PDA

View Full Version : Mzansi Magic Channel

MC Sue
2010-05-25, 14:33
MZANSI MAGIC Ė M-Net announces new local content channel for DStv subscribers

25 May 2010

South Africaís local production industry received a boost today, with M-Netís announcement of a new local content channel, Mzansi Magic, which will showcase on screens on the 12th of July, 2010. The channel will be available to MultiChoice subscribers on DStv Select, DStv Compact and DStv Premium.

for the full press release, please use the following link
http://www.multichoice.co.za/multichoice/view/multichoice/en/page65?oid=65067&sn=Detail&pid=1

sualk
2010-05-25, 17:00
Who cares?

Revorushin
2010-05-26, 15:30
I care. Just think of all the talent we have in our country. Now think of all that talent being brushed up and all in one place. I can't wait. Besides, it Mnet so it can't be too bad.

H2O_SA
2010-06-30, 10:05
And here I hoped for a quality movie or Sci-Fi channel. Well I guess it helps MC's charity/BEE portfolio.

Tulani
2010-06-30, 15:05
Generally it’s no harm to say thanks. Expectations will always be there but curtsey to each other is key.

Tulani
2010-06-30, 15:08
Generally itís no harm to say thanks. Expectations will always be there but curtsey to each other is key.

beetle bailey
2010-07-01, 21:44
Will apologise and say thanks if, after viewing this channel, I find that it is in fact entertaining. However, from what I have read or heard about this channel it doesn't fill me with great delight. Was hoping that channel 107 would have been an MGM movie or something similar. Even a Sci Fi channel rather than this Mzansi channel.

What is now worrying me is that a month or so ago we were shown another channel number close to the "Soweto" channel. Is this also going to be another African type channel?

I wonder how many viewers in South Africa watch these channels?

ABII
2010-07-01, 21:59
I am sure DStv and MNet are hoping this channel will take off like has Kyknet has with Afrikaans viewers. I won't be watching it, but because it is probably not aimed at me DStv is not worried. This channel makes good business sense though. Much of Satellite TV is all about niching.

Getting back to my demographic ... I seriously hope SciFi is on the cards though :-(

Dyl106
2010-07-03, 08:03
It's just do we have enough local programing for another channel ... if Magic World, Kyknet etc have local programing I think we are all out. Unless they will be repeating SABC productions (unlikely) ... but why do I care if I'm not going to watch :) Wonder what select International programing they will stick on ... what is International ... American programing or ROA programing?

Jasmine
2010-07-03, 19:58
This is one channel I will most certainly not be watching.

Dyl106
2010-07-04, 07:59
Oh my did anybody see the tasteless advert for this channel last night (being Saturday BTW) I don't even think black people would want to watch the stuff thats going on that channel (It makes SABC 1 look like they are producing Hollyood class of tv) ... what a waste of badwidth!

Funkymunkyza
2010-07-04, 10:32
And segregating based on race with their "for brothers from the same mother"
Not that I have any inclination to watch this channel at all, its alongside the Africa Magic channels, Soweto Tv,Magic World and and and.
They do this time and time again. One slogan they came up with for (and then changed) was "Young, Black and gifted" for Channel O. Same channel, "uncolonised" was a slogan used a few years back.
Why this tasteless segregation based upon race happens is beyond me?
Imagine the back lash with a show called "Young Gifted and White"??

Its not on... Keep the politics to the politicians...

Dyl106
2010-07-04, 12:26
Agreed ... persoanlly I don't care if they have slogans like that only if other races can have the same luxuary. Like that advert about what it means to be Indian in South Africa they play on DStv. Where is the advert about what it means to be coloured/white/afrikaans/foreigner etc. I know we have lots of channels for white people, and I know that blacks want their own channels because there are black subscribers but why can't they make some more tailored packages ... it does not have to have the best channels but like Select 2 is aimed at Afrikaans people, why not have one aimed at black, like DStv Indian is aimed at Indians. I'm sure all the other cultures are sick of having white TV only. DStv .... where is the choice. (PS I know we have harped about this many a time - but it's just a reminder to MC) :)

Replacement
2010-07-05, 07:14
My problem with the black channels is that white people dont understand Zulu, Xhosa etc. and think about it for a second. How many black channels are there, and how many afrikaaner channels are there?

I can only think of kyknet., but I can think of multiple black channels. Like Botswana TV etc. The other channels that we have is shown on equal grounds to both parties because the language on them is English. The global standerd language.

