen more when downloading/streaming series than it does on movies.[/QUOTE]

Hi caneman

Sorry we kept you waiting.

Kindly PM your email address, I will send it through to our tech team to get in touch with you.

MC Grace 2017-08-25 21:36

Hi All

Kindly PM your email addresses if you are still experiencing slow downloads. The relevant teams will assist further.

caneman 2017-08-26 15:41

[QUOTE=MC Grace;359265]Hi caneman

Sorry we kept you waiting.

Kindly PM your email address, I will send it through to our tech team to get in touch with you.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, PM Sent

MC Grace 2017-08-26 16:32

[QUOTE=caneman;359316]Thanks, PM Sent[/QUOTE]

@caneman

Noted.

I will take the details and forward them.

MC Grace 2017-08-26 16:39

Hi caneman

Our tech team have received your details and be contacting you soon.

caneman 2017-08-30 17:27

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=MC Grace;359325]@caneman

Noted.

I will take the details and forward them.[/QUOTE]

I hope they can contact me soon. CU+ is unwatchable at the moment! I get 4 "Unable to Download server error" per download:mad:

Ermeric1 2017-09-03 15:46

When I tried streaming Sammy's Adventures today it kept saying "Disconnected" after a couple of minutes. But when I do a connection test all have green ticks. And when I tried downloading Sammy's Adventures 2 it said "Queued" after a couple of minutes. Why would it say that when there were no other downloads scheduled? I also noticed that I've recently lost all my downloads as well as my entire download history. This happened to a number of subscribers and me before but no explanation or apology was given by MC. Now it's happened yet again. Why should I waste my data to download titles but when I'm ready to watch them they've disappeared? This is unacceptable and yet again MC has left my three year old son disappointed and me extremely frustrated and angry. Get your act together or lose me as a customer.

MC Grace 2017-09-05 22:24

[QUOTE=Ermeric1;360045]When I tried streaming Sammy's Adventures today it kept saying "Disconnected" after a couple of minutes. But when I do a connection test all have green ticks. And when I tried downloading Sammy's Adventures 2 it said "Queued" after a couple of minutes. Why would it say that when there were no other downloads scheduled? I also noticed that I've recently lost all my downloads as well as my entire download history. This happened to a number of subscribers and me before but no explanation or apology was given by MC. Now it's happened yet again. Why should I waste my data to download titles but when I'm ready to watch them they've disappeared? This is unacceptable and yet again MC has left my three year old son disappointed and me extremely frustrated and angry. Get your act together or lose me as a customer.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Hi Ermeric1

Apologies for the frustrations :(.

I have shared your concerns and issues to the relevant teams to look into and advise. When they respond, I will get back to you.

MC Grace 2017-09-11 13:56

[QUOTE=MC Grace;360420]Hi Ermeric1

Apologies for the frustrations :(.

I have shared your concerns and issues to the relevant teams to look into and advise. When they respond, I will get back to you.[/QUOTE]

Hi Ermeric1

The issues you've raised are being attended to by our tech and decoder support teams. A fix will be deployed in the build, dates will be confirmed/posted closer to the time.

caneman 2017-10-06 08:21

[QUOTE=MC Grace;359328]Hi caneman

Our tech team have received your details and be contacting you soon.[/QUOTE]

The tech team contacted me on 1st.Sept and have been doing tests since then but cannot (so far) find the problem.

Mojeneo 2017-10-09 14:32

I have a 10mbps ADSL line at home. The Explora2 download speed has never been more than 2.96mbsp. When I watch Showmax via the Explora2 I have buffering issues. If I watch Showmax via my Smart TV Showmax App, then there is no buffering issues. Catch plus also has the same buffering issues.

MC Grace 2017-10-09 15:55

[QUOTE=Mojeneo;365400]I have a 10mbps ADSL line at home. The Explora2 download speed has never been more than 2.96mbsp. When I watch Showmax via the Explora2 I have buffering issues. If I watch Showmax via my Smart TV Showmax App, then there is no buffering issues. Catch plus also has the same buffering issues.[/QUOTE]

Hi Mojeneo

PM me your email address and contact numbers. Also include your ISP, I'll forward to our tech team.

