PDA

View Full Version : LNB Error on DSD 1110(+2) Decoder

curly
2010-06-08, 12:43
Good day.

I have a Single view DSD 1110 (+2) decoder. Bought it last year sometime, but only activated DSTV about 3 months back.

My setup: I have a quad LNB with four cables running out of it. Currently, only one cable is being used, and that is connected to my DSD 1110. Signal strength and quality are 95% and 100%. The other cables are for when i plan to go to HDPVR.

My issue is, when i change a channel to something else, the decoder screen blinks LNB. On screen, theres an error saying "Connection to the LNB has been lost. The decoder will try to reconnect." Or something to that effect. If i leave it to reconnect, sometimes it connects, but most of the time it doesnt. When i doesnt reconnect, all my channels dont work and i have to reset the decoder for it work. While it tries to reconnect, the red light on the front of the decoder comes on (third from the left i think). The process repeats itself.

The way around this that i have found, is that when it says LNB and it cant reconnect, i have to either change a channel up/down, wait for that channel to reconnect, when its connected then i change back to the channel i wanted to watch, the reconnect/LNB error pops up, but it scans it and after about 5-7 seconds it picks up the channel. Sometimes, i have to do it 2 or even 3 times for it to pick up the channel i want to watch.

A practical example is: I will be watching SS3. I want to change to Animax (Channel 126). When i punch it on the remote, or even if i go through the channel select screen, the animax channel does not load, but instead i get this LNB error on the decoder and the screen error mentioned above. If i leave it, most of the time the decoder will not pick up the channel and the red light stays on permanently, and if i change it, i dont pick up any other channels. I have to then reboot the decoder. What i normally do is that i go to channel 125, let that channel get reconnected, once its done, i then go back to Animax, wait for it to reconnect. It usually reconnects after about 5-7seconds.

This has been happening from day one of my installation. And now i have had enough. Is this a decoder problem? If so, should i take it back for a swap out?

Another problem i have seen is that the channel select screen takes ages to load the info on each channel. For example: while watching a channel, i press one of the arrow buttons on the remote to bring up the channel select screen. When i scroll on a channel sometimes it takes about 5-10 seconds to load the channel info.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Geoff D
2010-06-08, 12:50
Good day.

I have a Single view DSD 1110 (+2) decoder. Bought it last year sometime, but only activated DSTV about 3 months back.

My setup: I have a quad LNB with four cables running out of it. Currently, only one cable is being used, and that is connected to my DSD 1110. Signal strength and quality are 95% and 100%.

4 possible causes:

(a) faulty LNB port - prove by moving cable to another port
(b) Faulty cable - check connectors on both ends
(c) Faulty decoder - take in for checking, and at the same time get the s/w version verified
(d) LNB and antenna aligment not optimal - redo or get installer to redo.

gwalker
2010-06-08, 12:56
Good day.

My setup: I have a quad LNB with four cables running out of it. Currently, only one cable is being used, and that is connected to my DSD 1110. Signal strength and quality are 95% and 100%. The other cables are for when i plan to go to HDPVR.

My issue is, when i change a channel to something else, the decoder screen blinks LNB. On screen, theres an error saying "Connection to the LNB has been lost. The decoder will try to reconnect." Or something to that effect. If i leave it to reconnect, sometimes it connects, but most of the time it doesnt. When i doesnt reconnect, all my channels dont work and i have to reset the decoder for it work. While it tries to reconnect, the red light on the front of the decoder comes on (third from the left i think). The process repeats itself.

The way around this that i have found, is that when it says LNB and it cant reconnect, i have to either change a channel up/down, wait for that channel to reconnect, when its connected then i change back to the channel i wanted to watch, the reconnect/LNB error pops up, but it scans it and after about 5-7 seconds it picks up the channel. Sometimes, i have to do it 2 or even 3 times for it to pick up the channel i want to watch.