Andysor
2010-07-05, 08:28
I agree, I don't see why "black channels" should exist at all. The Indian bouquet isn't the same thing; it shows movies FROM India, not made in the US targeted at Indians. I guess in the US there is a fringe market for this type of thing and large-scale adoption of American values by the young black professionals in this country, so their choice.

I wish MC or SABC (unlikely) could come up with a local show that captured both audiences around OUR national identity, rather than pushing the black demographic towards adopting an American one.

Sankie
2010-07-05, 13:22
Maybe we should reserve judgement (and comment) until we have actually SEEN offerings on the channel.

Greggles
2010-07-05, 13:46
Getting back to my demographic ... I seriously hope SciFi is on the cards though :-(

So you're saying that you're an alien, are you?

Tulani
2010-07-05, 13:52
For as long as people are not tolerant and willing to see beyond race, this debate maybe just a futile exercise.

Replacement
2010-07-05, 14:13
This is one channel I will most certainly not be watching.

Same here. This really doesnt interest me at all

ABII
2010-07-05, 14:20
So you're saying that you're an alien, are you?

I have been called worse! :-)

Back to this topic ... I am not sure why everyone is jumping on this bandwagon. Whether you like it or not, all the satellite channels are aimed at a niche, big or small, and that niche probably appeals to one population group more than another. BBC and Universal is obviously more appealing to a white audience, SS1 and SS2 too. Channel O and Mzansi Magic at a predominantly black audience.
I do not know why different population groups like different things, but it is not a bad thing, it is like Kaya is more for a black audience whereas Highveld is more white.

Multichoice would be idiots to ignore the evolving black middle class.

We do not have "White Entertainment Television" (WET!!), but we do not need to as that kind of content, with local, USA and UK content is the least niched of them all.

We can not ask for things like Sci-Fi and Kerrang and get ticked off when a channel aimed at 80% percent of the population is created.

tsume
2010-07-05, 14:23
I wish MC or SABC (unlikely) could come up with a local show that captured both audiences around OUR national identity

Had discusion with a friend about this. The only two shows which seem to represent South Africa as a whole are Isidingo (SABC 3) & Scandal (E-TV). All the other shows aim at one demographic while these shows represent the mix of SA.

Clicker
2010-07-05, 14:38
I do not know why different population groups like different things, but it is not a bad thing...
Variety is the spice of life. Thank goodness we are not all the same.

We can not ask for things like Sci-Fi and Kerrang and get ticked off when a channel aimed at 80% percent of the population is created.
Hear, hear.

Gert5539
2010-07-06, 04:32
always nice to see more channels that i will not use.

Replacement
2010-07-06, 07:28
Had discusion with a friend about this. The only two shows which seem to represent South Africa as a whole are Isidingo (SABC 3) & Scandal (E-TV). All the other shows aim at one demographic while these shows represent the mix of SA.

Why pay for Mzansi when those shows are free? Its another way to make money

ynot
2010-07-07, 13:26
MZANSI MAGIC Ė M-Net announces new local content channel for DStv subscribers

25 May 2010

South Africaís local production industry received a boost today, with M-Netís announcement of a new local content channel, Mzansi Magic, which will showcase on screens on the 12th of July, 2010. The channel will be available to MultiChoice subscribers on DStv Select, DStv Compact and DStv Premium.

for the full press release, please use the following link
http://www.multichoice.co.za/multichoice/view/multichoice/en/page65?oid=65067&sn=Detail&pid=1

We might as well stick to watching 3rd rate SABC and ETV!!! Can you please give us our money's worth.

Toilet Duck
2010-07-07, 15:01
Afro Music? I don't understand why we need this, most the music channels play the same type of music already.
Mzansi Magic makes perfect sense, you should have a look how many DStv dishes have gone up in the townships during the WC. This channel launches just after the WC, way to keep the subscriptions.

tl1987
2010-07-07, 16:27
What bout customers out of SA, m in Bots nd hav 2 pay 4 Mk, kowees,e news, kyknet, AfricaMagic(tasteles low budget movies *2 from west africa) nw MZ magic, all channels we dont identify with. Mc should thnk of adding an american channel 4 us, hbo, bet or comedy central not another 1 sided channel like a sci fi or mzanzi/suid africa channel

tsume
2010-07-07, 17:10
What bout customers out of SA, m in Bots nd hav 2 pay 4 Mk, kowees,e news, kyknet, AfricaMagic(tasteles low budget movies *2 from west africa) nw MZ magic, all channels we dont identify with. Mc should thnk of adding an american channel 4 us, hbo, bet or comedy central not another 1 sided channel like a sci fi or mzanzi/suid africa channel