MC Grace 2017-10-09 15:56

[QUOTE=caneman;365091]The tech team contacted me on 1st.Sept and have been doing tests since then but cannot (so far) find the problem.[/QUOTE]

Hi caneman

Did they contact you after that?

caneman 2017-10-09 17:25

[QUOTE=MC Grace;365418]Hi caneman

Did they contact you after that?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I have had emails asking me to do tests they have been to my home to do some test themselves. I am waiting for the results of the tests.

MC Grace 2017-10-09 19:48

[QUOTE=caneman;365448]Yes, I have had emails asking me to do tests they have been to my home to do some test themselves. I am waiting for the results of the tests.[/QUOTE]

Great to hear :). Keep us posted.

LeonR 2017-10-11 08:47

[QUOTE=Mojeneo;365400]I have a 10mbps ADSL line at home. The Explora2 download speed has never been more than 2.96mbsp. When I watch Showmax via the Explora2 I have buffering issues. If I watch Showmax via my Smart TV Showmax App, then there is no buffering issues. Catch plus also has the same buffering issues.[/QUOTE]

I also have these slow download issues on an Explora with 50 mbps fibre line (admittedly slower at PVR due to extender, but more than 20). Cannot watch anything on HD and downloads take forever. Have sent a PM but no reply to date. :mad: Anyone have advice for me?

magszinovich 2017-10-11 13:45

I am too experiencing slow download speeds. Cannot watch HD content with either CU+, or via running showmax through the explora decoder.

I am running a 100mbps fibre line.

Has anyone sorted out their issues?

Luke7777 2017-10-11 13:51

I'm afraid that until MC provides a speedtest app (customized to pull a test file from the server(s) they host CU+ content on) on the Explora's menu, so that everyone can report this problem in the same way, this will never get sorted out.

LeonR 2017-10-11 13:58

Very frustrating! And the more content is moved to CU+, the more SD have to endue

Anyone perhaps had better results with the new USB design wifi connector?

Patrick No 1 2017-10-11 14:27

[QUOTE=Luke7777;365676]I'm afraid that until MC provides a speedtest app (customized to pull a test file from the server(s) they host CU+ content on) on the Explora's menu, so that everyone can report this problem in the same way, this will never get sorted out.[/QUOTE]

Have you captured the traffic from the speed test that is part of the Explora connectivity checker to see against which server the test is conducted?

LeonR 2017-10-11 14:39

[QUOTE=Patrick No 1;365682]Have you captured the traffic from the speed test that is part of the Explora connectivity checker to see against which server the test is conducted?[/QUOTE]
How does one do this? I don't have the Expl2

Luke7777 2017-10-11 15:30

[QUOTE=Patrick No 1;365682]Have you captured the traffic from the speed test that is part of the Explora connectivity checker to see against which server the test is conducted?[/QUOTE]Not technically certified for that :)
The caching server is explora.dstvcdn.com , and will resolve to different IPs depending from which ISP you come, iirc

JeanP 2017-10-11 16:42

I know this has nothing to do with cu. I normally watch 2episodes of younger on showmax Friday nights.

The first episode I choose HD after the 30sec has run down. I normally have between 2 and 3 minutes loaded. However I can't watch HD on the 2nd episode after that 30 sec has run down I have maybe 30 sec saved on buffer. I don't have that issue with CU or Netflix

MC Grace 2017-10-12 09:10

[QUOTE=magszinovich;365673]I am too experiencing slow download speeds. Cannot watch HD content with either CU+, or via running showmax through the explora decoder.

I am running a 100mbps fibre line.

