PDA

View Full Version : Usb function on hd pvr

JiteshM
2009-07-29, 15:37
Hi There

I was just wondering when the USB function will be enabled on my HD PVR Decoder.
The last time I called the Multi Choice call centre, an agent told me they are currently working on it, but that was a while back..

That is a very useful feature and I would really love to use it sooon.

Thanks;)

JG
2009-07-29, 15:51
Welcome!
Don't get your hopes up. Don't believe everything a call centre agent tells you.
This may take years, if at all.
See this thread:
http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=3329

JiteshM
2009-07-29, 15:59
Welcome!
Don't get your hopes up. Don't believe everything a call centre agent tells you.
This may take years, if at all.
See this thread:
http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=3329

Damn thats terrible news.. .. Wonder whats the point in buying a Decoder with USB out and not enabling it..

I gather from the above thread that even if they did activate the port, I wouldn't be able to export the recordings to my PC..

And I had my hopes up all for nothing..:(

JG
2009-07-30, 08:38
We're more likely to see the external SATA port enabled on the HDPVR than the USB ports.
This would allow you to add an external HDD to expand storage on the decoder, but viewing of these recordings (on the external HDD) would only be possible on the decoder itself as they will be encrypted (like current internal HDD content).
Best use for the USB ports so far is powering an external fan to cool the decoder :(

Second prize is transferring recordings to a PC via a video capture card.

JiteshM
2009-07-30, 09:11
Is there any way I can transfer the movies onto my pc and burn to dvd..

Like Prison Break for example.. I would love to have the whole series burned to DVD..
How can i do this .. Will a tv card enable me to do that.. :rolleyes:

Admin
2009-07-30, 09:49
Is there any way I can transfer the movies onto my pc and burn to dvd..

Like Prison Break for example.. I would love to have the whole series burned to DVD..
How can i do this .. Will a tv card enable me to do that.. :rolleyes:

Sorry Jitesh - that is not possible as it would lead to piracy.

JiteshM
2009-07-30, 09:52

Didnt think of it in that way hey...
But thats true.. it will lead to piracy

JG
2009-07-30, 12:04

I know this is moving off topic, but since it is being discussed here:
If it is burnt to DVD (either via a DVD Recorder or via TV capture card -> MPEG -> DVD) and used for personal use only, is it still regarded as piracy?

I often record items from the decoder via a TV capture card onto my netbook (directly to HDD, not onto DVD) to view during flights or when away for the weekend. I delete it when done viewing. Surely this can't be considered as piracy?

I can understand MC and the content distributers do not want content to be transferred digitally and redistributed.

BBJSportGuy
2009-07-30, 12:17
Will lead to Piracy? Really? We better call the cops then and warn them about the pirates that are selling DVD burners that can record TV programmes. Those guys are surely breaking the law.

C'mon Admin, you telling me that people have never recorded TV programmes off the air? Lead to piracy my ass!

J

hvandyk
2009-07-30, 15:24

It is only seen as piracy if you resell the content.
If I record the content on normal VHS and use it for personal use, it is not piracy, the same will apply, if I record the content to disk / dvd and use it for personal use.

The above statement does not hold any ground within this context

Barendb
2009-07-31, 08:26
HD-Fury.

SD_PVR_ISSUES
2009-08-07, 13:54
On That Subject,

Is there any way that I can extend the size of my PVR's hard drive - plug in a Portable disk or sumthin? The current disk is full and I just have too many serieses taped that hasnt finished their current season and I like to watch the whole series on a weekend type thing.

Geoff D
2009-08-07, 14:02
On That Subject,

Is there any way that I can extend the size of my PVR's hard drive - plug in a Portable disk or sumthin? The current disk is full and I just have too many serieses taped that hasnt finished their current season and I like to watch the whole series on a weekend type thing.

No, none is short answer!