I believe that channel is called Botswana TV

Cedric
2010-07-07, 17:45
It is more of a class divide rather than a racial one. Lower class people will tend to enjoy watching poor quality programming such as those Amag channels. There is also a regional divide, i don't see how the nigerian films from Africa magic would fall into the black south african demographic, it's like saying that British people enjoy watching Russian programming because they're both white. Not sure what Mzansi magic will show, but looking at the advert, it doesn't seem like it will be good quality programming.

tl1987
2010-07-07, 21:54
I believe that channel is called Botswana TV

You believe wrong, Btv is not a dstv channel it is financed and run by the Bots gov. Its like the sabc's u get them for free, dats why they all have poor programming

tsume
2010-07-07, 22:43
You believe wrong, Btv is not a dstv channel it is financed and run by the Bots gov. Its like the sabc's u get them for free, dats why they all have poor programming

You stated that you where from Botswana & went to mention channels that you don't identify with, thus I stated BTV regardless who produces it (yes wittiness is difficult transcribe through a forum without smileys:p:p:p).

tl1987
2010-07-08, 00:40
You stated that you where from Botswana & went to mention channels that you don't identify with, thus I stated BTV regardless who produces it (yes wittiness is difficult transcribe through a forum without smileys:p:p:p).

I mentioned dstv channels that i dont identify with, btv is not a dstv channel nd i dnt pay 4 it, thats y i didnt mention sabc's ey are also free to air not Mc owned, understand that btv is not a channel commisioned by Mc for the bots demo, its just a botswana channel that anybody can get 4 free. I also mentioned that i would prefer channels that are not 1 sided to nationality or race or a specific genre kinda like m net. No smileys for me thank u, i am a grown man!

Dyl106
2010-07-08, 10:55
how about a spelling channel - for grown men?

Truth be told such a channel would not be the worst idea possible.

tl1987
2010-07-08, 11:29
how about a spelling channel - for grown men?

if it includes punctuation help, i'd be happy to get it

Dominic
2010-07-08, 15:50
if it includes punctuation help, i'd be happy to get it

All that I'm going to watch on this channel is:

Laugh Out Loud & I Wanna Be.

Please add more such South African content in 107

Superman89
2010-07-08, 16:00
It's just do we have enough local programing for another channel ... if Magic World, Kyknet etc have local programing I think we are all out. Unless they will be repeating SABC productions (unlikely) ... but why do I care if I'm not going to watch :) Wonder what select International programing they will stick on ... what is International ... American programing or ROA programing?

Mzansi Magic = Pimped up version of any other version of local tv :D

tsume
2010-07-08, 22:31
All that I'm going to watch on this channel is:

Laugh Out Loud & I Wanna Be.

Please add more such South African content in 107

LOL is going to be on the channel? I might just watch the channel just to remeber how the show was & how bad they pulled a prank on Ferdinand. I just saw the ad, well I wasn't excited I couldn't help but notice that they might be showing Trevor Noah stand up show...so it's seems I might be lingered into watching.:o

Where's the TV Guide?

Revorushin
2010-07-09, 20:53
The channel looks interesting. A few good local shows that will be watched. Definately a favourite.

tsume
2010-07-10, 23:49
Since this channel is here to stay for ever how long, I might as well ask for some SA shows:

"The Pure Monate Show", this show launched a lot of comedians careers (David Kau, Kooler box, Kim Engelbrecht, Joey Rasdien). Found this clip (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=10145904) while thinking about the show today.

"Suburban Bliss", the show had a South African acting legend (the grandpa, sorry forgot his name).

Seems you'll also show South African movies only noted (Footskating 101 and White Wedding so far), but I'm sure there are a lot of others and not just the regular Leon Schuster festival (though it would be great to show his movies in moderation). I'd like to see "Faith like Potatoes" and also "Bunny Chow".

arnom
2010-07-12, 18:44
Sorry But does Mzansi mean Rubbish?

Merv
2010-07-12, 18:57
Sorry But does Mzansi mean Rubbish?

Let's see how to find out http://tinyurl.com/2ezq25v

arnom
2010-07-12, 19:01

Well Done Merv! The question was sarcastic:D

Dyl106
2010-07-12, 19:35

I like that!!!!

Andysor
2010-07-21, 20:40
I think the Mzansi Magic Channel has been great so far! I genuinely have enjoyed some of the short films, and I own the White Wedding DVD which was shown the other day.

I think people who are ignoring it out of principle should have a look at it and learn to appreciate original, real SA film making as opposed to what is all to often generic, formulaic American stuff.

The only negative I have is that several shows have been shown in letterbox. Please make them native 16:9.