Has anyone sorted out their issues?[/QUOTE]

Hi magszinovich

Let's see what our tech team can do for you. PM me your email address and contact details I'll forward to the team.

caneman 2017-10-12 10:48

3 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Luke7777;365676]I'm afraid that until MC provides a speedtest app (customized to pull a test file from the server(s) they host CU+ content on) on the Explora's menu, so that everyone can report this problem in the same way, this will never get sorted out.[/QUOTE]
[B]Re:-Download Server error[/B]
The techs supplied me with a test file connected to their servers for download tests. I used my computer to test the download and it gives the same download error at the same point as Download server error as indicated on the Explora.

Luke7777 2017-10-13 20:52

Tonight's a shocker.... Trying to 'watch' AGT .. need about 5 min to get maybe 1 min of viewing time. Testing with the test file from PC gets me around 200-330kb/s :(

JeanP 2017-10-13 21:20

Mr Robot is also very slow. Takes 40 minutes to load 17 minutes of playtime

Designated Survivor played in HD with no issues or buffering

MC Grace 2017-10-14 14:24

Hi Luke7777, I'm checking with the tech team -

@JeanP, PM me your email address - contact numbers and your ISP info to share with the team.

Krugie 2017-10-14 21:01

This issue is REALLY dragging on unacceptably long. It should not be necessary to resolve every persons problems on an individual basis - that can take years and years. The problem must be fixed on the back end. No one has these issues with watching ShowMax via their Explora so there is a solution somewhere on MC's side to fix the problem for everyone at the same time without each person having to log an issue.

MC Grace 2017-10-16 21:30

[QUOTE=Krugie;366213]This issue is REALLY dragging on unacceptably long. It should not be necessary to resolve every persons problems on an individual basis - that can take years and years. The problem must be fixed on the back end. No one has these issues with watching ShowMax via their Explora so there is a solution somewhere on MC's side to fix the problem for everyone at the same time without each person having to log an issue.[/QUOTE]

Hi All

We hear you and understand your frustrations. This issue is being investigated by all the relevant teams involved, and are trying to pin-point the problem. Updates will be posted.

magszinovich 2017-10-17 09:46

[QUOTE=MC Grace;365763]Hi magszinovich

Let's see what our tech team can do for you. PM me your email address and contact details I'll forward to the team.[/QUOTE]

My downloads seem to be much faster now.... no issues at the moment. When the initial 30 second buffer ends, I get about 5 mins viewing time.

Thanks for getting back to me

Luke7777 2017-10-18 21:36

Trying to watch Chicago Justice around 19:45 .. reached end of buffer after 30s or so. Download then timed out a couple of times after that

MC Grace 2017-10-18 22:22

[QUOTE=magszinovich;366516]My downloads seem to be much faster now.... no issues at the moment. When the initial 30 second buffer ends, I get about 5 mins viewing time.

Thanks for getting back to me[/QUOTE]

Only a pleasure, magszinovich.

cmuller 2017-10-20 21:37

Same issue, extremly slow download on Catch-up. Explora connect via LAN directly to router, computer speedtest at 100mbps, what I should be getting on my 100mbps fibre, and can hardly watch 10min before I have to pause and buffer. Netflix via TV, also connected via LAN, has no issue with streaming UHD. You guys cannot even get HD right on the Explora that I’m hoping should be more capable that a Samsung TV. Same issues with Showmax via Explora. As something that is advertised as being state of the art and local software and everything there are serious issues with your streaming on the Explora. Spoils Catch-up Plus as most nights it is unusable.
Wife and I started watching a 100 minute movie and now 135 minutes later still not done and the baby is up.
That is it for the night and now I have to record the show so that we can watch the last 20 minutes later. Seriously dissappointed!!!!!

Please don’t blame my connection or tell me to start running test. 100mbps fibre, direct LAN connection to Explora, latest firmware and even my phone is getting speeds of 90mbps plus when I do speedtest. Definetly not on my side!

Optimist 2017-10-20 21:56

I've been having terribly slow service tonight as well.