A practical example is: I will be watching SS3. I want to change to Animax (Channel 126). When i punch it on the remote, or even if i go through the channel select screen, the animax channel does not load, but instead i get this LNB error on the decoder and the screen error mentioned above. If i leave it, most of the time the decoder will not pick up the channel and the red light stays on permanently, and if i change it, i dont pick up any other channels. I have to then reboot the decoder. What i normally do is that i go to channel 125, let that channel get reconnected, once its done, i then go back to Animax, wait for it to reconnect. It usually reconnects after about 5-7seconds.

This has been happening from day one of my installation. And now i have had enough. Is this a decoder problem? If so, should i take it back for a swap out?

Another problem i have seen is that the channel select screen takes ages to load the info on each channel. For example: while watching a channel, i press one of the arrow buttons on the remote to bring up the channel select screen. When i scroll on a channel sometimes it takes about 5-10 seconds to load the channel info.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Kind Regards

It sounds like either you have a faulty decoder, or LNB that is not properly aligned. I would suggest checking the decoder at a friends place or taking it in to MC office for testing. However it sounds like you have an installation issue with the LNB (skew angle)

curly
2010-06-08, 12:57
4 possible causes:

(a) faulty LNB port - prove by moving cable to another port
(b) Faulty cable - check connectors on both ends
(c) Faulty decoder - take in for checking, and at the same time get the s/w version verified
(d) LNB and antenna aligment not optimal - redo or get installer to redo.

Good Day Geoff.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

a) Could be, i haven't tried any other port on the decoder.

b) Could be, however, i did try the decoder on one of the other cables coming out of the LNB. Ended up with the same result.

c) Where would i have to take the decoder in for checking? Im in Durbs. Will there be a charge to check it? (Bought the decoder from Game)

d) I did get an installer to do the alignment for the LNB and Dish. The signal strength and quality is 100% and 95%. Just not too sure which % is for quality and which one is for strength.

gwalker
2010-06-08, 13:02
c) Where would i have to take the decoder in for checking? Im in Durbs. Will there be a charge to check it? (Bought the decoder from Game)

MC offices are in Umhlanga
The Glass House
309 Umhlanga Rocks Drive
Umhlanga Rocks

There is no cost to check. Else you can check with a Friend's installatiion

curly
2010-06-08, 13:02
It sounds like either you have a faulty decoder, or LNB that is not properly aligned. I would suggest checking the decoder at a friends place or taking it in to MC office for testing. However it sounds like you have an installation issue with the LNB (skew angle)

Thanks for the reply gwalker.

Will try and test the decoder at my neighbours place.

Surely the LNB skew angle should be perfectly aligned in order to achieve a 100% and 95% signal quality and strength?

curly
2010-06-08, 13:04
MC offices are in Umhlanga
The Glass House
309 Umhlanga Rocks Drive
Umhlanga Rocks

There is no cost to check. Else you can check with a Friend's installatiion

Thanks. Do you by any chance have a contact number for them? I presume their office hours are 8-5pm?

gwalker
2010-06-08, 13:15
Thanks. Do you by any chance have a contact number for them? I presume their office hours are 8-5pm?

http://www.dstv.com/dstvsa/content/en/dstvsa/contact_us

gwalker
2010-06-08, 13:17
Thanks for the reply gwalker.

Will try and test the decoder at my neighbours place.

Surely the LNB skew angle should be perfectly aligned in order to achieve a 100% and 95% signal quality and strength?

Perfectly aligned would be 100%/100%, but 95% seems decent. Check with Neighbor

Tulani
2010-06-08, 13:25
faulty/unsuitable LNB maybe??? and not just the ports....eliminate this possibility

curly
2010-06-08, 14:07
faulty/unsuitable LNB maybe??? and not just the ports....eliminate this possibility

Unsuitable LNB? Can you elaborate on this so i know what to look out for?

Tulani
2010-06-08, 14:24
Unsuitable LNB? Can you elaborate on this so i know what to look out for?

in the sense that 1) the "whole LNB" is not functioning well...only to be eliminated as suggested by others; to try on a friend's installation. 2) i also have found over time that these LNB's work "best" within a specified frequency range. In some cases a "wrong frequency range" will even cut off some channels. This range is specified on the LNB itself or container box. But as to the best frequency range I am not too certain. MC/others will have to verify on that one.