What "fixed it" for me - I simply reset my router, now downloading at normal speeds again.
Who knows what we can blame for that, but it still seems to add up to a problem at MC or one of their externally contracted related services.

magszinovich 2017-10-20 23:18

Try changing your DNS settings to the following:

Primary: 8.8.8.8
Optional/backup: 8.8.4.4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmuller 2017-10-21 10:17

The built-in speedtester of the Explora is giving me speeds of 35Mbps+ with every single test.
There should be no need for me to start changing router settings or rebooting routers. It may be easy for some of us to do those things, but most people don't know how and just want to watch what we pay for and what DSTV advertises all over the place as a reason to buy the Explora (the connected part of it).
Parents (50Mbps fibre) and in-laws (100Mbps fibre) have both given up trying to use the feature live or if they do they only to SD content. SD content when they have fast fibre is really not how it should be working.
:mad:As suggested in a previous post, they rather download what they want to watch and watch the next night. According to me that defeats the purpose of Watch Now if DSTV's servers cannot handle it.

cmuller 2017-10-22 19:39

Exactly the same issue tonight. Downloading a title, 0.2GB in 10 minutes while Explora’s own speedtest is giving me speeds of 25, 26, 31, ... Mbps. Surely at that speeds I should be getting a lot more than 200MB in 10 minutes. Router reboot changed nothing.

Luke7777 2017-10-23 07:38

Btw, I went looking for the Explora speedtest after saw it being mentioned here. Found it in Connectivity Checker , pretty sure it wasn't there before. Would love to know where/what is being tested against and whether that can be compared to the test.bin tests against explora.dstvcdn.com ?

Krugie 2017-10-23 09:14

[QUOTE=Luke7777;367065]pretty sure it wasn't there before[/QUOTE]

It is fairly new - maybe 2 or so releases back - but there has been reports that it is not very accurate. I have sometimes seen very different results when running the test twice immediately in a row.

magszinovich 2017-10-23 11:50

[QUOTE=cmuller;366969]The built-in speedtester of the Explora is giving me speeds of 35Mbps+ with every single test.
There should be no need for me to start changing router settings or rebooting routers. It may be easy for some of us to do those things, but most people don't know how and just want to watch what we pay for and what DSTV advertises all over the place as a reason to buy the Explora (the connected part of it).
Parents (50Mbps fibre) and in-laws (100Mbps fibre) have both given up trying to use the feature live or if they do they only to SD content. SD content when they have fast fibre is really not how it should be working.
:mad:As suggested in a previous post, they rather download what they want to watch and watch the next night. According to me that defeats the purpose of Watch Now if DSTV's servers cannot handle it.[/QUOTE]

Are you connected via wi-fi or ethernet?

My showmax connection works fine (linked through explora 2) but streaming speeds are K*K on catch up plus... Maybe it's bandwidth constraints on MC's side....

As mentioned I am also running a 100mbps line so speed is not the issue. The issue is clearly with MC. I am also assuming that DL speeds are also much slower during peak viewing times.

caneman 2017-10-24 08:57

For the last three nights I have had problems with Showmax having slow streaming and "Cannot Connect". It was so slow last night even pausing for 30sec. was not enough for the buffer to catch up. The DSTV Connectivity connector shows a speed of 9.85 Mbps.
CU+ is still the same with slow download speed and "Download Server Error" coming up at least 3 times in a 45Min show download.

JeanP 2017-10-24 09:05

I casted Mr Robot last night from ipad to tv. That wasn't too bad it buffered a few times for a few seconds after the 30 minute mark

MC Grace 2017-10-24 11:50

[QUOTE=magszinovich;366945]Try changing your DNS settings to the following:

Primary: 8.8.8.8
Optional/backup: 8.8.4.4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Hi magszinovich

We suggest you don't change the DNS settings as this would cause you to not route optimally (Via your ISP) and also makes it hard for our tech team to troubleshoot and pinpoint the issue.

Luke7777 2017-10-24 11:58

We tend to use those DNS settings as they will always work, as opposed to those of some of our ISPs from time to time :)

hilt_ctn 2017-10-25 08:22

[QUOTE=MC Grace;367353]Hi magszinovich

We suggest you don't change the DNS settings as this would cause you to not route optimally (Via your ISP) and also makes it hard for our tech team to troubleshoot and pinpoint the issue.[/QUOTE]

Not using ones ISP for DNS is a common practice. "Not optimal" is not a factual statement. Telkom's DNS for example is pretty much the worst of all ISP's IMHO. Using Google or VeriSign public DNS servers more often than not results in faster address resolution

magszinovich 2017-10-25 17:36

[QUOTE=MC Grace;367353]Hi magszinovich

We suggest you don't change the DNS settings as this would cause you to not route optimally (Via your ISP) and also makes it hard for our tech team to troubleshoot and pinpoint the issue.[/QUOTE]

8.8.8.8 is Google's DNS settings. Probably the MOST reliable DNS settings you can use.

I would much rather trust google than my ISP...

dmostert 2017-10-27 21:34

My CU+ is also unusable on a 100mbs fibre line. Explora connected via LAN Cable

Luke7777 2017-10-28 10:18

Last night was pretty slow again. Ended up putting all of The Voice in the queue. Will watch later...

MC Grace 2017-10-29 17:06

[QUOTE=dmostert;367863]My CU+ is also unusable on a 100mbs fibre line. Explora connected via LAN Cable[/QUOTE]

Hi dmostert

PM me your ISP, email address and contact details. I'll send them to our tech team to look into.

uelmaree123 2017-11-01 12:05

2 Attachment(s)
I'm posting here to hopefully get more coverage. I only watch online (Chrome browser, Afrihost 8mbps unshapped line) and have had different and recurring issues every couple months with watching content.

This is a recurring issue for me every couple months: For the last couple weeks every movie I watch is unwatchable near the beginning. It stops to buffer after a couple minutes then stops to buffer every 10 seconds or so until I pause, wait for a while and it's buffered enough. This usually fixes it. However, later on if I pause (for a couple minutes for other reasons) and unpause then the movie again stops to buffer every couple seconds.

It also randomly pixelates at times even though it has clearly buffered a bit (screenshot attached). Speedtest result also attached.

Reading the other comments, we shouldn't need to be babysitting our streaming and sticking temporary band-aids on what's obviously a much bigger problem.

I use Netflix as well and so do many friends....and we never have streaming issues.

What's the solution MC as fixing it on a case by case basis is just a band-aid?

MC Marietjie 2017-11-01 13:52

@uelmaree123 - I have shared your complaint with the head of this division and will let you know what feedback I get.

caneman 2017-11-03 17:32

Since the update of the Explora software I have noticed, while I still get Server Discounted breaks during the download, the 10Sec.jump back when watching has been more or less eliminated.:)

MC Marietjie 2017-11-06 11:24

@uelmaree123 - our technical team would like to visit you to diagnose your problem. Would you be willing to let them come to your house?

uelmaree123 2017-11-07 12:44

[QUOTE=MC Marietjie;368927]@uelmaree123 - our technical team would like to visit you to diagnose your problem. Would you be willing to let them come to your house?[/QUOTE]Thanks for the offer Marietjie but what we've seen in this thread for years is that there's a bigger problem with Dstv and it's connections/servers/downloads. I've lived at different locations, used different computers, used different connections and the problems persist. I want THAT issue seen to as that'll most likely fix my problems...

MC Marietjie 2017-11-10 14:30

I spoke to the teams who tell me that they will be in a position in December to give you more detailed feedback on the outcome of a network optimisation project and peering intiatives they are working on.

What we can say is that they are aware that there are isssues and are working hard on getting it fixed. They have already addressed some of these issues recently through internal network optimisation, peering with NAPAfrica and investing in more CDN cached.

This is a very important service to us and it is receiving attention at the highest levels. Thank you for your patience and understanding - we hope to get this flawless soon!

Luke7777 2017-11-10 15:27

Thanks MoM, hoping for some good news in Dec